Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the NWN2 OC picks up in a big way once you reach the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

a medical mystery posted:

the NWN2 OC picks up in a big way once you reach the city

most people compare the OC unfavorably to MotB, but i gotta say i have never been able to complete MotB because it is anchored down by the most heinous part of the 3.X system - epic levels. it really feels like you have to be a spell caster to be viable (outside of a very small number of gimmick melee builds) but you also get option paralysis with spell casters where your spell book gets so enormous with regular spells and meta-magic and etc. that it's hard to know what to use when.

i think the furthest i got was right before the big siege of the starting town, and i just completely lost interest. i was even playing a warlock so i'd get the utility of spell casting without the option paralysis, but i just did not care about any of the characters by that point. the OC by contrast i've actually completed several times

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
After I beat the OC I intend to at least try MoTB. How does Neverwinter Nights 1 fare in hindsight, by the way? I got that as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Radio Talmudist posted:

After I beat the OC I intend to at least try MoTB. How does Neverwinter Nights 1 fare in hindsight, by the way? I got that as well.

The default campaign is stupid and dumb, but the expansions are pretty cool and are completely separate, so there's no need to play through the original.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

homeless poster posted:

most people compare the OC unfavorably to MotB, but i gotta say i have never been able to complete MotB because it is anchored down by the most heinous part of the 3.X system - epic levels. it really feels like you have to be a spell caster to be viable (outside of a very small number of gimmick melee builds) but you also get option paralysis with spell casters where your spell book gets so enormous with regular spells and meta-magic and etc. that it's hard to know what to use when.
OTOH, if you were a spellcaster, MotB let you play with the Arcane Scholar prestige class, which was basically Obsidian giving you carte blanche to completely break the game.

Radio Talmudist posted:

NWN1 is pretty bland. You only control one guy, so your tactical options are limited, but it still controls much like a party-based RPG would. There's a lot of clicking through repetitive encounters interrupted by looting crates and inventory management. I only played the original campaign and the first expansion; both weren't all that memorable, although the expansion was decent.
If you play it, make sure to roll a spellcaster of some kind so the gameplay doesn't get too boring.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 28, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Both games have the most horrendous game engines though. NWN2 was slightly better but not much.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fong posted:

Both games have the most horrendous game engines though. NWN2 was slightly better but not much.

yeah? i thought it was the other way round. NWN1 was pretty good in what it was trying to be, a tile based multiplayer game. I enjoyed some of the more dungeon crawley persistant modules back in the day. The OC was really poo poo so I never bought the expansions for it, though.

the NWN2 engine did everything wrong. It was clunky, slow and heavy yet It looked like poo poo (seriously, everyone looked retarded. it was worse than oblivion). also it was way too complex to make maps for, so the community never took off. unfortunate game. it seems like with pillars, obsidian finally developed the crpg they've been dying to since they started.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah, I'm with the rest, the OC for NWN1 was pretty much crap. Shadows of Undrentide was pretty cool, but Hordes of the Underdark was, I thought, quite well done and a much more interesting story overall. Some of the DLC was pretty good, too.

As to NWN2, again, I found the OC to be pretty blah and the characters to be more or less formulaic (and don't get me started on the ending....), but I really enjoyed the crap out of Mask other than the Hunger mechanic (for which a disabling mod was created in about a day). I get what they were trying to do with it, but god drat was it just aggravating.

NWN1 was far superior, however, for creating persistent worlds.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Wizard Styles posted:

NWN1 is pretty bland. You only control one guy, so your tactical options are limited, but it still controls much like a party-based RPG would.

This is what dampered it for me. I am much more fond of NWN2, all of it OC and expansions, because of the party aspect. Playing with one character and perhaps an NPC ally who is about as clever as trying to sell earmuffs for oysters was kind of bollocks. I've enjoyed one-man-show RPGs before, including both action ones like Skyrim and more sedate, turn-based ones as well, but I was really disappointed in that regard. I actually played the OC with two other humans. It was fun, or would have been if my dumbfuck groupmates wouldn't have kept running out and dying. I was the cleric (read: healbot) and I actually enjoy that role in groups, but my twit companions were a barbarian and some other melee type and I got so tired of them running into a gauntlet of bloodthirsty mobs and dying that it soured me on the experience.

On another note, how are the iPad versions of the infinity games? I was contemplating getting IWD:EE because it's the complete game with all expansions with no DLC for $5, which is cheap as chips. I think partially due to the touch interface and partially due to the incredibly good price, I'm actually wary of it. I have the GOG version, but this might be fun for gaming when I'm "out"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't gotten very deep into it, but it seems to control fine on my Android tablet and having kits and proper dual wielding is fun, if a bit overpowered. Look online for bugs, I don't know of any big ones but the iPad version would be the hardest platform to figure out a work around.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

JustJeff88 posted:

On another note, how are the iPad versions of the infinity games? I was contemplating getting IWD:EE because it's the complete game with all expansions with no DLC for $5, which is cheap as chips. I think partially due to the touch interface and partially due to the incredibly good price, I'm actually wary of it. I have the GOG version, but this might be fun for gaming when I'm "out"

The Baldur's Gate games control perfectly fine on iOS. They've especially benefitted from multiple QOL improvement patches which you will have the immediate benefit of by getting the games now.

Fair warning though, you will not have access to the console. That is a pretty big drawback even if you're not using it to cheat because you will lose the ability to use it to circumvent random bugs.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Augh. Goddamn, getting to the Blacklake District in NWN2 is taking FOREVER. I thought recovering the emissary would suffice, but the motherfucker was an impostor. Now I need resolve the entire greycloak-orc war. Oh, and I've just entered the dwarven scouts area (I'm assuming this is where the real chieftain is) and I've just been recruited to clean out an old dwarven stronghold. Jesus gently caress, will I ever complete this act?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Radio Talmudist posted:

Augh. Goddamn, getting to the Blacklake District in NWN2 is taking FOREVER. I thought recovering the emissary would suffice, but the motherfucker was an impostor. Now I need resolve the entire greycloak-orc war. Oh, and I've just entered the dwarven scouts area (I'm assuming this is where the real chieftain is) and I've just been recruited to clean out an old dwarven stronghold. Jesus gently caress, will I ever complete this act?

This is the worst part about the OC, getting past ACT1 takes loving forever, but once you make it past that it's fine. As I said earlier I just turn down the difficulty and run through it asap.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Has anyone playing Underrail been able to find Electrokinetic Imprint? I need to collect them all.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mehrunes posted:

Has anyone playing Underrail been able to find Electrokinetic Imprint? I need to collect them all.

Yeah, there is an Inn right by the gate, inside is a secret door to a pretty difficult fight. I won't spoil anything, but there is a way to cheese that fight hard.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Washout posted:

This is the worst part about the OC, getting past ACT1 takes loving forever, but once you make it past that it's fine. As I said earlier I just turn down the difficulty and run through it asap.

I'm pushing through. On the plus side, my characters are getting lots of experience.

Is there any discreet formation control in NWN2? I set my casts follow distance to far to protect them, but when I group select to have them all move to a particular location or attack a particular foe, the casters will run right up and use their melee attacks, which is pretty dumb. I guess I have to manually position everyone for each battle.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm pushing through. On the plus side, my characters are getting lots of experience.

Is there any discreet formation control in NWN2? I set my casts follow distance to far to protect them, but when I group select to have them all move to a particular location or attack a particular foe, the casters will run right up and use their melee attacks, which is pretty dumb. I guess I have to manually position everyone for each battle.

Iiirc there is an option for casters to never let them go into melee in the options somewhere. But the best bet for casters is to just give them slings and shitloads of ammo so that when they run out of spells or whatever they use the slings instead of running into combat. they won't do any damage with the sling but who really cares.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Crossbows are generally better, since they have a higher damage die.

I'm pretty sure there are formation options in NWN2, I used them to fix a common pathfinding bug.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Still no BG Ironman thread? I'll probably post it if there isn't one up by new year's, as long as no one minds me just copying most of last year's OP. I was pretty active in the last thread and followed every run, so I feel like I could maintain the OP no problem.

Now accepting thread title suggestions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radio Talmudist posted:

The dwarf area is actually a sidequest, but one that's well worth doing, especially if you like Khelgar (and yes, he does get real character development as the game goes on - he's one of the few who does).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mountaineer posted:

Still no BG Ironman thread? I'll probably post it if there isn't one up by new year's, as long as no one minds me just copying most of last year's OP. I was pretty active in the last thread and followed every run, so I feel like I could maintain the OP no problem.

Now accepting thread title suggestions.

BG Ironman: What is you, a big sissy?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
How's Baldur's Gate: Reloaded? Is it a superior experience to BG1 Enhanced?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The 2016 Baldur's Gate Ironman Thread: Feeding the wolves and rerolling since 1998.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you persist it will be a waste of your life.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Radio Talmudist posted:

How's Baldur's Gate: Reloaded? Is it a superior experience to BG1 Enhanced?

Bad. God no.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

If you persist it will be a waste of your life.

This one.

I'm currently at level 5 in my 1st ironman attempt with a solo Berserker. Solo Berserker is very simple by solo standards, so I should get through to BG2 easily. In last years run I killed Bodhi and then died to literally the next fight, I'd like to beat that if possible.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 30, 2015

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Real Foogla posted:

Yeah, there is an Inn right by the gate, inside is a secret door to a pretty difficult fight. I won't spoil anything, but there is a way to cheese that fight hard.

drat. I don't know where that is but with base 3 perception I'm not going to be finding any secret doors anyway.

Edit: nvm I found it and I didn't need to go through any secret doors (or Inns). :woop:

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 31, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I decided I am going to use cheaty mods for ironman and give no fucks I have more fun that way. Yes I have max hp and multiclass grand mastery and 100% spell learning.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Arivia posted:

Bad. God no.

I'd never heard of this and looked into it a bit... is it piss-awful in technical sense (buggy, crashes) in a design sense (boring, tedious, reptitive) and/or in a creepy content sense (creepy pedo poo poo/Chloe)?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Ironman thread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758197

Have fun getting eaten by wolves.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 31, 2015

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd never heard of this and looked into it a bit... is it piss-awful in technical sense (buggy, crashes) in a design sense (boring, tedious, reptitive) and/or in a creepy content sense (creepy pedo poo poo/Chloe)?

just looking it up, I see tons of complaints about quest breaking bugs as recently as earlier this december and iirc the mod has been around in some state since '13.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
If I get the Enhanced Version of BG1, are there mods to make the game less tedious in terms of combat and easier? I'm the sort of player who wants to blaze through fights for story content.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Radio Talmudist posted:

If I get the Enhanced Version of BG1, are there mods to make the game less tedious in terms of combat and easier? I'm the sort of player who wants to blaze through fights for story content.

There's so little story in BG1 that you'd be better off just going straight to BG2 and playing on easy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

There's so little story in BG1 that you'd be better off just going straight to BG2 and playing on easy.

Yea, if you just want the story then read an LP. The BG games are about combat using weird fussy old AD&D rules, if you don't enjoy that they will not be much fun.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Man the final boss in Throne of Bhaal really poops on you for using Hexxat. Wish I had known that was coming since it made it a lot harder.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Any good LPs that you guys would recommend?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Are there any UI mods that makes it so that it's easier to cast spells in the Baldur's Gate series? I've played through it before, but only having those 3 favorited spell slots, followed by a massive list of icons, just makes spellcasting too much of a hassle for me.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Radio Talmudist posted:

The BG2 intro movie tells you all you need to know about the first game's plot.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Radio Talmudist posted:

Comedy option: Vorgen's LP of the Big World Project http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435303

But really, if you're only interested in story just skip BG1 entirely. It's hours of sidequesting and wilderness wandering with a rather bare main plot, and the beginning of BG2 tells you everything important (and there isn't much to tell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah, i'm only playing it for the Ironman Challenge. BG1 is pretty boring, story and all. BG2 actually does a great job of summing it up while also creating a better narrative.