Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love berserk but I'm not gonna watch this poo poo. I just cant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'm gonna watch it but I won't be happy about it

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Reds posted:

Oh jesus the TV series is not going to be pretty if this was the best they could do on a movie budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASA2W2CsTwE

Well, no use moping about it. I know it won't happen, but I really want the 90s anime voice of Guts to return. He's the only Guts I'll recognise.

reposting the superior cut of that scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuk-fkA79pQ

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

.jpg posted:

reposting the superior cut of that scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuk-fkA79pQ

Too hot for American eyes apparently

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Should I watch the original Berserk anime?

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
Yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really can't be all that upset about Yet Another Bad Berserk anime, we've done this song and dance before and for all the issues with the release schedule the manga has it's still there doing its thing and being pretty drat good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yes, particularly now that they have a remastered version of it (I mean, it doesn't look that good of a show anyway but they still managed to give as much an HD treatment as you can) but getting the Bluray rips is pretty much :filez:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I think the 90s Berserk anime looks pretty good. Particularly everything leading up to and including the Eclipse.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Reds posted:

I think the 90s Berserk anime looks pretty good. Particularly everything leading up to and including the Eclipse.

yeah but it cuts out the nude severed torso standard army

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mraagvpeine posted:

No. It's really really bad.

Everyone itt who thinks it's good seriously needs to take another look, it is some bottom barrel animation.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

No. It's pretty drat bad.

The movies are better, though the CGI is very distracting.

Neither do the manga justice.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

No. It's really really bad.

Everyone itt who thinks it's good seriously needs to take another look, it is some bottom barrel animation.

You've been looking at an odd barrel, the animation is fine other than its refusal to show army scenes with more than a few people on screen as anything more than still pans.

Reds fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 31, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The anime was the first berserk thing I watched and I thought it was great

also the outtakes

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah but it cuts out the nude severed torso standard army

What is the nude torso army? It's been a while since I read Golden Age.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No. It's pretty drat bad.

The movies are better, though the CGI is very distracting.

Neither do the manga justice.

It's from 1998 dude. Yeah there's a lot of panning over stills but it gets way closer to the original manga than the lovely movies that don't even bother telling you half of the Hawk's names and is exceptionally well paced. Also the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What is the nude torso army? It's been a while since I read Golden Age.
The Black Dog Knights who get sent after Griffith once the Band of the Hawk rescues him.

You probably at least remember this guy:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The 90s anime is very well directed, has the score, the backgrounds, while sometimes ridiculously low detail, I actually quite like the style of and helped the atmosphere a lot, and if you think that animation is bad you really haven't seen many low budget shows. They managed to squeeze out a lot more animation than they really should have been able to.

It's not a perfect adaptation by any means, but judging it on its own merits I think it's a really good show. And on a personal note I imagine the lack of gore bothers people, but I don't care enough about that aspect to list it as a negative in my preferences.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 90's anime is way more gory than they would ever get away with on TV nowadays without huge black censorship bars over everything.
The Eclipse would look worse than the TV version of the last episode of Blood C.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

The 90's anime is way more gory than they would ever get away with on TV nowadays without huge black censorship bars over everything.
The Eclipse would look worse than the TV version of the last episode of Blood C.

To play devil's avacado for this, they expect you to buy the BDs for the full level of gore and couldn't be bothered accomodating for the TV broadcast. It still looks absolutely ridiculous.

Expect me to be the 90s anime defence squad because I really like the anime for a number of reasons.

Reds fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 31, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reds posted:

You've been looking at an odd barrel, the animation is fine other than its refusal to show army scenes with more than a few people on screen as anything more than still pans.
"This animation is fine except for all the times when it's just a still image, which is constantly"

Like the movies are horrible too, but they're all bad. Everything's bad.
Just because it was the 90s doesn't mean it doesn't look like poo poo now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The current simulwatch is one of the greatest anime series of all time and is also 80% panning over stills and other cost cutting stuff.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

The current simulwatch is one of the greatest anime series of all time and is also 80% panning over stills and other cost cutting stuff.

No you see, stills stopped existing after the nineties, every anime nowadays doesn't use them. Action still died with cel animation, didn't you hear.

Gainax tended to cut costs as much as possible to provide good EVA action scenes, though. It's usually worth it until the last couple of episodes where everything is starting to fall apart in the budget department.

You try finding me a show that doesn't use CG that gives fully animated army scenes that isn't low detail, a distance shot, or using every trick in the book to avoid animating many people at once. Cost cutting is constant and everywhere because animation is hard and time consuming. Most fluidly animated fight scenes in anime are incredibly short, and are constantly avoiding having to actually animate things. Considering the average length of Berserk's fight scenes they do a pretty good job keeping the animation budget together.

Granted, the method of "make a painting of them hitting somebody instead to try to add impact to the attack" isn't exactly a common technique, that's certainly dated. But at least Guts is still animated actually swinging the drat thing, constantly. There are no action scenes where it simply avoids showing him attacking at all. I'm surprised it's as animated as it is given the budget and length of the action scenes. And things do look pretty good whenever Guts has a one-on-one fight with somebody.

Reds fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 31, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Panning stills for battles have mainly been replaced by CGI shots of the same copy/paste horse and rider, progress!

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Panning stills for battles have mainly been replaced by CGI shots of the same copy/paste horse and rider, progress!

I appreciate Arslan Senki trying, but boy was it obvious when they ctrl-v'd animations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
those guys are totally different, look at the eyebrows

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

bowmore posted:

those guys are totally different, look at the eyebrows

And then the first and third guys have the same eyebrows anyway. This clone-based army was a terrible idea.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
We who were born triplets regret having only three lives to give in the service of our king.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bowmore posted:

The anime was the first berserk thing I watched and I thought it was great

also the outtakes

Whether or not you watch the old anime, watch the outtakes. They're great. You can find them on YouTube.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The old berserk anime was basically a powerpoint presentation but it was a good one. With a nice soundtrack.

It was animated by the same studio that made Pokemon, so... let that sink in.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

It is good

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Ccs posted:

The old berserk anime was basically a powerpoint presentation but it was a good one. With a nice soundtrack.

It was animated by the same studio that made Pokemon, so... let that sink in.

That studio made plenty of things before and after that aren't Pokemon, not sure what that has to do with anything.

I just don't get where people get the lack of animation thing from, even in a scene like the hundred man fight there's a perfectly good animated shot for every still pan, and usually the pan is after he's hit somebody.

I had always heard the anime described as having gently caress-all animation so I was surprised when I watched it, I don't think it deserves to be called that at all.

On that note, the hundred man fight is still the silliest thing. You'd think after the first three hours and fifty men the plan of wearing him down isn't working before they charge headfirst into a meat grinder. That's the oldest comment in the book, though. Although one of my favourite scenes remains the time where some captain calls Guts's reputation exaggerated before he bursts through the door while killing three men in one swing.

Reds fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 31, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Okay, true. Yeah, I liked the original series and had the same amount of animation as a lot of series.

I recommend it, though the manga is definitely better.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The ideal situation has always been to read the manga while listening to the anime's OST.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I heard from a friend that I should skip the first episode of the anime. Said that it messed up the rest of the series. Any merit to that claim?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard from a friend that I should skip the first episode of the anime. Said that it messed up the rest of the series. Any merit to that claim?

The first episode of the anime covers that snake count guy to provide a little context for the post-Golden Age world and to explain to the anime-only viewer that things went to poo poo. It removes Puck and condenses it a bit, but that's about it. There's nothing about it that would mess up the rest of the series because it's set afterwards so I don't know what your friend is talking about.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Only if you're a Berserk virgin and are going into it expecting it to be a gritty realistic drama about medieval mercenaries or something. There are no episodes of the show which you should skip if you're going to watch the show, they're all at a pretty consistent standard.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mraagvpeine posted:

The first episode is the only great thing about that show. It's to this day the only Black Swordman stuff we have that's animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

skasion posted:

Only if you're a Berserk virgin and are going into it expecting it to be a gritty realistic drama about medieval mercenaries or something.

Yeah, friend assumed that I did not know anything about the series. Since I read the manga already, I don't need to worry about "spoilers" or anything. Now I just need to find the series.