Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

DandyLion posted:

Is there a target number of experience that corresponds to that 'soft' limit of available means that a GM can up the ante? What if the GM capped it at 1000xp or something to that effect and then any further xp earned is either throwaway or can be used to 're-allocate' xp at the players choice or something so they can still play a legacy character if they want to with the only advancements being re-structuring of the character?

Not really a hard or soft limit, it depends very much on how diverse the PC's are. As some one who has burned through 700xp on a single character he is no better at any one thing than a focused "knight level" character, it's just he is that good at a number of things. 400 xp on a character who focuses will be where you would want to up the ante

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DandyLion posted:

Is there a target number of experience that corresponds to that 'soft' limit of available means that a GM can up the ante? What if the GM capped it at 1000xp or something to that effect and then any further xp earned is either throwaway or can be used to 're-allocate' xp at the players choice or something so they can still play a legacy character if they want to with the only advancements being re-structuring of the character?

The actual limit is the point when a given GM can no longer keep the players entertained and challenged. I see what you are getting at with re-allocation, and it's your campaign, but I don't see the sense or value -- my smuggler now isn't an expert pilot, he's a consular Jedi who can't pilot a ship worth a pile of Bantha poodoo?

XP is 10-20 per session with a 2-3 major and 2-3 minor encounters, with 5 XP going for narrative milestone sessions and 5 XP for role-playing at the GM's discretion. Getting up to 30 in one session sounds exorbitant and at the very beginning of the game it is, but every specialization costs more than the one before it (with a discount for choosing ones within your starting career). It would be reasonable to imagine a regular gaming group getting 800 XP in a real-life calendar year, which is enough to land the Dedication talent (+1 to a Characteristic after character generation) maybe . . . four times?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I saw The Film.

It was okay. About what I expected from a hack like JJ Abrams.

It wasn't a terrible 4th Star Wars movie, but it still can't hold a candle to the other 3, especially ANH which it essentially aped shamelessly at every turn.

Still, could have been a lot worse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You seem fun

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

I saw The Film.

It wasn't a terrible 4th Star Wars movie, but it still can't hold a candle to the other 3, especially ANH which it essentially aped shamelessly at every turn.

Given that this is the 7th Star Wars film, not the 4th; how did you feel about that?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bet you're a hit at parties.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Fuzz posted:

I saw The Film.

Yeah, I mean, it could have been worse. Imagine him getting his truther friend Bob Orci to write it like they did with Star Trek Into Darkness and turning it into a Bush did 9/11 movie.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Given that this is the 7th Star Wars film, not the 4th; how did you feel about that?

7th Star Wars film... no clue what you're on about, buddy. :smugbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

7th Star Wars film... no clue what you're on about, buddy. :smugbert:

Well if you want to include Clone Wars and the two Ewok movies, this is number 10

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Well if you want to include Clone Wars and the two Ewok movies, this is number 10

Regardless of what you think of the prequels I think this is something we can all agree not to do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Regardless of what you think of the prequels I think this is something we can all agree not to do.

Honestly, I've never gotten around to watching Ewoks...but I personally don't think the Clone Wars film deserves all the hate it gets. It was definitely aimed at a younger audience than the show proper ended up at, and the animation was not ready for the silver screen...but I liked it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I found a copy of Caravan of Courage at a video store in the late nineties.

A little part of 10-year-old me died that day.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm not sure I could ever play a Star Wars RPG, at least with semi-strangers. Because I kinda like the prequels (or at least not hate them) and I think they had a lot of cool things in them (and not just blasters and ships and stuff, but plot points) that I'd want to include in a game, and I wouldn't want some asshat going on a vitrolic anti-Prequel rant at me for daring to want to do something like playing a retired Clone Trooper (drat you Rebels era Rex for stealing this idea :argh:) or using the word Padawan or similar.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not sure I could ever play a Star Wars RPG, at least with semi-strangers. Because I kinda like the prequels (or at least not hate them) and I think they had a lot of cool things in them (and not just blasters and ships and stuff, but plot points) that I'd want to include in a game, and I wouldn't want some asshat going on a vitrolic anti-Prequel rant at me for daring to want to do something like playing a retired Clone Trooper (drat you Rebels era Rex for stealing this idea :argh:) or using the word Padawan or similar.

While I'm sitting with you on the Wrong Bad Opinions about the Prequels bus, I think you are fine with clones ex troopers and Padawan, except with the worst of the worst. Just don't mention Anakin or midichloriens.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Honestly, I've never gotten around to watching Ewoks...but I personally don't think the Clone Wars film deserves all the hate it gets. It was definitely aimed at a younger audience than the show proper ended up at, and the animation was not ready for the silver screen...but I liked it.

Still not even sure what you're talking about. There were 3 SW movies, one TV series that just came out recently, and like a handful of books on the old EU, one at of which was this great trilogy.

THAT'S IT. :colbert:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I had thought padawans were OT stuff so I guess I don't find it all that offensive :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Newest campaign idea.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are retired clone troopers in a published FFG EotE adventure, so you are safe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just stick to stuff from the Clone Wars series, since that's a nice filtering of Lucas' good concepts & ideas through other people into something most people agree is good.

If you want to bring in trade disputes or godawful 'romance' subplots, though, you are beyond all salvation.

homullus posted:

There are retired clone troopers in a published FFG EotE adventure, so you are safe.

Really, which one? Unless that'd be spoilers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I know Chronicles of the Gatekeeper has one, and that's not really spoilers at all.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
How is the Propagandist spec from Desperate Allies? I've been looking for a good fit for a George Smiley type counterintelligence character and the description sounds promising.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just stick to stuff from the Clone Wars series, since that's a nice filtering of Lucas' good concepts & ideas through other people into something most people agree is good.

If you want to bring in trade disputes or godawful 'romance' subplots, though, you are beyond all salvation.

I get them confused a little, but I am pretty sure it was Mask of the Pirate Queen. Bunch of guys in an isolated location. They're not exactly retired . . . they're more "going on as if the war didn't end."

Edit: The point being that "prematurely-aged clone trooper" is an acceptable character in in EotE.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Retired clone troopers show up in Rebels too.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, weren't the Clone Trooper episodes in Clone Wars like one of the better episodes in that series in comparison to the Jedi?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah most of my favorite story arcs from TCW feature various Clones as the central characters (Fives... :qq:) though not all. The Arc about a class of Younglings building their first lightsabers was pretty good*.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually I think the Trade Federation, Techno Union, Banking Clans etc would make an excellent starting point to reintegrate the Corporate Sector Authority into the new canon.

Granted I would be far more likely to play a Obi/Anakin "aggressive negotiations" character (or sweet talk, fail, shoot my way out Han) than a "Run crying to the senate" Politico in a Star Wars RPG.

* Minor TFA Spoilers from supplementary books/guides (not mentioned in the movie): Starkiller Base was apparently built using the Planet Illum, so goodbye most(?) prolific source of Kyber Crystals in the galaxy).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 1, 2016

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I think the Trade Federation, Techno Union, Banking Clans etc would make an excellent starting point to reintegrate the Corporate Sector Authority into the new canon.

I really like the idea of the corporate apparatus of the CIS becoming the CSA, while the more grass-roots stuff folds into the nascent Rebel Alliance.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a repeat topic. I'm starting a new EotE campaign and it's made me realize that I'm woefully underprepared for game that kind of requires maps. I've got plenty of fantasy miniatures, but not much in the way of Star Wars stuff. It's just the tokens from the base set and that's it.

Does anyone have any experience punching tokens out of foam board? I've got a hole punch but it won't fit foam board. I can try making tokens out of poster board, but it's a little flimsy and I'd like something with more weight and substance.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FuriousAngle posted:

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a repeat topic. I'm starting a new EotE campaign and it's made me realize that I'm woefully underprepared for game that kind of requires maps. I've got plenty of fantasy miniatures, but not much in the way of Star Wars stuff. It's just the tokens from the base set and that's it.

Does anyone have any experience punching tokens out of foam board? I've got a hole punch but it won't fit foam board. I can try making tokens out of poster board, but it's a little flimsy and I'd like something with more weight and substance.

Make tokens out of washers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This doesn't really answer your question; but if you don't feel comfortable with using maps and tokens this system does not require them. Combat range is all abstracted, and the maps/tokens that come with the Beginner Boxes are more just for visual aid rather than actual gameplay necessity.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

FuriousAngle posted:

When I started with EotE, I just cut small squares out of foamcore with an X-acto knife. It worked fine, we used a whiteboard for the terrain and the players drew faces or wrote their names on their pieces.

E: to echo jivjov's point, after our first campaign died out and the remaining players were more comfortable with the system (specifically the range bands), we kinda stopped using tokens, though the whiteboard always gets used.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 1, 2016

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Thanks everyone! I might try the square foam board and washers route. Since I'm used to GMing D&D games (and because I'm forgetful) I think I might stick with using tokens as long as I can. Square tokens will be good enough for the time being.

But if anyone else happens to know the best way to make circular tokens out of foam board I'd love to hear it!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FuriousAngle posted:

But if anyone else happens to know the best way to make circular tokens out of foam board I'd love to hear it!

If you'll be making a lot, http://smile.amazon.com/Foamwerks-Circle-Cutter-1-6-inch/dp/B005JXFOGS

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Oh that is perfect! Thanks!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Is there an fan made index anywhere of what appears in which sourcebook? Like, lets say I wanted to find Togruta stats, can I look that up somewhere?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There is!

I don't know where it is, but I've seen it before. I think I found it at something linked here before, but I don't remember what.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I asked about an index a few pages back and was linked to this. Fairly useful.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/

This mostly pertains to things that are not rules subsystems, but it's useful nonetheless.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That looks better (or at least more up to date) than the one I was thinking of: https://fanggrip.wordpress.com/2015/04/16/consolidated-index-for-ffg-star-wars-roleplaying/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Seeker book for F&D: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/7/savage-spirits/

Meh. Hope the new races are good

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I dunno, I think it sounds cool. The art continues to be really evocative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

alg posted:

Seeker book for F&D: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/7/savage-spirits/

Meh. Hope the new races are good

My work proxy blocks that link. Why meh?