Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Are you planning on posting the files for that anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Are you planning on posting the files for that anywhere?
If it fits and works, I suppose I can slap them on Thingiverse.

insta posted:

Whenever I have funky mounts like that, I just order the part from Shapeways. It's like $20-30 and just gets the job done perfectly and forever.

I say this as a guy who runs a 3D printing service.
I might just do that for the final final parts. I'm just surprised to hear that it's so problematic, given that I've seen plenty of PLA motormounts in bootstrapped printers (--edit: Probably were ABS).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 26, 2015

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I ended up having quite a bit of fun with colorprint:

I think I've made a couple hundred snowflakes with my printer over the past month. Still working fantastic for ~$250 but I probably should have built a Prusa i3 from individually sourced parts as I'm going through different upgrades (now printing different extruder config & bought Mk3 heated bed) to continue to increase print quality.

Christmas gift-giving treated me well: I now have 10 rolls of filament and a sampler pack to run through!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Combat Pretzel posted:

Behold! My drop-in holder for sticking the E3D V6 into the Makerbot2 / Flashforge Creator Pro clone from CTC.

Can't wait for running into glaring design oversights once it has been printed.

That is awesome dude. How's it work?

Painted a 3D printed Catan set for xmas gift:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mofabio posted:

Painted a 3D printed Catan set for xmas gift:

*tim and Eric mind blown gif*

That's really friggin cool, great job.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a standard plan as far as mounting hardware when putting an e3d v6 on a rostock max v2? That was the one part of my plan I apparently didn't account for, that the e3d and the stock hot end mount differently enough that I need some other solution, apparently. Am I going to have to go through the messy process of prepping/installing the stock hot end just so I can print a part so I can install the e3d? :(

Otherwise, wooooooo

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 27, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bad Munki posted:

Is there a standard plan as far as mounting hardware when putting an e3d v6 on a rostock max v2? That was the one part of my plan I apparently didn't account for, that the e3d and the stock hot end mount differently enough that I need some other solution, apparently. Am I going to have to go through the messy process of prepping/installing the stock hot end just so I can print a part so I can install the e3d? :(

Otherwise, wooooooo

Looks like you may have the same problem I did where you can't screw the PTFE tube coupler into the hotend because it doesn't have threading. I have a Prusa so I could print a flat mount that fit onto the existing hotend carriage, which I screwed the tube coupler into. Maybe if you post a close up of the part that holds the hotend there's a place you could mount a similar part?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 27, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The bowden tube clamp screws into the stock heatsink with a brass holder on mine?

Yeah, I installed the stock hotend then printed an E3D v6 specific one. Well, printed one then used it for a few months before I realized it was crap then printed a different, better one.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:779135

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Munki posted:

Otherwise, wooooooo

As some who is mad keen on getting a Rostock in the next few months can you given us some feed back on how well it prints and the ease of use you have with it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those carriages on the rostock look different than mine. Are they aftermarket?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They're the stock carriages as of October, I think it is. And I'll definitely post pics and results once it's actually printing. :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mofabio posted:

Don't know yet. I'm reprinting the part with the spire in PETG and in multiple copies (in case it melts away), and am still waiting for heatsinks to arrive to keep the stepper motor down in temperature.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Michymech posted:

As some who is mad keen on getting a Rostock in the next few months can you given us some feed back on how well it prints and the ease of use you have with it?

I have a max, but I went straight for an E3Dlite on the install. The calibration process was needlessly complicated (why is the firmware so far off on DIAGONAL_ROD_LENGTH? Everything is injection molded!), but I got it working well. I couldn't get a perfectly level first layer, so I took it halfway apart and put an inductive probe on, then ran an auto calibration script. Now nothing works and its sitting in the corner in time out.

My advice: build it stock, leave it the gently caress alone, use a fat first layer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There is a new calibration script that goes along with the injection molded carriages and ball-cup arms, but it can be used with the older style, too. It's way better than the one they used for years and I used last year, and doesn't require mattercontrol.

I remember having to set my arm length to 269 or something like that (acetate bearing arms), and then gently caress a lot with "horizontal radius" or whatever that variable is called that "bows" the bed up and down in the middle.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Michymech posted:

I'm very happy with mine. Stock except Astrosyns dampers on the stepper motors.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm very happy with mine. Stock except Astrosyns dampers on the stepper motors.

Whats the largest print that you have done on it and got any photos of finished prints you can show off, also how much of a difference does the Astrosyns dampers make?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It is loud as gently caress without the dampers. They are cheap and easy to install while building it. Do it.

I will look into the new script, sounds helpful.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Looks close enough. I hope postal services hurry the gently caress up for my heatsinks.

Also, the wooden box of my CTC starts creaking with faster moves. I noticed some of the nuts start burying themselves into the wood. I guess I have to get crackin' on the aluminium frame.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Looks close enough. I hope postal services hurry the gently caress up for my heatsinks.

Also, the wooden box of my CTC starts creaking with faster moves. I noticed some of the nuts start burying themselves into the wood. I guess I have to get crackin' on the aluminium frame.

Kiiinda late to the game, but 2 points of support for the stepper might not be enough, IIRC it was one of the issues Wade fixed at some point, you might want to rotate it 90 degrees and do 3 attachment points.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The stock rostock hot end is a freakin' mess. I mean, like, by design. Everything else about the rig looks great, but that, it looks like it was designed by a three year old who has just gotten his hands on the glue and tape. With that in mind, I would really rather find a way to get the e3d working well enough to print a nicer mount. So with that in mind:

I have some plastic that, it turns out, is precisely one-third the thickness of the shaft between the two mounting collars. I mean, it's so perfect, that if I stack three layers up, they actually click into place. So I'm thinking about cutting three of these on my cnc router:

They would each slip onto the shaft between the two collars, each one rotated 120° from the previous, and the mounting screws going through all three and then through the original standoffs and the effector plate. Basically replacing the mounting plate the original hot end would thread onto with this three-fold plate that clamps the hot end from three sides.

Does this seem like a patently bad idea? Again, the goal is only to bootstrap directly to the e3d so I can skip what I feel is a really badly designed and messy part/process, and then once it's more or less working, immediately printing a new, proper mount.

Any idea how hot the metal will get at the very top there? The material in question is acrylic, not sure what sort of temps I'd be looking at at the mount point, although since the printed mount would be grabbing it in the same place as well, I can't imagine it'd be THAT hot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Could you post a pic of your entire rig? Why does it need to be so wide? What does that snorkel thing do?

I'm trying to find a local waterjet guy to cut me an aluminum i3 frame widened to 300x400mm utilizing two 300x200mm heated beds. Nobody will send me a quote after I send the .DWG files. Sad life.

EDIT: ahhhhh, you've got a dual extruder. That's awesome and I am jealous. How come you're moving away from that? I am currently trying to figure out how to rig up my board to do dual extrusion. I have one plug for an extruder but TWO for the Z motors, so I am thinking I can rig up both Z motors to the same stepper driver since it moves so little, then tell Z2 to be E2 in the firmware (or E1, since the first one is E0) But I have never installed firmware onto my board, it has always worked really well from day 1 and I am scared to screw up the firmware math and never have it work right again. Also I am unsure if this can even be done, but I've found some forum threads on other boards where people do the same thing.

I want dual extruders so I can print HIPS and whatever else. Dissolvable support structures. Does anybody here do that?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 28, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

deimos posted:

Kiiinda late to the game, but 2 points of support for the stepper might not be enough, IIRC it was one of the issues Wade fixed at some point, you might want to rotate it 90 degrees and do 3 attachment points.
There's sort of a sill on the back for the stepper to sit on. I wanted to reuse the existing gear thingy drive block of the CTC, leaving me only with 2 screw holes.

--edit: I suppose I could integrate a springloaded drive block into it. I mean, I have a new E3D Hobb Goblin around here, too.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Could you post a pic of your entire rig? Why does it need to be so wide? What does that snorkel thing do?
It's so wide because it needs to fit in the existing cradle of the dual extruder. The snorkle is to attach a ziptie for the cabling.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 28, 2015

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

The stock rostock hot end is a freakin' mess. I mean, like, by design. Everything else about the rig looks great, but that, it looks like it was designed by a three year old who has just gotten his hands on the glue and tape. With that in mind, I would really rather find a way to get the e3d working well enough to print a nicer mount. So with that in mind:

I have some plastic that, it turns out, is precisely one-third the thickness of the shaft between the two mounting collars. I mean, it's so perfect, that if I stack three layers up, they actually click into place. So I'm thinking about cutting three of these on my cnc router:

They would each slip onto the shaft between the two collars, each one rotated 120° from the previous, and the mounting screws going through all three and then through the original standoffs and the effector plate. Basically replacing the mounting plate the original hot end would thread onto with this three-fold plate that clamps the hot end from three sides.

Does this seem like a patently bad idea? Again, the goal is only to bootstrap directly to the e3d so I can skip what I feel is a really badly designed and messy part/process, and then once it's more or less working, immediately printing a new, proper mount.

Any idea how hot the metal will get at the very top there? The material in question is acrylic, not sure what sort of temps I'd be looking at at the mount point, although since the printed mount would be grabbing it in the same place as well, I can't imagine it'd be THAT hot.

That seems perfectly reasonable. I use something very similar (2 pieces of laser cut wood) to mount my j head.

The biggest concern I have is that Acrylic can be mean to machine. I presume though that if you have stock, and the machine, though that you've done it before.

I'd probably point some kind of fan at it, but that's SOP with a all metal hot end anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

EDIT: ahhhhh, you've got a dual extruder. That's awesome and I am jealous. How come you're moving away from that? I am currently trying to figure out how to rig up my board to do dual extrusion.
Never bothered with the second extruder, seems more trouble than worth. Or at least increases print times a drat lot from what I read (with all the wiping and priming of each nozzle every layer). I'm treating it as a spare part. The whole printer with a spool of PLA was like 400€ ready to print, so I didn't argue that there's a second extruder. It's all chinese cheap parts, tho.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I have one plug for an extruder but TWO for the Z motors, so I am thinking I can rig up both Z motors to the same stepper driver since it moves so little, then tell Z2 to be E2 in the firmware (or E1, since the first one is E0) But I have never installed firmware onto my board, it has always worked really well from day 1 and I am scared to screw up the firmware math and never have it work right again. Also I am unsure if this can even be done, but I've found some forum threads on other boards where people do the same thing.
As far as the stepper outputs go, this is in the end all software defined. Depends on the configurability of the firmware (on the Smoothieboard, it's all in a config file on the SD card that gets read on boot). As far as the math does, I suppose the only values that really matter are the steps-per-mm. Hope your firmware update process isn't as retarded as mine, where you need to time the Update button press with the reset button press on the controller down to a couple of tenth of a second.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I want dual extruders so I can print HIPS and whatever else. Dissolvable support structures. Does anybody here do that?
Had plans for dissolvable supports once, right about the time I've ordered my first spool of PETG, after reading what horror PETx supports are to remove. Practically, they're easier to remove than PLA ones.

Plus that limonene bullshit didn't sound nice and cost effective.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 28, 2015

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So I got the Monoprice printer for Christmas and I'll be setting it up soon and giving it a go. I've read that PEI is good for a base to keep the plastic from separating. Also, what would be a good source of filament? I've found this which seems to be a good price and has good reviews.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Bookmark https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/ for when strange things happen to prints. I've tried a few different sources for filament and honestly haven't had any trouble with the cheap eBay stuff so long as they have plenty of reviews and free shipping. But maybe I've just been lucky so far.

If your printer doesn't already have one consider making one of these http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1025471 (note that's a blower fan) to cool your PLA as it prints. I found it helps enormously with overhangs and bridging.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So yeah, when you guys calibrate the axes of your printer, do you do it based on the dimensions of the calibration or in such a way that the head travels the requested distance? I'm doing latter, but had discussions on another forum where they say they do former. I print with PET and PLA only, so it seems to work out for me, but supposedly would end up in drama for ABS parts not maintaining precision.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Welp, found my test object:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1068443

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Finally had a chance to work on the Christmas rostock some more. Still set on skipping the stock hot end process. With that in mind, I got this put together tonight:

Only problem is, the stock standoffs are too short to accommodate the fan in the space between the effector plate and the mounting plates I made. I could go find some longer/extra standoffs, or I'm wondering if I can just get away with not having a fan on the heat sink long enough to calibrate and print a proper mount. I mean, the first print the manual has you do is a mount to install the equivalent fan, so I have to imagine things are at least functional without, right?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Nope, you 100% need the fan on the heatsink. You will end up with the mother of all clogs otherwise.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All righty, extra standoffs it is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, the segmented standoffs look a little jenky to me because the OD is different and all, but it feels solid, the tip of the nozzle is still the lowest thing, and the fan fits. I'm pretty sure it'll do well enough to print off a proper mount.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Opinions greatly welcome! The OP is pretty out of date, so I read the last few pages but didn't see anything about my question, so I thought I'd just ask.

A friend of mine is about to buy a 3d printer, and now I'm thinking of taking the plunge as well. He's about 99% sold on the Maker Select from Monoprice, and I'm kinda leaning to it as well.

My question is, since both of us are just going to use online sites to print poo poo from video games and other things, is it a decent printer?

Also, can anyone point me towards a guide on how to take a model out of a game? I'd love to print the dagger from Shadow of Mordor but at the moment my experience with 3d printing is "throw money at someone and then throw money at shapeways" :homebrew:

Many many thanks in advance!

Edit - holy fucknuggets the solidoodle press is a god damned nightmare machine and should never even be thought about.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 31, 2015

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
We got a new printer at work this week.. My boss saw it at a show cranking out some really nice parts.

It's taller than all of my coworkers.

Of course, we don't seem to have any documentation or software for it (the swiss manufacturer and german reseller websites are a little unclear..), but hopefully we'll get it set up next week.

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 31, 2015

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

techknight posted:

We got a new printer at work this week.. My boss saw it at a show cranking out some really nice parts.

It's taller than all of my coworkers.

Of course, we don't seem to have any documentation or software for it (the swiss manufacturer and german reseller websites are a little unclear..), but hopefully we'll get it set up next week.

:f5: i demand more info in a giant info dump asap :0

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
http://hypecask.com/portfolio-item/deltatower/ Well that's a website or it..

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Happy 2016!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBFbo9vxmN4

Since I didn't need to print the rostock fan shroud they have you start with, I just told it to take a shot at the calibration cube that MatterControl loaded up by default. I don't know much, but personally, I think it's looking really good so far!

e: Not gonna lie: as the print head went screaming down toward the bed, I literally cringed and flinched as it halted under a millimeter from the glass. I think I've seen too many crashes on my previous CNC entries, it's made me a bit gun shy, even after the several hours of pre-print calibration I went through.

e: Still going strong, still lookin' good.

e: This PLA smells vaguely like syrup, I fuckin' love it

e: I've never been so excited about a tiny plastic block in my entire life:

e: Oh wow, final measured dimensions of the test block are +/- .04mm from the intent. Is that good? I feel like that's pretty good.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 1, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just went ahead and bought simplify3d. Geirsklogulolualuhl, give me all your secret s3d Rostock settings :getin:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That looks similar to Techknight's photo but it's definitely not the same machine. For one, the extruded aluminum parts are different; Techknight's looks a hell of a lot beefier and have two grooves. Finally, the printer on the website is only 135 cm/4 1/2 ft tall, and well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Opinions greatly welcome! The OP is pretty out of date, so I read the last few pages but didn't see anything about my question, so I thought I'd just ask.

A friend of mine is about to buy a 3d printer, and now I'm thinking of taking the plunge as well. He's about 99% sold on the Maker Select from Monoprice, and I'm kinda leaning to it as well.

My question is, since both of us are just going to use online sites to print poo poo from video games and other things, is it a decent printer?

Also, can anyone point me towards a guide on how to take a model out of a game? I'd love to print the dagger from Shadow of Mordor but at the moment my experience with 3d printing is "throw money at someone and then throw money at shapeways" :homebrew:

Many many thanks in advance!

Edit - holy fucknuggets the solidoodle press is a god damned nightmare machine and should never even be thought about.

Some games are easier than others to get stuff out of. Eve is pretty easy as are Bethesda games which gives you skyrim and fallout and medieval (I think). From a quick google SoM doesn't have much of a modding community which seems to be what's needed to get file extraction tools. I think Garry's mod files can also be extracted but I don't have GM so I'm not certain.