Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

boom boom boom posted:

Phasma just going "ok, you got me. I'll shut down the thing. Grr" was really stupid

I'm fairly sure that scene was a later addition because originally the Resistance was going to wreck the shield with their own superweapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cthulu Carl posted:

I still feel like the twi'lek are my favorite in terms of dumb, hosed up poo poo.

"Our homework is a literal shitholes fellow twi'leks. How should we fix it?"

"Um... gently caress, I dunno, let's just sell our strangely-universally-regarded-as-bangin' women into slavery. Surely they'll have better lives and not be forced to engage in sexual acts with horrible people!"

Edit: Also I guess they used slavery as an alternative to developing a space program.

That got mostly scrubbed in the Clone Wars cartoon

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

It did? Maybe I should try paying attention in stead of zoning out to pew-pews and... Whatever a good onomatopoeia for lightsabers is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TK-42-1 posted:

Rey's not a Mary Sue because she was trained in all this poo poo before with her dad. When Kylo slaughtered everyone he spared Rey and mind wiped her. Then he stuck her in shithole Jakku and implanted the fear of leaving to keep her there. Kind of like what happened with Revan.

If this isn't true ill eat my own balls.

That's stupid. I hope you have to eat your balls

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Booblord Zagats posted:

Good.

I haven't seen the Clone Wars, but I really like Rebels and that has a strong female Twi'lek character so I'm happy it's not isolated.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE PWNER posted:

It's not EU, buddy. It's official canon. Mace Windu is a Korun.

prequels aren't canon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fojar38 posted:

aside from the mind trick what new skills does rey pick up since she was established to have some skills beforehand (fighting, ship stuff)

all i can think of is piloting which seems par for the course considering her lineage

I was a little put off as to how quickly she picked up using a blaster. I think it only took two shots to hit a storm trooper from pretty far away.

Also, who was the old guy Rey talked to at the beginning who got killed? The guy in the tent who said he always thought of Leia as royalty? I figured he was an OT character, but I didn't hear a name.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Who loving cares if Rey is a Mary Sue or not we have some more important poo poo to deal with.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Who loving cares if Rey is a Mary Sue or not we have some more important poo poo to deal with.

The one on the right, obviously.

what a stupid thing to ask.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

This is from the wookiepedia article on Caaninites.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That picture went viral amongst the Death Star crew, the two stormtroopers near the tractor beam controls were looking at it and that's how Obi Wan got past them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

George Lucas hates the new Star Wars movie, because of course he does.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/m...icle-click&_r=0

Bonus points: Still aloof and hilariously disconnected from why people actually liked the original movies. Maybe more disconnected than ever.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So, no where in this 4 billion dollar deal was there an agreement for Lucas to not talk shot about the new movies?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just can't grasp his complaints about a focus on spaceships over family when one of the major complaints about the prequels is how empty the characters are and how much of the runtime is filled with mindless action.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Rad Lieutenant posted:

So, no where in this 4 billion dollar deal was there an agreement for Lucas to not talk shot about the new movies?

Honestly him talking poo poo about the new movies might actually be a PLUS, Lucas lost pretty much any support of the fans after the prequel trilogy. I'm pretty sure everyone's happy he's nowhere near Star Wars anymore and that if Lucas doesn't like it, then it must be doing something right

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Littlefinger?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Bran? Jon Snow? Ramsay Bolton (well he's not likable but he's been getting away with everything so far)?

Which character has a super tragic past involving sexual violence (ok i admit not that uncommon in GoT), is the most attractive women ever, is loved by everyone she meets, has special powers nobody else has, and whos only problems come from being too caring or too nice or too understanding. Shes also the chosen one, destined to be the perfect counter measure to the looming threat, even though she doesnt know it yet!
She gets bonus points for having modern day morals to make her look even perfecter.
Also shes author fap material.
Edit- oh forgot to add that every time she is in minor peril shes saved by dues ex machina.

Content-

I really we get more TR-8R's or they flesh out the whole Finn's past thing.

I mean sure its star wars and again im not looking for complex writing here but he was in the new order for 20+ years and its not like they kept them locked in a crate off duty. He had to have some friends or people who grew to care for him.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Double Monocle posted:

Content-

I really we get more TR-8R's or they flesh out the whole Finn's past thing.

I mean sure its star wars and again im not looking for complex writing here but he was in the new order for 20+ years and its not like they kept them locked in a crate off duty. He had to have some friends or people who grew to care for him.

People are already speculating TR-8R is one of Finn's old squadmates. Which makes sense because otherwise why did this trooper have such a hard-on for going after Finn instead of just shooting him.

Or maybe Finn has IFF implants that tagged him in trooper vision. Or maybe dude just got his baton and was super stoked and, oh my what's this? A black man? :cop:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

People are already speculating TR-8R is one of Finn's old squadmates. Which makes sense because otherwise why did this trooper have such a hard-on for going after Finn instead of just shooting him.

Or maybe Finn has IFF implants that tagged him in trooper vision. Or maybe dude just got his baton and was super stoked and, oh my what's this? A black man? :cop:

No no no no, please don't ruin one of the few good things about TFA.

There is no reason to flesh out Traitor Troopers past.

Guy hates traitors and that is that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The only storm trooper past we need flesh out is Daniel Craig trooper, because he needs to be the Johnny of the series and cameos in each movie as a guard who gets trick in letting the prisoner loose.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I prefer to think that Finn is the first person to ever defect from the First Order and within a day of going awol his face is plastered all over the interior of every star destroyer with "TRAITOR" in big red angry aurbbabruesh writing

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

EU thing: when I was a kid we had the first version of star wars monopoly they put out and Mayfair was Coruscant. The picture on its space was of a sagrada familia looking castle on top of an orange dusty hill. What was up with that?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Snatch Duster posted:

He pretty much had to be one of Finn's squadmates, or else how did he know this guy out-of-uniform was a traitor? I don't think it would count as betrayal if he hadn't previously been part of the First Order.

Edit: ^^ Okay, your "wanted poster" idea is also a possibility.

Lucas actually referred to Disney as "white slavers." The hell? The term "white slavery" is ridiculously offensive, because it implies that enslaving white people is really bad, whereas other types of slavery are just accepted.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I mean, yeah, it's true that big money has pretty much killed all creativity in Hollywood movies but Lucas saying it is peak irony :ironicat:

I'm not gonna lie, I really kind of want to see George's story outline that Disney said "gently caress no" to and threw in the trash as it's probably batshit insane.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Jurgan posted:

He pretty much had to be one of Finn's squadmates, or else how did he know this guy out-of-uniform was a traitor? I don't think it would count as betrayal if he hadn't previously been part of the First Order.

Lucas actually referred to Disney as "white slavers." The hell? The term "white slavery" is ridiculously offensive, because it implies that enslaving white people is really bad, whereas other types of slavery are just accepted.

Didn't he say it was like selling his kids into white slavery?

First time I've ever been in favor of slavery. George, please literally sell your children into white slavery. Maybe we can fix climate change and get sensible campaign finance reform.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

sinking belle posted:

EU thing: when I was a kid we had the first version of star wars monopoly they put out and Mayfair was Coruscant. The picture on its space was of a sagrada familia looking castle on top of an orange dusty hill. What was up with that?

In the early EU the geography of Coruscant wasn't well established. It had an ocean in one of the novels (Black Fleet Crisis series I think?).

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Snatch Duster posted:

He's actually been fleshed out already I think. I definitely read an article on Wookieepedia about Finn's old squad, and they gave personalities and names to his comrades. I think there's a prequel comic or something in the works or maybe out already.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There is apparently a book about Finn's stormtrooper training, it's basically the first half of the Starship Troopers movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uh didn't he die.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I really kind of want to see George's story outline that Disney said "gently caress no" to and threw in the trash as it's probably batshit insane.

i really wanna read it because the original treatment for Star Wars was ungodly terrible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

uh didn't he die.

i really wanna read it because the original treatment for Star Wars was ungodly terrible.

I am repeating what I remember of an imgur or reddit post. TR-8R is not identified as one of Finn's training squaddies, but the guy who wiped his blood on his helmet was, providing slightly more context to that. We're not far away now from getting a completely bad and unnecessary book or comic about TR-8R. It's important to remember that Disney is going to continue building its own EU.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Jurgan posted:

Are you inferring that Lucas might say or do things that are racist? Next thing you'll tell me is that JarJar, the Neimoidians, Watto are racist caricatures.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Didn't he say it was like selling his kids into white slavery?

First time I've ever been in favor of slavery. George, please literally sell your children into white slavery. Maybe we can fix climate change and get sensible campaign finance reform.
One of George Lucas' daughters is black :yikes:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lucas thinks the people he willingly sold Star Wars to for 4 billion dollars are "white slavers."

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Where can i read this?

The more I learn about lucas the more im convinced he is the hollywood version of the classic "give your little bro an unplugged controlled to make him think hes playing too"

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 31, 2015

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

tbh I'm more interested in seeing what he had in mind for 10/11/12

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
They should do a reality version of Brewster's Millions called George's Billions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Double Monocle posted:

Where can i read this?

The more I learn about lucas the more im convinced he is the hollywood version of the classic "give your little bro an unplugged controlled to make him think hes playing too"

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Journal_of_the_Whills,_Part_I

here's where it starts actually getting Star Warsy

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars:_Rough_Draft

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I think George's complaints about reuse and how he tried to put new planets and locations into each film have merit, problem is 3 out 4 Star Wars films he directed were trash films with garbage direction so... Yea.

And I guess star killer base was new, like we've seen a snow planet before but this one had trees and such.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Dr. Lariat posted:

I think George's complaints about reuse and how he tried to put new planets and locations into each film have merit, problem is 3 out 4 Star Wars films he directed were trash films with garbage direction so... Yea.

And I guess star killer base was new, like we've seen a snow planet before but this one had trees and such.

So new that Tattooine showed up in 5 out of 6 movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am repeating what I remember of an imgur or reddit post. TR-8R is not identified as one of Finn's training squaddies, but the guy who wiped his blood on his helmet was, providing slightly more context to that. We're not far away now from getting a completely bad and unnecessary book or comic about TR-8R. It's important to remember that Disney is going to continue building its own EU.

Ugh don't remind me. I love the meme but inevitably KJA is gonna find it and write. :ohdear:

• Locked thread