Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Was just in a match with someone with the username SwiftBoatVetsFor911Truth. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Kesper North posted:

Was just in a match with someone with the username SwiftBoatVetsFor911Truth. :tinfoil:

yea that's pacra. he's a "goon"

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I finally unlocked the Zao thanks to some hardcore Ibuki grinding with the win bonus + Christmas gold camo. Mother of god it is everything I dreamed it would be. The guns are loving railguns and you can just deliver absurdly accurate HE volleys while stealthed at 16+km. Those torps are lighting fast too, I'm in love.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

hi

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, we've had an awful lot of people poppin around on teamspeak, its pretty cool. Get on TS and play boats with other nerds. I'll be on less this week, lots of work upcoming. My job inversely gets busy with the retail cycle.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
just had a game in my new carrier where I couldnt control my planes anyway. The icon switched to a circle with a line through it and they just flew around my carrier at low speed. Did I gently caress something up?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Ghetto Prince posted:

just had a game in my new carrier where I couldnt control my planes anyway. The icon switched to a circle with a line through it and they just flew around my carrier at low speed. Did I gently caress something up?

You got sky cancer. It's terminal.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Kesper North posted:

In case it ends up being useful to anyone, I was eventually able to fix my EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION issue by:

1) Uninstalling all Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable runtimes.
2) Uninstalling WOWS.
3) Accidentally installing WOWS from worldofwarships.eu, which would only allow me to select the EU server in the dropdown.
4) Uninstalling WOWS again.
5) Installing WOWS from worldofwarships.com.

:iiam:

Aslain's WoWS mods has an app that allows you to change your world region with the push of a button. Sorry, should have told you this before all that downloading maybe.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
What voicechat and ingame chat channels are EU goons hanging around in these days, anyway?

Edit: Also, got my Emden. The "set 20 things on fire" final leg of the challenge was done in three games. HE-spam Kuma is still a ludicrous murderboat.

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 29, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Main Battery Modification 2 says:

Increases the traverse speed of the main turrets:

+10% to main battery loading time
+15% to the main battery traverse speed

Is that just Russian for "10% improvement in loading time" or does this actually mean that if I'm in a slugging match with another BB he's just going to outdamage me because I'm taking 10% longer to load each salvo?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
yes that modification is a trade-off. you improve turret traverse at the cost of reload speed

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Main Battery Modification 2 says:

Increases the traverse speed of the main turrets:

+10% to main battery loading time
+15% to the main battery traverse speed

Is that just Russian for "10% improvement in loading time" or does this actually mean that if I'm in a slugging match with another BB he's just going to outdamage me because I'm taking 10% longer to load each salvo?

It's just a bad upgrade. There's maybe 1 ship at it could be useful on, I forget which one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

PirateBob posted:

It's just a bad upgrade. There's maybe 1 ship at it could be useful on, I forget which one.

On the other hand, at tier 9 there's Main Battery Mod 3 which does the opposite, and is useful for some ships.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

On the other hand, at tier 9 there's Main Battery Mod 3 which does the opposite, and is useful for some ships.

They should give that to the atlanta :getin:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So according to the WoWs forums, the Karlsruhe is a bad ship. That was my first match in her, with the modules unlocked with free xp.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Magni posted:

So according to the WoWs forums, the Karlsruhe is a bad ship. That was my first match in her, with the modules unlocked with free xp.

WoWS forums are not wrong.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Good thing then that that one match put me like 40% on the way to the Königsberg already. :smug:

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 29, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PirateBob posted:

It's Yamato. Anything to reduce that monstrous 72 second rotation is arguably worth the 3 second slower reload speed. You don't necessarily need it, but it actually can be useful for that singular ship.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, how do nazi cruisers and russian DDs work anyway? You know, outside the german T2-3 and russian T2-4 seeming to be complete junk. (Jury's still out on the Karlsruhe.) Seriously, what are the Derzki and Izyaslav supposed to do outside of suicide-charging other ships?

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 30, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Magni posted:

So, how do nazi cruisers and russian DDs work anyway? You know, outside the german T2-3 and russian T2-4 seeming to be complete junk. (Seriously, what are the Derzki and Izyaslav supposed to do outside of suicide-charging other ships?)

Derpski and Easy supposed to shoot guns a lot. You meet enemy DD you shoot it and kill it. And they are not junk. I liked both of those ships. Russian DDs are gunboats with torpedoes for good ambush. Russian DDs have best guns out of DD lines and they are speediest buggers. German cruisers are support ships. Little armor, sluggish rudder, bad HE shells. On other hand they have best AP shells and best range out of their peers. Konigsberg is arguably best tier 5 CA.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Picked the game up again for a bit after not having played since beta. Either I've gotten worse or the Kawachi is just as garbage as it was back then - no range, no speed, no armor, no damage (except for that one hilarious time when you full pen a cruiser with AP and oneshot him).

The Phoenix is just as amazing as I remembered, though:

Died at the very end against the very last Wyoming when I was trying to pick that last kill up. Oh well.

A question, though: High Alert or Superintendent for a US cruiser captain? I've tried to look it up but nothing I've found will tell me what consumables higher tier US cruisers will get. If it's just Hydroacoustic Search and the spotting plane all the way I'm thinking I might go High Alert instead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TheFluff posted:

A question, though: High Alert or Superintendent for a US cruiser captain? I've tried to look it up but nothing I've found will tell me what consumables higher tier US cruisers will get. If it's just Hydroacoustic Search and the spotting plane all the way I'm thinking I might go High Alert instead.

At tier 6 you get the option to swap Hydro for Defensive Fire, which messes up bomber drops inside your AA radius and buffs AA damage. It's a little less useful now than before, since CVs are whiny pieces of crap rarer.

At tier 9 you get Damage Control Party, which is the heal BBs get. The cruiser version was recently buffed to have 33% of citadel damage be repairable, but still has one less charge than the BB version.

Note that all consumables get one more charge when using the premium versions.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Got a Myoukou. It looks fat and has a repair bill to match.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I think my most amusing experience in the Kawachi was firing a broadside at a cruiser retreating behind an island, realize I'd aimed decently behind him(it was a snap shot), and proceed to watch one shell deviate far off from my aim point, at an extremely strange angle at that, fly over the hill and Detonate him.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Koth posted:

I think my most amusing experience in the Kawachi was firing a broadside at a cruiser retreating behind an island, realize I'd aimed decently behind him(it was a snap shot), and proceed to watch one shell deviate far off from my aim point, at an extremely strange angle at that, fly over the hill and Detonate him.

That's called "Balance"

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So I've been fiddling with the graphics file for the shell smoke trails, and accidentally came up with this:

I don't know if its :awesome: or :shrug:.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MREBoy posted:

So I've been fiddling with the graphics file for the shell smoke trails, and accidentally came up with this:

I don't know if its :awesome: or :shrug:.

That seems cool. It'd probably be hugely distracting, though, but it also clearly delineates what angle your shells are coming in from. Have you considered fiddling with the ricochet graphic? Making it more obvious would be useful in telling people when their shells are bouncing off the deck or something.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
MRE what file specifically is that? I have seen the mods for the tracers, I wonder how this would interact with that file.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Okay, whoever gave me advice to play the Izyaslav as a gunboat, thank you. God, this tzarist rustbucket is hilarious. I'm bullying cruisers with it. :stare:

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Magni posted:

Okay, whoever gave me advice to play the Izyaslav as a gunboat, thank you. God, this tzarist rustbucket is hilarious. I'm bullying cruisers with it. :stare:

Izy is where the Russian DDs stop being bad and grow into their role of harassing boats that are bigger than them.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Derzki is not bad for a tier three when fully upgraded and a good commander. People at that tier are surprisingly unaware of what happens when you let a DD in close enough to unload 10 torpedoes on you and it can reload before you have time to react well. The dude chasing you has cause to worry because you can unload on it too. I dumped 6 into a South Carolina sank it while the remaining 4 went to a Wickes who was pursuing me, sank it too.

What sucks is you have to get up close and personal else the 3km range on them means poo poo. But you can unload volley after volley without a care in the world almost.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Magni posted:

If you switch to AP when bullying thin-skinned cruisers like Tenryu, Kuma and Phoenix you can outright kill them with couple of good volleys.

demonR6 posted:

Derzki is not bad for a tier three when fully upgraded and a good commander. People at that tier are surprisingly unaware of what happens when you let a DD in close enough to unload 10 torpedoes on you and it can reload before you have time to react well. The dude chasing you has cause to worry because you can unload on it too. I dumped 6 into a South Carolina sank it while the remaining 4 went to a Wickes who was pursuing me, sank it too.

What sucks is you have to get up close and personal else the 3km range on them means poo poo. But you can unload volley after volley without a care in the world almost.
Generally, in my experience, you have pretty good chances to close the gap in Derpski. Kawachi and South Carolina just cannot reliably hit you. St.Louis is very dangerous but it can be ambushed and then its not avoiding point-blank torpedo wall. And it feels like you outshoot Tenryu specially if it shows you broadside. It has 20 seconds torpedo reload. It is very very dangerous ship if sailed smart.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I just started. I've never played a World Of... game or warboat game before. How do the tier 1 ships stack up vs one another? Is there anything I should be saving for to unlock? Any brand new player guides worth looking at? For fucks sakes how do you aim

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 30, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lady Morgaga posted:

If you switch to AP when bullying thin-skinned cruisers like Tenryu, Kuma and Phoenix you can outright kill them with couple of good volleys.

Is there an easy way to know which ships I can AP? Before starting a match I'd like to make a list of who is vulnerable in the ship I'm driving.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Lady Morgaga posted:

With the Gnevny, yeah. Just fuckin' erased a poor Omaha that blundered into me around a corner with those 130mm guns while he panicked and tried to torp me. Tried the same with the Izzy earlier, but her 102mm guns aren't quite up to that with any kind of reliability.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sharzak posted:

I just started. I've never played a World Of... game or warboat game before. How do the tier 1 ships stack up vs one another? Is there anything I should be saving for to unlock? Any brand new player guides worth looking at? For fucks sakes how do you aim

For the unlocks, you'll get a certain amount of "free" xp in addition to regular XP. You generally want to never spend this on a ship, but instead on unlocking an upgrade for that ship as soon as possible (usually the first hull upgrade or a gun upgrade).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Morgaga posted:

Generally, in my experience, you have pretty good chances to close the gap in Derpski. Kawachi and South Carolina just cannot reliably hit you. St.Louis is very dangerous but it can be ambushed and then its not avoiding point-blank torpedo wall. And it feels like you outshoot Tenryu specially if it shows you broadside. It has 20 seconds torpedo reload. It is very very dangerous ship if sailed smart.

Yeah it have had a couple of good matches and others where I got one shotted by the South Carolina that had good aim. ;)

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

wdarkk posted:

For the unlocks, you'll get a certain amount of "free" xp in addition to regular XP. You generally want to never spend this on a ship, but instead on unlocking an upgrade for that ship as soon as possible (usually the first hull upgrade or a gun upgrade).

OK. I just barely unlocked the tech tree. Is there a good first ship to go for? Or at least any in particular to avoid?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is there an easy way to know which ships I can AP? Before starting a match I'd like to make a list of who is vulnerable in the ship I'm driving.
Good thing that only cruisers go on this list. I dont have high tier ships unlocked so I dont know if the rule holds up but AFAIK any cruiser can citadel another cruiser of same tier with exception of St.Loius and Cleveland . St.Loius has practically battleship armor, Cleveland has bizarrely placed and well armored citadels. German cruisers are least armored ships, USN best armored with exception of Phoenix and Pensacola that are not well armored and IJN are in the middle so IJN cruisers can angle armor better but still can be easily penetrated if it shows flat broadside. Now while DDs generally shoot HE Russian DDs can citadel cruisers of its tier. USN DDs guns are smaller caliber then peer DDs of Russian line and so penetrations might be more iffy on USN cruisers with exception of Phoenix. IJN DDs guns are for defense. If you in position that you have to use your guns you are probably dead whatever you load in them.

EDIT:To expand a bit about IJN DD guns. Its not like you never shoot them. If you can secure a kill you do it, if you can help pile some more damage on a cruiser that busy fighting with another cruiser you shoot them. It just that you dont go into gun duel expecting to win it. The guns have atrocious reload times with atrocious turn rates.

Magni posted:

With the Gnevny, yeah. Just fuckin' erased a poor Omaha that blundered into me around a corner with those 130mm guns while he panicked and tried to torp me. Tried the same with the Izzy earlier, but her 102mm guns aren't quite up to that with any kind of reliability.
Yes I think Izy will have problems penning Omaha. Izy's peers though like a butter. :)

Sharzak posted:

OK. I just barely unlocked the tech tree. Is there a good first ship to go for? Or at least any in particular to avoid?
Go for USN cruiser line and IJN destroyer line. Play with those and then branch out to whatever. IMO those are line to play as you learn the game. USN cruisers considered to be strong up to tier 7, IJN DDs have torpedo ranges longer then range they getting spotted.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lady Morgaga posted:

Cleveland has bizarrely placed and well armored citadels.

USN cruisers considered to be strong up to tier 7

As a correction - Cleveland citadels have been for the most part fixed and should be in line with the rest of the USN cruiser line - somewhat harder to pen than other boats, but still doable.

And you mean strong up to tier 6, not including tier 7, the Pensacola.