Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
In zada edh, you'd play zap just because you're already playing every good cantrip you can play, so you have to dig into the ones with downsides, and you still play them as well because drawing tons of cards is really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AlternateNu posted:

I think the consensus for best Zada spells in standard are Defiant Strike, Titan Strength, and Valorous Stance. Feat of Resistance is also a possibility.

Comedy option: Arcbond :v:

I'm pretty sure Arcbonding Zada results in an infinite loop but holy gently caress do I not want to figure out how those triggers get worked out. I think if you're ahead on life you can win the game by stacking them correctly though.

Edit: not infinite: damage gets checked every time a trigger resolves, so while it does create a feedback loop, it's one limited by the toughness of the creatures on the table and the life totals of the players.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 31, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gensuki posted:

Shoulder to Shoulder does not trigger Zada or heroic, does it? The spell does not target, the ability "support" targets?

That's like saying Lightning Bolt doesn't target, the rules text of Lightning Bolt does.

Which is to say, what? No you're entirely wrong. By that logic Heroic and Zada can't be triggered, full stop.

Support says up to X target creatures so Shoulder to Shoulder can target just Zada and get copied by her.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gensuki posted:

Shoulder to Shoulder does not trigger Zada or heroic, does it? The spell does not target, the ability "support" targets?

support says 'target creature'

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Voyager I posted:

I'm pretty sure Arcbonding Zada results in an infinite loop but holy gently caress do I not want to figure out how those triggers get worked out. I think if you're ahead on life you can win the game by stacking them correctly though.
It is, in fact, the best way to end a game.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
there's 500 unread posts i'm not going through but is there any reason why gaddock teeg is now like $45 dollars?

what the gently caress is going on

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

there's 500 unread posts i'm not going through but is there any reason why gaddock teeg is now like $45 dollars?

Terribly executed buyout.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

New spoilers (some decent uncommon creatures) and someone is trying to make board hate against modern eldrazi expensive (and is not doing well despite the spike).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did anyone save that Mad Money picture from the last thread with a bunch of Magic stuff edited in? I need that for...future projects.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Gaddock would be a $40 card, maybe, if he did not say "non creature" but here we are.

Most people don't play expensive non creature spells in any format, especially not the +$20/card ones. All the best threats in modern are either creatures, or 2-3 mana nonsense...

What does Gaddock Hate-out right now in modern? splinter twin proper, and some walkers? Is there a tron deck that uses fireballs for it's kills?

In legacy, most decks either never go over 3 mana, or have easy ways of dealing with a bear.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Gaddock would be a $40 card, maybe, if he did not say "non creature" but here we are.

Most people don't play expensive non creature spells in any format, especially not the +$20/card ones. All the best threats in modern are either creatures, or 2-3 mana nonsense...

What does Gaddock Hate-out right now in modern? splinter twin proper, and some walkers? Is there a tron deck that uses fireballs for it's kills?

In legacy, most decks either never go over 3 mana, or have easy ways of dealing with a bear.

You're very wrong about Legacy, but he's a dead card in Modern.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Storm comes to mind immediately for Gaddock, but I can't think of any other examples of decks he's good against in Legacy, even though I know there are at least some.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I feel like "why is [fringe eternal card] expensive now?" should be on the bingo card.

PunchFaceChampion
Jul 8, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

You just have to realize that everything on Grixis sounds like power metal bands or albums, and it becomes way more forgivable. Thraximundar would be a fantastic 80's power metal name. Who wouldn't listen to "Killer of Kings" by the band Unscythe? "Cruel Ultimatum" by Prince of Thralls?

This is 100% correct and awesome.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gensuki posted:

Other combo decks like Scapeshift, Ad Nauseam and to some extent storm. It also probably annoys the podless decks a fair amount.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Other combo decks like Scapeshift, Ad Nauseam and to some extent storm. It also probably annoys the podless decks a fair amount.

Also the hive mind win on amulet bloom.
And chalice of the void

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gensuki posted:

It was great in GP Pittsburgh when a Bogles player landed it against UW extra turns, shutting down every card in their deck besides mana leak.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like "why is [fringe eternal card] expensive now?" should be on the bingo card.

this kind of #mtgfinance spec wasn't a thing yet when the bingo card was made

basically it needs to be updated

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I thought the hot modern spec would be something like Flooded Grove, guess people don't think diamond mana will be a thing in Modern in decks other than Tron or Affinity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oooh

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
1st pick.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

1 mana Azure Mage? Whole lotta LSV drafts are gonna start with that.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The flavor text in this set is so goofy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This is an incredibly cool design and if this isn't good after this block comes in it's going to be crazy when it rotates out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I loving love azure mage and like this card too.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

the best sentient weapon was definitely that bone dagger that flips into a demon from DKA. Withengar or something.

and I'm still mad you can't play it as your commander

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Jaemdae Tome lookin sweet as hell.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

In zada edh, you'd play zap just because you're already playing every good cantrip you can play, so you have to dig into the ones with downsides, and you still play them as well because drawing tons of cards is really really good.

Fiery Gambit your own Zada, flip 30 coins, deal 24 damage to all opponents and draw 18 cards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fish Of Doom posted:

The flavor text in this set is so goofy

It made me chuckle, at least. But at this point I'd take even a terrible play on words over a pastiche of fantasy prose that serves as an allegory for the writer wanting to lick Jace's butthole

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Glidergun posted:

Fiery Gambit your own Zada, flip 30 coins, deal 24 damage to all opponents and draw 18 cards.

Resolve 63 copies on MTGO before you win 3 in a row while always choosing heads. Nice shuffler!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh I finally read the uncharted realms; sadly, the first half of it was pretty bad and the second half was okay(written by the second writer).

Nissa gets mad obby and goes to attack him; he beats her, then he beats jace, then he beats gideon. that's basically the entire story

presumably the cavalry(meaning chandra) is going to show up to bail out ARE HEROES next episode

also we had this line of text:

quote:

Nissa only saw the thick, pink tentacle after it had struck her. Ulamog.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

"Embodiment of Fury" - 3R
Creature-Elemental
Trample
Land creatures you control have trample.
Landfall— Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target land you control becomes a 3/3 Elemental creature with haste until end of turn. It's still a land.
4/3

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

dragon enthusiast posted:

"Embodiment of Fury" - 3R
Creature-Elemental
Trample
Land creatures you control have trample.
Landfall— Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target land you control becomes a 3/3 Elemental creature with haste until end of turn. It's still a land.
4/3

That's an uncommon? Wow.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

and I'm still mad you can't play it as your commander

If your playgroup won't let you play with it as your commander (with a black color identity) then gently caress them. It isn't good in any way and can only be more fun that whatever other bullshit MBC commander you were going to run.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

the Orb of Zot posted:

That's an uncommon? Wow.

next card spoiled: Harrow, as a rare

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Important things Gaddock Teeg works against in modern: Scapeshift, cryptic command, chord of calling, collected company, Karn/Ugin. Twin too, I guess. It's a perfectly good card in modern, and it's better in legacy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm in a queue for the Vintage cube and drafted Naya beatdown. My opponent plays Show and Tell and shows Blightsteel Colossus. I show Duplicant.

1-0 so far.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

people kind of already answered your question (in a dickish way), but to clear up any confusion: Support is a keyword action, it's not an ability. Like scry, or bolster. It's just shortcutting a phrase of rules text, but it's not another game object. Keyword abilities are things you activate (or trigger) and go on the stack separately, which won't be spells and won't trigger Zada. Think Cycling, Outlast, etc.

Confusingly, there are also ability words (which used to be called pseudokeywords). These are things like "Landfall —" or "Rally —", which don't do anything except help associate groups of cards together that are related mechanically.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And then I lose it all to UG Fastbond and Grixis. That was about as much fun as sticking my pecker in a toaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Goddamn, my eldrazi deck is gonna be happy after Oath. It's a shame I'll have to break my only true colorless creatures rule.

• Locked thread