Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

So I've been having what seems like a permissions issue with Hangouts.

When in Hangouts or Messenger I'm unable to share any photos (from within the app) that weren't taken with the camera.

In Hangouts, if I choose to share via the little Mountain Box icon thing, then the Mountain Box icon stack, then the Photos pinwheel icon, the only option is Photos (which only includes the camera photos, none of the other images in Google Photos) or Device Folder: Camera.

Doing the same thing in the Gmail app offers up the entirety of my Google Photos library. Hangouts has all permissions enabled, so I'm not quite sure what I've missed at this point.

Mind you, I can go into the Photos app and choose to share from there, but this behavior is new to my 6P, never happened on my 5. I've already done a factory reset to fix some other permissions issues I was having with other apps, but this seems to have stuck through that :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Theris posted:

Same. Lots of tech media has been making a big deal out of the 808/810 throttling, but for most people there just isn't a use case where you're driving the big cores at 100% long enough for the throttling to be noticeable. If you're one of those people who I'll never be able to understand* doing hardcore gaming on your phone, you should probably be on iOS anyway.

It reminds me of the Samsung 950 SSD. There's people who've spent time and money to add heatsinks to theirs, because benchmarks show that the controller overheats and throttles writes after a certain period of time. Of course, no one seems to consider that full speed writes over that period of time (I don't remember exactly how long) would be enough to write something like 75% of the drive's capacity, something that never actually happens in real world usage and therefore not worth actually worrying about. Tech media is really bad at relating the difference between benchmarks and actual usage.

*People who spend lots of time on public transportation are the exception, I kind of get that. Otherwise if I'm somewhere that the only gaming device I have access to is my phone, it's because I'm doing poo poo more interesting/important/both than video games. :shrug:

The only game I play on my phone is a puzzle game that isn't very intensive, but I've heard it lags and stutters like a mofo. After some evaluation of my playing habits, though, eseentially nothing changes if I get a new phone that can't play it. My old phone can and basically I only play when I'm at home anyway.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I'm using a Nexus 6, and finally realised there's a toggle for the OK Google to work anywhere, not just the homescreen.

Man, gently caress Google. Not only does it take 30 million tries to get one of three recordings done, the loving toggle switches itself off after a few seconds. What the gently caress.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ijyt posted:

So I'm using a Nexus 6, and finally realised there's a toggle for the OK Google to work anywhere, not just the homescreen.

Man, gently caress Google. Not only does it take 30 million tries to get one of three recordings done, the loving toggle switches itself off after a few seconds. What the gently caress.
I never had any issues with that switch on an N5 or N6P. You say "oh kay google" 3 times, and you're done.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

The Xperia Z had a kinda poo poo display and battery life if i remember correctly. Its not terrible but the Z1 was were they got it right.

Specs wise its pretty much the same as the Nexus 4. Just with a bigger Display and a higher resolution.

Its water proof that in a way that yes you can actually drop it in the toilet or dunk it in a glass of water and it wont care as long as the ports are closed. Supposedly you can even ust it for underwater photography.
Be aware that if it ever had its display or backside replaced (not uncommon as both sides are made of glass) the water proofing is most likely compromised.

I tried doing underwater videos/pictures with my galaxy s5 and the screen is impossible to use while submerged, is the Xperia better?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
My xperia z3c had a dedicated camera button on the side.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mr Newsman posted:

I love my Z3C. Incredible battery life, even better on the Marshmallow Concept rom. So glad I finally sprung for one and having a dedicated button for pictures is amazing, especially outside in the winter.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ijyt posted:

Defective phone? On my 5X I literally just had to say "erkay gurgle" (I slur) three times and it has been perfect ever since.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

nimper posted:

The i-blason case on Amazon works well for me.

Thanks, that looks like just what I'm after.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Defective phone? On my 5X I literally just had to say "erkay gurgle" (I slur) three times and it has been perfect ever since.

I restarted the phone and it worked.

I have no capacity to troubleshoot after work. :sigh:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

Oh, I think the volume button takes pictures..I always forget about that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Iirc they added the camera button on the z1, which allowed it to take photos underwater (the screen, as you'd expect, doesn't work properly underwater). Works great in the wet; I took heaps of photos and videos and it always came out great. I lived mine so much I just upgraded to a z5 and haven't looked back.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

iajanus posted:

Iirc they added the camera button on the z1, which allowed it to take photos underwater (the screen, as you'd expect, doesn't work properly underwater). Works great in the wet; I took heaps of photos and videos and it always came out great. I lived mine so much I just upgraded to a z5 and haven't looked back.

Is there much UI lag in the Z5? I know the Sony launcher isn't the best on my Z3C, but Nova runs like a champ and it's overall a nippy performer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there much UI lag in the Z5? I know the Sony launcher isn't the best on my Z3C, but Nova runs like a champ and it's overall a nippy performer.

I got my mum a Z5C and had a play around with it, it's as fast as I'd expect a phone from 2015 to be. The little thing does get quite warm though - not uncomfortably so.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
So my Samsung Galaxy S6 has developed a thing where it doesn't register about 75% of presses on the bottom of my screen.

Is there anything to be done or have I gotten Samsung'ed again?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

ijyt posted:

I got my mum a Z5C and had a play around with it, it's as fast as I'd expect a phone from 2015 to be. The little thing does get quite warm though - not uncomfortably so.
Mine seemed quite toasty when I first got it but actually began running cooler with longer battery life when I turned off stamina mode. Not sure how that works but there you go.

No ui complaints and I'd imagine the bigger z5 would be even snappier with the extra gig of ram.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Has the power button on 5x gotten really terrible over time for anyone else

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Present posted:

So my Samsung Galaxy S6 has developed a thing where it doesn't register about 75% of presses on the bottom of my screen.

Hitting it against your desk might fix it!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hace posted:

Wouldn't know, never touch it. Much like the power button on my Moto X, there's not much reason to press it ever. On the Moto X, it's because of active display, on the 5x, it's because of the fingerprint sensor.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Wouldn't know, never touch it. Much like the power button on my Moto X, there's not much reason to press it ever. On the Moto X, it's because of active display, on the 5x, it's because of the fingerprint sensor.

Didn't realize I could easily check my notifications, time, and activate my camera solely with my fingerprint sensor. Are you saying that it's not an issue or that you're willing to overlook it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hace posted:

Didn't realize I could easily check my notifications, time, and activate my camera solely with my fingerprint sensor. Are you saying that it's not an issue or that you're willing to overlook it?

No, I'm being literal. The only time I touch the power button is to turn off or on the device. The feedback of the button has left no impression on me one way or another.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hace posted:

Mine's always been terrible, it's very 'mushy' and I don't really like it.

Literally only complaint, but it's a big one. It's a button I push like 100 times a day, so it better feel good to press, drat it. :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Power buttons have never been an LG strong point - the button failing was what finally killed my N4

Re checking the time I wish Ambient Display was a bit more reliable on the 6P - it's so good when it works but far too often I pick up the phone and nothing happens.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ijyt posted:

Take the Cheetos out of your mouth first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Present posted:

Just take it to the Samsung store

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Wow rude, who do you think I am.

I only eat doritos. :colbert:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Endless Mike posted:

There's actually one in most Best Buys

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Whizbang posted:

I gave my dad my old nexus 4 and set it up for him (he was using an old Nokia 6810 before this) and watching him try and use Google now with his thick Welsh accent was one of the funniest things for me all year.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Endless Mike posted:

I still don't understand the mentality with phones that says "I had my device for 6 months and it stopped working, am I boned?". If your engine in your brand new car explodes after 6 months, you don't just throw in the towel, you use the warranty.

No, they have a warranty on them for a reason, and nobody's is less than a year.

Your phone is broken, get it fixed. For free.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AlexDeGruven posted:

I still don't understand the mentality with phones that says "I had my device for 6 months and it stopped working, am I boned?". If your engine in your brand new car explodes after 6 months, you don't just throw in the towel, you use the warranty.

No, they have a warranty on them for a reason, and nobody's is less than a year.

Your phone is broken, get it fixed. For free.

But that means interacting with people.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, I have an LG sunrise (I'm poor, ok) that's running kit Kat 4.4.2 as it's max update. Recently I started getting the process.acore has stopped error...

Soft factory reset didn't fix it, hard factory reset didn't fix it, and so far I get it the least after I disabled gmail and auto sync.

Anything I can do, or is it time for a new phone? I just love this one because it's a 30 dollar tank. I drop it at least once a day, I've flushed it down the toilet, i lost the back to it and keep the battery in with duck tape. I'm rough as gently caress on it, and right now I'm a little annoyed that it's a software thing that's ruining the phone. Any other phone that labels itself as "life proof" is in the 300 or so range. I don't mind a new phone,I just don't want to spend more than 50 on a phone, and I refuse to do the contract thing again. I'm happy with my 5gigs for 45 a month.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I asked this question in another thread that doesn't move quickly at all, so I'll ask here.

My sister just bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and plans to use it here in Canada on the Bell network. The phone only supports 1 of Bell's LTE bands, band 4. It will work fine on HSPA. How will this affect the normal experience? Will LTE coverage end up being really spotty?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, I have an LG sunrise (I'm poor, ok) that's running kit Kat 4.4.2 as it's max update. Recently I started getting the process.acore has stopped error...

Soft factory reset didn't fix it, hard factory reset didn't fix it, and so far I get it the least after I disabled gmail and auto sync.

Then don't do that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

I asked this question in another thread that doesn't move quickly at all, so I'll ask here.

My sister just bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and plans to use it here in Canada on the Bell network. The phone only supports 1 of Bell's LTE bands, band 4. It will work fine on HSPA. How will this affect the normal experience? Will LTE coverage end up being really spotty?

HSPA is generally fine for stuff you're doing on phones, but if it's going to be hunting for LTE all the time, it's going to kill the battery.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

LastInLine posted:

Then don't do that?

I mean it only happens when I try to make phone calls after disabling all that.

When all that is running it happens so frequently I can't use the phone at all. Now that I've disabled everything but Swype I just can't use the phone as a phone. I try to load the dialer and I get the error message and the dialer crashes. (And I know it's not Swype, I got the error message as I was setting the phone up from a factory reset)

It lets me receive calls, just not make them.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There's actually one in most Best Buys

It's a real thing in a lot of countries. Here's the closest one to me

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Reverse Centaur posted:

It's a real thing in a lot of countries. Here's the closest one to me

Metrotown is such a hellhole

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Metrotown is such a hellhole

I like going there because I feel like the tallest person on earth among the sea of asian men.

But that drat store did convince me to buy an S3 back in the day.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Still a better poster than RZA Encryption

Holder of controversial opinions such as "you don't need to root your phone" and "I shouldn't have to erase all of my data for a software update".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RZA Encryption posted:

Holder of controversial opinions such as "you don't need to root your phone" and "I shouldn't have to erase all of my data for a software update".

Since when has that been a 'controversial opinion' here? This thread in general is anti root.