Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kalstrams posted:

Spoiler should read properly now.
Why is the rate per 100,100 people? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

davebo posted:

So New Brunswick types in google.com, hits enter then googles Facebook and clicks on the first result instead of just going to facebook.com? Is that province comprised entirely of my boss?

I wish I could find it now, but a few years back a news article on some website accidentally got the top result for "facebook.com" on google, and their comments box was filled with hundreds upon hundreds of confused people trying to log into facebook. It's a bit hard to find on google now, ironically.

for map content, I found this recently and thought it was interesting:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Why is the rate per 100,100 people? :v:
Alright alright, that was 5 am post. I'm already not moving. :eng99:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

What does googling "netflix and chill" even supposed to get you?

If you hear it somewhere and don't know what it means, you might learn by googling it.

MythLisp posted:

Is Nunavut so young as it has a low population with the majority Canadian Aboriginal people with a lower life expectancy?

I know that would be the case in regional Australia.

Yeah more or less. Lots of children, few old people, 85% aboriginal. The numbers are also skewed by Nunavut's high birth rate (highest in Canada) and the fact that a lot of adults leave for economic reasons.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

MythLisp posted:

Is Nunavut so young as it has a low population with the majority Canadian Aboriginal people with a lower life expectancy?

I know that would be the case in regional Australia.

A high birth rate is almost always a bigger contributor to a low median age than a low life expectancy.

Guess which state in the US has the lowest median age? Hint: It's not Mississippi or West Virginia.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

I'm the christmas Barbara

edit: also lol at Beelzebub, gift bringer

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

stds per capita

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

stds per capita

but what about north dakota

or are all the wildcatters already gone

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

It looks like someone took my maps from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_Canada and modified them for this; the lines all seem to match up perfectly, if slightly rotated.

I'm unsure how to feel about that.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

A bit of a tangent, but what I still find really funny is that in regions of Belgium and France they believe that for Easter, the church bells in Rome grow wings and fly over the land dropping chocolate eggs everywhere. Those areas don't 'have' an Easter bunny.

I mean you could say the Easter bunny is weird, but what the hell did those people smoke to believe that church bells grow wings?

Church Beller here. Fight me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I presume this is the percentage of people currently living in a given county who were born in the same state. I'd also be interested in the inverse map, the percentage of people born in a given county who still live in the same state. The differences between the two might be interesting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's interesting how most of the West in general (California and Utah excluded) have large proportions of their population come from different states, even the tiny rural populations. I'd expect some of it just due to the stereotype about Californians coming and ruining everything, but not in middle of nowhere Idaho.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

It's interesting how most of the West in general (California and Utah excluded) have large proportions of their population come from different states, even the tiny rural populations. I'd expect some of it just due to the stereotype about Californians coming and ruining everything, but not in middle of nowhere Idaho.

Most of it makes sense. Even Vermont and New Hampshire (Bostonians and New Yorkers moving out; hell, Bernie Sanders helps contribute to Vermont's redness).

The prominence of some state lines is curious even if it sorta makes sense (people shifting across state lines as they marry/age maybe) but I didn't expect it to be true to this degree.

Also it's weird that some military installations stand out (Ft. Hood in Texas) while many others don't.

I'm also somewhat surprised that only southern cities show up as destinations and not places like San Jose or San Francisco. (I mean, I get WHY they show up, just not why other cities with major work-related migration don't)

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm also somewhat surprised that only southern cities show up as destinations and not places like San Jose or San Francisco. (I mean, I get WHY they show up, just not why other cities with major work-related migration don't)

Probably because this map excludes foreign born populations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Another awesome map.

I like how in some parts the state borders regions are red. Whats the cause of that?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tei posted:

Another awesome map.

I like how in some parts the state borders regions are red. Whats the cause of that?
People moving a few miles down the road and ending up in a neighboring state?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Moving one county over isn't too unusual, but sometimes the county is in another state if you live near the border. Perfectly natural for there to be more interstate migration in border counties. Where it's highlighted are probably areas where the nearest larger city with education or work opportunities is in a border county.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Part of that, I'm guessing, is county size. The four largest counties surrounding Atlanta average ~800,000 people, while Santa Clara County (San Jose) is 1.7 million, Alameda County (Oakland) is 1.5 million, and Los Angeles County is a cool 10 million. I can't really see but it *looks* like San Francisco County is a redder shade, which makes sense, both for what it is, and the fact that it's 'only' 850,000. So it takes a lot fewer people in a county to turn it red for Georgia than for California; remember that the lowest color on this is up to a full half of the population, whereas the other blocks are 5-10% each.

I note Loving County appears to be at the 70%-75% range, meaning roughly... 23 people in the county weren't born in Texas. Who on earth is willingly moving to Loving County from out of state?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What on earth makes the Ozarks so lively?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
California is pretty insular it appears.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They just export people to the surrounding states and Montana.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I'd bet the people living in those green counties of Michigan's thumb are all living in the counties they were born in. It's a bizarre, insular part of an already rather insular state.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Spazzle posted:

Probably because this map excludes foreign born populations.

yeah, this; my town is near san jose, it's majority asian and over 40% of the population was born overseas (be it china, india, afghanistan or mexico)

Ofaloaf posted:

What on earth makes the Ozarks so lively?

i've seen branson market itself as a "family-friendly vegas" in an old timeshare brochure from a decade ago

also can i say i'm surprised all the nevada counties are red on this map? even the ones aside from washoe and clark

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 30, 2015

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Golbez posted:

I note Loving County appears to be at the 70%-75% range, meaning roughly... 23 people in the county weren't born in Texas. Who on earth is willingly moving to Loving County from out of state?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentone,_Texas#Alleged_takeover_attempt_by_the_.22Free_Town_Project.22

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

also can i say i'm surprised all the nevada counties are red on this map? even the ones aside from washoe and clark

Most of the smaller counties in Nevada have doubled in population since just 1980, for whatever reason, be it people wanting to move to the big empty, or mining picking back up, or new tourist attractions needing labor. That can't all just be from in-staters and births.

Hell, the larger ones too - Clark County is now *four* times larger than it was in 1980.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

ugh I'm so glad I'm not a libertarian anymore.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Albermarle County is the island of cherry-red in west-central Virginia, circling Charlottesville. It's also Virginia's wine and horse country, where an inordinate number of wineries (including Trump's) are located. I can believe it's only half natives.

Also visible is the DC agglomeration, trailing down from Arlington toward Stafford. The dark red in the southeast is VA Beach, obviously, but I'm not sure about the one on the peninsula between Richmond and Norfolk. James City or York County, I think, so it's probably down to military bases. We've got a lot of them. I think the one down in the far southwest is just people straying across the border from Tennessee.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Their website is still up: http://freetownproject.com

The Free Town Project posted:

The Free Town Project intends to liberate either a New Hampshire Town, or a Western County, by moving in enough Libertarians to control the local Government and remove oppressive Regulations (such as Planning & Zoning, and Building Code requirements) and stop enforcement of Laws prohibiting Victimless Acts among Consenting Adults, such as Dueling, Gambling, Incest, Price-Gouging, Cannibalism, and Drug Handling.

:stare: These are the examples that they picked themselves. And prominently placed in the intro section of the page. Not Jeffersonian ideals of limited government or anything, nope. Dueling, incest, price gouging and cannibalism are what they stand for.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Whiteness is a social construct the nature of which changes from generation to generation, A Good Map.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can think of a few people who would be proud that Merseyside is outside the boundaries of so-called civilization.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

For some reason, white supremacists have a hard-on for the Holy Roman Empire and its various descendents and bastard children with Christian Scandinavia. I wonder why this could be. I mean, this map is literally just HRE.jpg plus the most Normanized bits of England and the populated parts of Scandinavia, leaving out the bits that stayed with ancestral belief practices longest.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Where's the ["Germany is a poo poo country" S. Räty 1993] label?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I can think of a few people who would be proud that Merseyside is outside the boundaries of so-called civilization.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that map posted proudly in Breton language Facebook groups.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Quorum posted:

For some reason, white supremacists have a hard-on for the Holy Roman Empire and its various descendents and bastard children with Christian Scandinavia. I wonder why this could be. I mean, this map is literally just HRE.jpg plus the most Normanized bits of England and the populated parts of Scandinavia, leaving out the bits that stayed with ancestral belief practices longest.

Well, I have to admit Yorkshire was one of the most Norman bits of England…

Because William the Conquerer perpetrated a massive genocide that made the North empty and barren for decades

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Quorum posted:

That's not the HRE, it's Charlemagne's Empire.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Ukrainians- a decidedly oriental kink in their brains :lol:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Byzantine posted:

That's not the HRE, it's Charlemagne's Empire.

Well, granted-- crusader kings 2 leads me to conflate the two, and the HRE certainly liked to trace itself directly to Charlie.

Either way, very much germaniceurope.jpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

2014-2015 data, subject matter is an internal affair of the United States.