Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i really wouldn't be surprised if they drop lightining for usb-c and then include a c -> lightining adapter. the new atv already has a usb-c port and obviously the macbook does too

lightning is only usb 2 anyway
usb-c is thicker than lightning, and if they're trying to make things thinner, i don't think they would want to limit themselves. lightning isn't limited to usb-2, they've just not moved it to usb-3 for anything other than the ipad pro. i'd be more surprised if the iphone 7 uses usb-c than for it to be usb-3 lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

i too would not be surprised to see apple orphan yet another one of their proprietary connectors and its attendant hardware ecosystem. they've been doing it pretty reliably for about 20 years now

qft

Endless Mike posted:

usb-c is thicker than lightning, and if they're trying to make things thinner, i don't think they would want to limit themselves. lightning isn't limited to usb-2, they've just not moved it to usb-3 for anything other than the ipad pro. i'd be more surprised if the iphone 7 uses usb-c than for it to be usb-3 lightning.

true enough but they're already hitting a point where poo poo's getting too thin. camera wart and battery case (in point)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
usb-c is cool and I love having it on my Microsoft Lumia 950

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

usb-c is cool and I love having it on my Microsoft Lumia 950

how is that shiz anyway? the hardware demos i saw a couple months ago were stuttery in a way winpho never was before. idk if it was win10 or the 808(lol) cpu

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its buttery smooth as u'd expect. winphone is definitely the best phone os.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol if you think apple's answer to stupid eu standards will be something that changes its industrial design or doesn't charge europeens more for the privilege of meeting the standard

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

zen death robot posted:

there's a camera lens poking out of the back of the phone in the corner can we stop pretending that they give a poo poo

reminder, cultists: http://www.imore.com/difference-apple-samsung-industrial-design

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
boo hoo i cant believe safari wont support the google-tech-that-will-be-dead-in-a-year of the week. i cant work like this. im a Web Developer

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I heard apple just lost a poo poo-tonne of money c/d

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

imore.com posted:

Some people might not care. Like painting the back of the fence or finishing the underside of the cabinet, it's a detail that only people who take tremendous pride in craft really care about. And, of course, people who look for just exactly that kind of quality.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

lol. like it starts out and there are just pictures of alignments and i'm thinking 'wow hmm yet that does look really lovely' and then the dude starts waxing poetic about button aligment bae and he completely loses his own argument

when your writing would be more effective if you stopped writing it's a good indication that you shouldnt be a writer (like me for instance)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what if you get paid by the word and your family is literally starving

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
then you would work for the verge

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

carry on then posted:

let me guess, they're standardizing on microusb, not type-c

yeah like apple gives a gently caress about some Swiss dudes that are buttmad that their watch industry got loving destroyed by jony Ives

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
They may not give gently caress about the Swiss but laws are laws.

I doubt the Swiss are losing any sleep over watch sales.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I heard apple just lost a poo poo-tonne of money c/d
the italy taxes thing?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dodoman posted:

They may not give gently caress about the Swiss but laws are laws.

I doubt the Swiss are losing any sleep over watch sales.

qirex could probably answer this better but i think i remember reading that swiss watch sales tanked even though not a lot of people bought the apple watch

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

THC posted:

In the early 2000s, I was preaching Apple to everyone without being able to come up with better reasons than that it was "just better". Then one day, I got tired of buying a new computer every 6 months, I got tired of products being built to self-destruct, I got tired of the extreme vendor-lock and the arrogant, sadistic relationship Apple has with its customers.

sauce

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

qirex could probably answer this better but i think i remember reading that swiss watch sales tanked even though not a lot of people bought the apple watch
chinese anti-corruption push is thought to be one of the main factors [40% of swiss watches are sold in hong kong]

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

i too would not be surprised to see apple orphan yet another one of their proprietary connectors and its attendant hardware ecosystem. they've been doing it pretty reliably for about 20 years now

the iphone has had two connectors

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle27901300/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Necc0 posted:

the iphone has had two connectors

probably referring to the messy firewire/thunderbolt/displayport/dvi/hdmi/switcheroos over the years

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Last Chance posted:

probably referring to the messy firewire/thunderbolt/displayport/dvi/hdmi/switcheroos over the years

the only one of those that was proprietary was firewire

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the only one of those that was proprietary was firewire

i believe you mean Sony® iLINK™

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/op-ed-safari-is-the-new-internet-explorer/ comments

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
don't forget ADB and nuBus and a bunch of other poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
company making computers for 40 years has gone through several generations of connectors

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Swiss Watch industry annual sales ~$25 billion. First three quarters of Apple Watch sales ~7 billion.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they haven't announced apple watch sales because it is a failed product

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

qirex posted:

chinese anti-corruption push is thought to be one of the main factors [40% of swiss watches are sold in hong kong]

It's this

I'm actually kind of impressed at how draconian it's gotten... From what I'm hearing everyone (below a certain level) who previously had party cars and official chauffeurs are getting them taken away and replaced with a single stipend (not sufficient to own a car on)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

lol, apple's been doing this a lot longer than that

Beeftweeter posted:

don't forget ADB and nuBus and a bunch of other poo poo

The Management posted:

company making computers for 40 years has gone through several generations of connectors

yes, all of which they created themselves when other standards existed that did the same job, then ditched and changed to the standard implementation orphaning any products based around their proprietary poo poo. they do it like clockwork

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol, apple's been doing this a lot longer than that

yes, all of which they created themselves when other standards existed that did the same job, then ditched and changed to the standard implementation orphaning any products based around their proprietary poo poo. they do it like clockwork

leave yospos

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:qq::qq::qq::qq:infernal:qq::qq::qq:machines:qq::qq::qq: posted:

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
yes, all of which they created themselves when other standards existed that did the same job, then ditched and changed to the standard implementation orphaning any products based around their proprietary poo poo. they do it like clockwork :qq: :qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

god what a loving crybaby

cremnob posted:

leave yospos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Stymie posted:

they haven't announced apple watch sales because it is a failed product

true i only know like 6 people with one and 3 of them work at apple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

god what a loving crybaby

who's :qq:ing? i'm just saying they do it, regularly

cremnob posted:

leave yospos

lol. you should be rubbing yourself raw over the prospect of apple selling the same accessories all over again with a new plug

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
It's well known apple makes you buy a fuckton of tarded plugs and dongles. not my fault you slavering stockholmed sissies slurp it up. YOSPOS Bitch!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*dumps out epic timbuk2 to reveal a white tentacle pasta party* love it!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

2015 MBP has the same ports as a 2010 MBP, an the only proprietary one is the charger, so I guess if when you say 'regularly' you mean 'less often than every 5 years'

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

broken clock opsec posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed at how draconian it's gotten... From what I'm hearing everyone (below a certain level) who previously had party cars and official chauffeurs are getting them taken away and replaced with a single stipend (not sufficient to own a car on)

it's an overreaction to people actually starting to call them on their poo poo, there was a trend of people on weibo IDing the 5-6 figgie watches that government officials were wearing out in public and it got pretty embarrassing when some low-level functionary would get spotted wearing a different patek every day of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they make more than just mbps.

if you really want to make a big deal about denying a provable fact, go for it, maybe it'll help you sleep at night. but apple has left a trail of dead proprietary connectors behind them like blown roses since the mid-80s, so them doing it again is not surprising or even contentious.

• Locked thread