Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone have a review ready for The U.S. Civil War? I keep almost buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oldstench posted:

Anyone have a review ready for The U.S. Civil War? I keep almost buying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hon47FHXgic

Marco calls it an "instant classic," which means it could be anywhere from pretty good to actually an instant classic. He can be a little generous with his reviews.

But I think it looks fantastic.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Look on the bright side: you may hate it and won't ever have to buy any of the other 27 modules!

Only 6 other modules! For $400 bucks though...

This is my first proper counter stacking game though, 8+ counter high stacks all round chaps no confusion here. Better get the tweezers out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

US Civil War was really good the one time I played it, would recommend it, it provides some interesting twists.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So VPG has another Kickstarter going for Nemo's War 2nd Edition.

Has anyone played the first edition? It looks kinda neat and I'm tempted to back it.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I really liked the first edition, it was a very compact, if rather bad looking but nicely designed game about the murderous old bastard out on the sea. This new edition looks great and the improvements really fit the game, but it suddenly takes about thrice the space it took before. Other than that, go for it, I know I will =)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

US Civil War looks...so good...

I played Crown of Roses yesterday. Oh god. Okay so none of us had played before, the owner decided that a team game would be easier on us somehow, and then it took 10 hours to play 5 turns. Fuuuuuuck.

I think I hate war of the roses as a setting, wargames in such where you take all your dudes off and put them back in their home estates every turn, the red/blue/green die 4/5/6 to hit thing, and I don't like playing games with my teammate.

Hoo boy. Very reminiscent of Richard III but way more fiddly somehow, the rules are designed specifically for historical purposes rather than game flow purposes, and I am also crap for crap at blind auctions. Perfect game for me to never, ever even remotely consider playing again.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
As if wargamers weren't compensating with their monster games enough... something my wife noticed:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
MMP just announced that they'll be reprinting OCS Tunisia, and releasing a new, beginner/entry-level version of Sicily!

I'll be buying them, even though I still haven't finished an OCS that isn't RE :p

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Whats the verdict on OCS compared to other games like ASL? I've heard so little about it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Whats the verdict on OCS compared to other games like ASL? I've heard so little about it.

My opinions:

OCS - Operational Combat Series, you have to truck supply around a lot and it's a lot like playing quartermaster general, but it's a much bigger scale with your standard bump-to-attack hex and counter fare.
SCS - Standard Combat Series, much simpler, I love it. The base system has like 6 pages of rules, and then each game has 4+ pages of game-specific rules.
TCS - Tactical Combat Series, this one's weird. You actually have to draw out your plans on a separate map and implement them against the opponent. I didn't get to play this one.
GTS - Grand Tactical Series, these games are huge, and basically like OCS but you have a chit-draw system so there's a bit of unpredictability to it.

Those are the main MMP series.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All you need to know about OCS:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Oldstench posted:

All you need to know about OCS:

Would, if I had room.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The tshirts are great. Soviet realism vs nazi idealism.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Rockker posted:

I'll be playing Empire of the Sun this weekend for the first time. Should we use the Turn 2 start for the short campaign or Turn 1 where the Japan player runs Operation Z and IAI? I'll be playing Allies. The Japan player has played before, but it was 7 or 8 years ago with the first edition. So we've both been boning up on the rules.

On a side note, I was looking for some play by post games to follow along with and was told that consimworld.com were a good place for that. :psyduck: those forums, I couldn't find anything I was looking for.

My usual recommendation is for the the less experienced player to take control of the Japanese on the 1942 campaign as it allows them to get accustomed to how offensives work while they have a massive force advantage, but if you're both new to the game, I'd suggest the 1943 campaign.

I've got an AAR of Empire of the Sun ongoing in this thread, too, if it helps. I need to get around to continuing it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

1943 is the premier scenario for the game imo apart from the big long campaign game, which is THE way to play once you got a handle on it. I would recommend you try 1941 once and then never touch it again. 1942 is the better start.

Rauthane
Dec 23, 2001
goat!
Are the Field Commander games any good? I ordered Alexander and Napoleon on a whim.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I heard that Napoleon is the best of the lot but overall the series is not the best, although this would need to be confirmed by someone that actually tried them.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rauthane posted:

Are the Field Commander games any good? I ordered Alexander and Napoleon on a whim.

SingleHandedWarfare has a review and a turn example if you're interested.

Rauthane
Dec 23, 2001
goat!
Awesome, thanks. I'll take a look at those.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Rauthane posted:

Having played Napoleon, it wasn't for me. The design is really smart, but maybe I was just not too into Napoleonic games at the time. I'd be up for trying it again sometime.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Would, if I had room.

Honestly, it gets a bad rap for being too big to enjoy. GBII/CB is supposed to be an absolute monster game and is insane even for OCS players. While there are some really big ones, most recent ones have been one/two mappers which should fit on most dining room tables. Sure, it's not a game you'll finish in one sitting, but that shouldn't be a huge knock against it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tomdidiot posted:

Honestly, it gets a bad rap for being too big to enjoy. GBII/CB is supposed to be an absolute monster game and is insane even for OCS players. While there are some really big ones, most recent ones have been one/two mappers which should fit on most dining room tables. Sure, it's not a game you'll finish in one sitting, but that shouldn't be a huge knock against it.

The only problem with games you can't finish in one sitting is that you're taking up space for something else while you're not playing. Maybe its just the ridiculous size and the growing grognard in me, but something so huge that I need a bridge I would use in pool to move oversized (or not) counters seems fun even if I only ever do it once.

Edit: Imagine playing that with a dozen or so people on each side, each commanding a certain group of units? You could get so much replayability with that; allies bickering and screwing up just like in real life!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Considering buying GMT's Ran for solo play. Anybody have any opinions on the game?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Rauthane posted:

As a counterpoint to the lukewarm comments above, the wargame reviewers on youtube all gush about how amazing and essential FC:Napoleon is.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Do you trade games? Then you have answered your question.

FC: Napoleon is a pretty fun military themed puzzle, but the scenarios do not have much staying power once beaten with a decent (historical result). This is mostly due to the fact:
- The difference has a bit too much of "well if that die went better in Ulm..." which kinda hurts motivation to grind out that perfect win. I have very similar feelings for grinding out brilliant victories in the PC game Unity of Command, which also shares the "kinda like a puzzle with dice fuckery" simple wargame feel.
- Most "conventional" scenarios are basically decided by 1-3 big pitched battles. This lets you fairly easily gauge when you're not gonna make it, restart it early and then feel it was quite easy once you get to the end.

Admittedly, the Peninsular Campaign is super cool and different and fun. 1812 is also quite characterful.

Overall, IMO it's a bit too pricy for what you can squeeze out of it, but if you feel you could trade it after blazing through all scenarios, you won't feel like you've wasted your time. It's like a cardboard phone game.

I admittedly haven't played the earlier FC games, but they look like the same thing but with just a single scenario and the battles (the single most fun thing about this game) reduced to simple dice rolling, which tbh sounds like a pretty bad deal.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

As a counterpoint to the lukewarm comments above, the wargame reviewers on youtube all gush about how amazing and essential FC:Napoleon is.

I have never seen a wargame video review review that wasn't a gusher.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

The General posted:

Considering buying GMT's Ran for solo play. Anybody have any opinions on the game?

Haven't played Ran, but I've played its sisters in the GBOH series (Deluxe SPQR and Caesar in Gaul), and I quite enjoy GBOH. It has a relatively steep early learning curve, but it's interesting (probably one of the most thoughtful models of ancient warfare out there, which puts a huge emphasis on command and control). Very good solitaire, and, because it's scenario-based, it's quite quick to set up and pull down.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So it looks like Liberty or Death and Silent Victory are getting charged from GMT tomorrow. I P500'd both of those but I just read the rulebook for LoD, and now I'm not so sure about it, what with the game making combat much more complex than previous versions of the game

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

KomradeX posted:

So it looks like Liberty or Death and Silent Victory are getting charged from GMT tomorrow. I P500'd both of those but I just read the rulebook for LoD, and now I'm not so sure about it, what with the game making combat much more complex than previous versions of the game

I haven't read the rules for LOD, but what makes them much more complex?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

From all I've heard LOD is going to probably be the only hole in my COIN collection.

Also I had a guy from BGG over to play the US Civil War and he was like at least 50 but a cool dude. He commented that my collection on BGG was quite eclectic which in terms of wargames I guess it is, what with me loving Simmons games, CDGs, ACW games, CC and solitaire games.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Wow you weren't kidding. Page 15 of the rules is a nightmare of modifiers and exceptions.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Oldstench posted:

A nightmare of modifiers and exceptions.

This is how I feel about wargames in general.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
World in Flames is a really good game.

I just discovered this fact after owning, selling, and re-owning it. Everything finally clicked in my head.

edit- (I may have just had a stroke, it's hard to tell in this hobby)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

World in Flames is a really good game.

I just discovered this fact after owning, selling, and re-owning it. Everything finally clicked in my head.

edit- (I may have just had a stroke, it's hard to tell in this hobby)

I was about to say "go look at the lp!" but then I realized you're the one who posted "hey look at my current game setup" so. :v:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Navajo Wars.

Comedy option: Fields of Fire

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Thunderbolt/Apache Leader
RAF
Fire in the Lake

The rest of the COIN games are OK solitaire but FitL is the only one I would consider buying as a solitaire only game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The more fun way to learn ASL is just playing with someone else. Make sure you have time to check the manual constantly, ask questions, and keep playing if you make errors.

Except that I have found that people who try to teach ASL, while generally nice and well meaning, have an inability to actually teach it. They want to do all the cool poo poo, and their version of going slow consists of very rapidly spouting rules at you while doing truck overruns of Japanese Hero units, eventually just grabbing your pieces and playing your turn for you to "show you what would make sense to do in this situation."

I'm being critical, but not critical of their good nature and intent, just of how easy it is to find someone who actually teaches the game reasonably well. I've just found that as such a lifestyle game, a lot of them have a very difficult time bring their minds back to a time where they had not memorized Case J and gyroscope modifiers and poo poo.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 6, 2016