Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I dropped £10 for a boar's head because mechs are cheap are MC is extra and don't regret it. Fists of God build is excellent fun.

The face that PGI extended their sale implies they're appreciating how much their whale gouging locks them out of monetising their base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
six mech bays left to fill: thinking about mastering quickdraws and battlemasters but i'm open to suggestions on an IS assault to master.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So is the spectator mode sometimes unreliable with its accuracy of what the pilot actually sees, or are pubbies just THAT bad at aiming stuff? I feel like half the time I spectate someone and they get into a knife fight with an enemy mech, that constantly shoot where the mech is standing and never where the mech is going to be, even after they clearly see that their shots aren't landing.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Spectator mode makes me sad because I get to see all the assault mechs that loaded up on lots of LRMs :(.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Astroniomix posted:

I will revise my previous statements and say that a STD 325 is the way to go, the speed loss hurts, but you can still at least track moving targets and the surivability will probably come in handy one day when I lose a side torso but still have ammo left. (but holy gently caress 9 tons doesn't last long at all)

3 tons of ammo per ballistic is generally the way to go otherwise you'll run dry. Some exceptions exist obviously but I stick to the 3:1 ratio.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I have 13.5 tons of UAC5 ammo in my crab and I still run out fairly often.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

It turns out it is theoretically possible to fit 4 UAC20s on a Dire Wolf: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=173&l=18f64564fe6a08cd837264b7d4d147040a2d8a68

Tell me why I should not do this for my next mech purchase before it's too late.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Aesculus posted:

It turns out it is theoretically possible to fit 4 UAC20s on a Dire Wolf: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=173&l=18f64564fe6a08cd837264b7d4d147040a2d8a68

Tell me why I should not do this for my next mech purchase before it's too late.

Double tapping a single UAC 20 will trigger ghost heat. Firing four at once even without double taps will kill you. It will be funny once and cost you 20m plus.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So am I running my King Crab wrong then? I have an xl in it, 4 ac/5 and 2 LL. I seem to get 500 damage on average with it. Which I guess isn't too bad? Not great, but ok?

I'm not a guru at placing bits and bobs on my mechs, so I tend to research on other sites and forums and go from there. What other configs for a KGC-0000B should I perhaps look into? Figured I'd ask for more advice so I'm not some sort of megabaddy

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Stringbean posted:

So am I running my King Crab wrong then? I have an xl in it, 4 ac/5 and 2 LL. I seem to get 500 damage on average with it. Which I guess isn't too bad? Not great, but ok?

I'm not a guru at placing bits and bobs on my mechs, so I tend to research on other sites and forums and go from there. What other configs for a KGC-0000B should I perhaps look into? Figured I'd ask for more advice so I'm not some sort of megabaddy

Yes. Kill the lasers. More ammo. And screw the no-xl-in-a-kc cowards, they wouldn't die if they weren't so bad. :v:

As long as you understand that a KC is not an Atlas, and play it like a walking turret instead of a jihadist, you'll be fine. Friggin', god drat sissies.

And number19- Attempting to get Anders in last night was the worst experience anyone can have in MW:O and pointed out just how loving un-finished/half-assed the CW implementation is.

It's already a loving joke in gameplay/carrot/reward terms, but to have it fail so terribly technicaly... What the christ. Please pass on to whoever (:iiam:) designed CW on a cocaine-soaked* cocktail napkin that nepotism will only carry them so far in their career.

Getting Anders to log in is, at best, an annual event. This only proved that anyone giving :pgi: any money are completely loving retarded bads. :saddowns:

* Yeah, "soaked". They did that wrong too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:allears: what went wrong with anders.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

armchairyoda posted:

Please pass on to whoever (:iiam:) designed CW on a cocaine-soaked* cocktail napkin that nepotism will only carry them so far in their career.

I don't know, but the kind of person who made CW is obviously a sadistic piece of poo poo so if you ask me they've already gotten to exactly where they want to be in life: wasting the free time of thousands of people around the world on a daily basis while living in one of the most expensive cities of North America.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drone posted:

So is the spectator mode sometimes unreliable with its accuracy of what the pilot actually sees, or are pubbies just THAT bad at aiming stuff? I feel like half the time I spectate someone and they get into a knife fight with an enemy mech, that constantly shoot where the mech is standing and never where the mech is going to be, even after they clearly see that their shots aren't landing.

I'm pretty sure the red flash of the reticle is client side, so they CANT see that their shots are missing.

Aesculus posted:

The ghost heat is murder on you. It's almost as bad as firing 11 ERPPCs at once.

LB20X ACs do not trigger ghost heat. Try boating those with a mix of AC/10s

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 31, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
quote is not edit

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I'm pretty sure the red flash of the reticle is client side, so they CANT see that their shots are missing.

The ghost heat is murder on you. It's almost as bad as firing 11 ERPPCs at once.

LB20X ACs do not trigger ghost heat. Try boating those with a mix of AC/10s

While this is hilarious I doubt the effectiveness of Lbx20s at any range above 5 metres. An exploding cone of shrapnel emerging from the front of your direwolf though as it overheats would however be pretty good.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
on king crab xl's, i only really run them in dual gauss + 3 large lasers. Its super easy to spot the xl builds in the wild, and i yell out KC the moment i see em

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

armchairyoda posted:

Yes. Kill the lasers. More ammo. And screw the no-xl-in-a-kc cowards, they wouldn't die if they weren't so bad. :v:

As long as you understand that a KC is not an Atlas, and play it like a walking turret instead of a jihadist, you'll be fine. Friggin', god drat sissies.

I've just been poking my arms out from behind walls and shooting dudes that way.

But why no lasers? I have enough ammo as is and the lasers are a great way to supplement fire when my arms get torn off (rarely ever).

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

Also they may not be missing on their end. You probably don't see their HSR when you spectate.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Stringbean posted:

I've just been poking my arms out from behind walls and shooting dudes that way.

But why no lasers? I have enough ammo as is and the lasers are a great way to supplement fire when my arms get torn off (rarely ever).

Because with no lasers, you never need to stop shooting. You are effectively heat neutral, even on the Mordor map. COMMIT TO THE GIMMICK MOTHERFUCKER.

KGC-000B

ImpactVector posted:

Also they may not be missing on their end. You probably don't see their HSR when you spectate.

This is true.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

While this is hilarious I doubt the effectiveness of Lbx20s at any range above 5 metres. An exploding cone of shrapnel emerging from the front of your direwolf though as it overheats would however be pretty good.

It's a pretty devastating splash of damage out to about 350 meters. Combine 2 UAC/10s with 2 LB-20Xs and I'm pretty sure you could brawl with any mech in the game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Beet Wagon posted:

This might come as a surprise, but some of the heroes are good and many others are garbage.

If you have the loot, go for the Mastery Packs.

If you just want a hero, these are varying levels of good/okay:

Misery
Sparky
Firebrand
Ilya
X5

e: also, I forgot. I'm 'nerfgun' in game if anybody ever wants to group up. I'm not WoL but I'm kind of an okay guy anyway.

Not the jester?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Not the jester?

The Jester is gimmicky fun, but not really great. I've enjoyed mine but I can do more good in a Crab, the Catapult just brings some more armor and jumpjets to the proceedings. In fact, there is probably no reason to pick the Jester when the Sparky exists, I just like Catapults and already had Sparky so.

Gonna try again with this question: does solo pub queue still assemble teams by class only, or does it try to balance weight now so that 65 ton heavies and 45 ton mediums aren't as penalized?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

A.o.D. posted:

It's a pretty devastating splash of damage out to about 350 meters. Combine 2 UAC/10s with 2 LB-20Xs and I'm pretty sure you could brawl with any mech in the game.

Ian going to try this and report how badly I die. It will be more a reflection of me rather than the build though

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Why the X5 over a pirate's bane?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why the X5 over a pirate's bane?

I own a pirate's bane and while funny to take out, it's a pretty bad robot. The X5 is effectively a bigger, better pirate's bane

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Are any of the lights worth it?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Oxide is apparently p. good now that SRMs have been buffed

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Arctic Cheetah, and Firestarterare the best light mechs. The jenners (clams and IS), and raven are all very good light robutts. Others can be made to work.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
I've been having decent luck with a 4mpl/2mg Ember in solo drop t4, but it really is a step down from the other two good Firestarters I have (the mpl and spl quirked ones).

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

The Oxide is apparently p. good now that SRMs have been buffed

It looks decent

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

What about the Anansi Spider?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So I finally tried using the Wolfhound, after wrapping up the torture of the Panthers. I think I like this 'mech, is this what it feels like to use a Firestarter? Just stuck an XL250 and 6 MPLs and devoured a bunch of assaults and heavies. Got too greedy at the end and overheated to kill a Marauder, which led to my leg being shot off. Still stole one more kill before going down.

Also in the interest of dragging down my tier rating and fueling my bad robot fetish:
:getin:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

What about the Anansi Spider?

like all Spiders it is fun to zoom around in but has like zero damage potential

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

like all Spiders it is fun to zoom around in but has like zero damage potential

How about a Firestarter FS9-S? I think I can shove 5 medium pulse lasers on that loving thing

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

ZenVulgarity posted:

How about a Firestarter FS9-S? I think I can shove 5 medium pulse lasers on that loving thing
That's the build yeah. It's fun. Don't buy it with MC though.

Alternately you can fit 8 small pulse into the -A. You core out so many butts if you're at all sneaky, at least in the lower tiers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

something like this, while not the murder machine it used to be due to quirk nerfs, is still a dangerous and good robot

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=138&l=bf0644073d9b9528dd41c9d897161afac1399b07

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Should I even look at metamechs at all for opinions on things

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you dig lights you may want to look at the Radar Deprivation module. Instantly losing locks the moment you break line of sight is really useful.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

ZenVulgarity posted:

Should I even look at metamechs at all for opinions on things

Their tier list has gotten me some good damage numbers. They weren't that much fun though, it seems to largely be lasers, lasers , lasers in the top tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
since there seems to be discussion on hero mechs with the sale ending and all, i thought i'd quickly chime in seeing as i own way too many

the huggin is still plenty good but has been outclassed by the oxide. i'd take a pirate bane over the ember, which has been completely sidelined post quirks and mg nerf and the death's knell could seriously use more arm armor.

the sparky is basically a much better quickdraw-5k. the arrow can boat large lasers quite well and also shreds with 2lpl/6mgs. buying an x5 is mandatory if you're a persian and despite having become quite good with the recent changes, the 2b is still better. i wish i could still recommend the grid iron

jesters are one of the best laser boats around with hardpoints that shoot over everything. the firebrand offers a lot of utility but doesn't excel at a single thing. the ilya only becomes a good mech when it is built around an xl340. the iv-four is arguably one of the worst mechs in the game but could become quite serviceable if the resealing also fixes the quickdraw's low slung arms. the flame is still god tier though you're probably some sort of philistine and wouldn't understand.

imo, the sparky and jester are the two best hero mechs with an oxide and arrow coming in at a close second. i value speed and torso twisting abilities above all else.

teepo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 31, 2015

• Locked thread