Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Binge watched the first 4 episodes last night. Decided to give it a try out of boredom expecting not to be able to make it through the first episode (I think this has happened to me with every SyFy series in the last 10 years?), but I was genuinely surprised by this. Each episode left me wanting to see what happened next. The 4th episode especially kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Ceres reminded me of the Institute in Fallout 4

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

KatWithHands posted:

The problem at the time was that syfy.com is region-blocked, and not everyone had a legal alternative and could or would pirate it. The book spoilers were bad enough on their own for people coming in fresh without getting it from both sides. Now that we're all on the same page, episode-wise, it should at least be less of a minefield for new people. Just trying to find a way to keep everyone happy, you know?

But yeah, seriously, let's keep the book chat in the book thread, and tag your show speculation accordingly here. We had a couple good pages after we figured we could self-govern, let's keep that up!

Sounds good, hope things go that way.

I'd point out though that there's still no legal way to watch this outside the USA.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I would legit pay for this if they'd unfuck their distribution

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

wooger posted:

I'd point out though that there's still no legal way to watch this outside the USA.

Space.ca has the broadcast rights in Canada and has the first four episodes online for Canadians similar to syfy.com

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

wooger posted:

There is if you're in Canada, because we have the SyFy affiliate Space here: http://www.space.ca/featuredshow/the-expanse/ They upload the episodes at the same time SyFy does. If someone from the US could try an episode there and tell me if it's region-locked for Canada, I'd appreciate it. I know when Space had the pilot up on their Facebook account it was region-free, but their actual site might be different.

If there are other legal international means that you guys know about, please gimme a shout and I'll make them available in the OP.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Maybe people should just read the books?

Im trying hard to resist just buying the box set of the first three books. I want, at least, the stuff in the first season to be a surprise for me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

Binge watched the first 4 episodes last night. Decided to give it a try out of boredom expecting not to be able to make it through the first episode (I think this has happened to me with every SyFy series in the last 10 years?), but I was genuinely surprised by this. Each episode left me wanting to see what happened next. The 4th episode especially kicked rear end.

The first episode was the old world building/origin story trap.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

KatWithHands posted:

There is if you're in Canada, because we have the SyFy affiliate Space here: http://www.space.ca/featuredshow/the-expanse/ They upload the episodes at the same time SyFy does. If someone from the US could try an episode there and tell me if it's region-locked for Canada, I'd appreciate it. I know when Space had the pilot up on their Facebook account it was region-free, but their actual site might be different.

If there are other legal international means that you guys know about, please gimme a shout and I'll make them available in the OP.

VPN's aren't illegal

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

VPN's aren't illegal

Are some just better than others? SyFy and youtube both saw right through the one that came with my antivirus. I'm not really knowledgeable about them, so I just figured that would be universal.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have one specifically for netflix and poo poo. Works fine on syfy's website.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
also let's be honest streaming is illegal in about the same sense that jaywalking is

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

KatWithHands posted:

Are some just better than others? SyFy and youtube both saw right through the one that came with my antivirus. I'm not really knowledgeable about them, so I just figured that would be universal.

"Privateinternetaccess" is a really good and cheap vpn.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Noctone posted:

also let's be honest streaming is illegal in about the same sense that jaywalking is

Don't joke, I've been ticketed for that in Seattle.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I'm really, really enjoying this so far. Just binged through the first four episodes today after realizing that I was mistaken in my belief that the show started airing after the holidays.

I huge part of me is also tickled that all of the awesome as hell sets (seriously, Ceres and especially the Martian poo poo are just incredible) are literally down the street from me. My only visual quibble is that the actual MCRN combat suits looked more Daft Punkesque than I had imagined, I basically have them in my head as looking like Master Chief painted many shades of red.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Quite possibly the best zero gravity decapitation i've ever seen on cable TV.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The other cool physics bit was when Holden kicks off of Naomi for the hanger escape scene.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

etalian posted:

The other cool physics bit was when Holden kicks off of Naomi for the hanger escape scene.

I have been very impressed with the attention paid to low/zero gravity physics. That was a straight up demonstration of Newton's Third Law.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Bamabalacha posted:

I'm really, really enjoying this so far. Just binged through the first four episodes today after realizing that I was mistaken in my belief that the show started airing after the holidays.

I huge part of me is also tickled that all of the awesome as hell sets (seriously, Ceres and especially the Martian poo poo are just incredible) are literally down the street from me. My only visual quibble is that the actual MCRN combat suits looked more Daft Punkesque than I had imagined, I basically have them in my head as looking like Master Chief painted many shades of red.

I don't think they are the same suits as Bobby and the other marines wear in book 2

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

gohmak posted:

I don't think they are the same suits as Bobby and the other marines wear in book 2

Yup, those suits are regular marine armor. Bobby wears special Force Recon marine power armor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My brother always bitches about asteroid belts in sci-fi movies that are depicted as being incredibly dense like in Empire Strikes Back. I think this is the show for him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who says there aren't in the Hoth system?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

wooger posted:

KatWithHands posted:

Been watching this on space.ca from Germany w/ https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

Sometimes it wont seem to work, but refreshing should do the trick.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Kesper North posted:

Yup, those suits are regular marine armor. Bobby wears special Force Recon marine power armor.

Well that just makes me even happier!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The Expanse confirmed for Season 2, and they've upped the episodes to 13 for next season

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-expanse-season-2-syfy-1201670368/

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

theblackw0lf posted:

The Expanse confirmed for Season 2, and they've upped the episodes to 13 for next season

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-expanse-season-2-syfy-1201670368/

Interesting that the live viewership figures are below what Defiance had when it was cancelled :cripes:

I mean, hands down this is a better show, Stahma and Datak Power Hour not withstanding, but I'm a little suprised they're ordering season 2 when the ratings are not so good.

What's their business model for online viewing? They don't get ad revenue from streaming, do they?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Kesper North posted:

Interesting that the live viewership figures are below what Defiance had when it was cancelled :cripes:

I mean, hands down this is a better show, Stahma and Datak Power Hour not withstanding, but I'm a little suprised they're ordering season 2 when the ratings are not so good.

What's their business model for online viewing? They don't get ad revenue from streaming, do they?

I don't see why they wouldn't. Why would they have ads during the streams otherwise?

As for why they're renewing, the head over at Sy Fy has said he expected the show to not generate a lot of interest out of the gate, and to be a slower burn. I think they believe (and probably with good reason) that as the show goes along it will generate more acclaim and word of mouth.

I think they view this show as much about generating prestige for the channel as ratings. If the show ends up in a bunch of top 10 lists next year that probably matters as much, if not more, than a big ratings.

It's also possible that the online viewer ratings are really strong and show that there's a lot of interest, which should translate into higher broadcast ratings going forward.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

theblackw0lf posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't. Why would they have ads during the streams otherwise?

As for why they're renewing, the head over at Sy Fy has said he expected the show to not generate a lot of interest out of the gate, and to be a slower burn. I think they believe (and probably with good reason) that as the show goes along it will generate more acclaim and word of mouth.

I think they view this show as much about generating prestige for the channel as ratings. If the show ends up in a bunch of top 10 lists next year that probably matters as much, if not more, than a big ratings.

It's also possible that the online viewer ratings are really strong and show that there's a lot of interest, which should translate into higher broadcast ratings going forward.

It would probably help to not air new episodes at 10pm on a Tuesday.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I like Mass Effect so I like this.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
The numbers for The Expanse seem decent for a new show only 4 episodes in, on a channel that in recent times is probably best known for Sharknado.

Metacritic and imdb viewer ratings are good. The show is good so its not going to hemorrhage viewers - it has great production values, great attention to detail, good screenplay, good pacing and doesn't treat the viewer like a loving idiot. Hooked viewers will carry it if it maintains its current standard and if they make a blu ray box set in a Donnager shaped box, it'll do a Wire and sell like hotcakes.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 1, 2016

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think having the books out there gaining popularity helps the show too

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

I like Mass Effect so I like this.

lol yeah, the books are basically a video game in text form, hopefully the show does well

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

theblackw0lf posted:

I think they're salivating over the fact that they have what a lot of people are calling the Game of Thrones of Sci-fi. My assumption is that they're keeping it for the prestige, and hoping that viewership online and through broadcast grow. They've had a lot of flops in space sci-fi since BSG went off the air too, so they may be willing to accept a lower standard of success and keep shows along longer to hope they grow.

etalian posted:

Yeah I dug that too. Kick what you're tethered to, get pulled by it, and away you go.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 1, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NowonSA posted:

I think they're salivating over the fact that they have what a lot of people are calling the Game of Thrones of Sci-fi. My assumption is that they're keeping it for the prestige, and hoping that viewership online and through broadcast grow. They've had a lot of flops in space sci-fi since BSG went off the air too, so they may be willing to accept a lower standard of success and keep shows along longer to hope they grow.

Yeah if you read some of the production articles on the show Sy Fy felt like it missed the boat with its shotgun strategy of having lots of cheaper shows and therefore not getting something like Game of Thrones/Walking Dead that managed to break out into a big audience.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

Yeah, Tuesdays are an extremely packed timeslot. Sundays would probably be better since the basic cable competition is pretty much only AMC.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gohmak posted:

I wonder why they even have this schedule.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

VPN's aren't illegal

Neither is a bittorrent client. Its what you use it for that could be.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

feedmegin posted:

Neither is a bittorrent client. Its what you use it for that could be.

I don't think there are any laws against circumventing IP location services.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 1, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, Tuesdays are an extremely packed timeslot. Sundays would probably be better since the basic cable competition is pretty much only AMC.

It's the time more than anything. It should be 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Book 4+ Can someone MS Paint me what the hell the Ring Station is supposed to look like?

• Locked thread