Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DigitalRaven posted:

Scarecrow finds Death and gives him the closest thing to Judge Death's uniform he can find.

It's the chicken nailed to the shoulder that raises this from great to magnificent.

And yes, Mega City One is surely the worst place in the history of infinite Earths. Aliens, Predators, indestructible ghouls, the Joker...it's suffered them all and each time its best hope lies in a fascist pushing 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

It's the chicken nailed to the shoulder that raises this from great to magnificent.

Of course, Death instantly turns on Scarecrow who resorts to his fear gas.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's hard to argue anything in Iredeemaable is really badass, but I found this amusing.

Plutonium is a hero gone bad and showed up in a location with a bunch of villians. One of the villains decides to take a shot at Plutonium.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ragnarok Vol 1.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That is pretty badass.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Reminds me a lot of Michael Moorcock's writing, I like it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Ragnarok Vol 1.

Who would've guessed that Walt Simonson could handle writing a comic about Thor?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

And yes, Mega City One is surely the worst place in the history of infinite Earths. Aliens, Predators, indestructible ghouls, the Joker...it's suffered them all and each time its best hope lies in a fascist pushing 70.

If I could find Death's musical number, I'd post that entire drat sequence both here and in funny panels.

To be fair, "hope" isn't really something Mega-City One's been big on. They have revenge, dressed up by fascists in the terms of "justice". It's why Dredd is a protagonist, not a hero.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

goatface posted:

Dredd crosses over with loads of stuff. Most of it doesn't even seem particularly out of place.
Dredd also have a minor crossover with other 2000 AD comic Nemesis the Warlock (a Dredd villain, Satanus, becomes Nemesis' kid's pet). Proving that as bad as Mega City One is it's only going to get worse in the future.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
The second time Johnny Alpha and Judge Dredd met was to combat a time traveling Necromagus who was intent on turning the entire planet into zombies.

After defeating the villain our heroes found themselves stranded in one of the setting's many hell holes and had a long walk home.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

goatface posted:

Dredd crosses over with loads of stuff. Most of it doesn't even seem particularly out of place.

Many years ago I went to a UK music festival where there were vendors handing out these free 2000AD posters with a one-shot crossover on the back. I still have my badly damaged copy somewhere and it brings joy to my heart to now find that the Dark Judges being defeated by indie-wimps Placebo and the power of rock and roll is actually canon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
Bread Liar

DigitalRaven posted:

If I could find Death's musical number, I'd post that entire drat sequence both here and in funny panels.

To be fair, "hope" isn't really something Mega-City One's been big on. They have revenge, dressed up by fascists in the terms of "justice". It's why Dredd is a protagonist, not a hero.

One of my favourite Dredd progs was just a dozen or so pages revolving around an apparent accident at a heart clinic which releases a plume of incredibly deadly curare and kills something like 3000 people. I don't know if it's okay to post a full prog, no matter how short, but it really cements just what Dredd is.

Brutal, heartless, the law above all. Even life.

Or, to quote one of his old enemies - "There ain't no justice. Just us."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is the one.

Judges can summarily execute people.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the problem?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's interesting to note that no Judge applied the death sentence in early progs for quite a long time, except during Judge Cal's tenure. People did die at Dredd's hand, but it was usually in self defense. The tone of the satire shifted considerably since the start of the series.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What's a "prog"?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

What's a "prog"?

Issues of 2000AD were originally "programmes", shortened to "prog".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
Bread Liar

WickedHate posted:

What's the problem?

He was lying in a hospital bed with severe injuries. Was unarmed and no further threat to anyone. Couldn't even talk.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

What's the problem?

You would ask that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chaos Hippy posted:

You would ask that.

I wouldn't have approved, but I would have understood if Daredevil had blown Bullseye's brains out when he had the chance.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

He was lying in a hospital bed with severe injuries. Was unarmed and no further threat to anyone. Couldn't even talk.

:shrug:

prefect posted:

I wouldn't have approved, but I would have understood if Daredevil had blown Bullseye's brains out when he had the chance.

Christ, that issue is kind of creepy. Everything about the atmosphere is so amazingly well illustrated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Chaos Hippy posted:

You would ask that.
You can't really tell all that from the two panels posted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Eh, only because comic books dictate he'll make a miraculous recovery at some point. In real life the problem would be permanently solved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, only because comic books dictate he'll make a miraculous recovery at some point. In real life the problem would be permanently solved.

Also if you kill him he'll be revived by the Hand or break out of hell or something.

The "maybe I should kill him?!" thing in comics is so fuckin' dumb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

Also if you kill him he'll be revived by the Hand

That is what happened when he did kill him

Also if you read the issue its more Daredevil loving with Bullseye and using him to deal with some guilt. Such a great issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Midnighter #8
Freedom Beast (old Animal Man character) has had his power to combine animals stolen by an organization to make monsters for game hunters.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Ghost Racers #2

The plot is tissue thin, and is a thin veneer of justification for the creative team of Felipe Smith and Francesco Francavilla being bonkers.

Is a ghost riding a chainsaw with the phrase "Viro Mutilator" daubed on it (presumably in blood) riding in an arena of death badass or funny?

Also everything is on fire. You should probably just roll with it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Milotic posted:

Ghost Racers #2

The plot is tissue thin, and is a thin veneer of justification for the creative team of Felipe Smith and Francesco Francavilla being bonkers.

Is a ghost riding a chainsaw with the phrase "Viro Mutilator" daubed on it (presumably in blood) riding in an arena of death badass or funny?

Also everything is on fire. You should probably just roll with it.

So the people who made that do heavy metal album covers in their spare time, or just wrote for Brûtal Legend?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

evilmiera posted:

So the people who made that do heavy metal album covers in their spare time, or just wrote for Brûtal Legend?

They were writing the various Spirits of Vengeance, including Vengeance himself, who I was happy to see out of Hell. There's no way for that to NOT be metal as gently caress. For the life of me, though, I can't place Mr. Electric Chainsaw Ghost Rider.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Weirdworld #2.
Becca's trapped on Weirdworld and has lied herself into a job as squire to Goleta the Wizard Slayer.

Also her poleaxe has a giant G on the end. :3:

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Is midnighter a parody character or something? Every single set of panels I've seen of him involve him explaining his overpowered bullshit and then predictably using his overpowered bullshit to beat some regular dude with a gun. It's like someone making fun of how boring batman's become.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's kinda how Ellis designed him to be. And Apollo is totally supposed to be Superman. All of Authority was overpowered "heroes" taking on ever bigger challenges, eventually killing God. Like, literally.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even in Ellis's very first issue of The Authority it's not clear if the Midnighter is being played straight (pun) or not, since the rest of the team is played almost completely straight.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Midnighter's powers are an Ultimate style "justification" for Batman's over the top abilities.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think it's an intentionally over the top badass for badass sake comic. It's not necessarily a parody, but it's pretty tongue in cheek.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I think it's an intentionally over the top badass for badass sake comic. It's not necessarily a parody, but it's pretty tongue in cheek.
It's over the top...played straight. It just works.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I just realised that last scene is this close to being something out of a modern Stardust the Super Wizard which makes me like it slightly more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I would high recommend this stand alone issue if you want to see a really great Midnighter story that shows what the character can be. Written by BKV, so it can't be all bad!

Midnighter (2006-2008) #7: http://www.comixology.com/Midnighter-2006-2008-7/digital-comic/228340

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was just about to mention that issue. It was really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just love the WIZ KILLA licence plate :3: