Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Moridin920 posted:

I've seen some things get butchered that my militia killed but it's pretty rare.

I believe so; I haven't seen any sleeping in my fort residence area and if there aren't enough tavern rooms I see people sleeping on the floors.

On a side note, ever since I built my library and temple the dwarve split their time between those two and the tavern and I haven't seen any coordinated dancing for years and years... :(

Sorry you got the Puritan dwarves :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
If you give a dwarf one of the new roles (scholar or performer or whatever) will they still carry out whatever labours they have enabled?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

scamtank posted:

file_changes.txt is our best guess as it is. :shrug:

code:
[SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:<amount>:<max>]
	each 100 of amount will contribute SEV in general to each effect (before dilution), max goes up to 1000
	the concentration does not decrease, but will stay at the maximum attained until the syndrome wears off
It's used to control the dangerous effects of binge drinking, at any rate.

oh that covers it fairly well. the wiki didnt have poo poo on it.

i wonder if increasing the concentration refreshes the syndrome timer.

im just writing a bunch of interactions/syndromes and wondered if itd be useful at all

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Oh boy. How old can Humans get in DF? I had a wandering Human Crossbowman join my militia and after getting curious if Humans hated being caught in miasma (they do) I noticed that he's 94 years old.

Also all my visitors ever do is engage with poetry and tales, I want some dancing in my tavern so how do I get it? I have an 8x8 clear space.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Urist has been upset lately. A wall mocked him recently. The visage of his dead wife appeared above his bed recently. His best friend was swallowed by the floor recently. He ate in a spectacular dining room recently.

I like how in old platform games and stuff the walls usually would have grimacing faces in them. That needs to be brought back.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Trundel posted:

Oh boy. How old can Humans get in DF? I had a wandering Human Crossbowman join my militia and after getting curious if Humans hated being caught in miasma (they do) I noticed that he's 94 years old

If I'm reading the raws right, the max age for humans is 120. However, the effects of aging aren't really built in past childhood, so you won't see any skill or attribute degradation.

Don't worry though, I'm sure that eventually this will be replaced by a system that tracks each creature's dietary habits, exercise level, and blood pressure, while also calculating telomere decay and DNA methylation at each tick for a more realistic aging experience.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Haha, so an undead invasion promptly stalled when the necromancer raised a couple of Giant Kangaroos as skeletons and his living retinue of a couple of Speardwarves and Hammergoblins attacked the newly raised creatures. Doesn't appear to have triggered an invasion loyalty cascade but it's still pretty good that they're all just milling around now and crushing whatever gets raised.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
New Future of the Fortress.

Tarn "Toady One" Adams posted:

I don't recall actually making the vomit suffocate them yet when they are ko'd, though it seems like the sort of thing I'd do.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
I keep getting moody dwarves stuck on fruit picking ladders.

A google search is getting hits on this issue but it seems to be from bay12's private bug tracker.

If the other people complaining about this bug are right it's also causing my significant FPS drop.

Is there a workaround to this or do I wait for this idiot to dehydrate?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Dig it out from under him.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
Thanks. I should have thought of that. I tried to dump the ladder but that wasn't working.

I'm actually sad Urist didn't break her neck from the fall.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

loving hell I just finished a bedroom wing.

Couple Questions: How many Z levels should a pit be to produce a pleasing Goblin gib explosion when they hit the floor at the bottom of it? and how do I get my idiot dwarfs to dump Goblins from a cage down a hole without these dipshits opening the cage and getting goblin'd

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Pound_Coin posted:

How many Z levels should a pit be to produce a pleasing Goblin gib explosion when they hit the floor at the bottom of it?

The arena mode is specifically adjusted for scientific shenanigans like this!! Assuming a normal, naked goblin and a normal, generic stone floor, you need 3 levels before you get injuries and 6-7 until body parts start getting crushed on impact.

I say go for 15 levels and line the bottom with lead for good measure.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Don't forget to pipe in a magma drainage system so you can dispose of the rotting body parts and retrieve all their iron equipment.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

scamtank posted:

The arena mode is specifically adjusted for scientific shenanigans like this!! Assuming a normal, naked goblin and a normal, generic stone floor, you need 3 levels before you get injuries and 6-7 until body parts start getting crushed on impact.

I say go for 15 levels and line the bottom with lead for good measure.

I think I'll go for about 12 levels drop into a marble floored glass box.

:iit:

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

The little dances they do are adorable.

Edit: This book is really good too,

quote:

Written on the item is a manual entitled The Mysteries of the Biography, authored by Iden Findcraft. It concerns the method of writing the history of a single individual. The writing is stunningly self-indulgent and it is depressing.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 30, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mu. posted:

That's amazing. Can't wait for Fox News's reaction when a gif emerges of a swastika dance.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pound_Coin posted:

Couple Questions: How many Z levels should a pit be to produce a pleasing Goblin gib explosion when they hit the floor at the bottom of it? and how do I get my idiot dwarfs to dump Goblins from a cage down a hole without these dipshits opening the cage and getting goblin'd

For what it's worth 5-10 z-levels seemed fine in .34 but in the new versions I'll drop a gobbo 20-30 z levels and he'll be fine for the most part. Maybe because he falls onto another gobbo? But yeah the floor weight/density matters because of how fall damage is calculated.

I usually pit things in groups of like 3-4 and the dwarves don't panic or freak out - if you're on the latest version you're going to have to wait until the 'dwarves won't chain/pit/cage sentient creatures' bug is fixed.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
In this latest release, only one of my herbalist dwarves was too cowardly to jump down from a tree before he starved to death. Everyone else jumped once they saw the woodcutter coming.

I had an inexplicable loyalty cascade. No idea what the origin was. It turned into a total bloodbath, so I ended up hard-quitting. No one was stressed or tantruming. Someone just started shooting and I couldn't even determine who -- the battle reports only showed that dwarves were being shot, not who was doing the shooting. Somehow it caused them to all recognize each other as enemies.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Mu. posted:

Edit: This book is really good too,

I also cannot get any dances to occur. I have a big tavern space, a bag and cabinet that NEVER get stocked with my drat instruments, a tavern keeper, and alchohol stockpile in the tavern....what do I have to do? There are plenty of visiting performers and bards with their own instruments.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reading posted:

I also cannot get any dances to occur. I have a big tavern space, a bag and cabinet that NEVER get stocked with my drat instruments, a tavern keeper, and alchohol stockpile in the tavern....what do I have to do? There are plenty of visiting performers and bards with their own instruments.

Do you have a temple and/or library also? I swear ever since I built those all coordinated dancing has stopped.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Do you have a temple and/or library also? I swear ever since I built those all coordinated dancing has stopped.

Sounds like gyromancy will be coming next

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
As soon as people figure out how to separate Uranium by weight with that little spinny dance we are off the the races.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

reading posted:

In my fortress dances are quite rare and some of them last, like, 2 turns.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

reading posted:

I think that dances break up because one of the participants has decided to do something else so instead of them leaving and the dance continuing on without them, the whole thing breaks up.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
I can't wait for new zombies. The super tough zombies that are sieging my fortress are hell to deal with. Time to try fortifications to see if my marksdwarves can get some lucky shots in.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Let's see some photos of those current forts.
This one's mine. Temple district to the east, food production to the north, craftsdwarves quarter to the south, and the royal sanctum to the west. I just got through with the temple area. The big temple with the massive dance floor area is the temple to the most popular god in the fort, the god of suicide. Their choice in deity has me a little worried, but if that's who they want to worship then who am I to stop them?

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 31, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also, loving christ an entire troupe of elven and goblin performers just moved in all at once. The new petition system is really cool. I have an actually pretty diverse mix of residents, and a lot of my military dwarves are petitioned mercenaries.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Are buildings destroyed by tanthruming dwarves automatically rebult? For some reason my version of DF (latest stable LNP) never properly zooms to a spot I want (strange moods, horrified, etc.) so I don't know what got destroyed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Nah, they just disintegrate into their basic components. The bits are all there, but you need to replace them.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Awww, this sucks. I should check my fort periodically then. I wish dwarven Paxil existed :( This fucker already has ten aluminum statues and an artifact bed in his room. Sorry dude, I don't have any albatross for you to eat. Still, surviving for 15 years is not bad for my first fort I think :)

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 31, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's he so mad about?

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

What's he so mad about?

His only visible bad thoughts are from a recent siege, but he was always in a terrible mood even in peaceful times. Maybe because he's the mayor? Didn't know it was a stressful job, especially since he always gets good thoughts from meeting people.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

3/4 of my fort got killed by a webbing, flying forgotten beast and then DF crashed without saving. I feel dirty. If it generates again, I guess I should gather all my military before attacking it instead of sending them to their deaths one hy one.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Planet posted:

His only visible bad thoughts are from a recent siege, but he was always in a terrible mood even in peaceful times. Maybe because he's the mayor? Didn't know it was a stressful job, especially since he always gets good thoughts from meeting people.

He might be making mandates that you're ignoring - that'll tank his mood fast. Are you checking your (n)obles screen from time to time?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cat Planet posted:

I wish dwarven Paxil existed :(

Can't wait for Toady to add dwarven poultice antidepressents that create dependency, so when you run out of supplies to make them, they go into a rage

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What's the most current lazy-newb-pack equivalent?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The previous .03 is the latest with everything ready. The current version has DFHack working, but not officially so.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

scamtank posted:

The previous .03 is the latest with everything ready. The current version has DFHack working, but not officially so.

Is that this one because it says this might be buggy or something IDK http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Famethrowa posted:

Can't wait for Toady to add dwarven poultice antidepressents that create dependency, so when you run out of supplies to make them, they go into a rage

I'm a bit surprised that dwarves don't smoke, in Tolkien they're lighting up all day.