Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
To be fair Red Hawk being visually impressive but absolutely worthless and ineffectual actually is thematically appropriate to Ace himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gyges posted:

Let's not forget that said chump had a valid reason to hate humans after they almost kidnapped him and his friends to sell into slavery.

Or that the anime had Luffy run somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 ultra-marathons in order to make it to the walls of Marineford.
LAST TIME ON ONE PIECE:

"AAAAAACEEEEE-UUU!!!"
*pained grunting from Ace*

Today's episode:

"AAAAAACEEEEE-UUU!!!"

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF ONE PIECE:

"AAAAAACEEEEE-UUU!!!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

If anything after the timeskip is an indication, get ready for the fight when he activates Gear 4th to be extended as all hell in order to make it more "epic" by making it look like Donflamingos on even footing with him instead of being a savage beatdown similar to when Gear Second was debuted against Blueno and ruining the reveal as a result.

I have no absolutely no faith in Toei to do right by the show anymore and I just keep asking myself how did it end up this bad, because even though it had pacing issues and animation issues early on, the anime was always at least decent to good. Even the filler was decent. Now the show only has a few moments where I could ever consider it good and the rest is just terribly stretched out nonsense because Toei stopped giving a poo poo once One Piece got mega popular.

I've seen the Fishman Island arc, Law's final attack on Vergo that took an eternity to happen, the finale to Zoro vs Pica which took like half an episode, and the Franky vs Senor Pink fight which was mercifully spared from undergoing the same fate as the rest of the other fights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

Let's not forget that said chump had a valid reason to hate humans after they almost kidnapped him and his friends to sell into slavery.

Or that the anime had Luffy run somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 ultra-marathons in order to make it to the walls of Marineford.

God yes, I hated the Fishman Island arc because of the following reasons.

1. Extending the Hody vs Luffy fight and making Hody seem like a threat when in actuality he was mainly a tough sack of meat who's only strength was not going down and getting in a lucky bite. Making Hody fight against Luffy on an equal footing for a bit didn't chive at all with the theme of the arc.
2. Giving Hody a motivation for his racism, which ruined the loving point.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thunderbro posted:

To be fair Red Hawk being visually impressive but absolutely worthless and ineffectual actually is thematically appropriate to Ace himself

How so? Wasn't he taking down battleships with a single firefist?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jeez, a buncha buzzkills in this topic. :( I get your complaints, but a shred of optimism is that it's usually key moments like these (eg Luffy using Gigant Stamp on Magellan, Gigant Pistol on the Giant at Marineford) that Toei blows the animation budget on.

I'm betting the actual unveiling and some of the attacks in Gear Fourth will look really nice, not as optimistic for the actual pacing of the fight goes. The former is what I'm hyped for, been looking forward to seeing Gear Fourth in motion since the manga debut.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Ace is useless is a meme that I would like see gone.

Please stop making fun of Ace.

I like the Luffy Bros.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just got to the fishman arc in the anime and man is it dragging

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I remember checking on the anime thread (or maybe it was this thread?) a while back and someone had posted a video of Zoro vs Pica to show how awesome it had gotten. Was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Can't imagine why anyone would subject themselves to that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Professor Wayne posted:

I remember checking on the anime thread (or maybe it was this thread?) a while back and someone had posted a video of Zoro vs Pica to show how awesome it had gotten. Was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Can't imagine why anyone would subject themselves to that.

It was this thread. I remember it.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

RatHat posted:

Yeah that was cool. Then he

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Captain Invictus posted:

That was at least ten years ago, almost 15

Still counts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It doesn't in the context of current one piece and the argument that he only punches uggos

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My general assumption has been that after Enies Lobby was spent having Spandam beat the gently caress out of Robin repeatedly Oda just kind of decided he really didn't care for it much and started pulling back on that stuff quite a bit.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Jeez, a buncha buzzkills in this topic. :( I get your complaints, but a shred of optimism is that it's usually key moments like these (eg Luffy using Gigant Stamp on Magellan, Gigant Pistol on the Giant at Marineford) that Toei blows the animation budget on.

I'm betting the actual unveiling and some of the attacks in Gear Fourth will look really nice, not as optimistic for the actual pacing of the fight goes. The former is what I'm hyped for, been looking forward to seeing Gear Fourth in motion since the manga debut.
Yeah but what's consistent there is that's all pre timeskip. Post timeskip things just took a really bad turn for the worse and it was heading down a bad path to begin with. I can think of very few good moments that Toei have done post time-skip, with Laws flashback probably being the best thing they've done in a long time. They also made Franky vs Senor Pink pretty decent but moments like that seem to be getting rarer and rarer.

I just want them to understand what the hell it is they're animating. If they do do the Gear 4th fight as anything other than Luffy stomping Donflamingo into the ground, then it just makes the form look weak and not the big step forward it's supposed to be, plus it makes it look like Luffy basically wasted his time for two years. Things like Luffy struggling with Hody and Caesar or giving Hody motivation for his racism which was incredibly dumb in it's own right, but turning the Gear Four reveal into anything other than one sided stomp would just deflate alot of the impact behind the form reveal. If it even comes close to matching Luffy vs Blueno when that got animated I'll be satisfied but I'm not holding my breath

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, the anime during Enies Lobby was loving awesome. Aside Luffy vs Blueno, Luffy vs Rob Lucci was well animated too. I'll admit I watched the truncuated version of the fight that remove all the commercial break eyecatches and also removes cut away to other characters, but still I felt that the animation was drat good. Especially, when Luffy bust out Gear 2

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It does seem like they've been budgeting better; the Sabo vs Fujitora fight was extended well and really impressive to watch. Hopefully that's not where they blew their load.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The New World Davy Back Fight thing they just did "Nebulandia" was pretty great. But Foxy is always great.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'll look forward to One Piece Kai.

...In 20-30 years... :negative:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The anime isn't awful, we stop watching every 2-3 years and just binge the episodes in a row skipping the first 6 minutes of opening and flashback, makes it much easier to get through, even then stuff feels like it takes forever like Luffy spent what felt like 15 episodes standing there letting Bellamy hit him and cry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Yeah that was cool. Then he

you only really see him in a fight twice tho, yea? where he blows up the fleet and where he loses to the blackbeard pirates, which is likely gonna be the final enemy of the whole series. if you're gonna lose to someone, it may as well be the end boss

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I always figured the real value of Ace was the emotional connection he had to Luffy so I never minded that he didn't get a ton of heroic face time but that's just me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

you only really see him in a fight twice tho, yea? where he blows up the fleet and where he loses to the blackbeard pirates, which is likely gonna be the final enemy of the whole series. if you're gonna lose to someone, it may as well be the end boss

The post time-skip half of the story is heavily aping the arc structure of the pre time-skip story. The stuff pre time-skip's final arc was Luffy going backwards in his journey to fight the Marines at one of their headquarters in order to save someone and culminated in a huge battle where he lost something important in that battle against the Marines. If the post time-skip stuff follows that story structure (and it has so far), then it will end with him going from Raftel back to Mariejois (the headquarters of the World Government and where Reverie is held) to fight a massive battle against the Marines but this time with his crew instead of a surrogate one, including the extended fleet and managing to save whatever he's going there for and win instead of losing. Everything seems set up so far to culminate at that point, including the fact that the story has been mentioning Mariejois and an upcoming Reverie occasionally since Alabasta and the Ark that was setup in Fishman isn't far from there either, since Fishman Island is just under Mariejois.

Adding to that is that it doesn't make sense to have Blackbeard fought at or after Raftel, because the entire point the story has been setting up since basically the beginning is that Raftel is such a difficult place to get to and houses such mysterious secrets that anyone who gets there deserves to be the Pirate King. So if Luffy fights Blackbeard at Raftel, then it means Blackbeard deserved to be Pirate King too and not just Roger, Luffy (and maybe Whitebeard if he'd felt like it) - which makes it look less than the story has been setting it up to be all along. Especially when you consider that Blackbeard already lost to Whitebeard, since he needed help beating him and chickened out in front of him - an act that, within the confines of this story and it's rules makes him less than and undeserving.

It makes far more sense for Luffy to beat Blackbeard and then go to Raftel afterwards, having proven himself to the reader by beating Blackbeard. The act of getting there proves himself to the world as the Pirate King and gives more weight to him going back to Mariejois as the Pirate King with the full weight of his word and reputation on the line since it makes him the new Whitebeard for all intents, aping what Whitebeard did at Marineford. And I'd almost put money that the thing he'll be going to Raftel for is to save Sabo, his other brother after the Marines decide to execute him as the poster boy for the Revolution. Which would also bring Dragon in to things as another Whitebeard analogue (the old and somewhat fading leader going there to save his "son" and being upstaged by Luffy - successfully this time).

If you do it the other way around and have Luffy get close to Raftel and then turn around, head to Mariejois, defeat the Marines there and then go back to Raftel to fight Blackbeard either just before it geographically or at it then it not only breaks the structure the story has set itself up to follow, and not only makes things a lot more complicated by doubling back on itself but it means each of those battles has less impact. Luffy goes to Marineford not as the Pirate King and most famous pirate in the world, but as just one of several Yonkou and while there's still a huge battle that involves lots of different elements like the possible destruction of Fishman Island and loads of different fleets and so on it means that afterwards we instead go to a much smaller and much, much less epic battle that takes place solely between the core Strawhats and the Blackbeard pirates away from the eyes of the world where no-one is really watching or caring in setting. It doesn't matter how good that fight is, it's never going to match up the one that just came before it because there'll be so much less at stake (Luffy's dream might be more central to the story, but it isn't as big as the world) and it wouldn't have nearly as many elements in play at once - which is what epic basically means.

Worse yet would be to just not cover those events at all or only in an epilogue or through a series of vignettes like the cover page stories or something that some people have suggested over the years, since it means the main characters are never involved in those events at all and robs the viewer of the chance to really properly see them play out despite spending a good bit of time setting them all up as important. It makes those things seem unimportant and the world-building devoted to them seem wasted. It also means that Luffy is less than in the readers eye's since he played no part in such huge events.

There's also the fact that he'd be learning all the secrets that Raftel houses after he's already beaten the World Government in every way that matters, which renders those secrets and whatever stuff is housed at Raftel worthless. What point do they have when everything they oppose is already beaten? I'd also say it just doesn't work as well when we look at Blackbeard as a villain for the simple reason that the narrative has already undercut Blackbeard a couple of times. He's lost to Sengoku, he's shown cowardice in front of Whitebeard and needed help beating him and he's generally proven himself to be powerful, but not unbeatable. Beating him is less impressive than beating someone like Sakazuki, who the narrative has been building up by making him the one who killed Ace and who has yet to be shown as weak or fallible physically.

I honestly cannot imagine One Piece finishing at Raftel or only having an epilogue afterwards. There are so many things set up that work better if the Marines/World Government/Mariejois is the final arc and not Blackbeard/Raftel that it's impossible for me to see it ever going any other way. The only real reason there seems to be to end it at Raftel with Blackbeards defeat is because Luffy's dream is such a central element and I don't actually think that's true or enough to warrant it.

I think even Luffy has kind of said the same himself, because he's flat out said that he doesn't care about Raftel or the title of Pirate King beyond the fact that it means he's the most free person in the world. The dream of being Pirate King isn't that central to him, it's being free that he cares about and I don't think it's as central to the story as some people are making it either. The story has long since grown bigger than that and I cannot wait to see it conclude in a big, huge battle where the Pirate King kicks the World Government's poo poo in and saves his friends in front of the whole world. Oda has been quoted as saying that he wants the final part of the story to be the coolest bit and to blow people away, and Luffy doing all that sounds like it meets those requirements to me. It'll just take about another 20 years to get there :sigh:

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 30, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
20 years sounds rather pessimistic. I'm going to bet 8 years at the earliest.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I wish we had 20 more years of One Piece, but it'll have to end someday...

Though I suppose in today's market, a billion dollar franchise... will never die!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's precisely the point. He did dick all in the story and was an ancillary character with zero personality and is somehow consistently peoples favorite character because he's good looking. Sabo is even worse.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ryaomon posted:

That's precisely the point. He did dick all in the story and was an ancillary character with zero personality and is somehow consistently peoples favorite character because he's good looking. Sabo is even worse.

?????????????????????????????

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ryaomon posted:

Because he was a good character the few times he was in the story.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

tsob posted:

The post time-skip half of the story is heavily aping the arc structure of the pre time-skip story.

I really enjoyed reading this post, thank you. I've been following One Piece for like ten years now and have never really even begun to think about the end, or what it could be. Reading this theory really gets me excited for the next two decades!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It could be like Pokemon Red/Blue where Luffy arrives at Raftel just in time to nab the Pirate King title away from Blackbeard. :v:

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

RatHat posted:

naw man naw, he sucked. And that Gold Roger what a bum, all he's done was get executed 20 years before the story started what a loving idiot.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Yeah. The WG/Marines as final arc makes a lot more sense than it ending at Raftel.

Defeating Blackbeard is Luffy validating his personal dream and all that, but defeating the World Government as the pirate king is Luffy defending the dreams of the entire world. Defending the "era of dreams" itself, if you will, from the threat posed by the World Nobles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, people thinking some scrub tier douchebag is the big boss of a manga where the Marines killed Luffy's brother for the crime of existing have their head too far up the rear end of shounen cliches. Sakazuki and the World Nobles? Those are some real motherfuckers.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yeah, people thinking some scrub tier douchebag is the big boss of a manga where the Marines killed Luffy's brother for the crime of existing have their head too far up the rear end of shounen cliches. Sakazuki and the World Nobles? Those are some real motherfuckers.

Wanna see that world noble with the sword throw down.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

Wanna see that world noble with the sword throw down.

Zoro's dad?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://youtu.be/Ts-OGHHRNZ4?t=5m54s

A terrible look at a terrible looking game. It's important to note that this is the first official time we have had an Animated Gear 4 Luffy and they have added kabuki noises to his transformation and I hope that carrys over for the anime

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

On that note, I wonder how things with Akainu will play out in the end. I agree with tsob 100%, but for a long time I've thought Akainu was being built up as the final opponent of the series. I can't imagine the friction between him and the upper echelons of the world government going nowhere, though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RatHat posted:

I don't know that I'd call him a good character but he was certainly a cool character and in a story like this, that's really enough. He was a stand up guy who just wanted to help his friends and traveled around the world on his own using a jet surfboard and there's no getting away from the fact that's cool. Even his character design was straight up cool too. He's not just good looking, he's cool looking with the hat, the tattoos and so on. The knife was a big bit of it to me too, since I always wanted to know how he'd use it in a fight.

RuBisCO posted:

I really enjoyed reading this post, thank you. I've been following One Piece for like ten years now and have never really even begun to think about the end, or what it could be. Reading this theory really gets me excited for the next two decades!

Thank you. As much as I'm looking forward to the finale, the bit I'm really looking forward too is the proper meeting with Shanks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to break in to floods of tears when they finally do meet. And that it'll only double when Usopp meets his dad Yasopp. And then a huge rear end smile when they have a big party. And that fucker Blackbeard better not screw it up for Luffy - though I'm honestly kind of scared he will.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

On that note, I wonder how things with Akainu will play out in the end. I agree with tsob 100%, but for a long time I've thought Akainu was being built up as the final opponent of the series. I can't imagine the friction between him and the upper echelons of the world government going nowhere, though.

I'm thinking he might just off them and assuming direct control of the world government as a more authoritarian figure when they refuse to move on Luffy or the Revolutionaries at some point down the line. But yea, there's definitely something coming of that in future.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Yeah. The WG/Marines as final arc makes a lot more sense than it ending at Raftel.

Defeating Blackbeard is Luffy validating his personal dream and all that, but defeating the World Government as the pirate king is Luffy defending the dreams of the entire world. Defending the "era of dreams" itself, if you will, from the threat posed by the World Nobles.
The thing is... the Era of Dreams is coming. If Luffy doesn't bring it, Blackbeard will. All the pirates oppose the World Government, and any might ultimately defeat it. It doesn't take a Luffy to overthrow the government.

I mean, he will probably overthrow the government, and it's vital that he does, but that's not going to be the end. There's a big question after the World Government falls: what is the Era of Dreams going to look like? Blackbeard has one answer. The overthrow of the Government and the rise of the Pirates could be a dark and terrible thing. Generally speaking, one would kind of expect it to have dreadful consequences.

It's only if Luffy triumphs over Blackbeard and guides the new pirate era in a more compassionate direction that the defeat of Sakazuki and the World Nobles means anything.

This manga is called One Piece, not World Revolution. It will almost certainly feature the latter- the overthrow of the current order will be spectacular and the most important thing- but then the story will build to something even bigger and more world shattering: two pirates fighting over a legendary treasure in a fight that will have more weight than the destruction of the worlds most powerful institutions.

You're right to see how important destroying the World Government is, but you've missed how important Luffy's "personal dream" will be to the whole world.

(I feel like these days I only comment in this thread when this subject comes up, and I'm kind of repeating myself, but I hope it's worth saying all the same.)
(I should also add that it's pretty obvious that we don't know for sure how this is going to go, and I'm just going on about what I think would be neat... though it does make a lot of sense to me.)

Eiba fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Eiba posted:

The thing is... the Era of Dreams is coming. If Luffy doesn't bring it, Blackbeard will. All the pirates oppose the World Government, and any might ultimately defeat it. It doesn't take a Luffy to overthrow the government.

I mean, he will probably overthrow the government, and it's vital that he does, but that's not going to be the end. There's a big question after the World Government falls: what is the Era of Dreams going to look like? Blackbeard has one answer. The overthrow of the Government and the rise of the Pirates could be a dark and terrible thing. Generally speaking, one would kind of expect it to have dreadful consequences.

It's only if Luffy triumphs over Blackbeard and guides the new pirate era in a more compassionate direction that the defeat of Sakazuki and the World Nobles means anything.

This manga is called One Piece, not World Revolution. It will almost certainly feature the latter- the overthrow of the current order will be spectacular and the most important thing- but then the story will build to something even bigger and more world shattering: two pirates fighting over a legendary treasure in a fight that will have more weight than the destruction of the worlds most powerful institutions.

You're right to see how important destroying the World Government is, but you've missed how important Luffy's "personal dream" will be to the whole world.

(I feel like these days I only comment in this thread when this subject comes up, and I'm kind of repeating myself, but I hope it's worth saying all the same.)
(I should also add that it's pretty obvious that we don't know for sure how this is going to go, and I'm just going on about what I think would be neat... though it does make a lot of sense to me.)

What if 'One Piece' is a red herring like Gold Roger was and it's actually meant to be spelled as 'One Peace'?

"I never said how it was meant to be spelled!" says Gol D. Roger in a flashback to Raftel. :aaaaa:

E: On Raftel, there will be an absolutely massive treasure box studded in gold and gems. Inside, there will be nothing except a tiny poneglyph note that reads "The real treasure was inside your hearts... All along.~" Luffy cracks up laughing while Nami has an absolute conniption fit.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 31, 2015