Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Cleaning a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, there was a definite hierarchy to it. Like PC users with broadband were gods, then came the DC BB players, then 56k mouse and keyboard, 56k controllers next, and finally you had the Brazilians with 575 ping.

loving Low Ping Bastards.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

yogizh posted:

Cleaning a mouse.

This was the most satisfying thing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

yogizh posted:

Cleaning a mouse.

would

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HD DAD posted:

This was the most satisfying thing.

It's a short-lived satisfaction though. For the real slow-burn kind, I'll take "buying my first optical mouse that actually worked (and wasn't one of these bastards:)"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Data Graham posted:

It's a short-lived satisfaction though. For the real slow-burn kind, I'll take "buying my first optical mouse that actually worked (and wasn't one of these bastards:)"

These things were awesome and made me feel like I was in THE FUTURE

like if I moved my mouse off the pad a little AI hologram would pop up on it and tell me to put it back

it never happened tho

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You mean like this guy?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

You mean like this guy?

I remember time cowboy! I got him killed I got him killed by a big titty cavewoman once.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

VikingSkull posted:

Quake 3 Arena loving owned on that.

Quake 3 TEST was about 30 MB to play.

It took more than 7 hours to finish downloading that. But boy, was it worth it!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Wicker Man posted:

Quake 3 TEST was about 30 MB to play.

It took more than 7 hours to finish downloading that. But boy, was it worth it!

And those curved surfaces!? Forget about it, games could never look better.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
making web pages with Hot Dog HTML editor, HoT MetaL, Microsoft FrontPage and DreamWeaver.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
Good design.

Apple does OK, but there's a little too much estrogen in it, you know? Too much practicality, too little Frank Lloyd Wright. Like their machines were meant be used by human beings instead of fastidious, hard edged, dystopian minimalists.

For instance, I always wanted one of these:

Running this:

Because color and rounded corners are for children and other loser bioforms who don't have the 2001 monolith for a soul.

That's why my daily driver is one of these:

The highlight? A 1600x1200 4:3 display. No good for movies, but there's nothing better for writing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Brainworm posted:

The highlight? A 1600x1200 4:3 display. No good for movies, but there's nothing better for writing.

until you want to split the screen between your writing and a source or whatever

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .
I live near a computer history museum which is full of relics. Here's some photos I took when I visited last year.

A Psion PDA to organise your early '90s life with:

An Acorn computer - we used these in school to move a turtle around the screen using elite programming tricks not for the faint-hearted:

SGI Origin 2000's - clusters of these make up the ASCI Blue Mountain supercomputer.

A stack of old SGI boxes - O2, Octane, Indigo, etc. They all ran Irix, I assume.

Sega Master System, for all your Alex the Kidd needs.

Altair 8800 - the thing that spawned Microsoft.

IMSAI 8080 - all you need to start a global thermonuclear war, or play chess.

DEC PDP-8, not quite as cool or historically important as the PDP-7 or PDP-11.

Fruity.

Apple III.

NeXTCube.

Apple Lisa. First commercial system with a GUI.

Sega SG-1000. Not popular, apparently.

ZX Spectrum.

... and 640K ought to be enough for anybody :smug:

Retro games wall - all playable, and more round the other side if I recall.

It was pretty cool, if you live near one you should definitely check it out :spergin:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh man, what about Palm Pilots? I had the III, the Vx, and whatever the last one they made (Lifedrive maybe?). They were awesome and I played a shitload of games on them instead of listening to class in high school.

Also the Treos were amazing - smartphones before there were smartphones. A friend of mine used to openly cheat on exams with his because none of his professors realized that it was possible to access the internet on a phone (IIRC he also ran up insane data charges because the rates were something crazy like $.10/Kb or equally absurd back then)

horizon posted:

It was pretty cool, if you live near one you should definitely check it out :spergin:

I distinctly remember going to Epcot at Disneyworld as a kid and there being a similar setup except way bigger, and I think it was all Sega products.

e: found it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innoventions_(Epcot)

quote:

Innoventions first opened in 1994 which prominently displayed Sega Genesis, Sega Game Gear, Sega 32X, Sega CD, and Sega Pico games in an arcade style.

Goddamn that place was the poo poo

also lol 32x lol

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Dec 31, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
They're missing the original iMac color, and the Lisa wasn't the first commercial system with a gui

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

horizon posted:

A working Jaguar? :vince:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

yogizh posted:

Cleaning a mouse.

Kids at school would steal the mouse balls all the time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bonzo posted:

making web pages with Hot Dog HTML editor, HoT MetaL, Microsoft FrontPage and DreamWeaver.

And don't forget PageMill. Best Silicon Valley pun name ever, wasted on a doomed piece of shovelware.

I still remember when my boss at the little ISP where I worked emailed me after I had gone back to college. "By the way, I tried making some web pages using PageMill. The pages suck, and so does PageMill."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

horizon posted:

Apple III.

I've never seen any photos of one of these being used in the wild, but was this actually the configuration they were supposed to be used in? How did Apple think people would be able to deal with the screen propped up so high?

I've always assumed this was just a "serving suggestion" or something, but I get the impression they actually expected this kind of geometry to catch on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

I've never seen any photos of one of these being used in the wild, but was this actually the configuration they were supposed to be used in? How did Apple think people would be able to deal with the screen propped up so high?

I've always assumed this was just a "serving suggestion" or something, but I get the impression they actually expected this kind of geometry to catch on.

I can't read the card, but I assume the middle device is a hard drive, which weren't really common on apple products for a while. The first Macs (I had a mac Plus) were designed to run off of floppies. MY family did have the external HDD though, which was nice because we didn't have to hot-swap discs all the time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
pssh i have a workig gamecube those things are damne near indestructable

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

The Goatfather posted:

until you want to split the screen between your writing and a source or whatever

Son, if I wanted to work with a 6" x 10" window I'd use one of these:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Brainworm posted:

Son, if I wanted to work with a 6" x 10" window I'd use one of these:

if youd listened to your mom about those videogames ruining your eyes maybe you wouldnt have trouble reading the small text

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

Kids at school would steal the mouse balls all the time

Until some lab teacher or administrator got the bright idea to glue them shut, so they'd get so full of crap they'd stop working.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(I still can't believe Radius existed before they made a rotating monitor; I mean, that's like the perfect name for a company with that as its signature product, right?)

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
why exactly did people swipe those mouse balls anyway?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cyril Sneer posted:

They had a steel core and were fun to throw at people/things

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

They had a steel core and were fun to throw at people/things

I saw a kid huck one through an inch-thick plate glass window. Those things could easily kill someone if thrown at their head.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Same for the N64. My dumbshit self dropped it on concrete years ago and that thing still works.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

The Goatfather posted:

if youd listened to your mom about those videogames ruining your eyes maybe you wouldnt have trouble reading the small text

It wasn't video games.

Or maybe it was.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Riosan posted:

Same for the N64. My dumbshit self dropped it on concrete years ago and that thing still works.

I never understood why the Super Nintendo and N64 were so stable but meanwhile the Genesis froze up if you so much as breathed on it - even the NES was more stable than the Genesis and that thing had a known design flaw

like my SNES got pulled off the stand it was sitting on multiple times by the weight of the AC adapter and the game never even froze once

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
cleaning out those mouse balls was almost as satisfying as cleaning out keyboard goop

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cyril Sneer posted:

middle school kids are assholes for the sake of being assh*les

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

horizon posted:

Apple III.

Hey, that's a Macintosh Portable down there! Quite the sexy hunk of technology:

It weighed 16 lbs and started at $6,500 in 1989 dollars, so you can imagine what a smashing success it was. Apparently part of the weight and cost problems were from the inclusion of pretty high-end display, RAM, and battery types, at least for what it was. It sucked anyway.

You could move the trackball to the left side in case you're a lefty, or you could replace it with a numeric pad if you wanted to use a mouse, like above. That's kinda neat.

It was even in Twin Peaks!

This thread is taking me back to middle school and early high school, when I spent all my free time reading about lovely Apple products on my lovely Mac :saddowns:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

you were warned posted:

This thread is taking me back to middle school and early high school, when I spent all my free time reading about lovely Apple products on my lovely Mac :saddowns:

That was pretty much me from like 6 until 15, because Macs were the best! :(

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

thathonkey posted:

I once accidentally dumped a ton of root beer on a friend's gamecube (not plugged in). I cleaned up what I could, let it dry out, and the fucker was totally fine. It's been in storage for years since then, so who knows if it's been eaten away inside by residue, but I bet it still works.

As far as I'm concerned, that made us even for the time he knocked a glass of koolaid directly onto the keyboard of my lovely old Compaq laptop, while it was on and plugged in. Koolaid all running out of the ethernet port. I took out the battery, stood it up to dry overnight, and that fucker was totally fine, too. Just smelled like fruit punch for a while. This was nearly ten years ago. My mom still uses that laptop occasionally to keep her Harvest Moon GameFAQs files accessible near the TV.

But apparently if you get so much as a drop of water on a Macbook, it's toast? They don't make 'em like they used to.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Well if we're going to bring up cleaning a mouse, we should really be talkin' about degaussing that monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9nOtX-CJg

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Syfe posted:

Well if we're going to bring up cleaning a mouse, we should really be talkin' about degaussing that monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9nOtX-CJg

Related

https://youtu.be/WPuWrgFJlzQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i played a few of the super classic games posted here when i was a kid but tribes needs a mention

i don't think i was ever so blown away by the massive maps and being able to fly in ships with my team etc. it was 1998 and ran fine on a lovely pc with software graphics acceleration