Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Any cursed weapon that spawns before L0 4-1 is a trap, because the cursed caves is a trap. You'll rarely ever have the firepower necessary to clear it pre-loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

It's worth it if you can handle it though, the amount of rads there can gain you 2 levels, and the big chest there has very high level weapons (I think it adds 5 levels). Still I almost never go there without hammerhead, being able to dig into walls is really crucial.

It's not such a big deal if you get an early cursed weapon and can't handle the cursed caves, since you can uncurse it by entering the crown vault before the big dog fight. I like playing with crown of curses, its nice finding overleveled weapons in cursed chests.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Boy, I'm a real poop at this game. I've been to the throne twice, been to level 7 about 5 times, died to L'il Hunter about 27,000 times.

I seem to do well with Crystal and Robot, everyone else I'm farts with.

I'll tell ya, I've gotten much better now that I get the "rhythm" of this game, I just really suck at frenetic bullet hell stuff so unless I get lucky with mutations and guns, i'm toast

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
On a recent video Sleep Cycles gave a tip of just editing your save file to unlock the crown of blood on a character or two, a lot of people who are good now practiced when all the crowns were enabled by default, because it gives you a lot more experience dealing with crowd control, bobbing & weaving, etc etc.

I've been grinding out melting no rhino, no strong spirit runs too, which will force you to pay more attention as well.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Scarier face is a really good mutation if you don't loop regularly. Once you start doing that your builds overkill most of the enemies so scarier face doesn't matter outside of the throne fight. I take impact wrists over face now.

Are there any enemies that Scarier face turns into insta-kills when combined with his ultra? Something I've been wondering. If so, I could still see it being quite useful on loop.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

GlyphGryph posted:

Are there any enemies that Scarier face turns into insta-kills when combined with his ultra? Something I've been wondering. If so, I could still see it being quite useful on loop.

Necromancers. Literally no other enemies, just necromancers. :toot:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It does keep enemies insta-killable for longer as they keep getting more HP with each loop, but that's not super relevant. What matters more is that it gets them to detonatable status faster, especially with impact wrists.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Just got this game for the PS4, it is amazing. It feels like the best SNES game that never existed. Had it three days, can't get past 7-2, at the most. One of the coolest games I've played lately.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Anyway else having issues unlocking Reach the Nuclear Throne skins? I did Melting (no rhino or strong spirit) and Plant (under 10 mins) and neither of the unlocks nor achievements triggered. I died at the throne both times but I thought you didn't need to beat the Throne I, just reach it.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

Anyway else having issues unlocking Reach the Nuclear Throne skins? I did Melting (no rhino or strong spirit) and Plant (under 10 mins) and neither of the unlocks nor achievements triggered. I died at the throne both times but I thought you didn't need to beat the Throne I, just reach it.

Plant is beat the throne in 10 minutes, but Melting should've unlocked if you got to 7-3 without Rhino/Spirit. That's the one B skin I want, but will never try for it (I love melting; I am trash. At melting.)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Hmm okay. I 'liked' grinding for Melting's B skin whether I got the skin or not, I'm wayyyy better at dodging now and recognising when playing aggressive is the safest option. I do miss Melting's active as a panic button for removing all the bullets off the screen with other characters.

Edit: the wiki seems to think both achievements require beating the throne, so I guess so close but so far. Just gotta git gud.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 30, 2015

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, I just did Meltings and the cheevo and unlock didn't pop up. I also crashed on a fun Horror run after that.

As much as I like this game, maybe I should wait until it actually works.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I'm gonna sound stupid now probably, but anyone got any tips on getting to the throne RE: characters, weapons, etc (other than "git gud")? The furthest I've got is 7-2 with a dual-shotgun Steroids, mainly thanks to his throne butt meaning I can just spam bullets everywhere.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

iirc when I unlocked it, it was after I beat the throne. Or maybe it was throne II. You can definitely unlock the B skin, the text is just a bit wrong.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

de la peche posted:

I'm gonna sound stupid now probably, but anyone got any tips on getting to the throne RE: characters, weapons, etc (other than "git gud")? The furthest I've got is 7-2 with a dual-shotgun Steroids, mainly thanks to his throne butt meaning I can just spam bullets everywhere.

Robot with crown of guns is pretty great.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

de la peche posted:

Practice without strong spirit and rhino skin and/or Melting. Most of the time the issue is you're taking too many unnecessary hits. Force yourself to dodge more effectively and play smarter to avoid hits and you'll start reliably reaching the throne.

Ice_Mallet posted:

Yeah, I just did Meltings and the cheevo and unlock didn't pop up. I also crashed on a fun Horror run after that.

As much as I like this game, maybe I should wait until it actually works.
Eh, the important part of the game is fun and fine, so I don't really mind much.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game gave me melting's B skin when I just reached the throne, I didn't have to win. That was an update or two ago and god only knows what they end up breaking or fixing each update now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

de la peche posted:

Take your time clearing levels and prioritize safety; although sometimes safety means stepping out a portal and murdering your way through a crowd of enemies quickly.

Try taking a melee weapon if you aren't, they're wonderful safety nets - they never run out of ammo, you'll almost never miss if you're in range, and they work well as panic weapons because you'll be getting kills and reflecting back attacks by just aiming in the correct cardinal direction and spamming and that's useful when you're new to the game and battles can get overwhelming.

I sort of divide mutations into 3 groups 1)Health 2)Fighting 3)Ammo. Try to get something from every group, but also who you play can determine things. For example steroids needs less fighting mutations because he has double guns, while Fish needs less ammo mutations because he gets more ammo from pick ups. A lot of the fighting type mutations are gun upgrades (laser brain, shotgun shoulders) and you only need one or maybe two of these.

When in doubt, shoot your gun more - if you ever died and you still had ammo left and you hadn't been shooting like a maniac then you maybe you could have lived if you had been shooting like a maniac.

As far as what guns to get, be flexible. Pick your mutations to suit the guns you find, not the other way around. You might find a grenade launcher in 1-1 but that's necessarily a great reason to grab the fire skin upgrade and become immune to explosions. But if you find a weapon you like a bit later on, say in the frozen city, that might be the weapon type you end up sticking with.

I think frozen city is a difficulty jump because weapons that were good enough for desert, sewer, and junkyard stop cutting it when snowbots come up. To deal with snowbots you need a weapon that can put out a lot of damage, and not infrequently either. Simliarly, before you ever get to 7-1 you'd better have some way to really dish out the pain, because Dog Guardians, Heavy Cops, and general enemy spam isn't going to put up with sub par weapons.

If I was going to boil down my advice it's be go slow, prioritize safety, and try to pair a melee weapon with the most dangerous gun you can find for more dramatic moments.

Edit: aaand I just decided to take my own advice and loaded up a game as fish.beat the game the 'real' way for the first time! Desert to junk yard was a slugger and grenade launcher, since I had max bullet ammo from the desert I went nuts with an assault rifle in crystal caves and frozen city 1, similarly dumped all my grenade ammmo on a grenade rifle (great gun) but then on frozen city 3 I got a super crossbow and everything changed. Aside from trigger fingers I hadn't picked a gun mutation yet and my very next level was bolt marrow and I rode that combo all the way to the end. I had to watch star's recent stream to figure out how to get in the vans - I thought you had to hop in before they stopped. Gun warrant + trigger fingers + super crossbow and a hyper slugger to clean up.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 31, 2015

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

This is great advice if you're a dull boringhead. Never have to dodge if you kill everything before it gets to shoot :unsmigghh:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If you're having trouble dodging or are just bad at the game (like me!), go play crystal. Learn how to quickly go into blocking mode to deflect shots. It's become a reflex for me now, and I almost always loop when playing crystal now, compared to looping -sometimes- with other good characters like robot, horror and steroids, and very very rarely looping with anyone else. Also, crystal getting +6 HP as ult is really good, rolling around with 20 HP + bloodlust is boss.

Also, defensive mutations are the best. Bloodlust, Strong Spirit, Hammerhead are top tier, followed by Rhino Skin, Rabbit Paw, Plutonium Hunger, followed by Sharp Teeth, Second Stomach, Gamma Guts. If you keep getting killed by lil' hunters death explosion, take Boiling Veins.

For offensive mutations, Impact Wrist, Trigger Fingers and Bolt Marrow trump all imo. Scarier face is really nice at the start, but doesn't matter -that- much in loops.

Notice how all the best mutations are really good when faced with hordes of enemies: bloodlust, impact wrist, bolt marrow (piercing bolts + homing, yay!), trigger fingers.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

40 hours into the PS Vita version (and maybe 5 hours of the Early Access PC version) and I am not consistently looping with most characters. Current challenge is getting the Melting B skin, I got hit by a stray nuclear ball on 7-2.

My mutations of choice personally are:

Plutonium Hunger: Huge for survivability, much more than Rhino Skin. The magnetism of ammo and health packs turns the throne fight from challenging to fairly easy since you don't have to go out of your way for ammo during the more bullet-helly moments. It's also a must-have for Horror since at Ultra Level you can use your rad beam much more liberally.

Bolt Marrow: Obviously only good if you find a decent bolt weapon. Since bolt weapons are so ammo efficient for the damage they do this upgrade basically means you can spam splinter guns even post-loop and clear decent chunks of areas.

Recycle Gland, Shotgun Shoulders, and Laser Brain are all good for their respective weapon types with SS being maybe the least useful and Laser Brain is a must if you want to use Energy Swords like a pro.

Hammerhead: Maybe it's only because I've been trying to forego Rhino Skin and Strong Spirit for Melting's B skin but Hammerhead is probably the best defensive mutation if you want to just not get hit at all. Very few enemies are smart enough to go around corners and most of the time you will have time to set up a corner choke-point for yourself before mayhem begins with Hammerhead.

Second Stomach or Rabbit Paw: Kind of depends on the character. Second Stomach is best on Robot because of how eating weapons works. Rabbit Paw is great for pretty much anyone else and cuts out a lot of bad luck streaks where you just get no healing for a long time.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Finally got the melting B after God knows how many attempts. I "reached" the throne several times but given I had to beat the throne too I died several times there. Got a clutch cursed energy sword on 7-2, which combined with auto crossbow meant I had enough damage & protection to make it through.

hosed if it wasn't a stressful affair though, at least it's done now so I can let my hair down blowing through a steroids run or two.

Barrington
Oct 5, 2010

Mo' shekels

Samopsa posted:

If you're having trouble dodging or are just bad at the game (like me!), go play crystal. Learn how to quickly go into blocking mode to deflect shots. It's become a reflex for me now, and I almost always loop when playing crystal now, compared to looping -sometimes- with other good characters like robot, horror and steroids, and very very rarely looping with anyone else. Also, crystal getting +6 HP as ult is really good, rolling around with 20 HP + bloodlust is boss.

Also, defensive mutations are the best. Bloodlust, Strong Spirit, Hammerhead are top tier, followed by Rhino Skin, Rabbit Paw, Plutonium Hunger, followed by Sharp Teeth, Second Stomach, Gamma Guts. If you keep getting killed by lil' hunters death explosion, take Boiling Veins.

For offensive mutations, Impact Wrist, Trigger Fingers and Bolt Marrow trump all imo. Scarier face is really nice at the start, but doesn't matter -that- much in loops.

Notice how all the best mutations are really good when faced with hordes of enemies: bloodlust, impact wrist, bolt marrow (piercing bolts + homing, yay!), trigger fingers.

I think this is the best advice for improving your game. My own 'git gud' progression was
- Crystal, using the right click excessively, allowing me to loop pretty consistently
- Horror, with the extra mutation choice for the crutch mutations
- Robot / Steroids / Whoever
- Melting last of all. I tried starting with melting but I'm the kind of player who just gets sad and quit when I keep dying too early

This has resulted in my playstyle being a bit messy and lazy, getting hit a little too often. The last achievement I got was Melting B, and I found it way harder than reaching loop 2 or getting Skelly to ultra.

I still maintain that bandits are the hardest enemy in the game! I feel like I understand the patterns of every other enemy, but they are just so random with their shooting :suicide:. I'd like to see stats on which enemies each character has died to the most.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For me a strong contender for most dangerous enemy is cops or heavy cops shooting from off screen, either because they hit me or I overreact when dodging. Post loop even a couple of those guys spraying from off screen cuts off the ring so if you're in an open area and don't kill them when they arrive things get bad quick.

I feel like they increased the delay in assassin attacks, they used to feel more dangerous.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Barrington posted:

I still maintain that bandits are the hardest enemy in the game! I feel like I understand the patterns of every other enemy, but they are just so random with their shooting :suicide:. I'd like to see stats on which enemies each character has died to the most.

I don't even get mad when a Melting run ends right away from a bandit shooting perfectly through a 1x1 hole in a wall right as I walk up to shoot him directly in the face. 99% of the time they shoot the wall or don't shoot at all, but every once in awhile they just get you and you have to be proud for the guy.

I can't loving loop, and I've only killed the Throne once. I'm slowly bringing up the average area I die in, though, now I've been dying to the little hunter fight over and over again, instead of in the scrap yard. I feel like I've gotten pretty good at dodging, the only bullets I get hit by are the ones I don't notice. But that is the problem, I loose track of bullets sometimes, especially when I'm Steroids and I'm slinging bullets everywhere.

Any tips on how to kill little hunter? The handful of times I've managed to kill him is when I get a lucky spawn in a big area and am able to quickly clear that area out before he spawns. If I spawn in a hallway, I'm basically dead as heck.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

For Little Hunter, you need to play aggressively as soon as you hit 5-3 to clear an arena. The main feature you want is some easy cover, an open room with a block in the middle is a good bet. You have a bit of time to clear before he lands. Stay mobile so that the plasma exhaust he gives off on landing doesn't touch you, or melee through it. Whenever he's summoning more police, he's completely vulnerable and that's the time to just dump ammo into him. His HP is pretty poor, so a powerful load-out may just be able to kill him right off the bat. Failing that, it's super dangerous to attack him since he otherwise will just spray bullets from what appears to be a bouncer shotgun, hyper rifle and maybe others. If you do shoot at him during this time, be sure you're right next to cover so you can immediately fall back behind a wall. Get away from him when he goes into his death throes, since he will take you with him when he finally expires.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit - The above is great advice.

Hit him hard with yv's pop pop. Or make a safe place with hammer head. Or run from him when lands to clear the level. Like you said if you can clear space before he lands that helps but you can keep clearing space once he lands, just move away from him. Since I've started ignoring him and aggressively clearing the level he's gotten easier.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Butyraceous posted:

Any tips on how to kill little hunter? The handful of times I've managed to kill him is when I get a lucky spawn in a big area and am able to quickly clear that area out before he spawns. If I spawn in a hallway, I'm basically dead as heck.

He's an extremely vulnerable boss; he barely has more health than Big Bandit and that is his biggest weakness. A high-powered loadout will get him killed quickly, maybe even instantly. That all doesn't mean much if he murders you though, because he loves to spam bullets.

You can hide behind cover and wait for him to start calling backup, then unload a few shots at him during his downtime. The cops he summons are barely any threat and they might give you some stuff. If this is your plan, then you want to use strong, slow-reload weapons and steer away from bullet weapons. Normally he'll respond to you in the open with straight and fanned bullet patterns that are hard to deal with unless you have a melee weapon or crystal's shield. There are a few ways to make cover (grenades, hammerhead, E. Hammer) if you have to, and you have a little bit of time to do it. You can sit in a spot until you see his shadow there and then bail if you don't like the terrain. He'll take a bit before he jumps again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barrington posted:

I think this is the best advice for improving your game. My own 'git gud' progression was
- Crystal, using the right click excessively, allowing me to loop pretty consistently
- Horror, with the extra mutation choice for the crutch mutations
- Robot / Steroids / Whoever
- Melting last of all. I tried starting with melting but I'm the kind of player who just gets sad and quit when I keep dying too early

I started playing this yesterday and can't stop using Melting even though I never get past World 5. It's just too satisfying making things go splat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
To beat Lil' Hinter, play Steroids and click both buttons in his general direction as soon as he lands.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've looped and stuff, but for me, the worst enemies are and always will be the goddamned scorpions.

Why!? Why would they have first zone enemies shoot projectiles that are almost invisible against the background? What cruel person decided this would be a good idea?

Invisible projectiles are the worst, and while the scorpion bullets might not be invisible they are too damned close.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I hate to say it if it's news to you but if you have trouble seeing the scorpion's bullets you are probably colorblind.

Most likely deuteranomaly, which is difficulty with the color green and is the most common type of colorblindness. That said, most games should feature some sort of colorblind mode!

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 4, 2016

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

I've looped and stuff, but for me, the worst enemies are and always will be the goddamned scorpions.

Why!? Why would they have first zone enemies shoot projectiles that are almost invisible against the background? What cruel person decided this would be a good idea?

Invisible projectiles are the worst, and while the scorpion bullets might not be invisible they are too damned close.

Not trying to be snarky but there may be an issue with your monitor or eyes. Green vs yellow is similar sure but you have trouble picking out that spray? I get surprise d by gold scorpions every time though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Looking them up online they seem to be mostly light yellow, with a little bit of not so light yellow, and a sliver of yellowish green. They are discernable, in that I can make them out with effort and I can see them if I'm actively looking at the scorpion shooting them, but I simply cannot make myself *notice* them if they're coming from off screen the way I can with other bullets. If my eyes aren't focused directly on the bullet itself I can barely see them at all.

Are they completely green for other people or something? That... well, that would certainly make them a lot easier to see...

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Does boiling veins protect you from the blue ring of flames/exhaust that Lil Hunter spits out on landing? I'm grinding out a Melting B-Skin run (made it as far as the throne so far) and was wondering about this.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

GlyphGryph posted:

Looking them up online they seem to be mostly light yellow, with a little bit of not so light yellow, and a sliver of yellowish green. They are discernable, in that I can make them out with effort and I can see them if I'm actively looking at the scorpion shooting them, but I simply cannot make myself *notice* them if they're coming from off screen the way I can with other bullets. If my eyes aren't focused directly on the bullet itself I can barely see them at all.

Are they completely green for other people or something? That... well, that would certainly make them a lot easier to see...

Yup, they are supergreen for me. I guess you have a form of colorblindness!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah they're quite green, that definitely sounds like deuteranomaly unless your monitor is super off. So watch a video of NT/play NT on a phone or different computer to check, I guess.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Does boiling veins protect you from the blue ring of flames/exhaust that Lil Hunter spits out on landing? I'm grinding out a Melting B-Skin run (made it as far as the throne so far) and was wondering about this.
Yes, it does. He does do contact damage if he literally lands right on top of you though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes. You might need to recalibrate your monitor

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

They're radiation coloured neon green, they stand out a lot to me. What do the rads look like to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I finally have discovered the thing that will kill the daily killcount meta once and for all

https://vid.me/6fWh

(apparently this happens when you go to the crib WHILE having activated a non-"sequence" level like jungle, pizza sewers, IDPD)

• Locked thread