Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, I didn't say they're all poo poo, it's just they have variable quality.

How good are their Pz. IIIs and T-34s? I've no plans to play FoW, but at 2.5 euros a pop, I can't afford not to buy one or two. Hell, I might buy a Shilka just cuz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Zvezda T34 is nice, I remember wishing I'd found them before I went with PSC because they're both easier to assemble and cheaper.

One "problem" with Zvezda is that the detail is tuned closer to a scale model kit than to a gaming miniature. So identifying characteristics aren't exaggerated like you'd find on FoW figures: The Pz38 rivets are a good example of this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Pz.38(t) basically has no rivets except along the top. It's one of the earliest kits though, so it is excusable. The Pz.III I haven't looked at, but if they're anything like the Pz.IV they'll be nice. The T-34 is a great kit.

Basically, everything that doesn't have wheels is "good to great", while stuff WITH wheels are "okay to :smithicide:". Planes seem decent for the most part. Infantry and guns are the wrong scale, but still nice.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I love my little zvezda katyusha though holy gently caress putting it together was an adventure. The Matador trucks are fine too but they're a bit soft-detailed.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Numlock posted:

I don't know if you guys have looked beyond the cover of the Team Yankee rule book but most of the people who have, have come to the conclusion that the Soviets in TY are better than the Americans.
missed this but pact op!!

Picked up the TY Rulebook and gonna have a few games with some buddies and see what's good. My store has 8 US players so far and 1 Soviet. lol

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

missed this but pact op!!

Flashback to Wargame chat

I'll probably save my virg... money till BOAR or E-Germans or whatever are released.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm waiting for BAOR for my NATO group, yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I looked at the prices and decided to take the money I'd spent on a single platoon and use that to re-write Epic Armageddon for 6mm Cold War instead.

That defeats the purpose of the exercise.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 30, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just play Cold War Commander.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Serotonin posted:

Just play Cold War Commander.

CWC always felt over-abstracted to me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
We taught a new player CoC today at the club, and a thought struck me: our biggest problem must be our anaemic supply of German panzer:

The situation will probably improve in 2016, as we plan to roll into 1943 as well.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

spectralent posted:

CWC always felt over-abstracted to me.

Not especially if you take each stand to be a platoon or equivalent for IFVs. It's why it sort of works better at 3mm with multibased vehicles than at larger scales with a single tank to a base.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

We taught a new player CoC today at the club, and a thought struck me: our biggest problem must be our anaemic supply of German panzer:

The situation will probably improve in 2016, as we plan to roll into 1943 as well.
Looks like you're painfully low on Czech designs, as well as SPGs.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Looks like you're painfully low on Czech designs, as well as SPGs.

A shame, since the Pz 38(t) from Tamiya was a beaut to build. I'd happily build a second. We are limited by only using 1/48 scale tanks, which basically means Tamiya, but if we roll into 43 it opens up for their Marder III.

And of course a Tiger I and a Panther Aufs. G that pretends that it is a Ausf. A or D.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The local historical gaming group runs some seriously good-looking scenario games.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124196980@N02/albums/with/72157662528462562

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I really would love to get some more scenarios in.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If you don't run 3mm like TinyTanks, witch each 3mm commie roughly representing 1 real life commie, you're a villain of the most loathsome kind.

Infantry sabots ftw

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

The local historical gaming group runs some seriously good-looking scenario games.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124196980@N02/albums/with/72157662528462562

Wow, these are seriously beautiful tables/minis they've got there. Any idea how to get in touch with them? San Diegos not far from me and I could use some new faces to play with.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

One thing I like about CoC is that the big nasty machine gun that fires at 900 rounds per minute is the foundation of your platoon's firepower, not a handicap.

Using .Net rules helps

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Flippycunt posted:

Wow, these are seriously beautiful tables/minis they've got there. Any idea how to get in touch with them? San Diegos not far from me and I could use some new faces to play with.

If you search "San Diego Historical Miniature Wargamers" on Facebook that should bring up their group.

muggins posted:

Using .Net rules helps

5 point LMGs that get 5 shots are some poo poo and I have had more than one of my squads torn to pieces by them and the 3 ARs that seem to get thrown into every German squad.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

muggins posted:

Using .Net rules helps

IT'S CALLED BOLT ACTION NOT MACHINE GUN, rear end in a top hat. :bahgawd:

I think that it is possible those Nottingham blokes psychically feed on grog rage.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yes, I do hope that future game opponents will agree to play with Season 2 rules.

...it's the same as .Net rules?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

CoC is one of those games I wouldn't mind trying but is supplanted by all the "big name" games.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

CoC is one of those games I wouldn't mind trying but is supplanted by all the "big name" games.

As a CoC player, it is sometimes a bit irritating that the Lardies are so amazingly grognardy as well, at the expense of the game.

A common complaint is that it is hard for new players to find army lists. There are 2-3 late war lists each for UK, Soviets, Germans and US in the rulebook. Then there are a lot of official, semi-official and fanmade lists spread over the forums, two blogs, and an old Yahoo group. That has later been replaced by the forums.

Additionally, there has been several revisions of how points are weighted since the release, so you know, you have to use an algorithm to recalculate platoon cost, as two lists might be written at different times. Oh, and the support options lists have been reworked since then as well.

Now, these can be good things: the game is better balanced and the lists work better now than at release. The open attitude towards fan-made list means that there are now a Spanish Civil War "mod", one for the Abyssinian War, and a Modern Afghanistan set about to arrive as well. You really don't feel resistricted by any official lists. But all this information is spread all over the place.

The community is basically begging the author to release a revised army list book, offering to add all the fan-made lists to such a project and even do a lot of the editing for free as well. However, the author is basically adamant that the lists should be free (good point), that players should know enough about WW2 to just make their own army lists and calculate the cost themselves (a doubtful point), and that since the lists should be free it would be a waste to spend energy on a project that won't give the company revenue (a... strange point).

In the meantime, FoW and BA keep shovelling out sourcebooks with army lists that A) are actually very helpful to someone who hasn't spend years wargaming the period, and B) gives the systems a lot of visibility by basically bumping them, through news sites, review sites, and trade magazines, and keep up enthusiasm among the players.

That said, I think it is a way better game than BA for a club of dedicated gamers who like depth and experimentation, though I think that is is a horribly bad fit for competative pick-up games. As a game it is basically the opposite of Warmahordes in every way I can imagine.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 31, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JcDent posted:

Yes, I do hope that future game opponents will agree to play with Season 2 rules.

...it's the same as .Net rules?

Yup

Re: CoC I'd really love to play it and I have the rules and supplements N stuff but I feel like it is a little too far past the grog line for most of my non grog buddies. They also use a lot of British terms and humor that nobody will get. I've read the rules, and while I can definitely respect them for grabbing the key aspects of combat, they're too random / in depth I think for a lot of my buddies whom I've sold the streamlined nature of BA on. In a perfect world I could play CoC with them and they'd love it (amongst other stuff... I am an unabashed ba fanboy) but to them historical is a four letter word.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Flashback to Wargame chat

I'll probably save my virg... money till BOAR or E-Germans or whatever are released.
Polish are going to be what breaks me, probably Czechs too but I'm struggling in the face of just the Soviets.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

What're people's experiences of the fivecore games (FiveCore, FiveCore Brigade, FiveCore Company)?

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I've had some good fun with FiveCore and it's derivatives, Five Men in Normandy and Five Parsecs From Home. The almost stat-less nature of the system did take me a while to adjust to, though. I haven't tried 5Core Brigade or Company yet.

It does have a few quirks - due to rolling many ones on initiative, me and my opponent ended up doing the battlefield shuffle for 3 turns. (When you roll a one on initiative, you get to move, but not fire with, all your guys, and your opponent cannot overwatch fire on you).

I think I like Five Parsecs the most. It has a very nice old-school Traveller campaign vibe to it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Hi - not a regular poster here, but I have a specific item that I'm looking for that I thought historicals players might have an idea of where to find - I'm looking for a gas can, jerrycan style, sized such that it's not wildly out of proportion to a 28mm humanoid miniature. Does anyone have any recommendations for vendors? I've looked through some of the links in the OP and Googled, but can't find something that either comes in small enough quantities/by themselves that I don't have a shitton of extra stuff or doesn't have Nazi stuff on it (NO :stare:)

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hi - not a regular poster here, but I have a specific item that I'm looking for that I thought historicals players might have an idea of where to find - I'm looking for a gas can, jerrycan style, sized such that it's not wildly out of proportion to a 28mm humanoid miniature. Does anyone have any recommendations for vendors? I've looked through some of the links in the OP and Googled, but can't find something that either comes in small enough quantities/by themselves that I don't have a shitton of extra stuff or doesn't have Nazi stuff on it (NO :stare:)

Tamiya does a 1/48 jerrycan set for ~$10 that's got more stuff in it than you will ever need.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Models-Jerry-Can-Drum/dp/B0008F0X7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451790639&sr=8-2&keywords=tamiya+jerry+can

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looks reasonable. I might be able to repurpose the other stuff for Infinity, particularly Ariadna stuff. Thanks!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You will have zero problem repurposing it all. It's basically the cheaper, more detailed, less greebled version of the old Games Workshop "general junk" sprue.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I bought it for our WW2 terrain, and it works great both for stowage on 1/48 vehicles and for terrain. Here they serve on my jump-off points:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Someone is making 15mm Cold War BAOR and VDV infantry and armour with winter uniforms, looks suited to Team Yankee. It's already funded, has greens, CAD images and 3D prints, so already in the upper half of minis projects.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The future is here!

And it's ugly.

And it still want GHQ-bux for the ugly.

gently caress.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH they're probably going to look ugly and wrong for a few years yet. We haven't really had a proper chance to get walk-around pictures of them and check the proportions with a ruler.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

Someone is making 15mm Cold War BAOR and VDV infantry and armour with winter uniforms, looks suited to Team Yankee. It's already funded, has greens, CAD images and 3D prints, so already in the upper half of minis projects.

I want so much of that BAOR stuff.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm considering painting up some of my BF plastics for Chain of Command. I really wanted to do it in 28mm, but we already have all the terrain and vehicles for 15mm, and with a baby coming this summer, I can't really justify spending a lot of money building a new table.

Would I be completely off painting the guy in a peaked cap up as my Lieutenant? Or are they reserved for Captain and higher?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Who cares? You need a way to distinguish your officer and a cap is as good a way as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah, either a cap or the only guy without a helmet.