Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Orks get the store champ promotion alt art!

From Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MisterShine posted:

Orks get the store champ promotion alt art!

From Twitter

If you go on non-mobile, you can see the others, too. The Eeyrie for AGoT is the only other LCG though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

sassassin posted:

I bought it for £19 + p&p two weeks ago.

I should probably just sell it. I don't care about dwarves.
Can I ask where from?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

If you go on non-mobile, you can see the others, too. The Eeyrie for AGoT is the only other LCG though.

Loving the C3PO as a promo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

Can I ask where from?

It was 'board game extras' or something like that, through ebay.

Anyone in the UK interested in trading a few core cards/player cards from Dwarrowdelf/Treachery of Rhuaduar/Land of Shadow let me know. I've got no interest in keeping a binder/massive box of things I won't use.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just had a go at Hunt For Gollum with the family. We pulled Massing at Night on our second turn. I thought this game was meant to be easier with more players :suicide:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rarity posted:

Just had a go at Hunt For Gollum with the family. We pulled Massing at Night on our second turn. I thought this game was meant to be easier with more players :suicide:

Yeah I pulled some spider boss on turn 2 when I played my first game with the core set with my wife. Supposedly that's just bad luck but it kinda soured my experience

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I pulled some spider boss on turn 2 when I played my first game with the core set with my wife. Supposedly that's just bad luck but it kinda soured my experience

My very first enemy draw on my very first playthrough was goddamn Hummerhorns.

"Oh well, engagement value is 40 so I have several turns to get good use out of my heroes before one takes a dive"

*Next turn's shadow effect is Ungoliant's Spawn*

:shepicide:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Early game I hate drawing lovely orcs more than strong, high threat bosses. Especially when they're what, 1 threat?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rarity posted:

Only sometimes is it easier with more players. There are some quests such as Into Ithilien which are actually much easier with one or two people. I always play 4 player though and my friends and I have beaten every quest up to the current cycle so there's hope for you. Just don't be afraid to change up your decks or try the quests in easy mode.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

sassassin posted:

It was 'board game extras' or something like that, through ebay.
Thanks. Assuming it was these guys, looks like you must have snagged one of the last ones :)

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/index.php?sub_category=Deluxe+Expansions&category=Lord+of+the+Rings+LCG&sub_cat=265&cat=284#.Vn7xRxlFDqA

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Board Game Guru show Khazad Dum as currently being in stock. No idea how often they update stock status, especially over the Christmas period, but it might be worth a try. I've put an order in for it myself, as I'm in the same position as you.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Elenkis posted:

Board Game Guru show Khazad Dum as currently being in stock. No idea how often they update stock status, especially over the Christmas period, but it might be worth a try. I've put an order in for it myself, as I'm in the same position as you.
Thanks - but I think you must have got the last one! It's showing none in stock now. Oh well. FFG show it as On The Boat, so it shouldn't be too long.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Zephro posted:

FFG show it as On The Boat, so it shouldn't be too long.

Welcome the FFG community :getin:

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Zephro posted:

Oh well. FFG show it as On The Boat, so it shouldn't be too long.

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child.
Hey, it worked with Opening Moves. All I had to do was check every day and then as soon as it hit "shipping now" I camped Amazon.co.uk several times a day and managed to snag myself one of the ten copies they shipped to the UK before any of the hundreds of other people waiting for it managed to snag it (it's back up to £61 from third-party sellers now). It'll be fine, I'll just obsessively camp online retailers again :shepspends:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Zephro posted:

Hey, it worked with Opening Moves. All I had to do was check every day and then as soon as it hit "shipping now" I camped Amazon.co.uk several times a day and managed to snag myself one of the ten copies they shipped to the UK before any of the hundreds of other people waiting for it managed to snag it (it's back up to £61 from third-party sellers now). It'll be fine, I'll just obsessively camp online retailers again :shepspends:

I ended up paying full retail for it.... plus $13 to ship it to me.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Any suggestions on whether this deck is viable? It's based vaguely on Sam Braatz's worlds winning minicurve deck, just using Greyjoy stealth with Baratheon kneel to try and maximise the unopposed challenges.

Plot (7)
1x Calm Over Westeros
1x Counting Coppers
1x Filthy Accusations
1x Marched to the Wall
1x Rise of the Kraken
1x Sneak Attack
1x Summons

Character (34)
3x Asha Greyjoy
2x Dragonstone Faithful
3x Fiery Followers
2x Iron Islands Fishmonger
2x Lordsport Shipwright
2x Maester Cressen
2x Maester Wendamyr
3x Melisandre
2x Salty Navigator
2x Selyse Baratheon
3x Ser Davos Seaworth
1x Shireen Baratheon
3x Theon Greyjoy
2x Vanguard Lancer
2x Varys

Location (15)
2x Dragonstone Port
2x Great Kraken
2x Iron Fleet Scout
2x Sea Tower
3x The Kingsroad
3x The Roseroad
1x The Seastone Chair

Event (11)
2x Put to the Sword
2x Risen from the Sea
3x Seen In Flames
2x The Kraken's Grasp
2x We Do Not Sow

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/1513/minicurve-stealth-kneel-2.0

The idea is to get some stealth characters into play and activate the Baratheon kneel module to get as many unopposed challenges through as possible. Varys can reset the board once your opponent has their big scary characters out and you should be able to recover faster with all the low cost cards in the deck to keep getting that unopposed power.

Lots of 2 claim plots so you can try to grab as much power as possible or get the max out of your military. Rise of the Kraken has the potential to net you 8 power in a single turn by itself and you have a good shot of doing it if you can get all the kneel and stealth set up.

e: Changed some things up. Added a few more weenie characters, dropped down to 2 Varys and swapped in a summons plot. I found from trying some setups that even though there were none of the big characters I was still seeing too many 4 and 5 cost cards at setup because there are multiples of Theon, Asha and Melisandre. Don't really want to drop them because they are integral to the whole stealth/kneel concept. Hopefully by adding some more weenies and and swapping round some of the locations the gold curve rounds out a bit.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 30, 2015

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Why no Balon/Euron?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It's meant to be something similar to the deck that won worlds; it is a mini-curve deck so basically it doesn't run any of the big bomb characters because they cost too much and slow you down.

The idea is to have lots of low and mid cost characters that you don't care about too much. When the board has been developed a bit, your opponent has sacrificed some of his kingsroads and depleted his hand to get all his big lords and ladies out, you marshal Varys to wipe the board and start again. Your opponent doesn't have his big cards or economy in hand anymore and you should still be able to play all your cheap little cards.

If you time it right your opponent shouldn't have many options of what to play and often they can't afford to play a single character by themselves because you will just kill it straight away with military claim. Add in 2 claim plots and they have some hard decisions to make.

I thought it might be interesting to try the concept but add in as much stealth and kneel as possible to make my opponents life difficult and to try to rush to 15 power as fast as possible.

e: This is the deck that won worlds. No Red Viper or any other big bomb characters: http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/658/sam-braatz-s-worlds-winner-1.0

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 30, 2015

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I think thats more because the Viper isnt particularly good. Balon is just wonderfully powerful for his cost. Also you'd be screwed if they had dupes down if youre relying on Varys wouldnt you?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You might want Summons to fetch Melisandre since she's the lynchpin of the entire kneeling strategy. Also good to fetch a Fiery Followers too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm double posting, but I just noticed that CSI's prices for upcoming LCG products are more expensive, up from 9.49 to 11.29. Let us all collectively shake our fists at Asmodee.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm double posting, but I just noticed that CSI's prices for upcoming LCG products are more expensive, up from 9.49 to 11.29. Let us all collectively shake our fists at Asmodee.

i'm almost at tier 10 of CSI's discount program! :suicide:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought the CEO's explanation of giving bigger discounts to FLGS which actually help market and provide additional value added services [such as a place to play and a hub to find other people to play with] fairly compelling. It makes sense to me that the online store which doesn't help Asmodee market the game, or provide tournament/league play etc, wouldn't get the same level of discounts that a store providing those things gets.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

tijag posted:

I thought the CEO's explanation of giving bigger discounts to FLGS which actually help market and provide additional value added services [such as a place to play and a hub to find other people to play with] fairly compelling. It makes sense to me that the online store which doesn't help Asmodee market the game, or provide tournament/league play etc, wouldn't get the same level of discounts that a store providing those things gets.

So do you not realize that CSI has 5 large retail stores and host a ton of FFG events and tournaments? Not to mention anyone that doesn't have a FLGS and has to buy online, this is just putting the bill on their shoulders, but I bet FLGS prices won't go down a single penny. If Asomodee wasn't full of poo poo, online retailers prices should have stayed the same and FLGS' should have been given a discount to be competitive with online retailers. This is pissing on the players' shoulders and calling it rain.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 31, 2015

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

So do you not realize that CSI has 5 large retail stores and host a ton of FFG events and tournaments?

They do, and I know that, but I'm thousands of miles away from them and when I buy stuff they aren't improving my local meta at all.

Those B&M stores of CSI will start to get a better discount than the internet channel [from what I can understand]. So this will probably end up being good for the CSI B&M stores.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

tijag posted:

They do, and I know that, but I'm thousands of miles away from them and when I buy stuff they aren't improving my local meta at all.

Those B&M stores of CSI will start to get a better discount than the internet channel [from what I can understand]. So this will probably end up being good for the CSI B&M stores.

purchases at a csi b&m store are made through the same website, and you just pick it up from the counter.

source: they're my FLGS

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tijag posted:

lol "i know it's someone's flgs but it's not mine so gently caress 'em"

Beautiful.

The actual price changes don't go into effect until April, so it should only affect produce being released in April or later. If it's hitting earlier, it's probably CSI trying to raise the price a bit.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wouldn't Asmo giving out privileges to FLGS-es create a bubble if the FLGS can't survive without extra help?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Baron Porkface posted:

Wouldn't Asmo giving out privileges to FLGS-es create a bubble if the FLGS can't survive without extra help?

CSI has a distribution account, not a retail account. You can't really decrease the cost of things for your FLGS to compete against CSI because they're at completely different cost brackets to begin with.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

S.J. posted:

CSI has a distribution account, not a retail account. You can't really decrease the cost of things for your FLGS to compete against CSI because they're at completely different cost brackets to begin with.

I mean in terms of the strategy of growing and fostering LGS's. Like the comic book crash.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What happens if I draw two Goblin Snipers when setting up the Anduin mission? Neither can be engaged if there is any other enemy in the staging area, so am I just hosed?

My decks can deal with the troll no problem, but not before locations pile up and even my secrecy deck hits 35/40 threat. Or I draw the second troll.

Elrond sucks even with his ring. I need lore Aragorn.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

sassassin posted:

What happens if I draw two Goblin Snipers when setting up the Anduin mission? Neither can be engaged if there is any other enemy in the staging area, so am I just hosed?
Got a Gandalf? Or a player card that makes guys engage you?

sassassin posted:

My decks can deal with the troll no problem, but not before locations pile up and even my secrecy deck hits 35/40 threat. Or I draw the second troll.

Enemies don't engage you so sprint before the deck piles up.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 1, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Enemies don't engage on second phase, but they do on first.

Game feels so much harder since buying packs and putting together some decks. Just got smashed by the tutorial quest on semi-easy (forgot to put extra resources first turn) despite getting lucky on Ungoliant's spawn (it landed on an Ambush, I had a First Strike in my hand, and Elladan had enough resources to go to town).

Got smashed by locations again. Was up to six and then pulled an 'each player removes a hero from quest' treachery and gave up.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Baron Porkface posted:

I mean in terms of the strategy of growing and fostering LGS's. Like the comic book crash.

The comic book bubble happened because the entire world said "Comic books will always go up! UP! UP! I NEED TO COLLECT THIS MONTH'S #1 TO PAY FOR MY CHILDREN'S COLLEGE!"

When that didn't happen, 95% of people buying disappeared.

So, no, that's not the kinda thing that'll cause a bubble and crash.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've never played an LCG before, and am thinking about picking up Lord of the Rings. Ideally I'd play in the order everything was released but the older adventure packs are difficult to come by. I've been keeping an eye out for Hunt For Gollum for a month and haven't seen it anywhere.

Would there be any drawback to getting the core set and working my way through the Saga, snagging the other stuff as it comes back in stock? I know the Saga is separate, I just don't know if it's considered as good, and whether I'll be able to use Saga cards with the other expansions when I finally get around to playing them.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've never played an LCG before, and am thinking about picking up Lord of the Rings. Ideally I'd play in the order everything was released but the older adventure packs are difficult to come by. I've been keeping an eye out for Hunt For Gollum for a month and haven't seen it anywhere.
FFG reprint old packs now and then, and the reprint of Hunt for Gollum (plus all the other packs in the Mirkwood cycle) is supposedly shipping out to distributors now:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

It should start showing up in shops in a week or so.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Zephro posted:

FFG reprint old packs now and then, and the reprint of Hunt for Gollum (plus all the other packs in the Mirkwood cycle) is supposedly shipping out to distributors now:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

It should start showing up in shops in a week or so.

This is awesome news. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

New Year's Eve gaming has taught me that Night's Watch has terrible economy, especially since Meagre Contribution isn't as disruptive as I would have hoped. Their lack of a reducer location is pretty harsh. I also learned that Take the Black is also a severely underwhelming card, although maybe less so in Melee? I dunno, but I dunno if it's worth it to find out. Here to Serve is a dope as hell Plot for them though since getting Aemon out asap is pretty solid military protection. I'm hoping that the addition of the Martell icon loss attachments will help make the deck more effective. Some characters with Renown would definitely help...

I'm still not sure on Will, though, since he by himself isn't enough to incentivize just going full defense. At least with The Wall, you're getting 2 power, but with Will you just get a solid unit that still doesn't necessarily help you win the game.