Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
one of my coworkers has the 17' mbp... its godlike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

battery case is p neat so far

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvCRFhqzDg

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

think different

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Stux posted:

what r u doing on an air where cpu speed is an issue

clutch video editing

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/op-ed-safari-is-the-new-internet-explorer/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theres a few things they list in there that safari notably actually does, like those annoying as poo poo "blah lah site wants to send you notifications" garbage i imagine probably nobody uses

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

13 inch pro is actually v good, just use the screen scaling to get 1680x1050

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you can even run it at 1920x1200 if your eyes have evolved strictly for computer use like me

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

safari is actually :perfect: and i'm glad it isn't filled with whatever steaming turds of technology that dude wants

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
safari is garbage and slow as hell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
which makes it perfect for ios/osx

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ludwig van Halen posted:

safari is actually :perfect: and i'm glad it isn't filled with whatever steaming turds of technology that dude wants

Same, gently caress rich web experiences. You want to make interactive poo poo make an app, I just want to read an article goddamnit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
does any other browser do the whole "bypass google and give you your recommendations" thing

I mean obviously chrome doesn't

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
in safari I can click the AirPlay button on a YouTube video and it plays on my AppleTV, what's the windows equivalent of that shaggar?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Perplx posted:

in safari I can click the AirPlay button on a YouTube video and it plays on my AppleTV, what's the windows equivalent of that shaggar?

MiraCast, no joke

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

idk ive never wanted to play a youtube on a tv

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Perplx posted:

chromecast

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

safari is garbage and slow as hell

actually its good

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

quote:

Although performance has been improving significantly with JSCore and the new WKWebView, the emerging features of the Web platform—offline storage, push notifications, and “installable” webapps—have been notably absent on Safari.

ohhhhh, so safari is good, it just doesn't let you do obnoxious poo poo to my phone like make it ding when someone posts an article on your lovely content aggregator.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

MiraCast, no joke

Is there non-garbage MiraCast hardware?

I have literally no knowledge of MiraCast, just the observation that it appears to be a technology farmed out to a bunch of non-name Chinese OEMs, so I'm wondering if it has features like "working" or "usable latency".

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

In the early 2000s, I was preaching Apple to everyone without being able to come up with better reasons than that it was "just better". Then one day, I got tired of buying a new computer every 6 months, I got tired of products being built to self-destruct, I got tired of the extreme vendor-lock and the arrogant, sadistic relationship Apple has with its customers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

I have literally no knowledge of MiraCast, just the observation that it appears to be a technology farmed out to a bunch of non-name Chinese OEMs, so I'm wondering if it has features like "working" or "usable latency".

The official remote display wireless adaptor seems OK, we're piloting it in a couple conference rooms

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Mad Wack posted:

im getting an apple battery case

Got one for Xmas. Works great. Thanks timb.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

no

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

LOL nilay making GBS threads on mashable for getting access to apple

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

house organ of microsoft pr tired of free studless surface bands, jealous of site that gets free ipads

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-59636.html
looks like iphone 7s plus will have a bit more skus than usual

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kalstrams posted:

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-59636.html

sounds like it'll just have an adapter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

sounds like it'll just have an adapter
oh right, forgot about those. $40 bump on the price tag then

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kalstrams posted:

let me guess, they're standardizing on microusb, not type-c

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

let me guess, they're standardizing on microusb, not type-c
they're letting eu lead here, so yes. basically they adopt eu legislation, which ended up with some 30-40 euro adapter bundled with every phone, and corresponding price bump

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

there's no eu legislation on phone chargers, just them getting some manufacturers (including Apple) to agree to use micro-usb which has since ended. Apple just included an adapter. it'll be comical if Switzerland ends the transition to usb-c before it starts though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

there's no eu legislation on phone chargers, just them getting some manufacturers (including Apple) to agree to use micro-usb which has since ended. Apple just included an adapter. it'll be comical if Switzerland ends the transition to usb-c before it starts though
just agreement used to be the case, but if i'm not mistaken, now there's a law too
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1429097565265&uri=CELEX:32014L0053

quote:

Article 3

Essential requirements

3. Radio equipment within certain categories or classes shall be so constructed that it complies with the following essential requirements:
(a)
radio equipment interworks with accessories, in particular with common chargers;

quote:

Article 49

Transposition

1. Member States shall adopt and publish, by 12 June 2016, the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this Directive. They shall forthwith communicate the text of those measures to the Commission.
They shall apply those measures from 13 June 2016.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
micro-USB is an ugly rear end connector

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

micro-USB is an awful connector

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

shaggar was right about europe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i really wouldn't be surprised if they drop lightining for usb-c and then include a c -> lightining adapter. the new atv already has a usb-c port and obviously the macbook does too

lightning is only usb 2 anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i too would not be surprised to see apple orphan yet another one of their proprietary connectors and its attendant hardware ecosystem. they've been doing it pretty reliably for about 20 years now

• Locked thread