Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Reverse Centaur posted:

Earthquake in Vancouver - time to buy buy buy!

5.1 outside of Tacoma, WA according to the Natural Resources Canada twitter bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a major earthquake and tsunami in that region every 240 years on average, and the last one was about 310 years ago so as long as you're higher than the 3rd floor, you should be fine.

Houses have a chance of becoming beach front property too, so there's really no way to lose.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It is prudent to keep an emergency supply bag around, under the assumption that a 10+ will inevitably turn the Lower Mainland into The Road for a year or so within our lifetimes.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

When the big one hits you got another 200+ years until the next one so clearly then is the time to buy.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
The correct mentality on that topic is: 'Who loving cares, by the time that happens I'll have sold my dumb condo at a huge profit.'

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Only a fool buys into an Earthquake, gotta buy out of an Earthquake.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

It is prudent to keep an emergency supply bag around, under the assumption that a 10+ will inevitably turn the Lower Mainland into The Road for a year or so within our lifetimes.

Would Vancouverites even have a chance of surviving the post apocalypse?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

etalian posted:

Would Vancouverites even have a chance of surviving the post apocalypse?

Would Choices remain open? What about the night market with the giant duck?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

TBH Canada's probably a good place to live out the apocalypse (i.e., global warming).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

Would Choices remain open? What about the night market with the giant duck?

kitsilanoites would survive, they could easily outrun the starving bands of mutants.

Also people from Surrey, they already have Mad Max skills such as stabbing people and could also use their drug supply as money in the post apocalypse

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

shrike82 posted:

TBH Canada's probably a good place to live out the apocalypse (i.e., global warming).

its deffo funny how we're not really gonna benefit to nearly the extent that say russia will from warming and permafrost thaw cause most of that poo poo is just canadian shield anyways

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Climate change will allow canada to farm black flies and granite.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Climate change will allow canada to farm black flies and granite.

You don't understand! Global warming will make it easier to get to new granite deposits and make more granite counter tops for all the premium condos we're building! Surely replacing all the country's countertops with granite will generate more than enough money to offset spiralling food costs, right? Right?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Maybe, if we farm the black flies for food.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

etalian posted:

kitsilanoites would survive, they could easily outrun the starving bands of mutants.

Also people from Surrey, they already have Mad Max skills such as stabbing people and could also use their drug supply as money in the post apocalypse

Surrey's comparatively beautiful natural wilderness will attract great investment in the apocalypse.

The cost of living will soar in the Surrey area, forcing the poorest wastelanders into taking out outsize mortgages on newly-oceanside tin shacks and unaffordable leases on arm-mount crossbows.

Then we'll be right back here again, except complaining about our in-laws' beliefs about how much is too much to pay for clumsily improvised solar water purifiers and tubular steel to build the exocages for a rusted-out '71 Challenger with rag-stuffed paddlewheel tires burning moonshine nitromethane.

On the downside, there's a good chance it will become even more difficult to find a good donair stand.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 31, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I will be the bullet farmer of deer lake. Witness me

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I have lots of V8 muscle car equity but can't afford oil

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Cultural Imperial posted:

Mediocre.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

etalian posted:

Guzzoline.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

etalian posted:

I do often miss my moms modded-to-hell '76 Camaro. Drifting that thing through knee-high snowbanks on bald all-seasons, and hugely outrunning modern cars on the trans-canada, almost made up for the stupid cost of fueling and maintaining it.

Simple joys these rice rocket millenial kids will never know. :(

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Aren't you 26'sh?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How's my truck equity?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Scotch posted:

How's my truck equity?

ha-ha short bed!!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That truck has a lot of stolen goods from a worksite, we know this is true because Alberta has no jobs.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Laff what kind of idiot with that much poo poo doesn't get a sprinter instead

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

El Scotch posted:

How's my truck equity?

:laffo: how he drove all the way from 'berta without rolling over and exploding is a miracle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Laff what kind of idiot with that much poo poo doesn't get a sprinter instead

You'd be surprised what gets classified as a "road" out here.

Also, that truck was likely paid for in cash. The "truck equity" folks are the people with a $1k/month note on the truck the use to drive to their IT office job at an oilfield company.

As silly as it looks, anything longer/heavier sinks. anything shorter/lighter breaks.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

El Scotch posted:

How's my truck equity?

Tires and lift kit aside, you're looking at between $60-85,000 so long as there's a welder under that somewhere. A truck like that can pull $250k a year with regular full time work. That's before overtime and emergency call outs.

Of course, it does actually have to be employed...

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

103838392 Alberta Ltd

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ah, the poster eater himself.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ductonius posted:

Tires and lift kit aside, you're looking at between $60-85,000 so long as there's a welder under that somewhere. A truck like that can pull $250k a year with regular full time work. That's before overtime and emergency call outs.

Of course, it does actually have to be employed...

Just get out the acetylene cutters and start chopping off anything remotely cuprous.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Just get out the acetylene cutters and start chopping off anything remotely cuprous.

That would be the welding cables, which are 13-15mm thick pure copper strand cable. They're a favourite for thieves. That guy is taking an awful risk not having his locked up. Where I worked we had a guy drive into the site on a moped, drape cables over his shoulders like bullet belts on a Mexican bandito and drive off. Got away with 50-60lbs of copper and was out in less than two minutes. We got it on the security cams, that's how we know.

The one good thing about the collapse of commodities is the price of scrap copper has plummeted so we haven't been hit (or even had an attempt) in months. It used to be weekly.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ductonius posted:

That would be the welding cables, which are 13-15mm thick pure copper strand cable. They're a favourite for thieves. That guy is taking an awful risk not having his locked up. Where I worked we had a guy drive into the site on a moped, drape cables over his shoulders like bullet belts on a Mexican bandito and drive off. Got away with 50-60lbs of copper and was out in less than two minutes. We got it on the security cams, that's how we know.

The one good thing about the collapse of commodities is the price of scrap copper has plummeted so we haven't been hit (or even had an attempt) in months. It used to be weekly.

In Detroit they break into houses to steal the piping and wiring. In Alberta, they break into construction sites and pickup trucks.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

El Scotch posted:

How's my truck equity?

That truck can theoretically be used to accomplish actual work, thus it has no equity.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
CBC radio had a guy on who was an auction liquidator in Alberta and he was talking about how his company has seen an increase in newer used trucks being sold at auction. He had a 2016 Ford that was originally purchased for $93K hit the auction block, he didn't say what it ended up selling for though.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Powershift posted:

As silly as it looks, anything longer/heavier sinks. anything shorter/lighter breaks.

Well, yes and no. If he didn't have the stupid double cab he would either have a lot more cargo room for his welding gear or a better turning circle and off-road ability.

Having lived in Alberta for most of my life, I don't take too much offense at even the most obnoxious welding truck, but all the "metal mulisha" idiots with their lifted 3500s that hardly even leave the city can all go gently caress themselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Scotch posted:

How's my truck equity?

I see that (or a very similar lifted truck) parked there all the time. I can't imagine why you'd drive such a thing around downtown on a regular basis, but he (I'm guessing it's a he, even if the lift means there's likely no evidence of external genitalia) also I'm concerned you're stalking me because that's a picture of my building :tinfoil:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sidakafitz posted:

Well, yes and no. If he didn't have the stupid double cab he would either have a lot more cargo room for his welding gear or a better turning circle and off-road ability.

Having lived in Alberta for most of my life, I don't take too much offense at even the most obnoxious welding truck, but all the "metal mulisha" idiots with their lifted 3500s that hardly even leave the city can all go gently caress themselves.

The stupid double cab is where you keep your clothing warm and dry. when it's -40*c or you're laying in mud.

jet sanchEz posted:

CBC radio had a guy on who was an auction liquidator in Alberta and he was talking about how his company has seen an increase in newer used trucks being sold at auction. He had a 2016 Ford that was originally purchased for $93K hit the auction block, he didn't say what it ended up selling for though.

Trican has been running brand new, unused 2012/2013 trucks through the auctions.

Probably $180k to buy and rig up at a 1:1 dollar. they sold for $125k - $140k cad with a 70 cent dollar

Over the summer i saw some of their pickups go through the auction, too. 2015 F350s, under 100 kms on them. probably ~$60k sticker going for $30k.

And then the NDP comes along and tanks this well run company with their environmentalism and oil royalties.

loving NDP :argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jet sanchEz posted:

It's not just Canadians buying the trucks so maybe the sale prices aren't super bonkers.

The USD is strong enough that exporting CAD-bought trucks makes sense even after all of the importation and registration bullshit on that side.

Some quality repos this week at Regal Auctions. I do so love the month-end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I don't usually talk finance or politics with my dad. He's a life long union man and NDP voter, but a bunch came out last night that left me.. disappointed.

-Mutual funds and "investments" are all dangerous scams, the world economy is all "manipulated" and stocks aren't real things that mean anything. Real-estate is a risk but much safer than investments.
-Even if you buy a house and it loses its value you get something back when you sell, when you rent it's all down the toilet.
-What's an opportunity cost? Investments aren't an opportunity they're a risky scam.
-Voted liberal for the first time in his life because Justin promised to lower middle class taxes. Even though in our riding there was no liberal candidate he threw his vote away liberal because "I'm taxed to death and the government doesn't know how to spend my money and Justin said he'll lower my taxes!" then got really upset after the election when he learned that the "middle class tax breaks" won't effect his working class pension income. "I guess I'm not middle class!" he said with an offended tone. "I guess I should have done my research"
-Victoria and Vancouver can't be bubbles because everyone in the world and wants to live here. Maybe lovely places like Toronto or Kitimat will crash but not here because "rich chinese", everyone wants to move here, best place on earth.

Dad :(