Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Random Number posted:

God help me I'm reinstalling this... luckily I'm tier 4 so I'll get to seal club in a badmech for a bit. Who's got mumble details for me? I think I'm in WoL still.
Same, except looks like I got purged, so I added myself to the sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So I reinstalled, looked at the new UI and went "Uhhhh." Is there a tldr guide to what the gently caress all is even going on? This perhaps made worse by me not playing for ~2 years after being pretty into it. So I've got 20+ mechs and most of em have shitloads of pilot unlocks and are already geared for likely-not-the-current-meta. Failing that any old bropoc bros wanna tell their old pal Goblin what's what these days?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

SRMs are great again. You should try and focus on weapons that have a similar range profile. Never not take nearly maxed armour. Brawl your heart out.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

chairface posted:

So I reinstalled, looked at the new UI and went "Uhhhh." Is there a tldr guide to what the gently caress all is even going on? This perhaps made worse by me not playing for ~2 years after being pretty into it. So I've got 20+ mechs and most of em have shitloads of pilot unlocks and are already geared for likely-not-the-current-meta. Failing that any old bropoc bros wanna tell their old pal Goblin what's what these days?

I also took a break of 2.5 years and only recently came back but what I gathered so far: 'Laservomit' is the meta now, meaning you put as many (pulse-)lasers and DHS on your mechs as possible while avoiding ghost heat due to monoboating to many of the same lasers (the UI will tell you). PPC was nerfed. Gauss Rifle was nerfed hard. AC2 is still bad. LRM are okayish against PUGs but still pretty weak against organized teams. CW is still a waste of time unless you have a strong premade to farm PUGs.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I think I prefer the Streakcrow more than using regular SRMs, at the very least it's easier to use. 360m range is way more useful than 270m. Yeah the damage is spread out more and thats bad, but the extra range is alot of the time the difference between being able to do damage at all or not. If I were a better player though I could probably find ways to minimize the distance issues I have.

This mech bay sale is pretty solid, I had enough mp laying around to grab 3 of them.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Axetrain posted:

I think I prefer the Streakcrow more than using regular SRMs, at the very least it's easier to use. 360m range is way more useful than 270m. Yeah the damage is spread out more and thats bad, but the extra range is alot of the time the difference between being able to do damage at all or not. If I were a better player though I could probably find ways to minimize the distance issues I have.

This mech bay sale is pretty solid, I had enough mp laying around to grab 3 of them.

With the streaks, RNGjesus giveth, or taketh away. But one thing is loving certain, light mechs will poo poo their pants if you look at them.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Annnnd server(s?) is down.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Melchior posted:

I figured. Great.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Melchior posted:

Maybe it was a sign. It told me that I should hold off on purchasing an urbmech

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Checking in to make sure it wasn't just me. I had an hour of free premium time left too :(.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Maybe it was a sign. It told me that I should hold off on purchasing an urbmech

You're either a Trashcan or a Trashcant son

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
MAKE THE INNERSPHERE GREAT AGAIN

VOTE TRUMP 3050

E: servers back up?

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 31, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TeeMerk posted:

MAKE THE INNERSPHERE GREAT AGAIN

VOTE TRUMP 3050

E: servers back up?

Russ' Twitter.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Ezekeel posted:

I also took a break of 2.5 years and only recently came back but what I gathered so far: 'Laservomit' is the meta now,

No. The previous meta was long range sniping. With the current modifications and quirk passes laser boating still works (it never didn't), but SRMs are now incredibly effective and if you can brawl with SRMs you should do so.

If anyone suggests using a PPC, don't. Large Pulse Laser instead. ERLL if you insist on range.

And just because there seems to be some confusion:

NEVER PUT AN XL ON A KING CRAB.

Never. There is no build where this will help you. If you can be seen your torsos can be hit. You can't twist away and arm block, crab arms don't block. You will instead just present a side torso to be focused down for you to die faster. If you are being shot just wobble your nose to try and spread damage between your front torso armor, like just draw sideways figure 8 with your mouse. If you want speed don't play a King Crab.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Never. There is no build where this will help you.

Wrong.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Please, let's not troll new players. There are enough terrible King Crabs out there already.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
servers back up and i'm lucky enough to lead my group against WoL for three matches in a row. i now have a pirates bane and it's so rad.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
As someone who doesn't own a King Crab, but has killed a lot of them, I have to say that putting XLs on them are loving stupid. It's the difference between one that can take the pounding of an Atlas and one that feels like you're killing a medium mech with bigger guns.

Putting an XL in a King Crab is practically asking to get killed way before you should in a match and it's become common enough to where I always try to aim at the side torsos now.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bolow posted:

You're either a Trashcan or a Trashcant son

Don't be a Trashcant.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

As someone who doesn't own a King Crab, but has killed a lot of them, I have to say that putting XLs on them are loving stupid. It's the difference between one that can take the pounding of an Atlas and one that feels like you're killing a medium mech with bigger guns.

Putting an XL in a King Crab is practically asking to get killed way before you should in a match and it's become common enough to where I always try to aim at the side torsos now.

Don't put XLs in Maulers either. Of course your side torsos are going to get shot first - that's where your autocannons are.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Skoll posted:

Surviving the loss of a side torso means nothing if you're piloting half a mech that's still too slow to accomplish anything.

Dual AC/20 crabs use standards, but if you're running a standard on the quad UAC/5 crab you're a moron. (anything below a 350 engine is too slow to be useful and should be replaced with a different mech)

Saying no KC should ever use an XL is bad.

Also if you want to take the pounding of an atlas, use an atlas, the king crab is too wide to even attempt anything the atlas does.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

liquidfire posted:

servers back up and i'm lucky enough to lead my group against WoL for three matches in a row. i now have a pirates bane and it's so rad.

If you can handle the heat, try it with 4 medium lasers set to fire in groups on left and right side. It cools down sssslllloooowwww, but you will be doing a lot of scouting while you cool down.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

Surviving the loss of a side torso means nothing if you're piloting half a mech that's still too slow to accomplish anything.

Dual AC/20 crabs use standards, but if you're running a standard on the quad UAC/5 crab you're a moron. (anything below a 350 engine is too slow to be useful and should be replaced with a different mech)

Saying no KC should ever use an XL is bad.

Also if you want to take the pounding of an atlas, use an atlas, the king crab is too wide to even attempt anything the atlas does.

then run a different build that isn't a gimmick vs bad pubbies

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Same issue as last night. It's hard to diagnose but we've put some measures in place to prevent it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Astroniomix posted:

You just lost half your mech so you're already in range to shoot back with the half still working.

IS XL vs STD is night and day when it comes to survivability. But by all means put an XL360 on your fat mech that can't use its arms to shield. With a whopping ~59kph you should easily be able to chase down and/or keep with all those other mechs like... uh... dire wolves I guess. And Maulers.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TeeMerk posted:

then run a different build that isn't a gimmick vs bad pubbies

The King Crab itself is a gimmick mech, the UAC/5 build is just the least bad gimmick.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Number19 posted:

Same issue as last night. It's hard to diagnose but we've put some measures in place to prevent it.

I want a free cw stocking actually two since we were robbed of anders due to :pgi:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

TeeMerk posted:

I want a free cw stocking actually two since we were robbed of anders due to :pgi:

I heard about that. That's a very odd issue and I do t even know where to start with it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

RIP the end of your holiday break. :(

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Was the TTK always so short in this game? Seems like lasers strip off armor way to fast. I ran around with the stormcrow trial just hitting everyone center mass, and internals seem to get exposed awfully fast.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

^^ TTK wasn't as bad in beta, no. But what happened is that they added clan mechs (which basically had higher alphas on guns with higher range) and changed drop teams per match from 8 mechs to 12. So you had 50% more mechs per match, many of which could be clan and have better guns. With organized groups who can aim? TTK tanked.

Astroniomix posted:

but if you're running a standard on the quad UAC/5 crab you're a moron. (anything below a 350 engine is too slow...

You are in insane territory here. Half a crab with UAC5s is still two UAC5s and not loving dead. If you can't handle under 350 you are loving awful and/or running solo-pub, which is not something you should be doing with a 100 ton assault. Run a different mech.

Seriously just loving stop.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 31, 2015

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
a jester with 6mpls, xl355 and 2jj can vomit lasers all day

can't wait for the catapult -- aswell as the quickdraw -- to be rescaled

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Reztes posted:

I haven't played this since beta, please tell me which of my robots is least garbage now and if there are any fun builds to use for them. Here's what I have and what I think I should be doing:

Jenner-F (go fast, shoot lasers at butts?) decent, try 6x spl
Raven-3L (same as above but with ECM and SRMs?) solid
Centurion-A (zombie SRM brawler, should I throw an AC in the arm or just leave it empty for more missles?) more missiles, ASRM4 are actually better than srm6 a lot of the time, try it out
Centurion-AH (free mech for some reason??? I'm guessing I should use this over the A for the bonus cash) yep
Hunchback-4SP (less tanky SRM brawler with more laser backup?) 2x SRM6 and 5ML is a great build
Cataphract-4X (I hear gauss is bad now? I had 2 gauss in this before) gauss is bad :(
Stalker-3F (has a bunch of large lasers in it, I assume this is lovely now due to ghost heat, maybe pile on a bunch of SRMs instead?) SRMMMMMMS

Oh yeah also do the extra academy tutorials give you money beyond the basic part it forces you to do now?

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

^^ TTK wasn't as bad in beta, no. But what happened is that they added clan mechs (which basically had higher alphas on guns with higher range) and changed drop teams per match from 8 mechs to 12. So you had 50% more mechs per match, many of which could be clan and have better guns. With organized groups who can aim? TTK tanked.

they also introduced HSR and fixed a lot of hit registry issues

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

You are in insane territory here. Half a crab with UAC5s is still two UAC5s and not loving dead. If you can't handle under 350 you are loving awful and/or running solo-pub, which is not something you should be doing with a 100 ton assault. Run a different mech.

I will revise my previous statements and say that a STD 325 is the way to go, the speed loss hurts, but you can still at least track moving targets and the surivability will probably come in handy one day when I lose a side torso but still have ammo left. (but holy gently caress 9 tons doesn't last long at all)

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bait and Swatch posted:

Was the TTK always so short in this game? Seems like lasers strip off armor way to fast. I ran around with the stormcrow trial just hitting everyone center mass, and internals seem to get exposed awfully fast.

Clans just have better alphas than IS mechs, their lasers do more damage per shot with the need to focus for alittle longer. Not to mention how they can just strap more weapons on with omnipods and lower weight all across.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Clans generally do more damage per pull of the trigger, but the recent heatsink changes make it so IS has higher capacity and slightly slower dissipation vs. Clans' low heat capacity and slightly faster dissipation. Basically this translates to Clans being able to fire their large alphas fewer times before having to cool off, while IS can fire more volleys before heat is an issue, and thus are a little better at sustained combat/brawling.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

No. The previous meta was long range sniping. With the current modifications and quirk passes laser boating still works (it never didn't), but SRMs are now incredibly effective and if you can brawl with SRMs you should do so.

If anyone suggests using a PPC, don't. Large Pulse Laser instead. ERLL if you insist on range.

And just because there seems to be some confusion:

Never. There is no build where this will help you. If you can be seen your torsos can be hit. You can't twist away and arm block, crab arms don't block. You will instead just present a side torso to be focused down for you to die faster. If you are being shot just wobble your nose to try and spread damage between your front torso armor, like just draw sideways figure 8 with your mouse. If you want speed don't play a King Crab.

I guess it depends on what level you play. So far I have only played Quick Play solo queue and I am T3 and I have not seen many SRM since the missile buffs. Definitely more LRM though.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

TTK has been in a constant downward spiral since beta. Although I think there is some sort of bug with damage with some mechs. I have a stalker that has max armor, but once in a while it'll go from full health to dead after a hit to the arms. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Ezekeel posted:

I guess it depends on what level you play. So far I have only played Quick Play solo queue and I am T3 and I have not seen many SRM since the missile buffs. Definitely more LRM though.

I wish I had the data on weapon usage over time, I strongly suspect that when brawling started coming back, LRMs are more viable (more targets out in areas where they can be both hit and locked continuously) which is in turn causing them to rise up too, as I've noticed an increase in them as well.

• Locked thread