Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In ancient Rome the only women who wore togas were prostitutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hitler was a big fan of Disney. He even drew fanart.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Among Hitler's favorite reading material was Henry Ford's The International Jew, pulp westerns by Karl May and Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Among Hitler's favorite reading material was Henry Ford's The International Jew, pulp westerns by Karl May and Uncle Tom's Cabin.

One of his favorite movies were the Great Dictator. it's even speculated that he grew his moustache to resemble Chaplin's.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This Hitler guy sounds pretty cool

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not only was Stalin good with kids, he was also good with mankind.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

This Hitler guy sounds pretty cool

Don't be so sure about that. He was, after all, a vegetarian.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Ugh, I bet he was one of those crazy obsessive dog lovers too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He also dated a Kristen Schaal lookin' chick.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Ugh, I bet he was one of those crazy obsessive dog lovers too.

He adopted a stray dog during WW I. He called him Foxl and was heartbroken when someone stole him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

This monster is not birthed from the half crazed mind of a Deviant Art Steampunk cosplayer nor is it a weapon of a rogue from some long forgotten Final Fantasy game. No, ladies and gentlemen I present to you one of many semi novelty crude firearms of the gun powder era.

Meet the Nock gun. Invented by "Crazy Bugger" James Wilson in 1779 this monster volley gun is basically seven muskets mashed together designed really to ensure a person or group of people as well as the operater really regret being shot at by it. Problem was, unless you are built like a brick shithouse firing this monster was going to injure you slightly and was quite a fire hazard as well.

Sort of a bigger issue for a weapon designed for boarding actions in the Royal Navy. And no, this wasn't some crazy assed puckle gun prototype which never saw the light of day. Several hundred saw service in the early Napoleonic Wars and it stuck around long enough for cut down more easier to use version to be produced and used. It still doesn't look as silly as the Duckfoot Flintlock pistol though, which I am personally sure was the inspiration for this monster.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Pope Benedict XVI was both a member of Hitler Youth as a child and the Nazi military. Some people criticized him for that but really he was forced to. Membership in Hitler Youth was mandatory at the time and he was conscripted twice. He also deserted near the end of the war and was a POW for a brief time. After it was all said and done he went home and join the seminary. Apparently all he ever really wanted in life was to be a priest and didn't like the Nazis all that much.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The unfun fact is that a bunch of people would read that post and come away with THE POPE IS A NAZI

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

The unfun fact is that a bunch of people would read that post and come away with THE POPE IS A NAZI

Technically he was for a bit.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
We're all a little nazi from time to time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Don't you go making fun of my ex-nazi ex-pope :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love my dead gay pope.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pope Benedict XVI was both a member of Hitler Youth as a child and the Nazi military. Some people criticized him for that but really he was forced to. Membership in Hitler Youth was mandatory at the time and he was conscripted twice. He also deserted near the end of the war and was a POW for a brief time. After it was all said and done he went home and join the seminary. Apparently all he ever really wanted in life was to be a priest and didn't like the Nazis all that much.

I did nazi that coming

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He wasn't a full blown Nazi, but when you look at his record as the head of the Inquisition, he was still a regressive far-right rear end in a top hat who loved to scream about the dangers of Marxism and working with people of other faiths.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He wasn't a full blown Nazi, but when you look at his record as the head of the Inquisition, he was still a regressive far-right rear end in a top hat who loved to scream about the dangers of Marxism and working with people of other faiths.

And when you looked at his face you saw the emperor from star wars.

Good grief that dude was creepy looking. Covering up for pedophiles just seemed like a natural fit for the guy.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

This monster is not birthed from the half crazed mind of a Deviant Art Steampunk cosplayer nor is it a weapon of a rogue from some long forgotten Final Fantasy game. No, ladies and gentlemen I present to you one of many semi novelty crude firearms of the gun powder era.

Meet the Nock gun. Invented by "Crazy Bugger" James Wilson in 1779 this monster volley gun is basically seven muskets mashed together designed really to ensure a person or group of people as well as the operater really regret being shot at by it. Problem was, unless you are built like a brick shithouse firing this monster was going to injure you slightly and was quite a fire hazard as well.

Sort of a bigger issue for a weapon designed for boarding actions in the Royal Navy. And no, this wasn't some crazy assed puckle gun prototype which never saw the light of day. Several hundred saw service in the early Napoleonic Wars and it stuck around long enough for cut down more easier to use version to be produced and used. It still doesn't look as silly as the Duckfoot Flintlock pistol though, which I am personally sure was the inspiration for this monster.

Is that the gun used by the Irish dude in the Sharpe tv-series? I should rewatch that show.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He was one of the most brilliant theologians of the past 50 years, and the chief doctrinaire of John Paul II. It's disgustingly hypocritical when people praise JPII and condemn Benedict, who was the author of his policies, in the same breath.

He failed to address political problems of the Church, but really, those were never part of his focus, and meshing the papacy with real world problems is a problem that goes way back and only culminated during Benedict's pontificate without him being a major culprit.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jan 1, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Bundle of Keys posted:

Is that the gun used by the Irish dude in the Sharpe tv-series? I should rewatch that show.

Yep.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're both the head of a corrupt, rich, archaic idiology that has done more harm than good in its thousands of years of existence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're both the head of a corrupt, rich, archaic idiology that has done more harm than good in its thousands of years of existence.

- Dumb pop history poster.

"Wrap it up, religiofailures"

VVVV
Right, retards don't have the faculty to be wrong.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Jan 1, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cute, but I'm not wrong.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Opposition to and suppression of Liberation Theology is one of if not the biggest failure of the Catholic Church in recent history.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Opposition to and suppression of Liberation Theology is one of if not the biggest failure of the Catholic Church in recent history.

Catholicism has emraced the neo-tomist theology of integral humanism, which has a vastly superior record to liberation theology in terms of protecting the poor and working classes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you were a goy and weren't already in a concentration camp for dissidents by the start of the war you were probably at least a bit of a Nazi. Like Naziish.

Unless you were in the resistance, secretly saving Jews or part of of one of those plots to assassinate Hitler. In the last case you might even still be a bit of a Nazi.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Jan 1, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you were a goy and weren't already in a concentration camp for dissidents by the start of the war you were probably at least a bit of a Nazi. Like Naziish.

Unless you were in the resistance, secretly saving Jews or part of of one of those plots to assassinate Hitler. In the last case you might even still be a bit of a Nazi.

In my hometown, some of the fishermen helped to save WW2 fugitive Jews by shipping them to Sweden in the night/early mornings. A little known fact is that the fugitives paid money; I have no idea what amounts, supposedly it was to cover a sort of "life insurance" if the fisherman was arrested by the Gestapo and possibly executed.

Anyway, one of those same fishermen built a pretty grand house in the years shortly after the war, which quickly gained the nickname "The Synagogue" – ie the story was that he overcharged the Jews to become rich. The man who built that house committed suicide in the 1970s I think. Make of that what you will.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The 70s were a depressing time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I know. The Romans invent distillation, Anacletus becomes the third Pope, and Mithraism starts to spread throughout the Empire.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Think about it for a second; would you let your children play with Stalin?

Thank you Stalin for a happy childhood!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hogge Wild posted:

If we count absolute monarchs as dictators the gooniest one was Charles XII of Sweden. He was a highly intelligent and belligerent celibate autist who hosed things up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XII_of_Sweden

So a perfect fit for DnD then. :v:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

It was mentioned earlier in this thread but I'm going to reiterate:
The Fall of Constantinople was arguably the most interesting event in all of human history.

HIGHLIGHTS FROM WHAT GEORGE R R MARTIN STOLE THE ENTIRETY HIS IDEAS FROM:

ACT I
- Weakened from hundreds of years of decline, the Byzantines employ an extremely convoluted system of bribery and extortion against all of their neighbors to keep the Turks in line.
- Emperor Constantine sends assassins to kill a baby Mehmet. They fail.
- Mehmet is famously pissed. He rebounds to destroy his siblings' armies, as well as those of pretender kings.

ACT II
- He's not done. He starts to bribe all the sorts of people the Byzantines used to count as allies.
- Successful, his army builds a huge fortress upriver of Constantinople on the Turkish side, preventing any resupply from the Black Sea.
- He then builds another on the Byzantine side. With world famous cannons. Nobody thought they would work, so some Italian corsair tried to run the blockade. The entire city watched the fortress blow him out of the water. No captains tried to run the blockade afterwards.
- With a giant fleet in the Mediterranean, the fortresses effectively blockaded Constantinople.

ACT III
- Mehmet recruits experts from all over the known world to create weapons that are capable of taking the legendary walls of Constantinople.
- Emperor Constantine does the same. He has more money, so he gets the best talent. He recruits some extremely charismatic general from Genoa who is so cool that everybody loves him or something. I don't know. Big dick maybe.
- However, the Turks had their Janissary armies, a Spartan-like force of kids who were kidnapped at birth from rival tribes and then taught how to fight or something. But they weren't just cannon-fodder in any sense of the word. These guys had proto-rifles and scimitars and all sorts of serious mean poo poo that will considerably gently caress you up. They were professional soldiers that completely dominated the battlefield and had no regional equal.
- Conversely, the Byzantines had nothing like their ancient Roman forces. They were full of mercenaries from Rus and the Nordic countries and loving Ireland and poo poo. Basically average, but besieged and starving. They also had families in the city, whereas their Turkish invaders were safely campaigning.

*SECRET BONUS ACT*
- A mysterious figure from Europe appears in Constantinople. He offers his services to the Emperor, claiming the secret to cannon-smithing and possessing the knowledge of how to create massive weapons of bombardment. He asks for money. The Byzantines, having already hired a bunch of dudes, couldn't afford him.
- He leaves Constantinople. He enters Turkey. Mehmet can afford his services.
- The smith creates hereto unknown weapons capable of demolishing the walls of the city as if they were paper.
- The cannons are so powerful and cool that some of them still exist. They were so heavy that each required a team of hundreds of men to maintain.
- HOWEVER its rumored this famous weapon smith also died when one of the cannons exploded. Records, being spotty as best, don't help. Oh well!

ACT IV
- Mehmet marches on Constantinople. With the enormous walls, any attack will certainly be difficult.
- Constantinople's harbor is protected by a giant sea chain that prevented any unauthorized entry, and so the inner downtown district is completely protected from any sea assault. Most residents congregate there, as well as store the city's provisions.
- Mehmet says gently caress that. He orders his army to chop down like, ten billion trees. They split them in half, and coat them with fat and oil.
- His army levels the land between the inner harbor and the sea.
- They lay the split logs flat all along a 1km isthmus, circumventing the sea chain altogether.
- Triumphantly, Mehmet literally slides dozens of ships across this log-bridge into the inner harbor. They proceed to bombard the rich downtown district with impunity.

ACT V
- The Byzantine's famous Genoese general catches a bolt while up on the wall.
- He has to be evacuated, but the location of his injury means he has to be stretchered past hundreds of troops.
- Seeing their swarthy Italian hero on his deathbed, the troops lose morale and flee.
- Emperor Constantine knows his city is lost. He casts away his imperial regalia and takes up a sword. Telling his family that he will return when Constantinople is rescued, he ventures out into the streets.
- Constantine dies, anonymous on the battlefield.

And that's why it's called Istanbul.

GolfHole has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Jan 1, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FreudianSlippers posted:

What's certainly true is that a lot of the Germans who wanted to kill Hitler's main complaint was that he was losing the war, and (to be fair) some religious objections to actually doing the Holocaust as opposed to merely making GBS threads on and extorting the Jews and Gypsies and so on. Many of them wanted to continue the war in the East, partly of course to protect Prussia but also in the hopes that the UK and US would join up with them to fight the real enemy, :ussr:

Wasn't there some last ditch hope of Goebbels and co. involving Roosevelt dying which was actually rooted in some German history, where an enemy monarch died or got iced and was replaced by his heir who was much, much friendlier to Germany?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fun fact about the walls of Constantinople: In 447 an earthquake destroyed large parts of the wall and since Attila the Hun were a-coming Theodosius II needed to fix the walls in a hurry. Luckily for him chariot racing was popular in Constantinople and there were two major groups of supporters, the blues and greens. So he arranged a little contest to see which team could repair the wall fastest. This tactic worked and the wall was repaired in 60 days.

In 1452 a guy named Orban offered Constantine XI to build a massive canon to protect the city. The emperor couldn't afford it and Orban went to Mehmet who could not only afford to build Orban's massive canon but several other canons as well.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mans posted:

Not only was Stalin good with kids, he was also good with mankind.

Try a bit harder, will you? The dude literally left his kid to die in a prison camp, and his wife shot herself in the head after he humiliated her repeatedly in front of guests.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tias posted:

Try a bit harder, will you? The dude literally left his kid to die in a prison camp, and his wife shot herself in the head after he humiliated her repeatedly in front of guests.

how about you stick to oi music and leave politics to the grown ups? Heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Baracula posted:

how about you stick to oi music and leave politics to the grown ups? Heh

How about you stick to the subject instead of embarassing yourself?