Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you like basically any RPG in the past decade you're probably at least playing something made by dudes who enjoy anime and let it leak into their game. You're not exactly spoiling for choice here when even like The Witcher 3 features a magical silver-haired man with two swords who has tons of girls fighting over him and has to decide between his two girlfriends, one of whom is a cold standoffish woman and the other a hot-tempered redhead. (Both of whom are made more waifu than their book counterparts.)

It's not anime if it was originally in English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erg posted:

It's not anime if it was originally in English

But the Witcher was originally in Polish!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you like basically any RPG in the past decade you're probably at least playing something made by dudes who enjoy anime and let it leak into their game. You're not exactly spoiling for choice here when even like The Witcher 3 features a magical silver-haired man with two swords who has tons of girls fighting over him and has to decide between his two girlfriends, one of whom is a cold standoffish woman and the other a hot-tempered redhead. (Both of whom are made more waifu than their book counterparts.)

its a good time to a gamer

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

But the Witcher was originally in Polish!

I'm not sure what adjective Polish games get, I'll have to check my discerning video gamer handbook and get back to you

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Love these defensive reactions to a poster who is clearly not in love with those juveline JRPGs :smugbert:

Thanks Way Strong Pimphand for your reasonable reply.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

nobody is being defensive we're making fun of you

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the man likes ni no kuni and several dragon quest games

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

No, you guys are both making fun and being defensive :hehe:

Davincie posted:

the man likes ni no kuni and several dragon quest games

I've played less than two hours of Ni No Kuni you take that back.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Love these defensive reactions to a poster who is clearly not in love with those juveline JRPGs :smugbert:

Lol

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
anime doesn't mean anything, it's literally a meaningless word

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

alcharagia posted:

Lol'd

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

you lost an ally today

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it used to mean something but it no longer does

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Self-loathing person on internet, moving on

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BadAstronaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM on not playing much of a bad video game

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Listen I'm just here to talk about how much anime disgusts me while I stare longingly at my Cowboy Bebop DVD boxsets.

Boxsets.

BBB

Big beautiful boxsets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

it means a cartoon from japan.

cartoons from japan can have any sort of tone or content, though.

and honestly JRPGs are usually more mature than WRPGs in the sense that JRPGs are usually just what they are and have no pretensions about themselves. Like yeah some of them get into really weird philosophy or religion or whatever and it doesn't always make sense but you get the sense that they're just doing that because they want to do that, rather than trying to tackle Real Issues like so many WRPGs twist themselves into pretzels trying to.

And I've never seen a character like Sara from Dragon Age Inquisition in a JRPG.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ni no kuni is badass

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

it means a cartoon from japan.

cartoons from japan can have any sort of tone or content, though.

this is a much more salient version of the point i was trying to make, thanks endorph

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i don't think that that's the right word for that situation but that just makes my post more anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

I have no idea why in the world you think I would be defensive about liking RPGs. I am like the least-secretive person about my love of all kinds of RPGs on the planet.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
impatom do you love sonic chronicles: the dark brotherhood

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

ni no kuni is badass

No no kuni is bad and assy from a gameplay perspective

The actual running around and looking at things part is charming as poo poo though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

it legitimately has some of bioware's best writing

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I remember when I was in school and this guy had some new game and I asked how much space it needs and he mocked and laughed at my use of the word space and insisted that the correct thing to ask is "how many megs is it?" and I thought he was a huge nerd.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i got the platinium in ni no kuni

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

I do not though the combat system was fun for a little while before you hilariously shattered it into pieces with Cream the Rabbit.

It also was fun how it ended with Dr. Eggman murdering everyone and taking over the world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

I remember when I was in school and this guy had some new game and I asked how much space it needs and he mocked and laughed at my use of the word space and insisted that the correct thing to ask is "how many megs is it?" and I thought he was a huge nerd.
that dude owned you pretty hard

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

it legitimately has some of bioware's best writing

a lot of my friends give me poo poo for refusing to play any other bioware games because i hated sonic chronicles so it's good to hear this

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I played To The Moon for two hours tonight. It is a good hardcore role playing game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

a lot of my friends give me poo poo for refusing to play any other bioware games because i hated sonic chronicles so it's good to hear this

all bioware games have dumb cartoon writing but sonic just kind of runs with that and it leads to some funny jokes and dialogue options. bioware games are mostly really, really bored VAs sitting around talking about orcs n' aliens with the grimmest tones they can, and sometimes for ten minutes something funny or entertaining will happen

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dr Robotnik is my favorite anime villain

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Being obtuse and getting indignant about people using the word anime the "wrong way" never gets old :rolleyes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Being obtuse and getting indignant about people using the word anime the "wrong way" never gets old :rolleyes:
i legitimately don't understand what people mean when they use the word anime like that though, especially when they want breath of fire sequels and love dragon quest and ff7

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i like bioware games

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm still learning. Tonight I said anime wrong, and a few months ago I described Japanese rpgs as often being very juvenile with too many child protagonists saying childish things and got this thread into quite a tizz, I can tell you.

Who knows what will happen next.

Shining Force's GBA remake better be great or there will be hell to pay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what the gently caress kind of 30+ year old man sits around making posts like that

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
kid characters in rpgs of any nationality are 80% garbage let's be real here

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Dr Robotnik is my favorite anime villain

he is anime, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

all bioware games have dumb cartoon writing but sonic just kind of runs with that and it leads to some funny jokes and dialogue options. bioware games are mostly really, really bored VAs sitting around talking about orcs n' aliens with the grimmest tones they can, and sometimes for ten minutes something funny or entertaining will happen

Anime melodrama gets tiresome and sometimes it's nice to play games where you don't need overly expressive caricatures to help you understand what's going on, thigh I get that some people need certain very visible cues because they have trouble understanding subtext.