Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

GokieKS posted:

I agree, and I own two of them. I just didn't think there would be a subreddit for one single mouse model.

I wonder if tech company marketing departments get a bonus if social media establishes a product site without their intervention. (Logitech Marketing probably established the subreddit. I'm not complaining, though: it really is a fantastic mouse.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any recommendations for a mouse bungee/cord holder? I'm probably gonna get a G502, and my current G5 is a weird braided cable that's been contorted six ways to Sunday, and it's falling off the side of my table instead of the back. The options seem ridiculously expensive (Razer etc).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

Any recommendations for a mouse bungee/cord holder? I'm probably gonna get a G502, and my current G5 is a weird braided cable that's been contorted six ways to Sunday, and it's falling off the side of my table instead of the back. The options seem ridiculously expensive (Razer etc).

blu-tack it to the side of your monitor OR blu-tack it to your desk OR get some extruded metal and a block of wood and whittle yourself one. mouse bungees are a racket.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I've used this for like 4 years now. It does what it says. Don't really have any complaints. FWIW, I'm a woodworker and I don't think I could make a better in 20 minutes so $6 is fine with me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The G602 works well enough that I'd never consider going back to a wired mouse

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

The G602 works well enough that I'd never consider going back to a wired mouse

I have had wireless mice for about a decade now and haven't noticed a problem with them. I know so real early models had some issues but any of the Logitech models I have ever used I couldn't tell between wired or wireless.

Let's be honest there isn't much data being transferred between the mouse and the computer so it isn't hard to have a super low latency connection there. Most of the work is done on the actual mouse itself for the most part.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Djarum posted:

I have had wireless mice for about a decade now and haven't noticed a problem with them. I know so real early models had some issues but any of the Logitech models I have ever used I couldn't tell between wired or wireless.

Let's be honest there isn't much data being transferred between the mouse and the computer so it isn't hard to have a super low latency connection there. Most of the work is done on the actual mouse itself for the most part.

are there like, benchmarks for mouse response time or anything??

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Mutation posted:

are there like, benchmarks for mouse response time or anything??

"Do I notice anything different?"

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Can't think of a much better benchmark than buying a mouse on Amazon and returning it if you didn't like it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Djarum posted:

I didn't have any problems with wireless mice, but I found I left it plugged in all the time anyway because batteries are more annoying than the cord. If the G502 was wireless I would have been just fine with it. :shrug:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I actually have both the 602 and the 502 there is a perceivable difference in the polling rates but you really have to be looking for it.

I doubt if a human can take advantage of it but I'm sure there's some teenagers on the internet who say you totally can. Because ~gaming~.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Djarum posted:

The thing is before the G602 you had choice of a wireless gaming mouse with very short battery life, or a wireless non-gaming mouse which did feel different.

The G602 easily lasts me a couple of months in performance mode, and takes normal AAs so I can just swap in a freshly charged set.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

dissss posted:

The G602 easily lasts me a couple of months in performance mode, and takes normal AAs so I can just swap in a freshly charged set.

Yeah better battery life would make a big difference. With my MX Performance Mouse it wasn't so much wireless as corded with a lovely USB charging cable.

Wireless vs corded is super low on the list of things I care about in a mouse. I'd take either to save $5 and care a whole lot more about size, button placement, weight, the scroll wheel, a thumb rest, not looking too silly, etc.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mouse guide:

1) Does it feel good in your hand? (Or wherever else you want to put it; we're not here to judge)
2) Does it give you wicked sick no-scope head shots?

If the answer to both of the above is 'yes' then you can stop looking.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

El Scotch posted:

Mouse guide:

1) Does it feel good in your hand? (Or wherever else you want to put it; we're not here to judge)
2) Does it give you wicked sick no-scope head shots?

If the answer to both of the above is 'yes' then you can stop looking.
You forgot:
3) Does it look like the loving spaceship from Flight of the Navigator?
4) Is it light up like Ginza?
5) Is DPI in excess of 10,000?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Do you want an Intellimouse with a new sensor? Look no further!

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Jizz Savior?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Mastigophoran posted:

Jizz Savior?
Yup, and it comes with a Ferrari and Jack Nicholson!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Rofl at Jack just showing up. Wish Sandler was in there too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I can't tell if the side flippers are actually functional buttons or not. That could actually be a really solid mouse considering it has ?stolen?borrowed? a very sensible design, and has a great sensor in it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I can't tell if the side flippers are actually functional buttons or not. That could actually be a really solid mouse considering it has ?stolen?borrowed? a very sensible design, and has a great sensor in it.
The design is very flawed. Lifting it is super awkward due to the shape. I say that as someone who used one well into 2012 and still has a working one.

It doesn't look like they made any improvement to that.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Is that actually a real thing? Moon runes make me unsure.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yes it is, and further investigation has shown at least one of the models to have a really stupid off-center lens position for no discernible reason, so literally everything about them might be funny

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Khorne posted:

The design is very flawed. Lifting it is super awkward due to the shape. I say that as someone who used one well into 2012 and still has a working one.

It doesn't look like they made any improvement to that.

I used them for a good ~8 years and never had any issues lifting it. I guess it depends on your grip style and fingers. :shrug:

Anyway, G502 Spectrum basically confirmed as a replacement for the old G502 as it costs the same price: http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...computers%2C221

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

betterinsodapop posted:

You forgot:
3) Does it look like the loving spaceship from Flight of the Navigator?
4) Is it light up like Ginza?
5) Is DPI in excess of 10,000?
Especially #3/4 is important to some people (me). Therefore I went with a SteelSeries Rival 300 - it's the least in-your-face mouse which also fulfilled my wishes of on-mouse storage of profiles and a good sensor. Also, what's the deal with DPIs in excess of say, 2000? I use 400 and 1200 respectively and somehow I cannot imagine any scenario where 6400DPI would be needed or desired?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Marinmo posted:

Also, what's the deal with DPIs in excess of say, 2000? I use 400 and 1200 respectively and somehow I cannot imagine any scenario where 6400DPI would be needed or desired?

Crazy people. Or 4K resolution.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Its more for if you have a sensor that can read that high of DPS , theory would state it is more reliable with a normal DPI with no lost data.

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero
Is there a consensus recommendation on hard mouses pads here? I've been using a func pad 1030 on the slick side for like 10 years but it recently got melted :(. I got a Steelseries QcK as a replacement and in comparison it feels like I am pulling my mouse through a pool of molasses.

I'm using a CM Storm Spawn if that matters. It seems to track much better on dark surfaces.

The funcpad seems unavailable for purchase ~ at least in god's chosen country USA. What hard mouse pad should I buy ? Or maybe just a slicker soft pad? Size isn't that important but the smaller the better, I use high DPI and need only a few inches to track across multiple screens at 1080. The slight upside I notice of the QcK is that it seems to be immune to dust and dirt. I had to wipe the func clean many times a day because the slightest speck felt like a boulder under my mouse.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GlobalHero06 posted:

Is there a consensus recommendation on hard mouses pads here? I've been using a func pad 1030 on the slick side for like 10 years but it recently got melted :(. I got a Steelseries QcK as a replacement and in comparison it feels like I am pulling my mouse through a pool of molasses.

I'm using a CM Storm Spawn if that matters. It seems to track much better on dark surfaces.

The funcpad seems unavailable for purchase ~ at least in god's chosen country USA. What hard mouse pad should I buy ? Or maybe just a slicker soft pad? Size isn't that important but the smaller the better, I use high DPI and need only a few inches to track across multiple screens at 1080. The slight upside I notice of the QcK is that it seems to be immune to dust and dirt. I had to wipe the func clean many times a day because the slightest speck felt like a boulder under my mouse.

Most are the same so it boils down to looks and size.

I have an Aorus as its black, 1000mm long and, has a very nice stiched bit around the edges so it wont fray.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Did anyone else have a problem with their Avior 7000 being jittery at higher pointer speed? It felt so slow at default, but I turned it to about 9 or 10 and it was so inaccurate. I finally set the DPI to be 1600 all across the board, instead of the 800/1600/8000 or whatever craziness was default. Set sensitivity to 5 and everything is perfect, like my old Deathadder it replaced.

Was it just me or were the defaults batshit insane?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you're talking about setting the Windows pointer speed, yeah don't ever mess with that. It just skips counts when you crank it up.

I use 400dpi so yeah the defaults are crazy, way too high :v:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

A lot of sensor/firmware implementations will indeed exhibit jitter above a certain high DPI threshold, so you probably weren't imagining it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just bought a G502 to replace my G9x, and it just feels weird. It frequently moves after I let go of the mouse, and I feel like I'm holding it at an angle compared to the G9x. Any recommendations to alleviate either of these?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

hooah posted:

I just bought a G502 to replace my G9x, and it just feels weird. It frequently moves after I let go of the mouse, and I feel like I'm holding it at an angle compared to the G9x. Any recommendations to alleviate either of these?

Try putting something heavy on the cord to counteract the weight of it as its a pretty heavy braided cord.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ColHannibal posted:

Try putting something heavy on the cord to counteract the weight of it as its a pretty heavy braided cord.

I don't understand. Wouldn't weighting the cord more exacerbate the issue?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If your cord gets too bunched up or too taut it might exert some force onto the mouse itself when you let go of it, which could cause what you're seeing. It helps to get your cord setup cleanly using some wire management of some sort if that's the case (I just use generic cheapo wire clips), takes a little tweaking to get the right amount of slack sometimes.

If the physical mouse is staying perfectly still but the cursor is moving on the screen, could be either another rogue input device (make sure you don't have any other devices that could be doing it), or a defective sensor.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems to be the cord rather than the sensor; I'll look into some cord management stuff, thanks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The PWM3366 doesn't drift or jitter at all, that's absolutely a matter of cord tension.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Proteus Spectrum up for Preorder now: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g502-proteus-spectrum-rgb-gaming-mouse
Also on Amazon and apparently seen at Bestbuy already.

Logitech website claims the weight is the same as the old model so maybe don't get excited about that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Still has the dumb metal scroll wheel.