Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

LPLs maybe? Those things tear when you've got room to shoot and move.

We have a winrar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Astroniomix posted:

We have a winrar.

Yeah but it was a pretty safe guess. There's only so many good builds for Shadowcats. My preferred build is basically the same.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Spare no creativity. Ever.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
He was running on the walls with the a 2 LPL/ECM Shadow Cat. It was funny cause half the pubs he killed couldn't tell from where, and the ones who did didn't have the range to shoot him.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Skoll posted:

He was running on the walls with the a 2 LPL/ECM Shadow Cat. It was funny cause half the pubs he killed couldn't tell from where, and the ones who did didn't have the range to shoot him.

That's the best part of that map. People get super upset when you do that in lower tiers.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What are some good champions and heroes to buy if I wanted to buy them

Or mastery packs

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dropping in to confirm once again that losing because your frontline assault mechs are instead built and played as backliners blows rear end

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Or mastery packs

Don't buy champions.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thunderbolt mastery pack is an investment I'm glad I made. 3 very viable mech chassis if you like lasers

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

Or mastery packs

Never buy a Champ unless you like being an idiot.

The Blackjack, Stalker, and T-bolt mastery packs are good. The Hunchback pack isn't worth it anymore, IMO. Griffin MP is pretty good.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Skoll posted:

Don't buy champions.

then what about the heroes

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Or mastery packs

:siren: Do not ever buy a Champion 'Mech. :siren:

I got the Griffin pack and it is Number One Best A+ if you like mediums.

The only way it could be better is if it had a 3M instead of the 1S.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

then what about the heroes

This might come as a surprise, but some of the heroes are good and many others are garbage.

If you have the loot, go for the Mastery Packs.

If you just want a hero, these are varying levels of good/okay:

Misery
Sparky
Firebrand
Ilya
X5

e: also, I forgot. I'm 'nerfgun' in game if anybody ever wants to group up. I'm not WoL but I'm kind of an okay guy anyway.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

e: also, I forgot. I'm 'nerfgun' in game if anybody ever wants to group up. I'm not WoL but I'm kind of an okay guy anyway.
[/quote]

Ill add you buddy.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
What's a good load out on the Misery? I think I'm going to grab one.

ballsman
Jun 16, 2003

a fuckin bomb
Grimey Drawer
Could I get an invite to GIRL? Online right now, in game name is ballsman.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Raised by Hamsters posted:

What's a good load out on the Misery? I think I'm going to grab one.

2 PPC, AC20, Medium Pulse (for emergency) and heat sinks.

Take all the armor out of the arm you don't put the PPCs in. Try to shield with that one and side poke with your cool guy high mount PPC side. Use AC20 when poo poo goes down. Use Backup (tm) MPL when your arms fall off because you turned the wrong way and let them blast em off since you're a new Stalker driver and dunno that you should just stare at people.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That is such a bad mech.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

That is such a bad mech.

Just think how mildly you could annoy people in it, though!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I haven't played this since beta, please tell me which of my robots is least garbage now and if there are any fun builds to use for them. Here's what I have and what I think I should be doing:

Jenner-F (go fast, shoot lasers at butts?)
Raven-3L (same as above but with ECM and SRMs?)
Centurion-A (zombie SRM brawler, should I throw an AC in the arm or just leave it empty for more missles?)
Centurion-AH (free mech for some reason??? I'm guessing I should use this over the A for the bonus cash)
Hunchback-4SP (less tanky SRM brawler with more laser backup?)
Cataphract-4X (I hear gauss is bad now? I had 2 gauss in this before)
Stalker-3F (has a bunch of large lasers in it, I assume this is lovely now due to ghost heat, maybe pile on a bunch of SRMs instead?)

Oh yeah also do the extra academy tutorials give you money beyond the basic part it forces you to do now?

Reztes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 31, 2015

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Just bought atlas (AS7-K), would it be a good idea to outfit it with loads of firepower (ac 20, er ppcs, LRM)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

A.o.D. posted:

That is such a bad mech.

Randy is godlike with that build, though. I don't know if it's the exact same, but oh my god it's ridiculously good as long as you got someone to wipe the Arctic Cheetahs off your butt

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PrivRyan posted:

Just bought atlas (AS7-K), would it be a good idea to outfit it with loads of firepower (ac 20, er ppcs, LRM)

I have bad news for you: You picked the worst atlas. Literally every other version has better slots. I'm sorry.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Always ask before you buy something

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Love Stole the Day posted:

Randy is godlike with that build, though. I don't know if it's the exact same, but oh my god it's ridiculously good as long as you got someone to wipe the Arctic Cheetahs off your butt

I use 6 UAC2s but with 6 small ERs for some extra close-range punch, since jams are certain at the volume of fire required for brawling. Also yeah arctic cheetah rear end can be an issue but that's just part of the whole assault mech thing :(

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

PrivRyan posted:

Unless you already have the DDC or the S, dunno why you bought the K? But prolly the best thing to do with it get no less than 3 LL and an AC20 on it, then try to keep it from melting with heatsinks.

Most people run a variation of this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=25&l=e0b7be8a7f4494b223fe5e4d7abd995d073ac573

Wade into battle blasting the LLs and hope your AC20 makes it to the fight with you. Go out in a blaze of glory. Get mad at your team for not "pushing" with you. Ohyeah you could maaaaybe make use of the dual AMS, but who am I kiddin' they gonna lrm you good.

I had one back in the day when I mastered my Atlases. It was alright with the LLs and the AC20. Just for the love of god dont try to hill hump and snipe. You were meant for brawlin'. The arms will totally gently caress you if you aren't eleventy thousand feet above the enemy.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 31, 2015

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Professor Awesome posted:

I use 6 UAC2s but with 6 small ERs for some extra close-range punch, since jams are certain at the volume of fire required for brawling. Also yeah arctic cheetah rear end can be an issue but that's just part of the whole assault mech thing :(

Commit, son!

Ditch the lasers for more ammo. Having the backup of SL's (ewww, gross! not even SPL's) iflicts a psychological fallacy of: "Oh golly! I better not waste a shot that uses ammo!"

DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP. In somewhat gimmick-ish builds, you have to go all-out. You will either become a master of whatever gun you build the robot around, or a sad joke of a snowflake crusader.

e: Never commit to LRM's you piece of poo poo.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I can't understand how we lost with this guy as our anchor!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Devorum posted:

I can't understand how we lost with this guy as our anchor!

What is this

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Holy poo poo! What graphic settings make the terrain into a polygonal hell?!?

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015
I want to get some more Clan Heavy mechs. My favourite so far has been TBR-C with 2xUAC5 5xERML. How are the HBR and EBJ? How much difference does the ECM make in Quick Play?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

armchairyoda posted:

Holy poo poo! What graphic settings make the terrain into a polygonal hell?!?

The "I'm in an Atlas with inexplicable weapons, let's facehug a Thunderbolt so hard I clip through its torso" setting, apparently.

Unrelated: I am really bad at PPCs, has anyone run Misery with LPL's instead? Thinking about switching to them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ezekeel posted:

I want to get some more Clan Heavy mechs. My favourite so far has been TBR-C with 2xUAC5 5xERML. How are the HBR and EBJ? How much difference does the ECM make in Quick Play?

HBR is excellent. Never not run ECM.

EBJ is also pretty good.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Ezekeel posted:

HBR is a beast if you go full dead side and corner peek, hill hump, etc etc. Just dont use the Gauss on it. No matter whoever cries that its the meta thing to do, it blows. ECM is the bees knees. I like just strapping a buttload of lasers on it. 4ERLL, 6ERML, 6wubs, whatever. Its neat. I think you can cram 2UAC5 on there too and do hit and run stuff.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 31, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ezekeel posted:

This is my main Ebon Jag.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=282&l=214bc812cfc3f84569d75d465b5d3b99e78a9560

It's pretty brutal.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Endbuster posted:

HBR is a beast if you go full dead side and corner peek, hill hump, etc etc. Just dont use the Gauss on it. No matter whoever cries that its the meta thing to do, it blows. ECM is the bees knees. I like just strapping a buttload of lasers on it. 4ERLL, 6ERML, 6wubs, whatever. Its neat. I think you can cram 2UAC5 on there too and do hit and run stuff.

I do a lot of corner/hill humping with my TBR so that sounds good. You can even put 2xUAC5 and 4xERML on the HBR (http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=230&l=e100f19014dcbaa22edaad708680c281120f3c5e) which is only one ERML less than my build on the TBR. So I gain ECM and higher energy hardpoints and only lose 1 ERML, 2 DHS and 2 JJ. I think that has potential.

Hope there will be a CB mech sale soon so I can afford to buy all 3 variants at once.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Ezekeel posted:

Hope there will be a CB mech sale soon so I can afford to buy all 3 variants at once.

They have Cbill sales now? Neat.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Endbuster posted:

They have Cbill sales now? Neat.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/206148-clan-stockpile-sale/

Sadly I moron missed it last time.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Reztes posted:

I haven't played this since beta, please tell me which of my robots is least garbage now and if there are any fun builds to use for them. Here's what I have and what I think I should be doing:

Jenner-F (go fast, shoot lasers at butts?)
Raven-3L (same as above but with ECM and SRMs?)
Centurion-A (zombie SRM brawler, should I throw an AC in the arm or just leave it empty for more missles?)
Centurion-AH (free mech for some reason??? I'm guessing I should use this over the A for the bonus cash)
Hunchback-4SP (less tanky SRM brawler with more laser backup?)
Cataphract-4X (I hear gauss is bad now? I had 2 gauss in this before)
Stalker-3F (has a bunch of large lasers in it, I assume this is lovely now due to ghost heat, maybe pile on a bunch of SRMs instead?)

Oh yeah also do the extra academy tutorials give you money beyond the basic part it forces you to do now?
The Jenner-F is never going to be a bad mech, but you don't see a lot of them in the wild these days. The Raven-3L is typically a ranged poker nowadays but I confess I still have mine fitted with 2xMPL and 2xSRM 4 since like forever. I'm guessing Zombie Cent As are still a solid robbit but I've never driven one myself, I went for a 3xLL build with my Centurion-AL and the hobo with a shotgun with my Centurion-D ( which feels really depreciated now, since I was last playing ), and the AH was a giveaway loyalty reward if you gave PGI money and my preferred build is an AC20, 3xSRM4 and an XL245. You aren't tanky but you pack a whallop while still being mobile. I never really could get into the Hunchies but with SRMs being flavour du jour at the moment I can't see the 4SP being a bad performer. You still see Cataphracts out there including the 4x and I think the preferred meta involves more UAC5s but I stopped driving Catacphracts when they changed Gauss to the charge up mechanic. Stalker-3F is still doable as a laser drill, you used to hit ghost heat with LLs & LPLs when firing more than 2 at once, that's been changed to more than 3 at once. You fire one side at a time pausing a half second between shots and you should skip the whole ghost heat situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
God help me I'm reinstalling this... luckily I'm tier 4 so I'll get to seal club in a badmech for a bit. Who's got mumble details for me? I think I'm in WoL still.

• Locked thread