Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My city has a Little India, and my god some of the restaurants are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Plentiful Indian + Middle Eastern restaurants is one of the best draws of living in a big city, loading up on multiple days worth of shawarma and falafel for like $6.17 is bachelor heaven

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 30, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snak posted:

I like the movie Sunshine and the concept of sky burial. Where does that put me?

I don't know I know what Tengrism is. Unless it's the worship of Tengu, in which case I could make some educated guesses.

Tengrism is a shamanistic religion that was the dominant religion among Turkic people's for centuries. It was also the religion of the Mongols and the Hungarians before they converted to Islam and Christianity. It is a very animist religion with countless of local gods and ancestral spirits but the main gods are usually Tengri, the sky god, and Umay/Eje, the earth goddess. Tengrism is somewhat notable for being really open about other religions. One of the central ideas of Tengrism is that there is no one true religion. Because of this religious freedom was usually high in areas conquered by Tengrist hordes such as the Mongols. However on the flipside this also meant that it was fairly easy to convert the worshippers of Tengri since it's pretty hard to be zealous when your religion says that it isn't the best religion.

Most of the Tengrist nations became Muslims in the middle ages but there are a few tiny pockets of paganism here and there in Central Asia. In Mongolia as much as 18% of people are Tengrists but it has been heavily influenced by Buddhism so sometimes it can be hard to distinguish between the two.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do you listen to the History of Alchemy podcast?

Will they teach me to gain personal strength of body and soul through alchemical rituals?

^Oh that's really cool

I'm really into early/mid Abrahamic ideas. Catharism (and dualist religions in general) are pretty loving cool. The Cathar religion and the subsequent threat it created to the Catholic Church is a really interesting period of history. Everyone knows about the crusades against Islam, but the average person does not know that after/during that, Christians burned thousands of other christians alive for reading the bible wrong. The Cathar Heresy was so insidious that Catholic Cardinals were looking at it and going "oh hey, that makes sense" and converting to it, which is why they had to be so violently stamped out.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 30, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The really good Indian restaurants near me have this delicious spicy tomato soup, and if you order naan, it comes with this cilantro dipping sauce. Dump that sauce in the tomato soup, and hooooooooooooly gently caress, it's out of this world.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'll probably just get nachos or fajitas at Chilis. Those things are hard to gently caress up. Also, I realized my city has no non-chain Mexican restaurant. It's just Chilis and Taco Time. If I were ever crazy enough to open a restaurant I'd probably do Mexican food.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

All the time is taco time.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also because there are a lot of dope restaurants in the area and I like food. Food is good and cool. Except when it's hot.

You ever go to Chef Ron's? I could die happy right after eating at that place every time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's rare to find a good Indian/Pakistani restaurant. I've been to a great one in Texas, there's Choolah which is like a Chipotle for Indian and Saffron Patch. They rip you off a lot. Choolah is ok for quick Indian. Home cooked is better and if you have a grocer, use Shan Masala.

Mac and Cheese bites are cool. There's a Grilled Cheese restaurant here called Melt that has good sandwiches.

Texas has awesome food and trucks. There's a Taco one Veracruz in Austin, as well as a Kebabalicious and the best food truck I've been to called Bellatrinos that has great pizza and sandwiches. They're light and not heavy and very fresh tasting.

I've had numerous Breakfast for Dinner ideas for restaurants but need to sack up and execute.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
HUNDU, the Occult of Personality podcast is pretty interesting too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Doughbaron posted:

You ever go to Chef Ron's? I could die happy right after eating at that place every time.
Well now I feel like I've hosed up because I just looked it up and I work like 5 minutes away from that place but I've never been :stare:

I've been to City Diner a bunch of times, though, and that's right around the corner. City Diner rules. Their pancakes are massive.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

Will they teach me to gain personal strength of body and soul through alchemical rituals?

^Oh that's really cool

I'm really into early/mid Abrahamic ideas. Catharism (and dualist religions in general) are pretty loving cool. The Cathar religion and the subsequent threat it created to the Catholic Church is a really interesting period of history. Everyone knows about the crusades against Islam, but the average person does not know that after/during that, Christians burned thousands of other christians alive for reading the bible wrong. The Cathar Heresy was so insidious that Catholic Cardinals were looking at it and going "oh hey, that makes sense" and converting to it, which is why they had to be so violently stamped out.

Fun Fact: The Norwegian word for heresy (kjetteri) comes from the word cathar.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Fun Fact: The Norwegian word for heresy (kjetteri) comes from the word cathar.

...really. Howabouts did that happen? I wasn't aware that Catharism really spread past France.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

I've never really eaten pork and I'm not about to start.

You don't dig on swine?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IadXx64mOm4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

HUNDU, the Occult of Personality podcast is pretty interesting too.

Ooh, thanks for this. I don't really know where to get podcast recommendations, sometimes.

Glamorama26 posted:

You don't dig on swine?

I guess I just don't care for it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I guess I just don't care for it.

Yeah, but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Pork Sausage. That's the big one. You can makes lots of cuts of meat from lots of animals taste good, but I have never encountered a substitute for pork sausage. I mean, I didn't try very hard... why would I?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Glamorama26 posted:

Yeah, but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know, because I'll never eat the filthy motherfucker.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

My parents have been trying Vietnamese food and I really like it. Rice noodles have a great consistency, the place by us serves fast as hell and I had stir fry that was quite good and not greasy. I think my big culinary revelations of 2015 are:
  • I like bok choi.
  • A good chicken bahn mi sandwich is delicious and warm with just the right amount of spice that compliments that inner warmth.
  • I like pickled veggies, I guess? The first time I tried bahn mi it had pickled carrots which were delicious little bursts of cool flavor that complimented the meal. Before that I tried pickled cactus at this insanely good family-owned authentic Mexican restaurant (coincidentally this is how I also found out I like Mexican-style tacos with cilantro and cactus) and that was good. And before that, an indie taco place had pickled onions which were also sweet bursts of juice in their burritos.
  • I think I still want to try eating crickets.
  • I'm never eating Soylent ever again.
  • A Jimmy Johns Club Lulu is good for the soul when you've worked 9 AM-8 PM and need to be up by 7 AM the next morning.
  • Grease does not agree with me in a bad way.
  • Bacon is really only palatable to me as an accentuation to a meal as long as it doesn't overpower the other condiments/ingredients but instead finds balance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know, because I'll never eat the filthy motherfucker.

I never understood this attitude. For non-vegetarians, I mean. Pigs aren't any grosser that other industrially farmed livestock. Cows, chickens, turkeys, all live in poo poo and filth. Pigs are not different.

Pigs are smarter and cuter, but that is a separate argument.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Ooh, thanks for this. I don't really know where to get podcast recommendations, sometimes.

If you have any interest in John Dee and Edward Kelly and the system of magic they created-- episode 52 is on Enochian Vision Magick and starting out is a little slow but gets really really interesting and is worth a listen.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'll go ahead and state the obvious: that whole exchange is great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
also obvious: I'm dumb and didn't recognize the reference.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeBt8_MMpU8

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

also obvious: I'm dumb and didn't recognize the reference.

Pigs sleep and root in poo poo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tengrism is a shamanistic religion that was the dominant religion among Turkic people's for centuries. It was also the religion of the Mongols and the Hungarians before they converted to Islam and Christianity. It is a very animist religion with countless of local gods and ancestral spirits but the main gods are usually Tengri, the sky god, and Umay/Eje, the earth goddess. Tengrism is somewhat notable for being really open about other religions. One of the central ideas of Tengrism is that there is no one true religion. Because of this religious freedom was usually high in areas conquered by Tengrist hordes such as the Mongols. However on the flipside this also meant that it was fairly easy to convert the worshippers of Tengri since it's pretty hard to be zealous when your religion says that it isn't the best religion.

Most of the Tengrist nations became Muslims in the middle ages but there are a few tiny pockets of paganism here and there in Central Asia. In Mongolia as much as 18% of people are Tengrists but it has been heavily influenced by Buddhism so sometimes it can be hard to distinguish between the two.

Yeah but they still beat up my court chaplain about 3% of the time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Glamorama26 posted:

Pigs sleep and root in poo poo.

yeah, how is that grosser than any industrially farmed livestock?

edit: Also, they don't do that in the wild, because it draws predators right to them.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Snak posted:

They're still doing the Pulp Fiction exchange thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Tl1kvlQU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

I'm still just mindlessly quoting Pulp Fiction, I have no actual point.

My whole life: I have no actual point

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

They're still doing the Pulp Fiction exchange thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Tl1kvlQU

God damnit.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

God damnit.

It's all good my man.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I never get this, because a) bacon just isn't that special and b) it's often said by Americans and god drat American-style bacon is poo poo.

Belly bacon is fine, you just have to cook it properly. Way too many people overcook it and make it crunchy, which is gross.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Belly bacon is fine, you just have to cook it properly. Way too many people overcook it and make it crunchy, which is gross.

Do you mean crunchy as opposed crispy? because I agree on that front, but uncrispy bacon is worthless.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snak posted:

uncrispy bacon is worthless.
http://www.thegreatbritishdiet.co.uk/Images/Bacon.JPG

Does that look crispy to you? Do you not want to gently caress that bacon?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

http://www.thegreatbritishdiet.co.uk/Images/Bacon.JPG

Does that look crispy to you? Do you not want to gently caress that bacon?

That bacon is probably good bacon, I don't know. The lovely bacon we get here at the grocery store must be crispy or bust.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Do you mean crunchy as opposed crispy? because I agree on that front, but uncrispy bacon is worthless.

Crispy is good, yes. Basically you need to take it off before it browns significantly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Crispy is good, yes. Basically you need to take it off before it browns significantly.

Most people who gently caress this up probably do so because bacon browns significantly while resting. If you brown it to the desired color in the pan, it will be loving dark brown burnt by time you eat it. Source: I have burnt a lot of bacon.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I like Lost Highway more everytime I watch it. And it's soooooo fuckin 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Snak posted:

Grats! PMed you.

goodluck

• Locked thread