Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What is the goal to winning this argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

New Vegas was excellent. Good example.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

command mission was okay, but i wish spider didn't get owned

command mission is a weird case where like, the plot is terrible, the cinematography is rear end, the dungeon design is awful for like a third of the game, the coolest character dies halfway through, and 100% completing it is the most laughably impossible task in the world, but I still love it and have played through it like five times and know more about it off the top of my head than any other human being on the planet

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Tae posted:

What is the goal to winning this argument

There's no winning when j-pop is involved

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
new vegas had fun, goofy aspects to its characters, too. the character writing in the game was generally pretty dry, but it still had plenty of goofy, fun stuff

i mean, maybe there's less if you play without wild wasteland, but if you do that then you're a loser in my eyes...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Butt Ghost posted:

KH3 will conclude the first phase of Kingdom Hearts.

The end of the Xehanort Saga. What lies beyond the rain of X-NoHeart?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Masaaki Yuasa literally directed an episode.

E: beaten while I was looking up how to spell his name properly

It was a great episode too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ceaser and anything to do with the legion is not what I would call good or natural characterization on any level. Everything about that was half baked as hell.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
if we're talking about anime, wild arms 3 was loving fantastic, like it had some annoying aspects but it was really loving good and also had an opening animation and ending credits every time you loaded and quit the game, which makes it an actually, for real anime game

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Endorph posted:

what did japan do to you

Released too many good and/or interesting games that I don't have the free hours to play. :japan:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it even has four distinct story arcs with different main villains and plot thrusts

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the fact that the final boss had 11 forms was a bit much though

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Colonel posted:

new vegas had fun, goofy aspects to its characters, too. the character writing in the game was generally pretty dry, but it still had plenty of goofy, fun stuff

i mean, maybe there's less if you play without wild wasteland, but if you do that then you're a loser in my eyes...

That's true, but it was definitely balanced on the whole. When I think of melodramatic RPG's, I think FF6, most of Mass Effect, or Masquerade. All good games but over-the-top almost out of the gate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ceaser and anything to do with the legion is not what I would call good or natural characterization on any level. Everything about that was half baked as hell.

yeah, iirc ropekid's gone on record saying they suffered from their super tight time constraints and that's a large part of why they're presented in such a lopsided way compared to everyone else

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i've never played a fallout game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Caesar and the Burned Man were decent characterizations. Their faction was the weakest part of the game though because they were too hard to sympathize with.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

alcharagia posted:

I'm the world's leading authority on Megaman X Command Mission

:smith::respek::smith:

Glad I'm not the only one who loved that game more than it probably should've been.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

alcharagia posted:

i've never played a fallout game

they're pretty good

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

Glad I'm not the only one who loved that game more than it probably should've been.

IIIIIIIIIII'M

LOOKING FOR PASSIONATE LOOOOOVE

Jounetsu Setsunaaaaaa

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

command mission is a weird case where like, the plot is terrible, the cinematography is rear end, the dungeon design is awful for like a third of the game, the coolest character dies halfway through, and 100% completing it is the most laughably impossible task in the world, but I still love it and have played through it like five times and know more about it off the top of my head than any other human being on the planet

bloodychill posted:

That have absolutely none? Hard to say since melodrama is popular. In recent years, New Vegas had mostly natural characterizations, notably the companions, Caesar, and NPC's that weren't House, though even his grand-standing made sense considering his unique situation.

I'm interested in what JRPG's have mostly subtle characterizations.
idk, I just don't like how most WRPGs play in general. The dialogue option trees ring way too hollow to me and make any characterization gotten from dialogue feel super forced, because it feels like im just going down a checklist of things to talk to a dude about. More than that, the 'zoom in on both people's faces' thing means that there's basically no room for camera work, it's just two sideviews of talking heads. Even if the writing is strong - Mask of the Betrayer is one of my favorite games - it feels incredibly forced. Even in JRPGs with really bad writing, it at least feels like the badly written characters are just expressing themselves, instead of being prodded into expressing themselves by walking up to them and pressing A.

I'll freely admit that I can't name any JRPGs that are mostly subtle, but at least the way JRPGs operate allow for scenes of subtlety. Quiet moments where two characters just look at each other and don't say a word, or even letting the camera do some characterization if they're really creative. I've mostly seen camera work used for comedy in JRPGs, but it's still more than the average WRPG can do just as a matter of course - 'comedic' timing in WRPGs is usually just zooming in on a guy's face as he awkwardly shifts to an exaggerated smirk. Even in games without much camera work, either due to age or using a visual novel presentation with talking sprites, it still feels more natural than the WRPG way of doing things.

And JRPGs just seem like they're more willing to do creative things within their frame work. Nobody would accuse Tales of the Abyss being an impeccably written masterpiece, even if I do really like it, but there's a sequence where the protagonist fucks up and the party scatters. You get to play as the rest of the group with a new leader, and the new leader is kind of awkward to control in battle and there's barely any skits - little bits of party chatter - during that bit, get to play as the protagonist on his own and feel how much being without the party sucks. It isn't a huge moment that's executed perfectly, and the theme it's expressing is pretty much 'being alone sucks :(', but it's still way more use of the medium than I've seen any WPRG do, probably because WRPGs are so married to the idea of create-a-character.

Witcher 3 let you play as Ciri for little sequences, I guess? But they felt more like 'oh, yeah, here's what Ciri's up to' sequences instead of really setting anything up or using it for anything other than a shift in playstyle.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If you can handle its 16 year old presentation, start with the first Fallout and see how you go. It's brilliant. The new games are also great, but I think I enjoy them a lot more because of playing Fallout 1 & 2.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
things can be more or less anime without that meaning that it is better or worse

trails of cold steel is more anime than trails in the sky is more anime than sorcerian but tits is the best

'anime' has use as a descriptor even if people often abuse it as a perjorative

also my favorite anime jrpg is dark souls

what is the dark souls of anime? (it's not berserk)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

JRPGs are the superior RPGs imo

Also anime is good

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

things can be more or less anime without that meaning that it is better or worse

trails of cold steel is more anime than trails in the sky is more anime than sorcerian but tits is the best

'anime' has use as a descriptor even if people often abuse it as a perjorative

also my favorite anime jrpg is dark souls

It's Berserk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basically it's a huge structural problem for me, I don't really like open world RPGs, it feels like the breadth of content is sacrificing depth, and even Witcher 3, which I do like, suffers from a lot of interesting plots having to be expressed in really barebones, 'let's talk for ten minutes' ways. JRPGs have long cutscenes but at least stuff happens in JRPG cutscenes, usually.

And the general bioware structure of 'tackle these 3-6 scripted sequences in any order you like' feels like the worst of both worlds, since it doesn't have that much player exploration or choice but it also doesn't allow for actual plot progression until you've passed all the checkpoints.

And there's barely any WRPGs that are structured like JRPGs, except for games that are just outright aping JRPGs like, idk, undertale?

Francis posted:

basilisk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basilisk has a scene where the protagonist gets his rear end kicked by a quadruple amputee. it's the most dark souls anime.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Colonel posted:

yeah, iirc ropekid's gone on record saying they suffered from their super tight time constraints and that's a large part of why they're presented in such a lopsided way compared to everyone else

I still have no idea how the gently caress they expected people to empathize with a faction that crucified anyone who didn't immediately bow to them and literally kept all women in occupied territory as rape slaves.

Like, I usually defend Obsidian, but that just screams they were going to go with the :airquote:'hard' :airquote: moral choice of

"Well they're monsters, but they keep us safe! Except the women, who they rape, and our sons, who they steal and sacrifice in brutal and stupid wars." :downs:

vs.

"They're nice but inefficient and make us pay taxes" :cry:

vs

"I'm going on a powertrip and becoming the god-king of Vegas" :goonsay:

Like the Legion has no redeeming features whatsoever unless you're a fledgling fascist. And I'm not sure how giving that more exposure would have made the game better?

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 31, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I've got a feeling I'll stick with Trails in the Sky longer than I will with Shining Force GBA. Which of these is more anime?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I've got a feeling I'll stick with Trails in the Sky longer than I will with Shining Force GBA. Which of these is more anime?

follow your heart instead of what an anime-o-meter tells you

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Erg posted:

follow your heart instead of what an anime-o-meter tells you

Baldur's Gate 2 it is then

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

You have to be careful because liking anime is the equivalent of having AIDS

Stay safe astronaut

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I played Diablo 2 and it was kinda neat but I'm not gonna lie, the whole Star Wars text-scroll style of dialogue super bores me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BadAstronaut posted:

I've got something to help, a modified geiger counter that instead of clicking, goes doki doki.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

littleorv posted:

You have to be careful because liking anime is the equivalent of having AIDS

Stay safe astronaut

Good to know. I'll remain vigilant. I was gifted almost all the Ys games on steam this Christmas and my confusion about which order to play them in may have saved my life.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BadAstronaut posted:

Good to know. I'll remain vigilant. I was gifted almost all the Ys games on steam this Christmas and my confusion about which order to play then in may have saved my life.

Origin's the best

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Good to know. I'll remain vigilant. I was gifted almost all the Ys games on steam this Christmas and my confusion about which order to play then in may have saved my life.

Ys: Origin tells you in its title to play it first

e: ^^^^^ :hfive:

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The more anime a Ys game is, the worse it is. Sad but true.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
ys 3 was barely anime at all in its original incarnation

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Good to know. I'll remain vigilant. I was gifted almost all the Ys games on steam this Christmas and my confusion about which order to play them in may have saved my life.

Good work. I'm going to recommend you play Persona 4. Don't be fooled, while it may look anime it actually isn't as many goons can personally attest to so you should be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Francis posted:

The more anime a Ys game is, the worse it is. Sad but true.

Celceta is good and Kefin isn't, so this is outright false.