Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Also, why doesn't Mannix immediately kill Warren for shooting Smithers, and instead become his trusted ally almost immediately at the start of the second act? Mannix has zero reason to trust/not urgently want to kill Warren for taunting and murdering the man who is essentially a father figure to him.

It was a legal shot and he was the new sheriff. I think Mannix, despite being an rear end in a top hat, is the closest thing the film has to a character with a redemption arc. After all he's going from a mercenary to a lawkeeper, a role he actually appears to take seriously. that's something we don't see the backstory for but I'm sure qt has one in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To me the most important line in the film is when Warren inverses the sentiment about armed blacks. When Mannix says that white are safe when blacks are unarmed it comes off as silly racism. When Warren says the opposite, it seems fair. Warren is a loving hateful monster, but I think a lot of the movie is about black anger vs white anger.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Timeless Appeal posted:

To me the most important line in the film is when Warren inverses the sentiment about armed blacks. When Mannix says that white are safe when blacks are unarmed it comes off as silly racism. When Warren says the opposite, it seems fair. Warren is a loving hateful monster, but I think a lot of the movie is about black anger vs white anger.

And how both angers can join together to be angry at a woman who won't keep her place! :v:

Like I said, Tarantino might not be as clever as he thinks he is at presenting social issues in a conscientious way (Villeneuve, for example, blows QT out the water, see Sicario, y'all), but he is still pretty drat good at it, and one of the ways he does it is throught the portrayal of violence. Some people think he goes balls to the wall with gore because he's a fan of that, but as we see in Django Unchained, he does draw a hard line between the presentation of the cruelty and murder of black slaves by the whites (presented as nothing more that brutal and awful) and Django's murder of slavers (presented in cathartic squibs), and he does the same here: all of the main characters (the actual Hateful Eight) all die in inglorious-and often ironic- ways, spraying blood and flesh everywhere, contrasted with the murder of Minnie and her crew, which is just portrayed as painful, cruel and horrifying (my audience whooped it up when the Mexicans head exploded and shouted "Ooh!" when Warren took one in the balls, but you could have heard a pin drop when Six-Horse Judy pleaded not to be killed). You can also see it with the treatment of Daisy throughout the film, and how much violence she receives at Ruth's hands without anyone saying boo-yeah, some people laughed at the audacity at the beginning, but by the end, it was just too much. Daisy's death is also really stark in contrast to the others too- beaten till bloody, covered in more blood, and finally hung with this expression of inevitable hopelessness on her face.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

resurgam40 posted:

And how both angers can join together to be angry at a woman who won't keep her place! :v:
You use :v:, but I think that's important just like it's important that Minnie hates Mexicans. The film doesn't present prejudice as something that is exclusive to whites. He only paints the extreme hatred of blacks by whites as cartoonish. When Warren tells the General that he raped his son, the General cowers like a little child behind a blanket. Blacks hate whites because of what they did. Whites hate Blacks because of weird irrational fears made up by whites. When the general believes that Warren actually raped his son, he's finding out the monster under the bed is real.

But the ending itself is important. What we see in the end is two men brought together not by understanding, but mutual hatred. It's the same way Mannix explains that that Warren wasn't respected in the military because of his valor and bravery, but because of his willingness to kill indigenous people. Hatred can bring people together just like love can lead to the slaughter of innocent people as seen in the flashback.

There is a lack of actual commentary like there is in Django and Basterds. This is a meditation on hatred that never finds a thesis.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 30, 2015

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Saw the road show.. It's tough to critique a film that doesn't seem to care what the audience thinks, from a director that dances around film and narrative conventions just to push boundaries and buttons. I love that about QT, and I was entertained the whole time, but a lot of the pieces holding the film together (and eventually keeping it plodding along) were seriously weak.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Just saw it. I think the use of the n word may be at least in part to tip off the audience about what story he's trying to turn into a western.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None

Anyways, I really enjoyed it. My favorite part was the score for sure.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Timeless Appeal posted:

Minnie hates Mexicans.

minor point but I got the feeling that this was one of the Major's many lies. Senor Bob doesn't hide his accent when him and the rest of the gang walk into Minnies in the 2nd half of the movie, and Minnie doesn't really seem to give a poo poo about him. Coupled with the Major's tendency to lie to get a reaction, I think he was just trying to bait Senor Bob with a bluff

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Timeless Appeal posted:

Minnie hates Mexicans.

This was very obviously a lie too once we see the flashback sequence. Minnie seems too sweet to hate anyone. But if she did hate Mexicans wouldn't we have seen this in the flashback as a Mexican is in her place talking Mexican-like to the two playing chess?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Señor Bob was the best thing about this film.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didnt understand why Major wouldn't just shoot everyone once Ruth was dead. He had no reason to keep whats her face alive, she's wanted dead or alive afterall.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Abu Dave posted:

I didnt understand why Major wouldn't just shoot everyone once Ruth was dead. He had no reason to keep whats her face alive, she's wanted dead or alive afterall.

I think he assumed some of the remaining men may be just innocent travelers, he didn't know all were gang members until he was already shot up in bed without bullets

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The person I saw this with was actually really confused about the whole social standing of bounty hunters, which to be fair was only something I knew about from other pop culture things I guess. I don't think I was taught in school or anything about how they were just a few rungs down from sheriffs.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Abu Dave posted:

He clearly stated more than once iirc that he wasn't one to cheat THE Hangman (John Ruth's nickname amongst the bounty hunting community). Also, the fact that John Ruth died gave the Major even more reason to respect his wish to have her hung from the neck until she was dead.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jean Eric Burn posted:

The person I saw this with was actually really confused about the whole social standing of bounty hunters, which to be fair was only something I knew about from other pop culture things I guess. I don't think I was taught in school or anything about how they were just a few rungs down from sheriffs.

...they weren't?

The guys in the movies aren't deputized law enforcement, they're a pseudo-criminal class of hitmen preying on outlaws, i.e. people everyone is officially invited to murder without consequence, which isn't a thing any modern legal system does. They're the social equivalent of the wino pushing around a shopping cart of empty cans, only the cans are people.

I woulda really liked Hateful Eight if they were winos and Daisy was a trash bag full of ten-centers bound for the recycling center

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 30, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the narrative around this movie is that it's pushing the envelope or whatever, but beneath the reservoir dogs style ending and the edifice of calling people friend of the family it's a pretty reasonable 'who dunnit' movie that doesn't carry the emotional stakes of a movie that's actually tackling prejudice. The prejudice comes off as ignorance from everyone but the general and he gets his 'just desserts' soon enough.

Those who are shocked regarding the violence against women seem to be shocked merely because it's depicted, rather than reacting to the scenario that the film sets up. While the violence to the racist body bag that Tarantino creates (the only time she's given any humanity is largely after she's had her worst) is disgusting from an aesthetic stand point, it doesn't feel particularly wrong given the context of the film that he's designed Maybe I'm desensitized because of the existence of LiveLeak or whatever, but none of the violence is given any emotional weight in terms of repercussions or dread and is done so in a slapstick manner–everyone is prepared to die or not cognisant of their own impending doom. If you're attached to Jodie and Minnie it's just because they're the only 'decent' characters in the film, not because Tarantino gives them any weight. The way they die is cartoonish and underdeveloped. They're literally on screen for like 5 minutes.

In general I thought the best part about the film was the use of crime/horror suspense and pacing in a Western film. The middle act with the coffee was the most compelling element of the film.

Obstacle2 posted:

Señor Bob was the best thing about this film.
he was great

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Support are cops

dont see this film

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
the cops that are protesting this are whiny babbies that would rather intimidate a problem rather than face it. See the movie twice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
People call it an ugly movie but I don't think it's ugly, although it does miss out on the sweeping vistas which for me define so much of westerns. It felt sordid; Rashomon set in a gutter full of inbred rats. I loved it. Samuel L Jackson's hollered insults really brightened things up at a good moment.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"'Ol' Mary Todd is calling.' Nice touch :v: "
"Thanks!" :hf:

oswald ownenstein posted:

i want to know if he actually gets raped by a bear in the revenant becaues i literally won't see it if it that happens
It was a mama bear in that movie.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 30, 2015

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

coyo7e posted:

Samuel L Jackson's hollered insults really brightened things up at a good moment.

Every line he has in the last act after getting shot is really funny

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

coyo7e posted:

People call it an ugly movie but I don't think it's ugly, although it does miss out on the sweeping vistas which for me define so much of westerns.

This was my biggest problem with the movie they go to all the expensive 70 millimeter and then shoot it all on the inside of a cabin.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Armyman25 posted:

This was my biggest problem with the movie they go to all the expensive 70 millimeter and then shoot it all on the inside of a cabin.

Yeah but dude those cabin shots. My favourite one is the one with the door in the centre, the two chairs facing each other in the foreground, and you can see the whole of the action of the entire cabin - the bar on the left and the stove on the right. There is one point in the movie where there are four separate points of focus in one shot. That is nuts.

Like just the fact that I can picture exactly the layout of the cabin is a credit to the format. As many others have said it feels like a stage, a real physical location, and much of that is due to the widescreen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious to see how they filmed this. It couldn't have been easy working in what was probably a low-light environment (real cabin in the middle of no-where) on film that doesn't have insanely high ISO's like digital sensors.

Does anyone remember if the film took place entirely during daylight? There were enough gaps and holes in the walls to maybe position lighting outside. It's not like they were supposed to have electricity, so they had to make things look realistic with lanterns and candles.

Armyman25 posted:

I figured it was to give the film an almost theatrical play feeling. Everything is on the stage at one time (not exactly, but more so than 35mm).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Armyman25 posted:

Agreed.

The Walrus posted:

Yeah but dude those cabin shots. My favourite one is the one with the door in the centre, the two chairs facing each other in the foreground, and you can see the whole of the action of the entire cabin - the bar on the left and the stove on the right. There is one point in the movie where there are four separate points of focus in one shot. That is nuts.

Like just the fact that I can picture exactly the layout of the cabin is a credit to the format. As many others have said it feels like a stage, a real physical location, and much of that is due to the widescreen.

Yeah, but the one snowy woods shot was better eye candy than all of the carriage and cabin shots combined.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm curious to see how they filmed this. It couldn't have been easy working in what was probably a low-light environment (real cabin in the middle of no-where) on film that doesn't have insanely high ISO's like digital sensors.

Does anyone remember if the film took place entirely during daylight? There were enough gaps and holes in the walls to maybe position lighting outside. It's not like they were supposed to have electricity, so they had to make things look realistic with lanterns and candles.

I figured it was to give the film an almost theatrical play feeling. Everything is on the stage at one time (not exactly, but more so than 35mm).

They used plenty of light in the cabin though, remember the crazy sunbeams coming from the roof, etc. It definitely had an artificial feel though, as any daylight coming through would have been very soft and diffused in a blizzard, not the bright warm beams we saw throughout.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The cabin was a soundstage inside a big walk-in freezer, according to the booklet they handed out.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just saw the roadshow 70mm version in santa clara, CA, and the 70mm print cut out literally 60 seconds before the final credits rolled. They showed us the last ~5 minutes in the digital version after a 10 minute wait, apologized by refunding us all our money and giving us each a free ticket. Not bad!

Also the movie's amazing.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Malloreon posted:

I just saw the roadshow 70mm version in santa clara, CA, and the 70mm print cut out literally 60 seconds before the final credits rolled. They showed us the last ~5 minutes in the digital version after a 10 minute wait, apologized by refunding us all our money and giving us each a free ticket. Not bad!

Also the movie's amazing.

drat lucky.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yeah, Mannix had JUST started reading, "Dear Major Marquis Warren..." when it stopped.

The last 5 minutes in digital included ~4 minutes of overlap with stuff I'd seen in the 70mm, and the 70mm was noticeably darker. the digital was like the entire shot had a flashlight on it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

So I liked Hateful Eight, and I'm also a huge fan of Clue and Rashomon. Anybody got any recommendations for someone who enjoys whodunits/suspenseful dramas/westerns? (Of course they don't have to belong to all three genres.)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So I liked Hateful Eight, and I'm also a huge fan of Clue and Rashomon. Anybody got any recommendations for someone who enjoys whodunits/suspenseful dramas/westerns? (Of course they don't have to belong to all three genres.)

Witness for the Prosecution tends a bit more toward courtroom drama, but I imagine you'd enjoy it if you haven't seen it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The Usual Suspects, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Django Unchained; hell you've probably seen all of these.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Check out Breakheart Pass with Charles Bronson, its a mystery story/western on a train that shares some similarities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNgchjFBd3Y

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

bullet3 posted:

Check out Breakheart Pass with Charles Bronson, its a mystery story/western on a train that shares some similarities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNgchjFBd3Y

Dude, did you watch the subtitles on that trailer? They're hilariously terrible.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Timeless Appeal posted:

There is a lack of actual commentary like there is in Django and Basterds. This is a meditation on hatred that never finds a thesis.

Does a film/work of art need a thesis to be good, though? Can't something that provocatively raises specific questions - without providing an answer - have just as much merit?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Izzhov posted:

Does a film/work of art need a thesis to be good, though? Can't something that provocatively raises specific questions - without providing an answer - have just as much merit?
It totally can? I didn't say it couldn't.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Izzhov posted:

See Salinger, J.D.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd say that if it had one, it'd be something along the lines of the relativeness of truth, maybe versus how important the truth really is in the end.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Honestly I thought there was going to be some sort of riddle-like ending having to do with the respective prices on each character's head, etc. It seemed like they put so much emphasis on that stuff in the first half of the movie.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Anderron Shi posted:

Honestly I thought there was going to be some sort of riddle-like ending having to do with the respective prices on each character's head, etc. It seemed like they put so much emphasis on that stuff in the first half of the movie.

I think that was to emphasize how quickly the alliances could shift. "You help me get my 10, I'll help you with your 8! oh, he's worth 15? that changes things!"

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Re: The souvenir programs: From what I've gathered, there are at least 8 different centerfold posters. Since there is a collectable angle with them and others might be curious what they look like, I thought I'd post the ones I've seen so far. Ruth is mine and Domergue, Bob, and Warren are from friends across the country.

Edit: When I went with my friends we all got Ruth; a friend in Miami went two times a few days apart and got different ones each time.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

People were going through the box of programs where I saw it - all of them were Mexican Bob.

• Locked thread