Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neowyrm posted:

"I will finish........

......what you [Neowyrm] started"

Nothing will stand in our way of bad puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And his favorite classical composer?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Maxwell Lord posted:

And his favorite classical composer?

Rossini?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think if Rey has no connection to the Skywalkers her story in this movie doesn't make as much sense. Why would the Force be so aggressively trying to awaken her to her destiny if she's just some random person? Just being strong with the Force shouldn't be enough to prompt Obi-Wan to speak to her through the Force, Anakin's lightsaber to call out to her, and for her to dream about the First Jedi Temple frequently. There were tons of Jedi in the prequels but I don't think any of them would have the experience she had with zero training, save perhaps for Anakin. Even if she's not related to them, there's gotta be something special to her background, otherwise she'd have a last name and we'd know who her parents were and why she was left on Jakku already.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Puccini

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
She's going to be Lando's illegitimate daughter

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Neurolimal posted:

She's going to be Lando's illegitimate daughter

What if she is actually just Luke's adopted daughter? Would this satisfy the Skywalker fanatics?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Wookie Bouquet posted:

What if she is actually just Luke's adopted clone daughter?

There was no mother, she's a gender-swapped Luuke.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015
I watched this move again today, with a much more critical mindset:
The scene where rey and ren are separated by the chasm....this is going to be a hugely significant scene in later movies. It reeks of symbolism.
General Hux. I hate this character. He's a snarky, overly cocky little bitch. Seriously, this is the leader of the First Order's military? WTF
Rey has to be a skywalker. Way too much points to this. I think the question is whether or not she is Luke's or Leia's. (Or both...but, ya know, disney).
The resistance is there to fight evil. Maz is clear about this, that the current major evil is the First Order and Snoke.
Snoke is an interesting guy. He seems really, really old, and beat to poo poo. Yoda's line "when 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not" comes to mind.
Also..."there is another skywalker"
What if Obi-Wan "lied" again. What if the other skywallker was not Leia, but Rey (who probably came from Leia).
Also, there is an awkward amount of man-crushing between Poe and Finn. I'm not against man crushing, but its the only relationship that seems forced.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Teek posted:

Yet another miracle birth thanks to midiclorians or whatever spawned Anakin?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Teek posted:

When people complain she's a "Mary Sue", I jokingly suggested that she's a Luke clone because all the 'evidence' for it appears similar to what Luke did in the OT.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

When people complain she's a "Mary Sue", I jokingly suggested that she's a Luke clone because all the 'evidence' for it appears similar to what Luke did in the OT.

I do think that in some ways she comes across as a bit more so than Luke, but not extremely so. I think the semi-inherentence of the Falcon didn't help since it kinda makes her Han-Luke compared to Poe being Wedge and Finn being Han but with a less broad skillset.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Wookie Bouquet posted:

What if she is actually just Luke's adopted daughter? Would this satisfy the Skywalker fanatics?

I think that would be alright? If the movies do go in the direction of "Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers," it would be neat if they also said "family doesn't have to just be by blood."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PunkBoy posted:

I think that would be alright? If the movies do go in the direction of "Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers," it would be neat if they also said "family doesn't have to just be by blood."

It also retroactively solidifies the OT as a strictly family affair, since Palpatine would justifiably be Luke's (metaphorical) grandfather.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Gorelab posted:

I do think that in some ways she comes across as a bit more so than Luke, but not extremely so. I think the semi-inherentence of the Falcon didn't help since it kinda makes her Han-Luke compared to Poe being Wedge and Finn being Han but with a less broad skillset.

I was completely on the side of her being a Mary Sue until watching it again. But I think it comes off to me more as she is just so constantly driven. She is obviously very smart, she has proven that she can survive as an attractive girl on a deserted planet, she just seems to always need to be moving or doing something. She is laser focused on what she wants and on making herself better. She refuses to give up. This reminds me a lot of Padme (TPM Padme, not married Padme).

She instinctively gets all machinery. If that isn't textbook Anakin, I don't know what is. And the pilot skills? Same thing.

Rey is my favorite character. That may be tempering this a bit, but I think this movie is100% about her. It's got some great secondary storylines, but it's all about Rey. That's why the politics don't matter, and Kylo Ren could be a little bitch. Because the next movie is going to be about them preparing to face each other. And maybe a little "No, I am your father" thrown in there somewhere, from someone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solfrann posted:

She instinctively gets all machinery.

I don't think she does. The only machine she seems to get right away the Falcon which she has explicitly been on and worked on before. Otherwise she's good with machines but that is how she has to be to survive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Plus the way she says "it's garbage!" at first makes me think she's taken a look at it before, if only to say "Wow, an old YT-1300, looks like it's falling apart."

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Solfrann posted:

I was completely on the side of her being a Mary Sue until watching it again. But I think it comes off to me more as she is just so constantly driven. She is obviously very smart, she has proven that she can survive as an attractive girl on a deserted planet, she just seems to always need to be moving or doing something. She is laser focused on what she wants and on making herself better. She refuses to give up. This reminds me a lot of Padme (TPM Padme, not married Padme).

She instinctively gets all machinery. If that isn't textbook Anakin, I don't know what is. And the pilot skills? Same thing.

Rey is my favorite character. That may be tempering this a bit, but I think this movie is100% about her. It's got some great secondary storylines, but it's all about Rey. That's why the politics don't matter, and Kylo Ren could be a little bitch. Because the next movie is going to be about them preparing to face each other. And maybe a little "No, I am your father" thrown in there somewhere, from someone.

Honestly I felt that Finn was more interesting, and in general and I think The Force Awakens was largely his movie as well as Rey. In a large part, while Rey's role in the large series is that of Luke, I think he stole some of the role of Luke in ANH along with Poe, with Finn getting the growth from someone who wasn't all that heroic into a brave, if not fully capable hero. I still really wonder what they plan to do with him too, because it felt a lot more open ended that Rey's bit.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So, implicitly, the prequels 'fill in the gap' between Episode 6 and 7 and loosely explain what went wrong. But also, implicitly, we're to ignore what the prequels actually said about Vader as revolutionary - that Luke ultimately failed and had to be rescued. Everyone is now searching for Luke, and we're expected to care, but Luke was just some guy.

You're missing the significance of the big reveal at the end. Luke Skywalker is no longer Luke Skywalker; when he pulls back that hood he reveals the ravaged visage of Slavoj Žižek and the despair in his eyes is because he has seen the galaxy once more plunged into Ideology.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Gorelab posted:

Honestly I felt that Finn was more interesting, and in general and I think The Force Awakens was largely his movie as well as Rey. In a large part, while Rey's role in the large series is that of Luke, I think he stole some of the role of Luke in ANH along with Poe, with Finn getting the growth from someone who wasn't all that heroic into a brave, if not fully capable hero. I still really wonder what they plan to do with him too, because it felt a lot more open ended that Rey's bit.

Finn definitely steals the show at times. The contrast between him and Rey makes their relationship believable. They have so much in common but are so very different.

Poe I have no read on yet. He's too purely flyboy/fratboy for me for now. I'm reserving judgement until his story develops more.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finn has fantastic chemistry with Poe but then again Finn has fantastic chemistry with everyone. I also like Poe a lot but understood why he needed to fake die for half the movie in order to give Finn his own independence and make room for some of the other characters. I wish that didn't come at the cost of him missing some characterization of his own.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Solfrann posted:

I was completely on the side of her being a Mary Sue until watching it again. But I think it comes off to me more as she is just so constantly driven.

Everything about her is driven because of the lifestyle she was thrust into as a child. It's arguable (heavily) that nothing came to her instinctively and that she became proficient at the things she does in the film because of the upbringing, or lack thereof, that she had to endure. Compare that to Luke, a farmer living a relatively comfortable life, who manages to infiltrate a space fortress and rescue a princess.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 31, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rey has talent, she has the drive...she just lacks the ability to escape. She's dope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Rey has talent, she has the drive...she just lacks the ability to escape. She's dope.

She lacks that ability only because Kylo Ren is such a good villain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She's stuck on a lovely planet and she's poor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus the way she says "it's garbage!" at first makes me think she's taken a look at it before, if only to say "Wow, an old YT-1300, looks like it's falling apart."

She did work on it before. She knew the interior and pointed Finn around right away and had detailed knowledge of the alterations made to it and had even told Simon Pegg that it was a bad idea.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I still wonder what the heck Abrams was going for with the scene where Finn sees the Starkiller. I don't think Abrams is really subtle enough for it to be a hint to Finn having any sort of force power, but at the same time the screams are really ethereal and there are explosions which is kinda odd.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought the screams were from other people on whatever planet Finn was on. Like people looking up before him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

She had good reason to stay :colbert:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Solfrann posted:

Also, there is an awkward amount of man-crushing between Poe and Finn. I'm not against man crushing, but its the only relationship that seems forced.

What is awkward about two guys bonding over a close shave with death and then having a hug? :confused:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

The film stresses that Rey is impoverished by choice. She can leave the planet at any point, and is hypercompetent at like five different skills.

The presence of the mean junk dealer is deceptive; Rey and the other characters do absolutely nothing to fight poverty, or even oppose poverty. Rey is only fighting for 'belonging', which she clearly defines as finding the right employer - moving through 4-5 fathers/employers over the course of the film before settling on Luke.

The message is 'bootstraps'.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

She's got the tools; she's got the talent!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

She's got the tools; she's got the talent!

Hell yeah!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

It's Miller Time!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
When Rey is called 'scavenger scum', her response is effectively "I'm not scum like them."

The other scavengers swarm like rats, steal, enslave, etc. They have absolutely no redeeming qualities, and Rey's goal is to escape them. They have no special powers, and (consequently) they belong where they are.

The bombing of their village has even less impact than the planet explosion scene(s).

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 31, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lucas called Disney 'white slavers' lmao http://deadline.com/2015/12/george-lucas-white-slavers-disney-charlie-rose-interview-1201674262/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So this might or might not be interesting. Haven't gotten much sleep the last couple of nights, and my friends wanted to see TFA, so I watched it a second time last night. I was so exhausted that I almost slept through some parts. But hell if I didn't ignore that and immediately perk up every time Kylo Ren was on the screen. Kylo Ren: a cinematic upper.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

What is joke???

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

What is joke???

Well I did laugh, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Lucas does strike me as the kinda guy who'd distinguish between "normal" slavery and white slavery

• Locked thread