Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Came in today expecting a very quiet shift, as it's winter break for the school.

But then my boss calls in.

Oops, we switched over to a new phone system for the whole campus yesterday and a few numbers didn't get released, better call all 1500+ extensions and see if any of them are busy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Oyster posted:

I'm thankfully strictly printer hardware/firmware, don't touch Cerner or print queues or anything of the like, but our Cerner was recently outsourced to Kansas. I'm in Michigan. Getting anything done with that is a nightmare. And of course, if Cerner crashes anywhere causing nothing to print I'm the first called.

I'm in the UK so it's even worse. Because if something goes really wrong, they have to bounce the issue to Kansas and it just takes forever. I'm more a process/info/ccl/etc guy, but I'm also taking on more hardcore server/backend stuff because I'm an idiot.

We have an outsourced 3rd party company than does out printers/print servers too. So we have AIX backend queue -> Cener frontend queue -> 3rd party print server -> end users. So many places for it go wrong.

Oh if anyone generally wants to share Cerner horror stories or can share any knowledge (on anything Cener related) please hit me up. Share the pain / learn.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

larchesdanrew posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in: do the needful ya fuckin piece-a fuckin poo poo

I read this in your southern accent.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I think I have worked there as well

I think at least half of us have. It's the Platonic ideal lovely desperate
MSP.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Oyster posted:

I'm thankfully strictly printer hardware/firmware, don't touch Cerner or print queues or anything of the like, but our Cerner was recently outsourced to Kansas. I'm in Michigan. Getting anything done with that is a nightmare. And of course, if Cerner crashes anywhere causing nothing to print I'm the first called.

Sounds like Cerner is hosting it (Kansas City, MO). Our company was hosting it for all of the hospitals that we support, but a few of the hubs were pretty crash-happy. After numerous complaints about lovely performance (and constant downtime), Cerner took over hosting. It's been MUCH smoother, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end whenever the nurses need Cerner support. Is 724 a heap of poo poo for you as well?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

TWBalls posted:

Sounds like Cerner is hosting it (Kansas City, MO). Our company was hosting it for all of the hospitals that we support, but a few of the hubs were pretty crash-happy. After numerous complaints about lovely performance (and constant downtime), Cerner took over hosting. It's been MUCH smoother, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end whenever the nurses need Cerner support. Is 724 a heap of poo poo for you as well?

I wasn't even aware it was MO, that's how much I know about Cerner. Don't know what 724 is. I get a lot of "OUR MACHINE ISN'T PRINTING" when it's not even on the Cerner tables and I just push it to internal IT.

My favorite is when the thin clients don't have enough space to even install the printer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress 724, gently caress it right in it's stupid rear end.

We are a Cerner/Nextgen system, soon to be a Cerner/Athena Health system. I haven't dealt much with 724 since we have remote cerner support, but the little work I have done on it has been enough to say gently caress 724 forever!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Oyster posted:

I wasn't even aware it was MO, that's how much I know about Cerner. Don't know what 724 is. I get a lot of "OUR MACHINE ISN'T PRINTING" when it's not even on the Cerner tables and I just push it to internal IT.

My favorite is when the thin clients don't have enough space to even install the printer.

724 is their terrible downtime client. If you don't babysit it, the downtime systems will have out of date information. The previous software was PCLA (Powerchart Local Access?). When they did the switchover, our Clinical informaticist at the time decided that suddenly, every department needed a shitload of systems with 724 installed. We ended up with 46 systems and she expected us to go around daily to make sure they were all up to date. We're only a 127-ish bed hospital. We have 400 bed hospitals with less than half the amount of downtime clients. Thankfully, she's now gone and her replacement agrees that 46 downtime systems is way overkill.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

AlphaKretin posted:

I know it's a meaningless buzzphrase, but goddamn, if a photocopier is affecting patient care, and/or you're careless enough around things that affect patient care to spill water on it, I don't want to be your loving patient. :stare:

I spent six months of hell doing Helpdesk for a mid-sized health care network. Every nurse used "patient care" whenever they didn't feel like waiting, or they'd call in on the physician's line since it was never busy. Abuse of "patient care" or calling the physician's line when you aren't a physician was supposed to be a terminating offense, but that would have required the executives to actually do something about it. Every day we'd get hundreds of calls or voicemails or emails that a nurse can't log into the time card system and it was affecting patient care. It got to be so bad that everything was patient care just like every message in email was flagged as important. We bitched a lot to the executives, but rather than address the problem and hire more people they instead pulled the field technicians inside and put them on the phones and then created some unholy mess of a scheduling system for IT. I'd already lined up a new job and was leaving before it went into effect, but a month or so after that I spoke with a former co-worker and was told that about 25% of the IT staff had quit since I'd left.

That was one of the biggest clusterfucks I'd ever encountered in my years in IT, but it sure did pay well. I'd consider going back as a sysadmin, but fortunately I know nothing about Citrix so they likely wouldn't hire me anyways.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Daylen Drazzi posted:

That was one of the biggest clusterfucks I'd ever encountered in my years in IT, but it sure did pay well. I'd consider going back as a sysadmin, but fortunately I know nothing about Citrix so they likely wouldn't hire me anyways.

I got saddled with our Citrix farm a few months ago and it's been an interesting ride. A lot of frustration (especially with trying to control the client) but Xen is pretty much all powershell under the hood so it's unholy the amount of poo poo you can do and control once you dive into it. My project over the past few weeks has been to get a script in place that does graceful rolling reboots of the servers and use powershell DSC to get a necessary piece of software that has to be installed individually on to provisioned servers.

Its thin provisioning gives our vmware admin conniptions though.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

TWBalls posted:

724 is their terrible downtime client. If you don't babysit it, the downtime systems will have out of date information. The previous software was PCLA (Powerchart Local Access?). When they did the switchover, our Clinical informaticist at the time decided that suddenly, every department needed a shitload of systems with 724 installed. We ended up with 46 systems and she expected us to go around daily to make sure they were all up to date. We're only a 127-ish bed hospital. We have 400 bed hospitals with less than half the amount of downtime clients. Thankfully, she's now gone and her replacement agrees that 46 downtime systems is way overkill.

Ahhhh. every floor has a few of those with nice red backgrounds on the desktop. Thankfully all of them only print to HP printers that I'm blessedly not responsible for.

I posted my worst abuse of "patient care" about 2 months after I started this job a few years ago, but I had a priority 1 "affecting patient care" ticket because a machine kept rebooting instead of printing. Learned later that it's a common problem with that particular model, firmware upgrade fixes it.

Got there and found out it wouldn't print her Groupon tickets to a Nickelback concert.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

hihifellow posted:

I got saddled with our Citrix farm a few months ago and it's been an interesting ride. A lot of frustration (especially with trying to control the client) but Xen is pretty much all powershell under the hood so it's unholy the amount of poo poo you can do and control once you dive into it. My project over the past few weeks has been to get a script in place that does graceful rolling reboots of the servers and use powershell DSC to get a necessary piece of software that has to be installed individually on to provisioned servers.

Its thin provisioning gives our vmware admin conniptions though.

Funnily enough, I actually went to the company's website yesterday and they had a Sr Technology Engineer position that looked pretty drat intriguing enough that I applied for it. One of their skill requirements was "the ability to work under sometimes-stressful conditions which may occur in emergency situations or heavy workload. If a critical problem arises the employee is required to stay as long as it takes to resolve the problem."

They also wanted people who had the following education: "Bachelor Degree w/6+ years job experience required. Completion of CCNP, MCSA, Nortel/Avaya, CCSP, CCDP, CWLSS, CCIE, MCSE, MCSM, VCPx-DCV, VCAPx-DCA, DCUCx, Imprivata, storage, or equivalent certifications preferred. Advanced experience in 2 of 3 disciplines, Network, Server or Telecom." Not a problem as I have the VCP5-DCV cert.

And finally there's the experience requirements: "Five or more years of progressive, technical, computer-related experience is required. Demonstrates Senior level of knowledge for installing, administering, and supporting infrastructure components in focus areas of network, server, and or systems." I can quite easily state that I have that down pat.

I asked my buddy if I was crazy for being interested in the position, and while he said I may not be crazy I certainly do have a screw or two loose upstairs. I figure the worst the company can say is no to interviewing or hiring me. Fortunately I didn't see anything about Citrix mentioned, so they may have scrapped the whole thing in the three years since I left.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Oyster posted:

Ahhhh. every floor has a few of those with nice red backgrounds on the desktop. Thankfully all of them only print to HP printers that I'm blessedly not responsible for.

I posted my worst abuse of "patient care" about 2 months after I started this job a few years ago, but I had a priority 1 "affecting patient care" ticket because a machine kept rebooting instead of printing. Learned later that it's a common problem with that particular model, firmware upgrade fixes it.

Got there and found out it wouldn't print her Groupon tickets to a Nickelback concert.
Wowzers. At the hospital I work at, this would pretty much lead to the execution of the person shouting "patient care!" We have a completely separate process for urgent issues that affect clinical operations, and if someone abused that there'd be hell to pay. Not to say that people don't try it occasionally. but the executives support the policy so we get to shut down the types of folks who send an email copying the whole leadership roster.

Our biggest problem here is people not reading their email. "What do you mean XYZ application is unavailable this weekend at 2:30AM, my night shift needs it then! We didn't receive any notice! Oh, those 4 system announcements and two personal emails warning us? Didn't read any of 'em. You say somebody from IT personally visited our weekly staff meeting to present this issue? I, uh, yeah."

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

The Macaroni posted:

Wowzers. At the hospital I work at, this would pretty much lead to the execution of the person shouting "patient care!" We have a completely separate process for urgent issues that affect clinical operations, and if someone abused that there'd be hell to pay. Not to say that people don't try it occasionally. but the executives support the policy so we get to shut down the types of folks who send an email copying the whole leadership roster.

Our biggest problem here is people not reading their email. "What do you mean XYZ application is unavailable this weekend at 2:30AM, my night shift needs it then! We didn't receive any notice! Oh, those 4 system announcements and two personal emails warning us? Didn't read any of 'em. You say somebody from IT personally visited our weekly staff meeting to present this issue? I, uh, yeah."

That does lead to execution here normally, but I'm a 3rd party vendor repair guy that falls under document/mail services, not part of IT itself, so apparently that poo poo can still fly.

Now that I know people in the IT department I'd definitely escalate something as stupid as that.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Oyster posted:

Please tell me you gave the info to their boss, and she got fired for abusing the system and being a fan of lovely music

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
A ticket came in...

"Website unavailable internally. Tried on personal cellphone and couldn't reach site either; forwarding to OPS/Network team to determine if it's on our end."

Glad we didn't rule that out already with a test from a cellphone. Thanks, Help Desk.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A ticket came in...

"Website unavailable internally. Tried on personal cellphone and couldn't reach site either; forwarding to OPS/Network team to determine if it's on our end."

Glad we didn't rule that out already with a test from a cellphone. Thanks, Help Desk.

I rarely get escalations like this, but boy does somebody hear from me when I do.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wait, it's not a site you host?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

odiv posted:

Wait, it's not a site you host?

No, it was some financial website that had a hiccup from the provider and became temporarily unavailable.

Our Help Desk is constantly engaged in a race to the bottom to see who can do the least work on their team.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

No, it was some financial website that had a hiccup from the provider and became temporarily unavailable.

Our Help Desk is constantly engaged in a race to the bottom to see who can do the least work on their team.

I've taken a two week old ticket with the only two words being "internet slow". Our helpdesk had spent their time rebooting firewalls and asking 'has that fixed it'? Nobody attempted to find out that it was sitting at 100% utilization or why it was doing that. The reboot would temporarily cause the job that was maxing the line out to fail until it was next scheduled to run, so the case ended up getting set to solved every day for two weeks until the customer re-opened it the next morning.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

I've taken a two week old ticket with the only two words being "internet slow". Our helpdesk had spent their time rebooting firewalls and asking 'has that fixed it'? Nobody attempted to find out that it was sitting at 100% utilization or why it was doing that. The reboot would temporarily cause the job that was maxing the line out to fail until it was next scheduled to run, so the case ended up getting set to solved every day for two weeks until the customer re-opened it the next morning.

Hahah I can imagine by the fifth day helpdesk concluded the firewall must be bad and needs to be replaced. "we reboot this drat thing every day and it keeps breaking! There is no other possibility other than rebooting every day forever!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The box was licensed with all the features required to get a graph of traffic and see what flows were eating up the link and then drill down to a specific service and host. But nope, thumb up arse and sit around dumbfounded for a couple of weeks.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Oh boy, the team at Facebook must be having a great day.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

this doesn't affect me because i used time travel to ensure every event in my life already happened on the linux epoch

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Edit: I can't read

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just :yotj:ed at a local bank's helpdesk. I thought for sure I had managed to avoid helldesk work after 4 years doing infrastructure design, but I guess it's never too late to start over at the bottom! So far, the calls have been pretty mild and the work environment is nice, so I can't complain too much. Especially since they're paying way too much for me to reset people's passwords.

And SA isn't blocked (but the images are), so someone on the security team must be a goon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

KillHour posted:

I just :yotj:ed at a local bank's helpdesk. I thought for sure I had managed to avoid helldesk work after 4 years doing infrastructure design, but I guess it's never too late to start over at the bottom! So far, the calls have been pretty mild and the work environment is nice, so I can't complain too much. Especially since they're paying way too much for me to reset people's passwords.

And SA isn't blocked (but the images are), so someone on the security team must be a goon.

Careful, if they run a report you'll end up high on the block list from the blocked images.

Have fun explaining it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pixaal posted:

Careful, if they run a report you'll end up high on the block list from the blocked images.

Have fun explaining it.

That's a good point, actually. I guess the best explanation I'd be able to give is that there's no reason for me to expect I shouldn't be allowed here. Most "recreational" sites (Reddit, YouTube, etc.) aren't blocked.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 31, 2015

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

New Year's Eve, 3:00 PM, logging out and ready to leave the office:

quote:

Hi [MSP],

We have a new employee. Please set-up with an AD user, mapped drives, and necessary programs today so it's ready for her first day Monday, 1/4/16. Thanks!

quote:

Hi [MSP],

We have a new employee. Please set-up with an AD user, mapped drives, and necessary programs today so it's ready for his first day Monday, 1/4/16. Thanks!

I'll get right on that.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
"Sorry, didn't see that email. Must've came in after I left for the day. Next time, give me proper notice."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Happy 2016, goons. :toot:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

Why does your helpdesk even have the power to reboot a firewall? I'm a sysadmin and if I asked for access to reboot a firewall, at any company I have worked at, I would be laughed at.

Firewalls, core routers, and any other central type network gear should be off limits to anyone who doesn't deal with it exclusively.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KillHour posted:

This is common for your run of the mill corporate filtering proxy. I think it's because the content on the forums isn't really offensive as much but the image host has goatse and stuff on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

Why does your helpdesk even have the power to reboot a firewall? I'm a sysadmin and if I asked for access to reboot a firewall, at any company I have worked at, I would be laughed at.

Firewalls, core routers, and any other central type network gear should be off limits to anyone who doesn't deal with it exclusively.

It's a lovely MSP lacking in effective management

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a lovely MSP lacking in effective management

Like my previous job I guess. I was more going to say lazy employees but that's the fault of management as well I suppose.

I rebooted servers pretty often as the first line of defense help desk employee. I was well into sysadmin and network admin territory pretty often. Thankfully we two help desk guys actually knew what we were doing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My lead is pissed at me.

I took over a PC setup that my coworker was doing because this computer was loving up all of Christmas weekend. I deploy it trying out a single general profile because I figure most of the issues with this computer are from everybody switching profiles all the time and they have to log into every program with another login anyway. This idea gets squashed on Tuesday afternoon. I go on vacation as of Wednesday.

Meanwhile that thing is making users generate tickets every 12 hours, day and night. He's getting pissed and I can't say I blame him. However, some of the issues that have come up occur no matter what you do. AS400 System navigator doesn't want to log in, we still don't have a way to prevent that or fix it beyond a reinstall. Chartmaxx is always losing the scanning profiles. I tested it to the best of my ability, but I can't log in as every single person that will ever use it and personally test every program they have.

I feel like his weekend got hosed up and now I'm the scapegoat because I was stupid enough to get involved on Monday. Some of his complaints are legit, I won't deny that, but some of them just happen that way and he should know these programs suck better than anyone.

On Monday I have to reimage the PC. Does anybody have a way of setting up Windows 7 profiles and especially Outlook without personally logging in as every single person? There are about a dozen users.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GPO. Google it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

skooma512 posted:

On Monday I have to reimage the PC. Does anybody have a way of setting up Windows 7 profiles and especially Outlook without personally logging in as every single person? There are about a dozen users.

As Potato Salad said you should look into GPOs, but for Outlook it's laughably easy to set up when you install Office in the first place. Just run Office's setup.exe with an /admin option. edit what you want, and save the results. Put the MST-file you made in the UPDATES-folder in the Office install source and it'll get added when you install Office.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Crowley posted:

Just run Office's setup.exe with an /admin option.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx

This is the kind of thing that blows you away the first time you hear about it. It's obviously not something that normal users know about, and in a small shop it can make you look like a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Except you can only do it with ProPlus versions of Office these days.

The GPO for auto config of Outlook is in the Office GPO templates, it's called "Automatically configure profile based on Active Directory Primary SMTP address"

I'm not super clear on your problem but you could also just use the Windows Easy Transfer function in Win7 to copy the profiles from the existing PC, and load them up on the re-imaged PC.

• Locked thread