Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

MSI are generally pretty good. Get the Gaming 4G.

Oh hey, I did. Runs good and very quiet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9781592&CatId=11972

Fury x $455

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/return.asp posted:

No Returns or Exchanges - ALL SALES FINAL

Beginning December 24, 2015, all sales are final. Orders placed on or after
12/24/2015 12:00 AM ET are not eligible for return, refund or exchange and returns will not be accepted. The manufacturer’s warranty for covered products will still apply. Information about a product manufacturer’s warranty and/or support contact information can be found within the item's detail page on our website or you can click here to visit our Help Center.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's cheap enough its worth an RMA if you want a fury x. Its like $200 off retail

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

It's cheap enough its worth an RMA if you want a fury x. Its like $200 off retail

It's $200 off retail and it's still a worse $/perf than either a 290 or an overclocked 980ti... plus all the ones that have gone on sale are the Sapphire/PowerColor that have the non-transferable warranties and especially flaky RMAs.

Edit: At least if anyone insists on getting one, they should pop open an Amazon chat window and get it price matched.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 31, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
To be fair, if absolute price/perf were the chief metric everyone went by, we'd all be getting a 750ti or 950.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I looked up some other micro stuttering in games and ran across someone playing Witcher 3 and getting the issue. Unsure if it was while using GFE, but the dude changed his "max pre-rendered frames" in NV Control Panel to "1" and it smoothed out gameplay for him. Might be worth tweaking that setting and creating a custom profile for MGSR if you haven't already.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
has anybody bought a fury x yet since its been out ... lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

To be fair, if absolute price/perf were the chief metric everyone went by, we'd all be getting a 750ti or 950.

Speak for yourself, I must have bought or directed people to buy like, five 750 Tis last year. That poo poo's cash as far as turning OEM junk into decent machines on the cheap.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Nah, for the money I don't think you can beat a $40 GTX 680 from EVGA's B-stock. Pretty sure that's the absolute peak price/perf for regular gaming, with the possible exception of some comedy-option $5 card.

The 7950 also smokes the 750 Ti in pure price/perf, Newegg has had them for $110-120 a couple times recently and they're about twice as fast as the 750 Ti. Past that, the EVGA B-stock 780 Tis are also 3x as fast for 2x the price.

All of those eat more power than the 750 Ti, and you'll need a 6- or 8-pin power cable, of course, but they're gonna push a lot more frames-per-dollar. If your power supply is that crappy you should really be replacing it anyway.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 31, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

has anybody bought a fury x yet since its been out ... lol

The thing to remember is that the 980 Ti's price-to-perf is historically unprecedented and we entirely have the Fury X to thank for that. If AMD hadn't been launching at $600 then NVIDIA probably would have launched the 980 Ti at $750 or $800 and it would still have been a pretty good deal. Heck, I seem to remember Titan Xs doing fairly well around here too (paging xthetenth :v:)

The Fury X really is a Titan-killer... it's just that NVIDIA launched their Fury-killer first.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nah, for the money I don't think you can beat a $40 GTX 680 from EVGA's B-stock. Pretty sure that's the absolute peak price/perf for regular gaming, with the possible exception of some comedy-option $5 card.

$0 marginal cost IGP.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If your power supply is that crappy you should really be replacing it anyway.

Yep, not getting a real PSU is just kicking the (possibly explosive) can down the road, and paying more for less power and performance could theoretically cover it after one or two upgrades.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thing to remember is that the 980 Ti's price-to-perf is historically unprecedented and we entirely have the Fury X to thank for that. If AMD hadn't been launching at $600 then NVIDIA probably would have launched the 980 Ti at $750 or $800 and it would still have been a pretty good deal. Heck, I seem to remember Titan Xs doing fairly well around here too (paging xthetenth :v:)

Nahh. I'm still running $300 cards for price/perf because apparently something somewhere convinced me that $300 on video cards and $3k the past year on monitors is a good, balanced budget :v: (and I don't do compute like you). Pity next generation wasn't the one everyone went with their X cards, that's the one with my name all over it.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 31, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Fury X really is a Titan-killer... it's just that NVIDIA launched their Fury-killer first.

It was indeed a good move. I remember the shock in this very thread, me included.

That being said I know someone here has one

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 7950 also smokes the 750 Ti in pure price/perf, Newegg has had them for $110-120 a couple times recently and they're about twice as fast as the 750 Ti. Past that, the EVGA B-stock 780 Tis are also 3x as fast for 2x the price.

All of those eat more power than the 750 Ti, and you'll need a 6- or 8-pin power cable, of course, but they're gonna push a lot more frames-per-dollar. If your power supply is that crappy you should really be replacing it anyway.

To be fair to my 750 Ti, the 950 wasn't out when I bought it, sales that deep don't happen around here and EVGA isn't allowed to sell its B-stock in the EU due to warranty legislation.

Ozz81 posted:

I looked up some other micro stuttering in games and ran across someone playing Witcher 3 and getting the issue. Unsure if it was while using GFE, but the dude changed his "max pre-rendered frames" in NV Control Panel to "1" and it smoothed out gameplay for him. Might be worth tweaking that setting and creating a custom profile for MGSR if you haven't already.

Nope, still looks like this. Thanks anyway.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
So, my GTX780 seems to have bit the dust and I need a replacement card. I am currently using a backup HD6850 I had still tucked away just for these kinds of situations.

What would be the most sane replacement?

970 and wait for Kepler?
Spaceheateresque 300W AMD card?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Depends on budget - 970 seems like the sweet spot for people who want a card that's in the $300-ish range, plenty of places have them for that price or lower. Otherwise, maybe a 980/980Ti if your budget allows, but again that depends both on budget constraints and number of monitors and resolution/eye candy for gaming. Personally I'd stick with NV since their cards are less power hungry than AMD equivalents and NV cards overclock like crazy. I've got a 970 and for 1080p or 1440p gaming, it's a nice balance of price to performance IMHO.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
might be important note: I will be warrantying the card so i'll get some sort of store credit towards replacement. I just have no idea what they will consider "equal", so I dont know what kind of credit I'm looking at.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

A 780 would probably be a 970. Maybe a 960 if they are dicks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don Lapre posted:

A 780 would probably be a 970. Maybe a 960 if they are dicks.

Hopefully a 970, but the 780Ti is the rough performance equal of a 970. The 960 sucks in comparison though, so the 970 is the lowest card that at least consistently beats a 780.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 31, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
A store credit version of equivalent will likely work in your favor this generation unless they are especially knowledgable and specifically use that knowledge to be dicks.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Do note that they can and will offer AMD cards as equivalent. However, I am hoping they offer a 970 so i can pay the price-difference for a 980.
Would mean I'd get a 980 for 200€

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

Hopefully a 970, but the 780Ti is the rough performance equal of a 970. The 960 sucks in comparison though, so the 970 is the lowest card that at least consistently beats a 780.

Yes, this is right. The 970 offers almost the exact performance of the 780 Ti at lower resolutions. From the benchmarks I remember the 780 Ti does slightly better at high resolutions and in SLI though.

I expect the 960 Ti will be about the performance of the Vanilla 780.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Goons who have done two graphics cards at the same time, Is SLI a world of pain?

I've got a 970 and was thinking about adding another one but the internet is full of horror stories about how SLI is a constant pain in the rear end or plain doesn't work a lot of the time. It's made me a bit gunshy about the whole deal. The other option was a 980ti bit I don't think that's a very good value proposition for a current 970 owner.

The extra noise doesn't bother me as I was planning to get quiet aftermarket coolers anyway, and the power isn't an issue as I've got a nice 850W PSU. It's mainly does the loving thing work?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SLI is becoming increasingly irrelevant until VR (maybe) takes off. DX 12 could help too, but that's another 2016 uncertainty.

I'd always explore going as far as possible with single card setups before attempting SLI.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

Goons who have done two graphics cards at the same time, Is SLI a world of pain?

I've got a 970 and was thinking about adding another one but the internet is full of horror stories about how SLI is a constant pain in the rear end or plain doesn't work a lot of the time. It's made me a bit gunshy about the whole deal. The other option was a 980ti bit I don't think that's a very good value proposition for a current 970 owner.

The extra noise doesn't bother me as I was planning to get quiet aftermarket coolers anyway, and the power isn't an issue as I've got a nice 850W PSU. It's mainly does the loving thing work?

More so now than in the past, fewer games are getting multi gpu support. For example, Fallout 4 launched with no multi gpu support. You would probably be better off selling your 970 when the next generation of cards comes out.

Purchase the top of the line model and be an early adopter.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Thanks guys, I'll struggle with less than perfect settings until a new generation of cards comes out :negative:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The hardest part about sli was clicking the enable box

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

So i dont think a gtx 970 will fit in my case, corsair carbide 400r. Are the mini atx 970s any good? I dont overclock.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have the asus one and it works just fine (overclocked to 1450mhz even), though it is loud. My case isn't a soundproofing one, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Whale Cancer posted:

So i dont think a gtx 970 will fit in my case, corsair carbide 400r. Are the mini atx 970s any good? I dont overclock.

Corsairs spec sheet says it takes 318mm cards :confused:

The thread-favorite MSI 970 is only 269mm long.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Oh ok, ill order try a big guy first then.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

EVGA isn't allowed to sell its B-stock in the EU due to warranty legislation.

Who told you that? Because they most definitely are allowed to do so, and have prominent links to their B stock through all three EU websites :confused:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cant they just offer a 2 year warranty in eu?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Sormus posted:

So, my GTX780 seems to have bit the dust and I need a replacement card. I am currently using a backup HD6850 I had still tucked away just for these kinds of situations.

What would be the most sane replacement?

970 and wait for Kepler?
Spaceheateresque 300W AMD card?

Well, to be fair they're both 300W space heaters: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/12/22/asus_r9_390_strix_directcu_iii_video_card_review/10

I guess Asus is getting really good binned chips, the 28nm process is the most matured one in history at this point, or they're using some other black magic to make 390 power levels not look insane even with a 50Mhz overclock out of the box.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

LittleBob posted:

Who told you that? Because they most definitely are allowed to do so, and have prominent links to their B stock through all three EU websites :confused:

Huh. A liar, apparently. Nevermind me, then! I guess I'll keep an eye on that for my next upgrade a few years down the line. Thanks!

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I just picked up a Asus Strix GTX970. Removed my old Radeon 7950, did the driver cleaner dance, slapped in the 970, installed the latest game ready drivers on Nvidia's website. Everything seemed fine. I went to play Battlefield 4 and 10 minutes into the game my monitor turns off and I hear either a hardware removed sound or hardware error sound being played. I tried a few other games and it seems they all have the same behavior though the period of time I can play before the card crashes varies a bit. Event viewer after some of the crashes has "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I'm kind of at a loss here of what's wrong. I'm guessing its a bad card but I've been out of the game when it comes to troubleshooting this crap for so long that I don't know where to start.

Edit: Looks like it was a bad card. I ordered a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 with prime now and no issues so far.

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 1, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I just picked up a Asus Strix GTX970. Removed my old Radeon 7950, did the driver cleaner dance, slapped in the 970, installed the latest game ready drivers on Nvidia's website. Everything seemed fine. I went to play Battlefield 4 and 10 minutes into the game my monitor turns off and I hear either a hardware removed sound or hardware error sound being played. I tried a few other games and it seems they all have the same behavior though the period of time I can play before the card crashes varies a bit. Event viewer after some of the crashes has "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I'm kind of at a loss here of what's wrong. I'm guessing its a bad card but I've been out of the game when it comes to troubleshooting this crap for so long that I don't know where to start.

Edit: Looks like it was a bad card. I ordered a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 with prime now and no issues so far.

Lol did you get that same day? I've been getting certain things within an hour or two. Its really bad for my wallet

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol did you get that same day? I've been getting certain things within an hour or two. Its really bad for my wallet

I got the strix via prime now yesterday and the g1 via prime now today. I didn't have time yesterday to fiddle with it much due to social commitments and what not.

And yes, it's bad for my wallet but I figured since I just got a nice raise and a promotion to senior I'd reward myself with a new card.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They might not have verified the factory oc was actually good for extended play- I've had that happen before (assuming it had a factory oc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Dogen posted:

They might not have verified the factory oc was actually good for extended play- I've had that happen before (assuming it had a factory oc)

Yeah it's a factory OC card. It'll be going back to Amazon Monday.