Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

I'm not sure if what I intended came across in my post, but the third thing is something that comes up in the film.

I knew, wasn't accusing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Is Confused Matthew actually any good? I know Chuck hypes him up regularly on SFDebris, but every time I try to watch any of his stuff I shut it off after the first five minutes for one reason or another.

No. No he is not, and I am baffled why Chuck would want anything to do with him. But whatever, it's not like I'm being forced to listen to a guy scream about The Incredibles being an evil mean spirited movie.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

No. No he is not, and I am baffled why Chuck would want anything to do with him. But whatever, it's not like I'm being forced to listen to a guy scream about The Incredibles being an evil mean spirited movie.

Sounds like his name is apt. How someone can misinterpret The Incredibles like that is beyond me.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Confused Matthew would be a lot more tolerable if he didn't make claims to being "objective" on all his points. It's okay not to like 2001: A Space Odyssey, it's less so to say that, based on "objective" criteria that you made up, 2001: A Space Odyssey doesn't even qualify as a movie. Objectively.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

He saved Chuck's entire family from a burning building, losing his arm in the process.

Chuck now feels honor bound to help his internet critic career.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wait, how on earth is The Incredibles mean spirited? The only thing I can think of is that whole Objectivist message that some people say it preaches.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wait, how on earth is The Incredibles mean spirited? The only thing I can think of is that whole Objectivist message that some people say it preaches.

He is called Confused Matthew because human storytelling confuses and angers him.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He is called Confused Matthew because human storytelling confuses and angers him.

One has to wonder if he's a relative of Doug Walker.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

TheMaestroso posted:

One has to wonder if he's a relative of Doug Walker.

Nah, just another Nerd raised on genre fiction.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's more of a general comment, but I feel like this whole nerd thing about "plot holes" and poo poo you'll see with Confused Matthew and Cinema Sins is people not understanding human reactions to things. Someone in another thread made the point that it's like they're watching movies like robots looking for the most perfect and streamlined way any character could do any action and anything that isn't perfectly logical is a ~PLOT HOLE~.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Because the villain is evil and tries to kill his opponents while mocking villain tropes and being a straight up scumbag instead. Or as ConfusedMatthew puts it "Are you having fun yet, kids?"

Jeremy from Cinema Sins at least is putting on an act. In his out of character videos he is way more chill, versus his intentionally pedantic plothole detecting persona.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's more of a general comment, but I feel like this whole nerd thing about "plot holes" and poo poo you'll see with Confused Matthew and Cinema Sins is people not understanding human reactions to things. Someone in another thread made the point that it's like they're watching movies like robots looking for the most perfect and streamlined way any character could do any action and anything that isn't perfectly logical is a ~PLOT HOLE~.

I think the thing that made me realize this more than subconsciously is a joke thread on another forum where people pointed out plot holes and storytelling problems in World War 2.

One gem:

quote:

What lost it for me was that the most decisive battle of the Pacific naval war was won because the American fighters just happened to attack the Japanese carriers when all their planes were on deck and switching from fighter ammunition to bombs in order to attack Midway. I mean, the timing was just plain unbelievable.

I also didn't like the deus ex machina of "radar." One side has a secret weapon that can show the other sides planes and ships from a distance, but the other does not? Pretty drat convenient.

And don't get me started on how the British were able to break the German's unbreakable code.

Of course, there's always points about how what's realistic isn't always narratively satisfying etc etc, but the point is there exists pretty much no work of fiction, save perhaps the super avant garde stuff like Blue, that you can't nitpick about. (Even/especially if it requires some... generous interpretation of the work at hand)

E: It was inspired by this livejournal post

quote:

I wouldn't even mind the lack of originality if they weren't so heavy-handed about it. Apparently we're supposed to believe that in the middle of the war the Germans attacked their allies the Russians, starting an unwinnable conflict on two fronts, just to show how sneaky and untrustworthy they could be? And that they diverted all their resources to use in making ever bigger and scarier death camps, even in the middle of a huge war? Real people just aren't that evil. And that's not even counting the part where as soon as the plot requires it, they instantly forget about all the racism nonsense and become best buddies with the definitely non-Aryan Japanese.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 30, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Cinema Sins doesn't really bother me to be honest. It doesn't even seem like it's trying to be real analysis. Just rapid fire bullshit and clickbait. It's when a critic is clearly punching above their weight class and trying to sound genuinely smart I have to roll my eyes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tracula posted:

Cinema Sins doesn't really bother me to be honest. It doesn't even seem like it's trying to be real analysis. Just rapid fire bullshit and clickbait. It's when a critic is clearly punching above their weight class and trying to sound genuinely smart I have to roll my eyes.

It teaches people to watch movies badly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

It teaches people to watch movies badly.

Comedy youtube channel teaches people poor lessons. The horror.

If you're watching Cinema Sins for deep analysis I've got some bad news for you.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you're watching Cinema Sins for deep analysis I've got some bad news for you.

That's kinda the opposite of what he's saying. People in general, and the fanbase for shows/channels like CinemaSins especially, tend to prefer shallow criticism. Thinking about something beyond its surface takes effort and reflection, things that aren't really encouraged by most forms of media.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tracula posted:

It sounds like every MovieBob video I have ever seen.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's honeslty what has killed my interest in a lot of internet reviewers in the past few years.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 30, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheMaestroso posted:

That's kinda the opposite of what he's saying. People in general, and the fanbase for shows/channels like CinemaSins especially, tend to prefer shallow criticism. Thinking about something beyond its surface takes effort and reflection, things that aren't really encouraged by most forms of media.

Yep.

When these people watch films, they're not watching it to get something from the story, or characters...they're looking for mistakes. "That glass in the background was full in this shot, and now it's empty in THIS SHOT! HOLY SWEET poo poo!" or the very worst, "Oh man, I totally saw that coming." No poo poo. The filmmakers set it up so that you would. You're a smart person, congrats.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bennett is apparently going to just do a series of reviews on all of the Bubblegum Crisis related properties. I can't wait for him to get to Tokyo 2040 and to see if it is still good or if I just had poor taste.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

Bennett is apparently going to just do a series of reviews on all of the Bubblegum Crisis related properties. I can't wait for him to get to Tokyo 2040 and to see if it is still good or if I just had poor taste.

I remember 2040 being the best of the franchise since it's basically a proper finished remake of the original

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Which Bubblegum Crisis had that episode where a guy finds out his wife was cheating on him, dies and has his mind transferred to a killer robot or something? I remember it because when Comcast first introduced On Demand when I was a kid that was the first anime I watched on it.

My absolute favorite "plot hole" complaint was a nerd being legitimately baffled and annoyed that the dude would go out of his way to save a girl who as I recall broke up with him in Cloverfield. "BEEP BOOP This does not compute. The hu-man male is risking his life for the hu-man female even though the romantic relationship has ended. This is most illogical"

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 31, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

Also I pity the guy who played the bellhop near the end, he seemed like a good actor and he showed it too in the speech about the ending and the making of the film, in fact I pity most of the cast...they were just lead by a director who didn't really know how to shoot or plan out a film properly.

This is something I found myself thinking about when I was marathoning Neil Breen's films with my brother. 75% of the conversations in Fateful Findings were very obviously shot by having all the actors read each of their lines in order in a cutaway. There are maybe four or five conversations in the film where the actors can actually play off each other's performances, and I can't imagine what a nightmare that would be for them. Even an Oscar-calibre actor can look like absolute dogshit if they aren't directed well, so you just pity the community theatre schmucks who were hosed from square one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Yeah I kinda hate it when you watch someone who knows a modicum of film theory and it's just served to ossify the opinions they already had instead of broadening their horizons.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Which Bubblegum Crisis had that episode where a guy finds out his wife was cheating on him, dies and has his mind transferred to a killer robot or something? I remember it because when Comcast first introduced On Demand when I was a kid that was the first anime I watched on it.

Yeah, that was 2040.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Bennett just released his Berserk review. I never saw the anime, but I did read the manga. With news of a new Berserk anime coming out, I wonder if I should watch it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

My absolute favorite "plot hole" complaint was a nerd being legitimately baffled and annoyed that the dude would go out of his way to save a girl who as I recall broke up with him in Cloverfield. "BEEP BOOP This does not compute. The hu-man male is risking his life for the hu-man female even though the romantic relationship has ended. This is most illogical"

Personally, the one that's gnawed at me for years is the question of why Ross, the largest friend, doesn't just eat the other five.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bennett just released his Berserk review. I never saw the anime, but I did read the manga. With news of a new Berserk anime coming out, I wonder if I should watch it.

The old anime only really cover the flashback, but that does give the story kind of a (bleak) ending. It's also more of a motion comic, but otherwise it is pretty great.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Yeah I kinda hate it when you watch someone who knows a modicum of film theory and it's just served to ossify the opinions they already had instead of broadening their horizons.

That puts what I was thinking perfectly. I personally feel a lot of times Movie Bob and Extra Credits fall into this.

Edit: I'll admit I've been watching some poo poo by Confused Matthew. My god is he loving awful but entrancing he's so stupid.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 31, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Confused Matthew is a web critic. He delivers his reviews in a slide show format. This minimalistic format may be boring, but it is practical as it not only ties into the "Talk is cheap, art is priceless" motto all reviewers should take to heart, but his anti masturbatory fluff motif with his vendetta against movies that get greenlit when they should not have.
Confession time.
I thought The Matrix trilogy as a whole was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Matthew, who is an actual Philosophy major, gave a crash course in "obscurantism."
I thought Saw was scary and deep. I thought Jigsaw as a well intentioned extremist type anti villain. I even bought into the "he's not technically a killer" statement. Matthew gave me a crash course in law.
I'm an anime fan. Being a fan of classic 16 bit-32 bit era video games, I'm all over those over the top tropes. I was also led to believe that Miyazaki was an animation god. Matthew deconstructed Spirited Away as obscurantist trash with zero plot and weak characters with stilted dialogue in a world not well defined. "Like all other anime ever made." Matthew gives a simple reason for his detesting of anime. "It's stupid, it's stupid. I hate it I hate it." Which is not far off. Most anime is misogynistic in its unrealistic portrayals of women. And Giant robots can be brought down with Square Cube Law. There is only one anime Matthew likes... Ironically, it's Lucky Star. Either it is the shining beacon of world building and deep characterization in an obscurantist, fan pandering cesspool... Or girlfriend(I'll explain in the comments.)
I thought Minority Report was an intelligent film. Matthew made Ebert and Speilberg his bitches.
Confused Matthew isn't perfect. He's not the best comedian, and sometimes his logic falters... *Avatar* *Cough* He is also slow on updates, but he is always insightful and knows his tropes.
If you want to laugh at bad movies that you are already pre-conditioned into hating, watch the TGWTG circle jerk. If you want to be challenged with critical thinking, watch Confused Matthew. Definately check out earlier youtube reviews. Those are the best and are very short and to the point. He is not egotistical as these other tropers are painting him. He is very humble, and shy. His beef is with the movies, not the fans.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Confused Matthew is a web critic. He delivers his reviews in a slide show format. This minimalistic format may be boring, but it is practical as it not only ties into the "Talk is cheap, art is priceless" motto all reviewers should take to heart, but his anti masturbatory fluff motif with his vendetta against movies that get greenlit when they should not have.
Confession time.
I thought The Matrix trilogy as a whole was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Matthew, who is an actual Philosophy major, gave a crash course in "obscurantism."
I thought Saw was scary and deep. I thought Jigsaw as a well intentioned extremist type anti villain. I even bought into the "he's not technically a killer" statement. Matthew gave me a crash course in law.
I'm an anime fan. Being a fan of classic 16 bit-32 bit era video games, I'm all over those over the top tropes. I was also led to believe that Miyazaki was an animation god. Matthew deconstructed Spirited Away as obscurantist trash with zero plot and weak characters with stilted dialogue in a world not well defined. "Like all other anime ever made." Matthew gives a simple reason for his detesting of anime. "It's stupid, it's stupid. I hate it I hate it." Which is not far off. Most anime is misogynistic in its unrealistic portrayals of women. And Giant robots can be brought down with Square Cube Law. There is only one anime Matthew likes... Ironically, it's Lucky Star. Either it is the shining beacon of world building and deep characterization in an obscurantist, fan pandering cesspool... Or girlfriend(I'll explain in the comments.)
I thought Minority Report was an intelligent film. Matthew made Ebert and Speilberg his bitches.
Confused Matthew isn't perfect. He's not the best comedian, and sometimes his logic falters... *Avatar* *Cough* He is also slow on updates, but he is always insightful and knows his tropes.
If you want to laugh at bad movies that you are already pre-conditioned into hating, watch the TGWTG circle jerk. If you want to be challenged with critical thinking, watch Confused Matthew. Definately check out earlier youtube reviews. Those are the best and are very short and to the point. He is not egotistical as these other tropers are painting him. He is very humble, and shy. His beef is with the movies, not the fans.

Sourcin' my quotes

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Testekill posted:

I wish Bennett would stop reviewing shows that I want to watch.

I don't mean for that to sound negative (I really like Bennett's stuff), but I think this is like the third or fourth show he's covered that I skipped only because I wanted to watch it myself first.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Somebody summarize NC's Star Wars VII review. I actually really liked the movie and I don't feel like getting pissed off at his ignorance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I haven't watched it, but I have a feeling he's gonna at least cap off with good things if he does otherwise nitpick and stuff, just because yeah everybody's so up on the movie right now.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I feel like I should mention that Confused Matthew can go on angrily for 30+ minutes about big Hollywood films but when he talked about High and Low it took less than eight minutes and he said he was "confused" by how to pronounce Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifube.

Clearly a man worth taking seriously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

e X posted:

The old anime only really cover the flashback, but that does give the story kind of a (bleak) ending. It's also more of a motion comic, but otherwise it is pretty great.

That's pretty much how Bennet's review goes on about it. Looks like the next review's going to be Robot Carnival.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tracula posted:

That puts what I was thinking perfectly. I personally feel a lot of times Movie Bob and Extra Credits fall into this.

Edit: I'll admit I've been watching some poo poo by Confused Matthew. My god is he loving awful but entrancing he's so stupid.

The best thing extra credits did was introduce me to "the great war" video series, which is excellent and you should all watch it. The extra history spinoff is also pretty fun in an introductory sort of way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

e X posted:

It also skips a lot of stuff, including a really important character.

Edit: But goddamn that soundtrack.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tracula posted:

It's just a schtick of nitpicking movies to pieces, the points don't matter. They'll add and subtract points on a whim and will even say things like "1 more sin for this movie being too damned good". It shouldn't be taken as an attempt at real criticism.

tvtropes.txt

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Max Wilco posted:

I wish Bennett would stop reviewing shows that I want to watch.

I don't mean for that to sound negative (I really like Bennett's stuff), but I think this is like the third or fourth show he's covered that I skipped only because I wanted to watch it myself first.

Did you eventually watch those shows and then go back to watch Bennett's videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I don't see most web critics (including myself) as serious critics. We're more like an introduction to criticism for people who would otherwise not be interested in critical theory. We're to criticism as Liberace is to classical music or Richard Simmons is to exercise.

• Locked thread