Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

twistedmentat posted:

Traitor is a better word. Literally, Ollie North is a traitor and would have been hung a decade before.

Yeah, that's my point. If you're going to just openly have law breaking scum, go whole hog.

That's why I'm appointing Scott Walker for Labor. :sherman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I will never understand how American Dad can be so good and Family Guy so bad.

They both suck but in different ways.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Katrina Pierson is back on CNN right now. Her necklace is not made of fetuses.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Embryos? Zygotes?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Embryos? Zygotes?

No fetus, embryo, or zygote-themed items of clothing whatsoever. Pierson, like Trump, is all talk.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

They both suck but in different ways.

I feel like Family Guy went the way of the Simpsons.

Granted Family Guy gave me my single favorite line from any show ever.

"Hey look, Lois! It's the two symbols of the Republican party: an elephant and a big, fat white guy who feels threatened by change."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Hey look, Lois! It's the two symbols of the Republican party: an elephant and a big, fat white guy who feels threatened by change."

It went downhill from the first episode.

I came across this just now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aFo_BV-UzI

Its an look into how Trump talks, but I think it applies to most RWM types. The usage of simple words, that seem to make a point but are really just nonsense.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 31, 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's way worse than the Simpsons cause it comes off like McFarlane actively hates the show and wants it to be horrible to watch now. And by now I mean for nearly a decade at this point

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Eh. I felt Family Guy jumped the shark after they did the Brian death episode.

I'll get flamed for this but give me MacFarlane over Trey and Matt every day of the week btw. It feels like MacFarlane taps into more of the Zuckerman type gags I grew up loving. I've only seen trey and matt pull that off once in South Park (lil' crimestoppers)

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

People seem to hate stuff when it's been on too long, regardless of whether it's still funny or not.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Seth MacFarlane is disappointing because I think he has potential to write some amazing material, he's just stretched too thin and doesn't really seem to care about his existing shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
FG is just a vehicle for gags and jokes, and not really about telling good comedic stories, or just good stories with funny characters, like the Simpsons was. I mean Robot Chicken is basically FG distilled to it's purist form. A show comprised entirely of FG cut away gags, with stop motion as a gimmick. American Dad tended to be more story driven, and got way better when they stopped the heavy handed "lol Stan is a Republican" stuff. I dunno how the last season was, especially the post TBS episodes. I know they were advertising it being edgier which is never a good sign, but TBS advertising is some of the worst on TV so there's that. I never gave Cleveland Show a chance until after it got cancelled, which is a shame because it was also better than FG.

South Park is a lot harder to watch after I became more aware and educated about their kind of politics and stuff like that. It's good when it isn't trying to be political though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

Eh. I felt Family Guy jumped the shark after they did the Brian death episode.

I'll get flamed for this but give me MacFarlane over Trey and Matt every day of the week btw. It feels like MacFarlane taps into more of the Zuckerman type gags I grew up loving. I've only seen trey and matt pull that off once in South Park (lil' crimestoppers)

I can't remember if the weird and horrible episode where stewie blackmails Brian into licking poo poo off his rear end in a top hat and Brian talks about how he wants to kill himself was before or after that but it was some of the worst, most uncomfortable television I've ever seen

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The South Park episode "Mecha Streisand" had a hand in what got me into the Cure. Seriously.

We need a right wing messaging in pop culture thread, seriously.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Star Man posted:

The South Park episode "Mecha Streisand" had a hand in what got me into the Cure. Seriously.

We need a right wing messaging in pop culture thread, seriously.

King of the Hill is the only good conservative satire.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'd actually be interested to see people's reaction to the Rush Limbaugh episode of Family Guy in this thread, because I honestly do not get the point of it. Seth seems to be a pretty strongly left leaning guy (he endorsed Bernie Sanders even), and then he invites Rush on the show and spends the entire episode trying to make his self insert character (Brian) see that Rush isn't really a bad person or something. Where did that come from? Why? It was almost South Parkish in its weird neutrality.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ToastyPotato posted:

I'd actually be interested to see people's reaction to the Rush Limbaugh episode of Family Guy in this thread, because I honestly do not get the point of it. Seth seems to be a pretty strongly left leaning guy (he endorsed Bernie Sanders even), and then he invites Rush on the show and spends the entire episode trying to make his self insert character (Brian) see that Rush isn't really a bad person or something. Where did that come from? Why? It was almost South Parkish in its weird neutrality.

I think Brian is Seth's liberal ego and he uses it to self reflect on all the ways liberalism can go wrong. At least that was the impression I got when they started using Quagmire saying Brian was a horrible person for x y and z, keeping in mind that this is all coming from confirmed horrible person Quagmire, that friend who isn't evil but really isn't a good person in any way really either.

I get the feeling Quagmire is the stand in for his typical apolitical neighbors.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We need Sideshow Bob to take TV away

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

We all dislike Limbaugh, but one cannot disagree that he's a pop culture icon at this point. I can argue against this imitators all day long, but Rush has some charisma versus his dumbass imitators. I can at least argue I'd have an interesting conversation with the man at an airport bar over some dipshit writer at breitbart.

He's Howard Stern except with right wing talking points. He's an interesting figure to actually examine. I just wish again, Fox News and his other clones didn't pop up due to his success.

He also seemed willing to poke fun at himself during the episode of which I give him kudos for.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

I think Brian is Seth's liberal ego and he uses it to self reflect on all the ways liberalism can go wrong. At least that was the impression I got when they started using Quagmire saying Brian was a horrible person for x y and z, keeping in mind that this is all coming from confirmed horrible person Quagmire, that friend who isn't evil but really isn't a good person in any way really either.

I get the feeling Quagmire is the stand in for his typical apolitical neighbors.

Yea, that weird rant from Quagmire about how he volunteers at the soup kitchen and is therefore better than liberal Brian loses a lot of its meaning when he is a confirmed rapist.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RuanGacho posted:

Quagmire, that friend who isn't evil but really isn't a good person in any way really either.

It has been a while but isn't Quagmire a literal date rapist??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you want to see Family Guy at its lowest, watch the recent episode where Peter accidentally shoots Cleveland Jr and it turns into a whole George Zimmerman thing. Its really tone deaf and in really poor taste.

Peter is charged only after some SJW get upset and when he's on trial, his defense lawyer makes it seem like Cleveland Jr is a dangerous thug, and suddenly everyone turns on the Browns. Cleveland then comes out and claims Peter didn't shoot his son, but he did and everyone looses interest because no one cares about black on black crime.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2013/02/25/macfarlane-conservative-media/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Yea, that weird rant from Quagmire about how he volunteers at the soup kitchen and is therefore better than liberal Brian loses a lot of its meaning when he is a confirmed rapist.

That's also a stupid thing to say because Brian is, you know, a dog and can't volunteer at a soup kitchen.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

It has been a while but isn't Quagmire a literal date rapist??

He had a bunch of asian sex slaves yhat escaped one episode and the Griffin family horribly abuse and maim each other all the time l. It's really dumb to try to make sociological or political points with a show where all the characters attempt to murder each other and have all been shown to be terrible monsters that couldn't possibly exist in real life

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

If you want to see Family Guy at its lowest, watch the recent episode where Peter accidentally shoots Cleveland Jr and it turns into a whole George Zimmerman thing. Its really tone deaf and in really poor taste.

Peter is charged only after some SJW get upset and when he's on trial, his defense lawyer makes it seem like Cleveland Jr is a dangerous thug, and suddenly everyone turns on the Browns. Cleveland then comes out and claims Peter didn't shoot his son, but he did and everyone looses interest because no one cares about black on black crime.

Jesus Christ that sounds like a cringey episode. I mean, from your description I feel like I can almost parse some kind of "point" but I can see how that can be a trainwreck.

RuanGacho posted:

These two points make it sound like Seth was having a bout with some kind of "liberal guilt" or something along those lines. The article mentions a Dennis Miller-esque transformation. Was Miller notably liberal at some point? I felt like he was always kind of rightish, but that he lost his poo poo after 9/11 like a lot of other people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aesop Poprock posted:

He had a bunch of asian sex slaves yhat escaped one episode and the Griffin family horribly abuse and maim each other all the time l. It's really dumb to try to make sociological or political points with a show where all the characters attempt to murder each other and have all been shown to be terrible monsters that couldn't possibly exist in real life

There was an episode where Quagmire is complaining about something and Peter says "because you're a Rapist".

And I will say, Family Guy went down hill a lot faster than Simpsons did. And the worst FG episode is worse than the worst Simpsons.

ToastyPotato posted:

Jesus Christ that sounds like a cringey episode. I mean, from your description I feel like I can almost parse some kind of "point" but I can see how that can be a trainwreck.

Yea, if you can find it, watch it and be amazed that they have the right idea, but execution is so poor. Its probably not even an issue that should be taken on by a dumb cartoon show.

You know, Matt and Trey are that rare libertarian type that isn't just a Republican who isn't Evangelical. They seem more selfish than anything. Like "how dare you tell me I can't do this thing that I enjoy", like Trey is (was?) really vocal about how much he loved to smoke and how faggy libs made it so he can't smoke anywhere. Like gently caress you dude, that poo poo is bad in every single way. Plus your such a loving rebel buying into marketing of multibillion dollar companies that traffic exclusively in human misery.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 31, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Brian the dog had multiple human girlfriends and that's weird IMHO

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

These two points make it sound like Seth was having a bout with some kind of "liberal guilt" or something along those lines. The article mentions a Dennis Miller-esque transformation. Was Miller notably liberal at some point? I felt like he was always kind of rightish, but that he lost his poo poo after 9/11 like a lot of other people.

I remember listening to the rants from his 90s show and his stay rightward slide in that. Think by the 2000 election he'd admitted he wasn't primarily a comedian but was a right wing commentator.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Brian the dog had multiple human girlfriends and that's weird IMHO

Why you gotta kinkshame. Those women were goodly enough to find the one human dog able to render consent to do their business with. You gotta give them props for being safe and sane.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Killer robot posted:

I remember listening to the rants from his 90s show and his stay rightward slide in that. Think by the 2000 election he'd admitted he wasn't primarily a comedian but was a right wing commentator.

This is probably the worst thing about Rush. A coworker of mine who is incredibly liberal always mentions how back in the early 90's and prior Rush had a rightward slant, but was hilarious, going all the way back to when he used to cover KC Royals games. It's a classic case of someone finding success then buying into their own bullshit hard.

If anyone else is from MN Tom Bernard, (a radio personality) is the same way. He is a legit funny guy, but his politics slid from right of center to hardcover Foxnews, about the time he got nationally famous.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Was Miller notably liberal at some point? I felt like he was always kind of rightish, but that he lost his poo poo after 9/11 like a lot of other people.

Oh, hell yes. Back when he was on SNL as the Weekend Update person, he really swung hard at Reagan, Bush the First, Quayle and many Repubs. He took a few shots at Democrats who did stupid things, but for the most part his stuff was pretty liberal. His special on HBO was similar. It wasn't until much later (especially after 9/11) he turned and slew all the padawans and went full right wing. I can remember pretty clearly how disappointed I was when I heard his newer, "Liberals, folks - how Sisyphusian can you get, amiright?" schtick.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

OxySnake posted:

This is probably the worst thing about Rush. A coworker of mine who is incredibly liberal always mentions how back in the early 90's and prior Rush had a rightward slant, but was hilarious, going all the way back to when he used to cover KC Royals games.

I was forced to listen to him at a job I had in the early 90's. He wasn't funny, just smarmy & sarcastic. Just a slightly lighter version of what he is now.

Rush was always awful. He made the Chelsea Clinton "dog" remark on his TV show in the late 80's/early 90's.

beatlegs fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 31, 2015

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
In my mind, the turning point was when Bush Sr. invited him to the white house.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Talked to Dad after a multi-month break (he lives out West, I'm on the East Coast and we just don't chit-chat) and he proudly tells me that he's,"going to vote for the guy with the crazy hair."

Goddamit, Dad. :bang:
So he stands with Rand?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Fox Execs that canceled Family Guy were right (not from a monetary standpoint I guess) and that was the last decent season before it started going downhill.

Family Guy is basically misogynistic frat guy humor combined with leftist political statements which impressively don't have the subtlety of Southpark which is pretty bad.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ErIog posted:

Why you gotta kinkshame. Those women were goodly enough to find the one human dog able to render consent to do their business with. You gotta give them props for being safe and sane.

The other week I had someone seriously try to claim me saying wanting to gently caress cartoon animals is gross is kinkshaming. I'm normally the one being accused of being an SJW, it was mind boggling.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The other week I had someone seriously try to claim me saying wanting to gently caress cartoon animals is gross is kinkshaming. I'm normally the one being accused of being an SJW, it was mind boggling.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kinkshaming is bullying! Don't kinkshame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Someone once told me to be less judgemental when I said I think it's kind of hosed up that stepbrother/sister/son/daughter porn is apparently really popular. I told them defending (implied underage) incest is really loving creepy, but doing so publicly during a party is kind of ballsy.