Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I was so incredibly, wildly overpowered for that fight I didn't even really notice the shielding gimmick, haha. Like, my entire squad was in 50 skells and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I was so incredibly, wildly overpowered for that fight I didn't even really notice the shielding gimmick, haha. Like, my entire squad was in 50 skells and such.
Had a similar experience. I "only" had two Lv. 50 Skells but my Intergalactic G-Busters killed it so fast I never noticed that gimmick. A bit disappointing, but there's something extremely satisfying about ignoring the final bosses' bullshit and just killing them in less than a minute.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just beat the game.

Thoughts:

• While I agree that this game was certainly going for something different and I appreciate that, it is nowhere near as good as Xenoblade. Worse game design, worse exploration, worse characters, worse music, worse story.
  • The map on the gamepad was a godsend.
  • Why is alien Elma dressed like a whore? She acts so graceful and what not yet she dresses like a stripper?
  • Chapter 12 was loving ridiculous. I had to grind six levels (to level 53) before I could beat it. Lao wasn't so bad, but the second form of Vita was dreadful. I loving H-A-T-E when he activates his barrier toward the end and I had to kill that probe thing.
  • Surprisingly despite being a kid, Lin actually was a pretty decent character. Outside of her "I'm going to cook you Tatsu!" she wasn't annoying at all. A rarity for child party members.
  • The server for this game is a mess. Got disconnected multiple times both at home and at work.
  • The ending of the game was rushed.

Overall pretty good game, but nowhere near as good as Xenoblade. Though to be fair this game is only Xenoblade in name as it tried to be something completely different.

My only question is if the cut-scene at the end of the credits showing that the conscious database is destroyed despite their consciousness being in the robots...is that every explained? All I got in the end of the scene was "It is something about this planet."Is that explained at like some end cutscene if you do all the missions in the game?

Infinity Gaia posted:

How did you get Level 50 skells being that they cost like two million dollars? It would take forever to farm that money for me.

a cartoon duck posted:

Leave your skells and die three times to keep them around for easy mode.

I generally went for the orbs for the first two thirds of the fight, making sure to tell my teammates to go for whatever I am targeting, making sure to keep my Overdrive for later. When the shield's up I went after the shield orb and sicced my teammates on it as well, all while ignoring the four orbs around the shield orbs because for whatever reason they almost never take damage. When the shield orb's down I just sic everyone on the main boss, activate Overdrive and hope it goes on for long enough to take it down.

And also, this is vitally important, don't get too attached to your skells and be ready for ground combat. I wasn't and it made things even worse.

This is what I ended up doing, minus the overdrive part.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 31, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

punk rebel ecks posted:

Overall pretty good game, but nowhere near as good as Xenoblade. Though to be fair this game is only Xenoblade in name as it tried to be something completely different.

My only question is if the cut-scene at the end of the credits showing that the conscious database is destroyed despite their consciousness being in the robots...is that every explained? All I got in the end of the scene was "It is something about this planet."Is that explained at like some end cutscene if you do all the missions in the game?

How did you get Level 50 skells being that they cost like two million dollars? It would take forever to farm that money for me.
Nothing about the final stinger gets explained outright, but doing all the affinity and side missions may leave you feeling differently because those are where the game beats you over the head with and then rubs your nose in the Xeno-series themes.

You could get level 50 skells by the end fight if, say, you end up getting distracted by a small fraction of side content and don't hit the final mission by 100 hours, after which point you have more cash than you know what to do with just from the survey ticks during side nonsense.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just have FrontierNet set up to mostly give me cash while I do quest (which also gives me a bit of cash).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What's the deal with the giant plant things? I attacked one in Sylvalum with my Ares90 and it knocked off half my HP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

punk rebel ecks posted:

worse exploration

:newlol:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

punk rebel ecks posted:

FrontierNav profits. I think by end-game I was getting around 200k per tick or so? I also just basically did every piece of side content I possibly humanly could before beating the game, so.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

:vince:

http://birdonwheels5.no-ip.org/xenoblade/augment_search.php

Someone made an augment search.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 31, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If they (hopefully) make a sequel, I hope they re-examine skells. They're fun at first for the big power boost, but are really shallow and boring compared to regular ground combat and basically supplant it until the super end game builds. I wouldn't mind them cutting out fuel use from flight and reducing the number of weapons you can equip (maybe just have your skell be equipped based on your class), but making skell attacks burn a lot more fuel and binding/parking restore it faster so that hopping in and out of a skell in combat or giving it a rest for a while is more of a thing. For fights where you're intended to be in a skell for longer periods, binding could restore more I guess. I definitely wouldn't want them to be ditched entirely, but they need to be iterated on to still feel cool and important without effectively removing a good portion of the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sorry, but its true. While X has bigger and more scenic locations, there is no meat to the exploration. In Chronicles when exploring a territory you'll often find hidden bosses, secret dungeons, lost tribes, hidden quests, etc. With X it was often just more land to run around in.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sorry, but its true. While X has bigger and more scenic locations, there is no meat to the exploration. In Chronicles when exploring a territory you'll often find hidden bosses, secret dungeons, lost tribes, hidden quests, etc. With X it was often just more land to run around in.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

there are over 370 tyrants in the game which are hidden bosses. There's also around 50 hidden locations and a shitload of treasure boxes.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The world of Xenoblade X is objectively much larger than the first game's, but still manages to feel smaller. This is a testament to the way it wastes space, features less overall visual diversity, and fails to connect its landscapes with memorable moments.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It doesn't feel smaller to me and I connect the landscapes with memorable moments via the gameplay :shrug:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

The world of Xenoblade X is objectively much larger than the first game's, but still manages to feel smaller, which is a testament to the way it wastes space and fails to connect its landscapes with memorable moments.

And you would be wrong

Biggest empty space around is the Sylvalum Lake, but there's 3 hidden locations right underneath it that people don't bother finding.

If you fly up there's a Tyrant boss jakku, if you head over to the mountains there's a cave entrance in the mountain itself that leads to the Blue Beholder type Tyrant enemy, the big green orb is a location you can enter and fight a telethia, there's also the cave of The Dead, The Cantor Nest that contains 4 other Tyrants, there's also an island that's further out located off the map itself where you fight another super secret tyrant and aquire a powerful augment.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 31, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I didn't say empty, I said wasted. There is terrain, but interesting/memorable use is not usually made of it. Generic tyrants scaled up from the same rigs as the regular enemies are not interesting/memorable.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The world of Xenoblade X feels smaller because you're not slow as poo poo, you can jump higher than a small child, and it has decent number of fast travel points, and the game is better for it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

I didn't say empty, I said wasted. There is terrain, but interesting/memorable use is not usually made of it. Generic tyrants scaled up from the same rigs as the regular enemies are not interesting/memorable.

And again you would be wrong, nothing is wasted

http://imgur.com/a/p2Zrb

there's a load of interesting poo poo to do/see.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah as someone who just ran through xeno before getting to x y'all are very much misremembering how much space in xeno is wasted. You get to Guar Plains and go "holy poo poo this place is so big and full of life" but there's like maybe 6 points of interest on a map that takes 10 minutes to cross

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Guys they're re-using enemy models as different enemies and bosses! THE GAME DESTROYED MY IMMERSION BECAUSE OF THIS THE SERIES IS OVER, THE FRANCHISE IS RUINED ITS JUST A GRAND FACADE!

Welcome to every RPG videogame ever, they re-purpose enemies and assets all the time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of locale diversity in X, considering the continents are kind of presented as "plains continent, rain forest continent, desert continent, ice continent, lava continent." Primordia is maybe not the greatest, but the others all have a lot of varied locations.

Spinning Robo posted:

Yeah as someone who just ran through xeno before getting to x y'all are very much misremembering how much space in xeno is wasted. You get to Guar Plains and go "holy poo poo this place is so big and full of life" but there's like maybe 6 points of interest on a map that takes 10 minutes to cross

Also literally the entirety of Eryth Sea, which was breath taking to look at but good god almighty was that a mess.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spinning Robo posted:

I also played through the first game this year. Although regions are smaller, there's a greater number and variety. Each area comes with a distinct tonal/visual shift, and is tied to memorable story cutscenes. When I think of the world and geography of Xenoblade, I think of the long and winding path the game takes you through, and how many twists and turns and visual changes came at each point.

When I think of any one of the regions in Xenoblade X, I think "Well that place looked nice, but nothing interesting happened there", and the human mind tends to compress things that are informationally insignificant. For me, a level 90 bug living in a cave somewhere doesn't actually add memorability to a hex on the map.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

I also played through the first game this year. Although regions are smaller, there's a greater number and variety. Each area comes with a distinct tonal/visual shift, and is tied to memorable story cutscenes. When I think of the world and geography of Xenoblade, I think of the long and winding path the game takes you through, and how many twists and turns and visual changes came at each point.

When I think of any one of the regions in Xenoblade X, I think "Well that place looked nice, but nothing interesting happened there", and the human mind tends to compress things that are informationally insignificant. For me, a level 90 bug living in a cave somewhere doesn't actually add memorability to a hex on the map.

The original Xenoblade was story driven like Xenogears and the three Xenosagas. It really did not deviate much from the other 4 games.

Xenoblade X is an open world game and actually caters to open wolrd gameplay mechanics such as non-linear exploration. The reason why the Hexes are there is so the player can get feedback that they have completed the objective of the area and move on to the next one filling out as much or as little data as they want since the game itself is very non-linear because it's base around the concept of exploration.
And all 5 areas have very distinct visual shifts and themes.

Half of Cauldros exists underground, but you never go to these places unless you do the optional quests.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 31, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah but when you're exploring around and that level 90 bug ambushes you and wipes you, you tend to remember

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lessail posted:

Yeah but when you're exploring around and that level 90 bug ambushes you and wipes you, you tend to remember

There's also the Tyrant Ceto who lives on the roof of the galgion base who has special lasers that the regular cetos don't have

And the Tyrant Balena called the Drifting Cloud who rolls with a pod of normal balenas around the islands in between Primordia and Sylv. It's a full on mid-air battle and you have to fly fairly high to reach it.

Also lets not forget the Red Hare calling down a mech that's level 99 and causing you to suddenly change your fight strategy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You can argue that Xenoblade's locales are more visually appealing than X's relatively more archetypal zones, but the latter are way more interesting to explore thanks to being designed around your expanded movement options. Xenoblade has a really pretty world, but you can't do much in it aside from walk from point A to B.

e:

Lessail posted:

Enemies are generally well integrated into the world design. Higher level ones are a constant threat to keep in mind while exploring, and I had numerous memorable experiences where a deliberately hidden Tyrant surprised me while I was checking out an area.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 31, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

You can argue that Xenoblade's locales are more visually appealing than X's relatively more archetypal zones, but the latter are way more interesting to explore thanks to being designed around your expanded movement options. Xenoblade has a really pretty world, but you can't really do anything in it aside from walk from point A to B.

Yeah Xenoblade told you that your world was a giant robot, but you couldn't appreciate it in it's full splendor. the Bionis's knee certainly didn't look or feel like a knee because you couldn't observe it at a distance. It might just as well not been part of a giant robot because it certainly didn't look like it. Only the fallen bionis hand actually looked like the body part it was named after because you could see the whole deal.

here in Xenoblade X you crashland a full city into an alien landscape, and you can explore the whole city an alien landscape however you choose.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah I will definitely say that as far as style and art design go locales in xeno stick in my mind better than they do in X.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Motto posted:

Enemies are generally well integrated into the world design. Higher level ones are a constant threat to keep in mind while exploring, and I had numerous memorable experiences where a deliberately hidden Tyrant surprised me while I was checking out an area.

The enemy placement actually fixes probably my biggest problem I had with Xenoblade which was how easy it was to overlevel. Before if you did a bunch of sidequests, the next few areas would be you just tediously walking across a landscape with weak, worthless enemies to ignore. Now, even if you overlevel, that just means you have new enemies to face that you used to have to avoid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the locations in X are actually quite a bit more interesting to explore and honestly more memorable as well. They don't have the distinct specific tone-shifts of Xenoblade but I consider that a positive thing because the entire world feels like an actual place and not an interconnected series of checkpoints you get to via travelling through the inside of a robot's rear end.

Not only that but you can actually explore. If you look at a place you can go there and those places include huge mountains or floating cities or weird ruins in the middle of a lake or hidden caves full of treasure or whatever. Xenoblade X is a game that actually gets exploration right. If it does one thing 'wrong' it is that Skells are such a powerful game changer that a lot of people don't actually get out of them and see what you can see when travelling around on foot.

I had fun exploring in Xenoblade X. In Xenoblade I just walked forward from quest zone to quest zone and if I happened to collect some items that solved a sidequest that was cool. Exploration was a chore due to your limited movement abilities and it never really felt like a large world. In X I legitimately wanted to explore, to the point where I only progressed the plot when it absolutely made me and once I got my flying skell I functionally ignores the plot existed because I was more interested in the world than the storyline. It's the polar opposite of Xenoblade where I spent the bare minimum in each zone because there was no reason not to.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 31, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Guys they're re-using enemy models as different enemies and bosses! THE GAME DESTROYED MY IMMERSION BECAUSE OF THIS THE SERIES IS OVER, THE FRANCHISE IS RUINED ITS JUST A GRAND FACADE!

Welcome to every RPG videogame ever, they re-purpose enemies and assets all the time.

it's definitely worse in some games than others tho (see FFX and most dragon quests) and you were complaining about enemy variety yourself not long ago

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have put 80+ hours into this game and only just noticed that in combat the tool tips at the bottom for what your skills do will say what allies' soul voices will do. Granted you don't really have a whole lot of time to notice it, but that makes remembering them a hell of a lot easier than trying to remember from the soul voice menu what they do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

there are over 370 tyrants in the game which are hidden bosses. There's also around 50 hidden locations and a shitload of treasure boxes.

It isn't the same thing. The "hidden locations" aren't designed to be dungeon like areas. The tyrants are simply common bosses with beefed up stats with few exceptions. Treasures don't really mean anything to me as they are displayed right there on the map. Hardly a treasure to me.

Compare this to Xenoblade. Sure it lacked the amount of hidden bosses, but the bosses were unique such as the giant Spider in the Gaur Plains. Not to mention it was actually HIDDEN. You had to really explore to find them, compared to X where they are out in the open and literally the same enemies in the area just a few levels higher. The "hidden locations" in Xenoblade X are more or less scenic viewpoints and don't offer much in terms of content. And really aren't even difficult to find, especially once you get a Skell. In comparison in Chronicles you really had to work to find most of these, and often they were packed with unique content. Sometimes you would find a challenging boss. Sometimes you would find a huge shortcut as oppose to taking a lengthy route. Other times you will find cool stuff like hidden tribes and or ruins that made the world feel very alive and really gave me more reason to explore. With Xenoblade X this was hardly present. Even in places where they somewhat attempted this such as Cauldros they still failed as there wasn't much to the areas outside of a few enemies that you've seen countless times before.

The Taint Reaper posted:

You talk like there is nothing in between Xenoblade X's constant copying and a game with no repeating content. It is completely possible to have a middle ground.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

. Sure it lacked the amount of hidden bosses, but the bosses were unique such as the giant Spider in the Gaur Plains.

Did we play a different Xenoblade Chronicles?

No they weren't? Like this is objectively untrue. The vast majority of the bosses/super-enemies/whatever in Xenoblade were exactly the same thing as Tyrants right down to having silly names.

punk rebel ecks posted:

In comparison in Chronicles you really had to work to find most of these, and often they were packed with unique content.

We absolutely played a different Xenoblade Chronicles unless I somehow missed these amazing hidden areas packed with content.

You're absolutely bullshitting. You are, at minimum, exaggerating to a hilarious degree to make the hidden landmarks in Xenoblade feel bigger while also going out of your way to pretend like there's nothing secret, hidden or unique in X.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 31, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You either have some serious rose tinted glasses or you didn't explore much of X at all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Did we play a different Xenoblade Chronicles?

We absolutely played a different Xenoblade Chronicles unless I somehow missed these amazing hidden areas packed with content.

You're absolutely bullshitting. You are, at minimum, exaggerating to a hilarious degree to make the hidden landmarks in Xenoblade feel bigger while also going out of your way to pretend like there's nothing secret, hidden or unique in X.

I recall arguing with you about Xenoblade before and I don't intend to do so again. I'll just end with I disagree and yes you did play the game wrong.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You either have some serious rose tinted glasses or you didn't explore much of X at all.

The thing isn't that Xenoblade Chronicles exploration was incredible, it is just that Xenoblade X's exploration is so bad in comparison that it makes Xenoblade Chronicles look incredible in comparison. I explored X just fine and had a pretty good survey rate of all the areas. It is just really boring and mediocre to explore. Really felt like a chore to go through the game.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I recall arguing with you about Xenoblade before and I don't intend to do so again. I'll just end with I disagree and yes you did play the game wrong

You're disagreeing about things which are actually provable wrong though. Like this isn't an opinion. It is in fact trivial to point out that Xenoblade and Xenoblade X share the exact same structure when it comes to hidden enemies.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You're disagreeing about things which are actually provable wrong though. Like this isn't an opinion. It is in fact trivial to point out that Xenoblade and Xenoblade X share the exact same structure when it comes to hidden enemies.

No it isn't. You can keep saying "objective", but sorry it isn't true. In Chronicles you actually have to reasonably explore areas to find many of the bosses. Not all of them, but a good sum of them. In Xenoblade X virtually all of them are just walking around in open field in a common area.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The addition of dashing and jumping alone makes X's exploration way more enjoyable and interesting than that of XBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

No it isn't. You can keep saying "objective", but sorry it isn't true. In Chronicles you actually have to reasonably explore areas to find many of the bosses. Not all of them, but a good sum of them. In Xenoblade X virtually all of them are just walking around in open field in a common area.

Literally incorrect

• Locked thread