Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jeb on the radio just earlier about increasing staff and shifting TV ad purchases:

"Well, the good news is that people have low expectations for me, and I'm going to beat those expectations. I'm looking forward to New Hampshire."

:lol:

I'm filled with excitement!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/crime/2015/12/21/old-man-wanted-more-than-money-branson-bank-robbery/76070266/

A 77 year old with severe health problems that was living in squalor and rejected by a VA hospital in Missouri woke up and robbed a bank and turned himself in so he could go to prison and get healthcare.

Solution: no more health care for prisoners

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's the Christian thing to do.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/crime/2015/12/21/old-man-wanted-more-than-money-branson-bank-robbery/76070266/

A 77 year old with severe health problems that was living in squalor and rejected by a VA hospital in Missouri woke up and robbed a bank and turned himself in so he could go to prison and get healthcare.

The joke will be on him when he winds up in worse squalor in some private prison shithole.

:smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hate our health care system and I also hate this bullshit rhetoric that comes from the news stations whenever the VA is mentioned. If this guy really wanted to rob a bank just for the healthcare he would have immediately turned himself in, he wouldn't have paid for his rent, and he wouldn't have tried to sell his place.

gently caress this guy for trying to use the VA as a scapegoat.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

Corollary: immediate execution by bullet to back of the head after show trial. You don't need healthcare when you're dead. :unsmigghh:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 31, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ratbert90 posted:

I hate our health care system and I also hate this bullshit rhetoric that comes from the news stations whenever the VA is mentioned. If this guy really wanted to rob a bank just for the healthcare he would have immediately turned himself in, he wouldn't have paid for his rent, and he wouldn't have tried to sell his place.

gently caress this guy trying to use the VA as a scapegoat.

Yeah, if the guy had stolen a much smaller amount, $100 or something and turned himself in the same day, I'd find him much more sympathetic.

That said, it doesn't sound like the guy is 100% all there :smith:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Jeb on the radio just earlier about increasing staff and shifting TV ad purchases:

"Well, the good news is that people have low expectations for me, and I'm going to beat those expectations. I'm looking forward to New Hampshire."

:lol:

I'm filled with excitement!!

The Bush campaign in 7 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flv5nWZgII

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

That's pretty much already the case. THe standards are so low for prisoner health care that it's more about looking like they're giving care than it is about actually giving it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's pretty much already the case. THe standards are so low for prisoner health care that it's more about looking like they're giving care than it is about actually giving it.

There's also a big push for Medical probation :smithicide:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Now hang on just a minute.

quote:

Kristie Breshears, public information officer at the U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, said Cyrus' case is not totally unique.

"I don’t want to give the misconception that there are all of these guys lined up to go to prison to get free health care," Breshears said. "But do I believe it exists? Absolutely."

Breshears said the health care in the federal prison system is equivalent to anything offered in a private hospital.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, if the guy had stolen a much smaller amount, $100 or something and turned himself in the same day, I'd find him much more sympathetic.

That said, it doesn't sound like the guy is 100% all there :smith:

Yeah, from what it sounds like from the interviews of people around him, he definitely seems like he was a few birds short of a nest. It's more an indictment of a lack of proper mental health services, in addition to everything else that was wrong with the poor guy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ratbert90 posted:

There's also a big push for Medical probation :smithicide:

The hell? So we'd rather let prisoners out earlier rather than provide healthcare? :psyduck: are we really that spiteful of a country to our own citizens?

E: Jesus, it's worse than I thought.

"These people are so crippled they are physically incapable of posing a threat to anyone, just throw them out on the street early. They'll be corpses soon anyways, so who gives a poo poo?" :smithicide:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 31, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The hell? So we'd rather let prisoners out earlier rather than provide healthcare? :psyduck: are we really that spiteful of a country to our own citizens?

I don't think you understand, those are PRISONERS, they deserve to be raped in prison. Their not people!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
What with the rhetorical questions?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I mean republicans cheering letting uninsured people die and even the candidates not knowing how to react to that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

Now hang on just a minute.

I'd agree. The health care in prisons is the same as the health care a convicted felon with no means of payment would receive in a private hospital.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Letting people die of diseases that were cured in the 19th century is the American thing to do.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Guys guys guys guys:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/31/twitter-reinstates-politwoops/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gravel Gravy posted:

What with the rhetorical questions?

To indicate my continued shock and disbelief at the new surprises our society manages to come up when I should be too jaded for that already.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Teflon Don posted:

Letting people die of diseases that were cured in the 19th century is the American thing to do.

Not just America, scurvy rates among children in some neighborhoods in London are higher than sub-Saharan Africa.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Not just America, scurvy rates among children in some neighborhoods in London are higher than sub-Saharan Africa.

That's what they get for switching to denatured lime juice

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

To indicate my continued shock and disbelief at the new surprises our society manages to come up when I should be too jaded for that already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F56cfSyWOkI

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He was probably rejected by the VA because he was never a veteran. All the article says for sure is that he claimed to be, but he claimed a lot of things and nobody really believed it.

Depending on what news he listens to he probably does think prison healthcare is like what the Trumps of the world get. Compared to what he was likely getting before it probably is going to feel like the red carpet treatment.

My favorite part was probably the judge chiding the guy about his pride when realistically the truly prideful people around his age/circumstances overwhelmingly just commit suicide. It's like Boomer Bingo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

He was probably rejected by the VA because he was never a veteran. All the article says for sure is that he claimed to be, but he claimed a lot of things and nobody really believed it.

Depending on what news he listens to he probably does think prison healthcare is like what the Trumps of the world get. Compared to what he was likely getting before it probably is going to feel like the red carpet treatment.

My favorite part was probably the judge chiding the guy about his pride when realistically the truly prideful people around his age/circumstances overwhelmingly just commit suicide. It's like Boomer Bingo

Pretty much everyone in that story is a walking, talking example of why America sucks

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Another reason Trump would have problems in the primary

quote:

Mr. Trump’s strength among traditionally Democratic voters could pose some problems for his campaign. Many states bar voters registered with the other party from participating in partisan primaries. Other states go further, not allowing unaffiliated voters to vote in a primary; in the G.O.P. race, for example, that would mean restricting the electorate to those registered as Republicans — one of Mr. Trump’s weakest groups. This group of states includes many favorable to Mr. Trump, like Florida, Pennsylvania and New York.

The article points out other reasons Trump support doesn't translate directly into primary success (akin to Bernie with respect to turnout of specific cohorts, etc.) and also goes into more detail about these registered Democrat Trump voters.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Oh yeah, this thing, the moment where part of my soul died.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

icantfindaname posted:

Pretty much everyone in that story is a walking, talking example of why America sucks

Counterpoint: This guy is living the dream and is awesome:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The town that old man lived in and is being reported from has a huge Federal Prisons hospital in it, so that probably helped plant the idea in his head.

Loved the judge telling him that pride is why he couldn't get health care though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

But we are talking about governmental institutions I think, not neighborhoods.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Howard Dean would have been a great president and I just got a little sad about it.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

3rd UU in the thread, somebody get a coffee pot going. :hf:

It varies a bit by congregation but yeah, I guess if you want to hang out with old white people who aren't hateful assholes, or at least confirm their existence, a UU church is a good place to start. The congregations with higher percentages of pagans and deists/pantheists tend to be a little more fun.

UU introduced me to D&D and being open about my sexuality, I would recommend it to anyone looking for religion that isn't filled with crazy wingnuts, Northern California and Nevada have a great combined youth community. :hf:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

No Butt Stuff posted:

Loved the judge telling him that pride is why he couldn't get health care though.

"As a person who went to law school and likely have a family full of successful people who are financially stable, I don't see why you don't just reach out to your family and ask for some money. It's probably pride."
:goonsay:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

Echoing that them including the VA line without context is hosed up and reinforces the idea that the VA is a shitshow. That system has gone a long way to help the tens of millions of people that they're responsible for and issues are far fewer than they were under Bush and Clinton.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ali – Barbara Boxer, Democratic Senator, California
Frazier – Dianne Feinstein, Democratic Senator, California

god drat it, george

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

its_happening.gif

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Amusing, coming on the heels of Carson publicly flirting with the idea of firing at least one of them and deciding against.

e: Costa's Twitter is hilarious right now

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 31, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Obama and Seinfeld took Biden's car out for a spin :3:

mcclay posted:

UU introduced me to D&D and being open about my sexuality, I would recommend it to anyone looking for religion that isn't filled with crazy wingnuts, Northern California and Nevada have a great combined youth community. :hf:

I've heard of Unitarianism but never looked too deeply into it. It sounds like all the positive aspects of liberal religious traditions (community, charity, social justice, etc.) with none of the judgmental or supernatural bullshit.

Which is why Texas tried to strip them of their tax exempt status a while back (and failed, thankfully).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Obama and Seinfeld took Biden's car out for a spin :3:

1960's Corvette is about 5 levels of classier than 80's Trans Am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
WaPo article on the shakeup: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/12/31/ben-carsons-top-staffers-resign-in-a-delayed-campaign-shake-up/

quote:

The breaking point came two days before Christmas when Williams and Carson decided together to invite The Washington Post and The Associated Press to Carson’s Maryland mansion to talk about a staff shake-up—without Bennett’s knowledge. Bennett felt burned by Carson and that Williams was taking control of the campaign even though he was not formally part of it.
Reached at his northern Virginia office today, Williams said he heard about the shake-up on Twitter, not from Carson himself. He declined to comment on how money had been spent, and said he would refrain from further judgment on how Bennett and Watts performed.

Heh.

Ben Carson, speaking of Armstrong Williams a month ago posted:

He has nothing to do with the campaign. Nothing.

Also, lol

• Locked thread