Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Endless Mike posted:

(Am I the only one who got a bit annoyed by how often the movie had to tell us Poe is the greatest pilot in the Resistance?)

I can forgive a little "tell, don't show" when we then get a scene where he blows up a dozen TIEs in twenty seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked Poe, but it still felt a bit much.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Edit: nm

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 27, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

There's no reason they can't have GREATEST PILOT EVER Poe Dameron flying missions and blowing things up though.

(Am I the only one who got a bit annoyed by how often the movie had to tell us Poe is the greatest pilot in the Resistance?)

Yes, until he actually showed up and kicked TIE rear end all over the place.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yes, until he actually showed up and kicked TIE rear end all over the place.

Pretty much this. Although I think Luke and Wedge are still tough acts to follow.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Wedge is probably retired. He'd been flying since 'Fulcrum' was running the show, way before ANH.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They tried to bring the actor who plays Wedge back but he was like "gently caress off, I'm done making those stupid movies", so I guess we can just pretend he was offscreen at any given moment in the film.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The version I heard was Wedge's actor wanted more than just a bit/cameo part, he wanted to be a major character. When they said no, he asked for shittons of money, which the company said no to. Thus, no Wedge.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The version I heard was Wedge's actor wanted more than just a bit/cameo part, he wanted to be a major character. When they said no, he asked for shittons of money, which the company said no to. Thus, no Wedge.

"Greg! Buddy! Slot just opened up, get down here stat!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Same difference, really. He's not in the film for reasons that have nothing to do with the story.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
Let's face it, even if Wedge was in the film, he'd just be stood round the table like Ackbar and Nien Nunb. No wonder Denis Lawson either wanted to do more or get paid well for it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Devol_Tettran posted:

Let's face it, even if Wedge was in the film, he'd just be stood round the table like Ackbar and Nien Nunb. No wonder Denis Lawson either wanted to do more or get paid well for it.
Wedge and Poe could have had a Gimli/Legolas-esque takedown contest!

"Starkiller Base still only counts as one!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supposedly Poe was originally supposed to die so I wonder if at some point they scripted him as Wedge.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Diamond hosed up and sent out a ton of marvel stuff before the on sale date. Got my Obi+Anni slash fic a week early! :getin:

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Carteret posted:

Diamond hosed up and sent out a ton of marvel stuff before the on sale date. Got my Obi+Anni slash fic a week early! :getin:

Is it any good?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It's part 1 of 5. The art is good, and the setup is in between TPM and AotC. This one is just setup. I'm getting a weird Star Wars Steampunk vibe so far. Lots of airships!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

Same difference, really. He's not in the film for reasons that have nothing to do with the story.

I'm OK with that. I like that the majority of the cast are new characters and that the Rebellion era is semi-legendary and clouded in myth.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm OK with that. I like that the majority of the cast are new characters and that the Rebellion era is semi-legendary and clouded in myth.

So, is the First Order like North Korea or what.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So, is the First Order like North Korea or what.

Yeah, I was really unclear about that. Do these people control planets? Are they a government, or some kind of radical rogue military faction?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kellsterik posted:

Yeah, I was really unclear about that. Do these people control planets? Are they a government, or some kind of radical rogue military faction?

Seems like they're some to all of the remaining Empire, having significantly transformed in structure under their new Sith leadership. They're accepting women in their military now, and are using brainwashed humans as troops instead of clones, for reasons that aren't clear but probably have to do with practicality or effectiveness. It seems likely that's going to come back up as a Thing in later movies. It seems like the Republic, the Order, and the Rebellion/Resistance are all separate entities with their own geographic strongholds, although once again it seems like the baddies have nuked the preexisting government. It's not clear whether any of these factions have a real governance structure set up. A lot's happened over the timeskip that has never been explained.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Republic is the dominant galactic polity, having toppled the Empire in Return of the Jedi. The First Order is an armed radical movement, which seeks to overthrow the Republic government and institute a state based on their extremist ideology. They either contain holdouts from the Empire, or admire the old Empire and emulate it to portray themselves as the successors to it.

The First Order has managed to take and hold some territory inside Syria the Republic. Within these territories, Republic loyalists have organized an armed resistance movement against the Order. This movement is called the Resistance, because the good guys suck at creative branding.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Discendo Vox posted:

Seems like they're some to all of the remaining Empire, having significantly transformed in structure under their new Sith leadership. They're accepting women in their military now, and are using brainwashed humans as troops instead of clones, for reasons that aren't clear but probably have to do with practicality or effectiveness. It seems likely that's going to come back up as a Thing in later movies. It seems like the Republic, the Order, and the Rebellion/Resistance are all separate entities with their own geographic strongholds, although once again it seems like the baddies have nuked the preexisting government. It's not clear whether any of these factions have a real governance structure set up. A lot's happened over the timeskip that has never been explained.

Were the original Storm Troopers clones?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

boom boom boom posted:

Were the original Storm Troopers clones?

Yes, of Boba Fett's dad. And it was terrible.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, of Boba Fett's dad. And it was terrible.

No, I meant original Storm Troopers as in the Storm Troopers from the original trilogy, as opposed to the First Order Storm Troopers from the new movie. Not the Clone Troopers from the prequel trilogy.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ep 2-3: Clones
Ep 4-6: Recruits
Ep 7: Kidnapped children.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Are we sure about that? Ep 7 makes a big deal about the fact that non-clones are something they're doing as a tentative alternative to clones- something that's started since the rise of the Order. I think the recruits thing was based in EU stuff that's not canon anymore.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Are we sure about that? Ep 7 makes a big deal about the fact that non-clones are something they're doing as a tentative alternative to clones- something that's started since the rise of the Order. I think the recruits thing was based in EU stuff that's not canon anymore.

Rebels, which is Canon, has several story lines and plot points based on this fact. Ezra infiltrates an Imperial academy, and (old) Clone Troopers comment on how the non-clone Stormtroopers are poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Discendo Vox posted:

Sure you could say its just because they're extras, but those don't look like clones to me (though it is odd they're all holding their weapons like they're left handed). Also, the A New Dawn novel (set about 10-12 years after the Empire forms) features women storm troopers (And a woman is Captain of the Star Destroyer present in the novel), and Rebels has aliens working as Imperial Technicians and even Inquisitors, so the old EU's Sexism/Xenophobia is either gone or far less prevalent in the new canon. Star Wars Rebels also has a retired clone trooper mention hat the clone army was phased out of service only a few years into the Empire existence as the Emperor had decided they had "out served their purpose".

There are all "canon" sources for the new canon.

It makes sense really. The Clones are not a very good army from the Empire's perspective. Sure they've got the whole "Trained from birth" thing going for them, but they take 10 years to "manufacture" so you have to guess your needs years in advance. Meanwhile conscripts/recruits are much cheaper, there are plenty of warm humanoid bodies out there that can fit into that armor and be decent enough soldiers after a year or so of training. Sure they might not be as good, but the Empire needs shittons of troops to garrison most of a galaxy, not highly trained soldiers to fight a focused war against an equally militarized opponent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bluh. I believe you guys, that just makes the line about clones in the movie really weird.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, cause the Clones actually did their job well (especially the secret "butcher the Jedi" part) and Hux's and Phasma's Storm Trooper program (originally conceived by Hux's father, who was an Imperial Academy Commandant in one of the new books) are an arguably unsuccessful attempt at recreating the Clone Army.

Basically Kylo was mocking Hux's troops for being a poor emulation of Clone Troopers.

Actually though the whole reason the FO's Storm Troopers aren't clones is because Hux's dad reasoned clones are vulnerable to a tailored bioweapon, while normal soldiers would require bioweapons that kill anyone.

[edit] And you don't need to know any of this crap to get Kylo is simply just mocking Hux's troops. These two are constantly taking potshots at eachother it seems.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 31, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It is really kinda weird that they kidnap people and force them to be Stormtroopers. Wouldn't it be easier to just make clones? Just, you know, have more than one clone template.

It's also kinda hosed that Finn wasn't even ever given a name. In some ways, the First Order is even nastier than the Empire.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
What would you say Finn's age was? 20 something? Hasn't it been 20 years since the destruction of the 2nd Death Star? I would think that would be too soon for the First Order to just snap into existence the moment the Death Star was destroyed. Maybe the Empire was doing that as well based looking at how the time lines up. (unless my understanding of the time line is wrong, or I'm just looking too deep into a simple message of 'Empire = USSR' 'First Order = ISIS/Terrorism')

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comfortador posted:

What would you say Finn's age was? 20 something? Hasn't it been 20 years since the destruction of the 2nd Death Star? I would think that would be too soon for the First Order to just snap into existence the moment the Death Star was destroyed. Maybe the Empire was doing that as well based looking at how the time lines up. (unless my understanding of the time line is wrong, or I'm just looking too deep into a simple message of 'Empire = USSR' 'First Order = ISIS/Terrorism')

30ish years since Return of the Jedi. Finn is probably 20-something, yes. The First Order came out of the remaining Empire forces pretty quickly after the dissolution of the Empire.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Endless Mike posted:

30ish years since Return of the Jedi. Finn is probably 20-something, yes. The First Order came out of the remaining Empire forces pretty quickly after the dissolution of the Empire.

Okay so more time has passed than I thought. Still though, I would think the Empire didn't just dissolve the moment the 2nd Death Star blew up. Anyways, I guess my point is that the whole kidnapping thing may not have been invented/created by the First Order.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

It is really kinda weird that they kidnap people and force them to be Stormtroopers. Wouldn't it be easier to just make clones?

In the Prequels they couldn't just fire up the ol' clone vats in the basement, they had to contract the job out to a specific clone making planet. So maybe cloning technology isn't very widespread or easy to do. If you don't have the experts from the clone planet half your clones end up Cronenbergs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The first order IS supposed to be worse than the empire. They literally show you this by showing you the Death Star (the sum power of the empire) and then showing you Starkiller base which is waaaaay bigger

Everything is bigger, badder and straight up nastier!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Comfortador posted:

Okay so more time has passed than I thought. Still though, I would think the Empire didn't just dissolve the moment the 2nd Death Star blew up. Anyways, I guess my point is that the whole kidnapping thing may not have been invented/created by the First Order.

Actually Hux's dad had the initial idea for it way back before A New Hope, going by some of the tie-in books to Rebels that have been published. I guess the First Order coming to power gave him the chance to put the ideas into practice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

boom boom boom posted:

In the Prequels they couldn't just fire up the ol' clone vats in the basement, they had to contract the job out to a specific clone making planet. So maybe cloning technology isn't very widespread or easy to do. If you don't have the experts from the clone planet half your clones end up Cronenbergs.

You mean, Clonenbergs. :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Starkiller Base seemed like a space V-3 cannon to me, it was definitely bigger and badder than the Death Star but a planet doesn't exactly have a particularly rapid target acquisition phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has anyone read the Obi-Wan and Anakin book yet? One issue and it's already done more to establish Anakin's fall than the prequels.