Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

sharktamer posted:

So are this going to just benefit gateway users or are some of these exploits going to trickle down to allow custom firmware on 10.3 without any flashcards?

It's possible that the launcher.dat is applied however CFW would have to be completely rewritten. Firmware in general is kind of a poo poo show with these exploits because while it does allow some access into Nu3DS it does not provide the keys necessary for >9.5 emunand. The greatest use O3DS users will get is downgrading to 4.5 from >9.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sharktamer posted:

So are this going to just benefit gateway users or are some of these exploits going to trickle down to allow custom firmware on 10.3 without any flashcards?

in like a year or so sure

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Oh, but new 3ds owners can downgrade to 9.2 now? I'm confused at what benefit this has for anyone other than mediocre emulators.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

sharktamer posted:

Oh, but new 3ds owners can downgrade to 9.2 now? I'm confused at what benefit this has for anyone other than mediocre emulators.

From a homebrew perspective on >9.2 it provides kernel access which has more syscalls for better performance in emulators/homebrew

From a :filez: perspective on Nu3DS it allows users to run Gateway up to 10.3 while providing a downgrade mechanism back to 9.2 when emunand supports newer versions. It provides kernel access within >9.5 to developers to be able to obtain keys necessary for emunand >9.5 *possibly* (problem being that they're cleared out on boot so an extremely low-level hack would have to be figured out)

On Old3DS this allows any user from 10.3 and below the ability to downgrade to 4.5 for cfw and all the other fun things that come with it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The real benefit to homebrew is custom loving badges

EDIT: And custom home themes, but that's been a thing for a while

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 30, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fix posted:

This got no chat at all amid hax talk, but that Mario/Sonic Olympics game looks a bit good, no?

People dump on these games because they're simple (especially the first one) and they're not at all what most people want from a Mario/Sonic crossover but they're well-made and each game has been better than the last, so the addition of the RPG-ish mode makes me hopeful about the new one - it sounds at least as involved as Mario Golf 3DS, I guess.

One thing that becomes more and more apparent as the roster gets bigger with each game is that Sonic's cast of characters is really loving poor - they're up to 20 per side in this game, so the Sonic side has, like, 15 characters you will never ever pick unless you have to.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharktamer posted:

I heard a new beginning was the best one.

actually you'll find it's 64

rip my hopes and dreams

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People dump on these games because they're simple (especially the first one) and they're not at all what most people want from a Mario/Sonic crossover but they're well-made and each game has been better than the last, so the addition of the RPG-ish mode makes me hopeful about the new one - it sounds at least as involved as Mario Golf 3DS, I guess.

One thing that becomes more and more apparent as the roster gets bigger with each game is that Sonic's cast of characters is really loving poor - they're up to 20 per side in this game, so the Sonic side has, like, 15 characters you will never ever pick unless you have to.

I still have yet to play the Scochi one, despite it sitting on my shelf for the last six months or so now, but when you need a cheap wiimote...

My group used to get together and play a few rounds of some old olympics game on the Dreamcast every week before going bowling, I think. Can't for the life of me remember which one, but it was always a great contest while never being a particularly good game in and of itself.

These look better than that and if they're not, they can still be better than Mario Party.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay here's a step by step guide in installing homebrew on any 3DS, new or old, on any firmware version. There's no downsides whatsover to this, and you can install custom themes, emulators, install romhacks, et cetera.

Thanks, was helpful, and blargsnes is running great.

Did you ever receive that cheap ebay 3DS? I see a bunch of negatives on that guys feedback now.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I'm not sure what the odds are of someone having a white Japanese or European n3ds (small) here are, but I would be willing to do a trade if anyone wants to swap face plates. I'd like the plain white ones that come with the white n3ds but Nintendo do not sell them separately. I'm willing to trade all four (two sets) of the Animal Crossing cover plates for the ones that came with your white n3ds, provided they are in good condition. I'll do an even swap even though I am offering double the number of plates and mine are brand new. I'm not sure if Japan got the ones we got in the US.

There's literally zero auctions on ebay selling plain white ones (I guess because they are stock) so if anyone wants to trade, let me know. Also if anyone managed to find somewhere that sells them please let me know as well. Thanks!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So what RPG's am I left with boys and girls? I've played Brave and FE:A, Xenoblade as well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

JackDarko posted:

So what RPG's am I left with boys and girls? I've played Brave and FE:A, Xenoblade as well.

Rune Factory 4 and the Etrian games. Fates and BS are coming early next year.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I want a new SRPG to tide me over for the new FE, is there anything that isn't FE:A, Devil Survivor, or FFTA2?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stella Glow

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People have been saying good things about that Steamworld Heist thing

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Stella Glow is supposedly okay? Not amazing and it has the Atlus tax, but it'll do to last you a month.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I want a new SRPG to tide me over for the new FE, is there anything that isn't FE:A, Devil Survivor, or FFTA2?
Wasn't there a Ghost Recon thing?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terper posted:

Stella Glow

Artix posted:

Stella Glow is supposedly okay? Not amazing and it has the Atlus tax, but it'll do to last you a month.

This looks like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks

Help Im Alive posted:

People have been saying good things about that Steamworld Heist thing

I really don't like the side-scrolling perspective, but I might try it one day cause i do love the art and being able to aim is neat

SelenicMartian posted:

I heard it wasn't very good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's actually pretty fun. It's low budget but not bad at all. The only real downside is that it is short and the graphics are poo poo because it began as a DS game they rushed to be a 3DS launch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BurgerQuest posted:

Thanks, was helpful, and blargsnes is running great.

Did you ever receive that cheap ebay 3DS? I see a bunch of negatives on that guys feedback now.

Nope. Almost certainly a scammer unfortunately. Shame too, I have to wait until the 4th (the expected delivery date) to open a case.

Which unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how to do.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JackDarko posted:

Pick up Fantasy Life and watch that game suck you in until the new Fire Emblem comes out.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Silver Falcon posted:

Pick up Fantasy Life and watch that game suck you in until the new Fire Emblem comes out.

I want to kiss you, this game is amazing. Thank you so much.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I have ~80 hours logged in fantasy life, but I haven't touched it in almost a year maybe? I booted it up again the other night when Phoenix Wright stumped me, and the addiction has renewed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Iron Rose posted:

Nope. Almost certainly a scammer unfortunately. Shame too, I have to wait until the 4th (the expected delivery date) to open a case.

Which unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how to do.

Once the date passes there will be a link from your eBay account page to file a dispute. eBay/PayPal are generally super cool about it, so you should get your money back no problem.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

SelenicMartian posted:

I just picked it up last night and it's very fun so far. It's basically just XCom without the base building and slightly more in depth combat

neosloth fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 30, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

superstepa posted:

I just picked it up last night and it's very fun so far. It's basically just XCom without the base building and slightly more in depth combat

Designed by the original X-Com guy (Julian Gollop) too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mercenaries Saga 2 is like $3 on the eshop this week is extremely dope for a budget FFT clone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JackDarko posted:

I want to kiss you, this game is amazing. Thank you so much.

Yay! :D I love that game to bits. I recently did a second playthrough of it, lasted me right up until Super Mystery Dungeon released, like exactly.

Barnyard Protein posted:

I have ~80 hours logged in fantasy life, but I haven't touched it in almost a year maybe? I booted it up again the other night when Phoenix Wright stumped me, and the addiction has renewed.

I found a lot of the time I'd have to take a break from those games because they'd just... stop making sense? The games follow their own weird sort of logic, and when it clicked, I had no problem figuring out what to present and when and all that. Then abruptly it would just stop making sense and no amount of brute forcing would make it make sense again. I'd take a break for a day or so and it'd click again. It was a weird thing. Games are great, though. I had a blast with them!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There is the good xcom style ghost recon game, and then a different and bad one that released around the same time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've received my new new 3DS to my home address in Canada but Nintendo still hasn't shipped back the broken 3DS that they wouldn't fix to my home.

Do I need that broken thing at all, or can I just have my mom send the new one out then call Nintendo to transfer.

I have the SD card backed up to my PC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
EU dudes, this German site has the Xenoblade faceplates for 5EUR: http://m.mytoys.de/nintendo-new-3ds-zierblende-xenoblade-4029907.html

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Buy all the 3DS

Although I'm gonna sell the O3DS XL once the new hacks come out so I guess it's not overly terrible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

flyboi posted:

once the new hacks come out

They're out, they were posted a few pages back. My n3DSXL on the current firmware has menuhax and ironhax installed via the new browserhax.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're out, they were posted a few pages back. My n3DSXL on the current firmware has menuhax and ironhax installed via the new browserhax.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the more kernel-y hacks or whatever they are

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No :filez: hax. I have a gateway on my O3DS XL and want to downgrade the HHD to 9.2 to replace the O3DS

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what does gateway do? i read the product info page and still don't get the point of it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It allows you to play retail roms

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shrike82 posted:

what does gateway do? i read the product info page and still don't get the point of it

Lets you :filez: retail games which I don't really care about because I own ~40-50 games now. It also lets you play :filez: of other region games so I can play Taiko No Tatsujin on my 3DS or games that come out in EU before NA i.e Mario & Luigi Paper Jam. The new thing is it also has some cheat engine built in but I haven't messed with that yet.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do people use that emoticon instead of just saying it lets you pirate games

Do the FBI read the 3DS thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
All of this homebrew stuff is kind of dissappointing because i already have a psp go. i can already play snes and gba and ps1 games full speed on a portable console and hint: there aren't any good games for them.

however, i want quake. i want doom. the 3ds quake is alpha as gently caress but it gives me a huge nerd boner to see quake on a low res lcd screen

it was playable at like 30 fps on the original DS so i have high hopes for 3ds quake