Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Feinne posted:

The whole process but the fights are a LOT of it. I'd say at least forty minutes of final boss fighting, and one of the longer phases even has a pretty blah music track.

Okay so here's thing one to remember: there are effectively SEVEN phases to this loving fight and every single one of them is boring as gently caress.

What is this, some kind of old school MMO boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Argas posted:

Ugh it kinda feels like that actually.

You really feel the flaw in the combat system in the boss fights, like they recognized that the timing-based guards of AT2 were cool but didn't bother to really look at why those worked as a mechanic so instead they did something really lovely that makes fights either awful and boring or impossibly hard with no real middle-ground.

Like if they'd literally just stolen AT2's mechanics wholesale this game would have been 1000% better. That would even let us have things like extra party members (even if they come and go from the parties) and various points where both parties come together and are actually working together instead of them contriving reasons why only one group is fighting a thing.

Oh and another thing they I never really thought of because the game doesn't really make it clear at the time, em pyei-n vari-fen jang did in fact KILL Zill. She dead. It comes up and I was like 'wait we did that?' because I didn't think that was what happened.

This game man this loving game. Like I like aspects of it but god drat.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

You seemed so positive at the beginning! I didn't like the game from the start, but I never wanted it to end this way. :(

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

You seemed so positive at the beginning! I didn't like the game from the start, but I never wanted it to end this way. :(

Yeah because it'd been long enough since I played it that I forgot how loving awful this fight is.

Like it even went WAY better than the first time I played this game and it still sucked.

Also a million really good games I want to be playing are out and it makes that Ar Nosurge is kinda boring all the more stark.

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

Feinne posted:

Ugh it kinda feels like that actually.

You really feel the flaw in the combat system in the boss fights, like they recognized that the timing-based guards of AT2 were cool but didn't bother to really look at why those worked as a mechanic so instead they did something really lovely that makes fights either awful and boring or impossibly hard with no real middle-ground.

Like if they'd literally just stolen AT2's mechanics wholesale this game would have been 1000% better. That would even let us have things like extra party members (even if they come and go from the parties) and various points where both parties come together and are actually working together instead of them contriving reasons why only one group is fighting a thing.

Oh and another thing they I never really thought of because the game doesn't really make it clear at the time, em pyei-n vari-fen jang did in fact KILL Zill. She dead. It comes up and I was like 'wait we did that?' because I didn't think that was what happened.

So speaking of killing the worst lady (that I enjoy far too much), I'm starting the recording phase of em-pyei-n vari-fen jang. Thing is, that chorus kicks the poo poo out of me. It's technically not in my range, but I can make the notes when I'm fresh. This is not conducive to multiple cuts to get it just right, but I'm going to try. It hopefully should be ready within a few days, because, like, I can tell I'm close (though wow my mic sucks), I just need to do some clean up and...I guess shaping? It's hard to explain, like, my singing style is...well let's say it's more suited to, say, REPLEKIA then this song (I might have sung REPLEKIA in the past).

It WOULD have been ready like a week ago but apparently there was a rebellion in my sinuses and I ended up being sick for like the past while, which sucked because I really wanted to practice :(. But yes, I didn't forget this, just stuff happened like a full time job and the sicks.

Unrelated to that, I totally agree that they just needed to roll with AT 2's mechanics, though I kinda wonder if they could have made the wave system work with something similar, because I did really enjoy being able to clean up the entire bar in one fight.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Remember I sang EXEC_COSMOFLIPS for the Qoga thread and am charitably the worst singer in existence so the bar you have to cross for 'best singing contribution in an ar tonelico thread' is somewhere around the core of Ra Ciela.

COSMOFLIPS is actually a really solid one if you want something that's pretty straightforward at some point because while a couple of the words are a bit of a mouthful it's just a verse and a chorus that repeats but with different feeling.

Oh and you also have to sing it with a Japanese accent to actually match the meter because while I'm a big fan of KOKIA, rather a strong accent and it's really obvious when you look at the lyrics and listen to the song at the same time. There are just one or two words she can't help but add a phantom vowel to the end of because I'd assume they're just really weird sounds for a Japanese speaker.

I'm not judging either there are plenty of sounds in languages that are just weird and if you don't really drill into yourself what they are you're always going to say them wrong. Like say a theta, which is 't-rough breath' and not 'th' as an English speaker would say that sound.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 31, 2015

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

Feinne posted:

Remember I sang EXEC_COSMOFLIPS for the Qoga thread and am charitably the worst singer in existence so the bar you have to cross for 'best singing contribution in an ar tonelico thread' is somewhere around the core of Ra Ciela.

COSMOFLIPS is actually a really solid one if you want something that's pretty straightforward at some point because while a couple of the words are a bit of a mouthful it's just a verse and a chorus that repeats but with different feeling.

Oh and you also have to sing it with a Japanese accent to actually match the meter because while I'm a big fan of KOKIA, rather a strong accent and it's really obvious when you look at the lyrics and listen to the song at the same time. There are just one or two words she can't help but add a phantom vowel to the end of because I'd assume they're just really weird sounds for a Japanese speaker.

I'm not judging either there are plenty of sounds in languages that are just weird and if you don't really drill into yourself what they are you're always going to say them wrong. Like say a theta, which is 't-rough breath' and not 'th' as an English speaker would say that sound.

I'm pretty good at phantom vowels in hymmnos. Actually, I sang COSMOFLIPS at Otakon 2015 with a friend. I kind of overpowered him, but like, the fact he had such a deep voice that kind of worked as a ground against my own singing really made the blend come out really well. Um...actually there's video of this performance, though I'm not 100% sure I want to post it? I mean, it's pretty easily searchable on youtube I imagine if you REALLY want to see, but, like, I am an embarrassingly bad cosplayer, and was definitely in cosplay in that video, so...

Basically, I know, by heart, EXEC_COSMOFLIPS, METHOD_REPLEKIA, METHOD_IMPLANTA, EXEC_LINCA, EXEC_Z, EXEC_RE=NATION, The Heart Speaks, EXEC_SPHILIA, METHOD_METAFALICA, and...possibly more but I can't remember at the moment. Also, now I can add em-pyei-n vari-fen jang to that list at this point, I just need to get it more musically solid rather than lyrically solid.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

UncertainKitten posted:

I'm pretty good at phantom vowels in hymmnos. Actually, I sang COSMOFLIPS at Otakon 2015 with a friend. I kind of overpowered him, but like, the fact he had such a deep voice that kind of worked as a ground against my own singing really made the blend come out really well. Um...actually there's video of this performance, though I'm not 100% sure I want to post it? I mean, it's pretty easily searchable on youtube I imagine if you REALLY want to see, but, like, I am an embarrassingly bad cosplayer, and was definitely in cosplay in that video, so...

Basically, I know, by heart, EXEC_COSMOFLIPS, METHOD_REPLEKIA, METHOD_IMPLANTA, EXEC_LINCA, EXEC_Z, EXEC_RE=NATION, The Heart Speaks, EXEC_SPHILIA, METHOD_METAFALICA, and...possibly more but I can't remember at the moment. Also, now I can add em-pyei-n vari-fen jang to that list at this point, I just need to get it more musically solid rather than lyrically solid.

Look, we're posting in the Ar Nosurge thread. We are all beyond shame.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

The whole process but the fights are a LOT of it. I'd say at least forty minutes of final boss fighting, and one of the longer phases even has a pretty blah music track.

Okay so here's thing one to remember: there are effectively SEVEN phases to this loving fight and every single one of them is boring as gently caress.

Ouch.

Argas posted:

I can't help but be reminded of this:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Well that looks familar.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The behavior of the boss there is shockingly similar except to Ar Nosurge's except we can't kill him that quickly, instead he wastes like five+ minutes of our time each time. It varies because the phases don't all have the same amount of health and one of them's just Prim and has EXSPHERE_NOSURGE playing and is therefore actually pretty fun.

EDIT: Also while I won't link it, I did in fact search for that video and it's great and you should feel great about having done it. Also a credible Skuwat. I can't criticize because only :effort: stops me from doing horrible nerd poo poo like dress as the King in Yellow for halloween.

Also looking at your list of things maybe try EXEC_HARMONIUS, that's always a fun one.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 31, 2015

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Wait, Zill's dead already?
Then... we spent the last x chapters just trying to put down a horrible amalgamation of souls without any drive or reason?

:psyduck:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lunar Suite posted:

Wait, Zill's dead already?
Then... we spent the last x chapters just trying to put down a horrible amalgamation of souls without any drive or reason?

:psyduck:

When did Zill die then. I was fairly certain the thing was intelligent for a while.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When we used em pyei-n vari-fen jang a little while ago to strip the souls from the Maternal Overseer apparently that killed Zill, though they weren't clear on that.

I would assume that in spite of being the principle soul of the Overseer she herself was stripped away from it and thus went on to her final rest.

Though also to be clear the Overseer itself isn't quite done yet, since if we'd actually destroyed it Nelo should have reappeared.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 31, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So wait...if Zill is dead, does that mean we won't get to learn why she didn't recognize Delta or Cass, back when Zill was still human? Because that was kinda weird, considering that she knew them from the first game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

So wait...if Zill is dead, does that mean we won't get to learn why she didn't recognize Delta or Cass, back when Zill was still human? Because that was kinda weird, considering that she knew them from the first game.

I would assume she did in fact recognize them but wanted to see where things were going.

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

Feinne posted:

The behavior of the boss there is shockingly similar except to Ar Nosurge's except we can't kill him that quickly, instead he wastes like five+ minutes of our time each time. It varies because the phases don't all have the same amount of health and one of them's just Prim and has EXSPHERE_NOSURGE playing and is therefore actually pretty fun.

EDIT: Also while I won't link it, I did in fact search for that video and it's great and you should feel great about having done it. Also a credible Skuwat. I can't criticize because only :effort: stops me from doing horrible nerd poo poo like dress as the King in Yellow for halloween.

Also looking at your list of things maybe try EXEC_HARMONIUS, that's always a fun one.

EXEC_HARMONIUS honestly bores me. Like, I guess it's pretty? But...like...I dunno, it never grabbed my attention.

Well, thank you for the compliment. I always tend to find a lot of mistakes in my singing, so it's hard to like enthusiastically recommend it, but on the flip side, like, I generally get positive reviews when I do sing, so I'm trying to be more out there with it as a thing and it's kinda working for my confidence and such.

But...you know what? I will link it properly. I mean, I'm already working on a song to specifically record for this thread, so being self conscious at this point is just kinda puzzling. So, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwK05H88VrM

Feinne posted:

I would assume she did in fact recognize them but wanted to see where things were going.

This sounds like exactly a thing she'd do. I was pretty puzzled as well when it initially happened, but I think I went with that. I mean, she had to be confident in her tracking spell, so.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

UncertainKitten posted:

EXEC_HARMONIUS honestly bores me. Like, I guess it's pretty? But...like...I dunno, it never grabbed my attention.

Well, thank you for the compliment. I always tend to find a lot of mistakes in my singing, so it's hard to like enthusiastically recommend it, but on the flip side, like, I generally get positive reviews when I do sing, so I'm trying to be more out there with it as a thing and it's kinda working for my confidence and such.

Maybe METHOD_HYMMNE_GRANZERO=SPEAR? That's a pretty cool one.

Oh I understand entirely the thought process of just looking at something you've done and seeing all the flaws. Just remember that you're hearing flaws other people aren't because you're much better at this than average.

Video stuff is encoded, I'm going to cut tonight for an update ideally tomorrow.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Feinne posted:

When we used em pyei-n vari-fen jang a little while ago to strip the souls from the Maternal Overseer apparently that killed Zill, though they weren't clear on that.

I just rewatched the video. The Overseer's head droops a little and Prim goes "No.. NO!"
This is the least satisfying villain death ever. Had Zill died from food poisoning (possibly a Chalonde Trois) I'd've been more engaged.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Zill died on the way back to her home planet.

Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie
I'm so mad I didn't see this LP until like 4 days ago. But! It has been entirely solid, so definite props, Feinne.

I'm also here to bring some interesting tidbits that haven't been brought up! I'm not sure if it was brought up in the original LPs for AT1-3, but Hymn Crystals have feelings contained in them for the singer to relate to and craft a song around. While I played Ar nosurge, something struck me as familiar, and well.

From the AT wiki, the Feelings Contained in the Hymn Crystal for EXEC_COSMOFLIPS/.:

"A refugee ship drifts at the speed of light
Alone in this planet's ocean
In this distance of forty thousand light years from Sol
Seeking for God, while bearing a fate of eternal wandering

There is an uncountable amount of people on this boat
In these poor surroundings, both inside and outside - people are everywhere.
The young girl Kanui sat amongst those people.
She doesn't do anything but eat the solid food she was given every day.
No, she couldn't do anything.

Humans have lost their planet, and this boat was all that was left.
Their only hope lies in the living entity called COSAL, the savior of humankind.
They call it God.
And the young girl Kanui acted as the medium between them and COSAL.

As the medium, Kanui healed, comforted and served the humans, and conveyed teachings.
But there are simply too many people on this boat slated for forty thousand light years
People are in a state of decay, and there are many who throw themselves overboard.

During all that, the people eventually came into contact with mysterious lifeforms.
"They", who came onto this ship during some point, had transparent bodies inlaid with stars.
The people were shocked, and burnt out those bodies
The stars within those bodies scattered on the starship, and eroded the people's bodies.
They invade their bodies like an epidemic, and the people died after getting a high fever.
Most of "them" escaped into the ship, but nonetheless, the people took chase.

Kanui's meeting with "them" happened a few days later.
It was over in an instant.
Just as her mind registered "their" sudden appearance, "they" took off immediately.
The reason came to her quickly.
Doctors were chasing after them with firearms.
But Kanui knew it immediately upon meeting "them".
She needed to chase after them.

"They" were cornered in the engine room.
In a world neighboring a vernier of a few thousand degrees, they can't live long.
So the people shut "them" into the control room, and waited for "them" to turn into coals.

Kanui squeezed her way through those people and opened the door of the engine room.
Shaking off the surprised adults who tried to stop her, she headed into the engine room.

It was a burning world.
"They" looked at her, and drew back as if in fear.
But she reached out to them, and sang gently.

Hey, please listen?
I have no intention of stealing your lives or powers
Because every single will is essential to this world as a whole
They should not be discriminated against or disregarded

I know humans are not kind lifeforms, nor are they strong lifeforms
But please, for the sake of those who attempt to coexist with you, give them hope
So that this world may overflow with hope

Kanui was brought down to her knees. She could not longer stand.
But even if she could not stand, even if her hand was burning
She did not lower it, and continued to sing

Those lifeforms approached her timidly
Placing their hands on hers, they whispered

Our name is Ru- "

And from the Feelings Contained for the Hymn Crystal EXEC_REBIRTHIA=PROTOCOL/.:

"A refugee ship drifts at the speed of light
Alone in this planet's ocean
In this distance of forty thousand light years from Sol
Seeking for God, while bearing a fate of eternal wandering

One Goddess and 120000 refugees were on the ship.
They have exhausted their food supplies, and absorbed all organic substances,
Despite that, the people still lived on while dying.
Though Kanui - the maiden who could communicate with God - was their hope,
She chased the invaders - "them" - into the engine room and suffered fatal burns.

Emerging from the room, she told this to the stirring crowd.
Devour this body of mine.
Or you'll all die...she said.

The people hesitated.
But there was no food left on the ship.
No one has eaten or drunk anything for more than ten days.
A ship without an engineer is one headed towards death.

Someone put the maiden in their mouth.
Kanui whispered lightly.

Please, give hope...

As if on a cue, the people crowded around Kanui and devoured her whole.

And then, the people died.

Before the passing of 10 days, all life was wiped out.
The people's corpses piled up like mountains, and eventually decomposed, returning to the earth.
By the Ru's power, the people's corpses became a bountiful land.
The ship rode on the land made of their corpses, and traveled on.
Sometimes by the undulations of the planet, sometimes by the power of the atoms.

And then, one life was born.
That which was piled on the ship with the humans sprouted a beautifully green bud.

Eventually, after a few hundred light years of traveling,
The ship was covered in greenery, and microscopic lifeforms were born.
The ship acted as a huge biotope, and more lives were created.

After traveling a few thousand more light years,
The ship was pulled in by a small planet and forced into landing.
And the ship - which had become a huge biocapsule -, nurtured life on this planet.

Alongside the planet Sol that nurtured the light of hope
A new generation of humans shall be born
Onto this planet - the new land of hope
And create a new civilization.

Awaken, o land
Make our souls resound just once more
And please give hope to these new lives

I pray that a disaster like this shall never happen again

To our descendants
Or our motherly planet."

The wiki also points out that the story for the Hymn Crystal was probably loosely based on the events in Ar nosurge, only a helluva lot darker than the actual events were, to an extent. Was definitely a :stare: moment for me while I played.

It was also hinted at by Feinne, but the forest theme on Ar Ciel is a modified version of Shelanoir's Forest, confirmed in the Sound Room notes for AnS as well. The mention of ZeeiFaLea in Shelanoir's Forest is brought up by Ayatane too.

I'll wait for the endings to say anything else, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

One thing that's a shame is that you don't really get to see one of the cool consequences of how Hymn Crystals actually work very often, namely that the actual song you get depends on both the feelings and the actual singer. We hear it with the two very different PURGERs of course, and Misha's version of HARMONIUS compared to the one Mir pulls out in 2 (which may or may not be entirely what it originally was given it is noted as HARMONIUS_FUSION). And sort of the EXEC vs METHOD versions of METAFALICA, though those are a bit different since they're intended to be entirely different yet interlocking no matter what.

I mean part of it is game structuring of course, and part of it is that Qoga had a million singers with small parts and even the principle performers didn't have a lot of songs.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 1, 2016

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
This game has the worst final boss fight I have ever seen in a JRPG and that says something.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is it as bad as Rogue Galaxy?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Working on it now though the update might fall to tomorrow because we went to see a movie earlier. There will be a like 30 minute video of me fighting THREE of the seven phases. We will not finish the final boss fight in this update.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Working on it now though the update might fall to tomorrow because we went to see a movie earlier. There will be a like 30 minute video of me fighting THREE of the seven phases. We will not finish the final boss fight in this update.
Next time on Ar Nosurge Z...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Suddenly I'm feeling pretty okay about my decision to not buy Ar Nosurge+ while it was on sale.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thuryl posted:

Suddenly I'm feeling pretty okay about my decision to not buy Ar Nosurge+ while it was on sale.

A lot of the irritation can be mitigated by putting the game on Normal, Hard is usually correct because it actually makes the bosses a threat but this boss is a joke either way so you're just making it take WAY less time (as we'll see when we see what it does the boss' attacks mainly serve to make the fight way longer).

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

A friend of mine is struggling with depression. They don't want help, they don't want contact, either.
I'm coping by writing a REON-4213 song about replacing a target's negative feelings (or lack of positive ones) with 'prosthetic' positive ones from a donor (because that's how normal people cope, right?). A song for a soothing mental hug and spiritual fortitude, CLASS::M_BRACER;

code:
QuelI->{Cls(ih){EXmY[aaz]->{ciol f koh} am {Cls(hymmm){EX[givas]->{HW}<-{hymeli f ih}->{iyon}}}}->ExeC->{HW};
QuelI->{Cls(ih){EXlP[unk]->{hymi}->ExIV[quin]->{CLASS:M_BRACER}}}->ExeC->{UW};

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 2, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wow, it’s been a long time since we started this story, hasn’t it? Well, I think we’re actually about at the end now. Ion, Earthes, Delta, and Cass headed to the Singing Hill to revive the planet.

Video- The Final Showdown

Watch

Haa… I’m getting nervous.
It’s going to be okay, though. I know you’re here.
Do your best!
Don’t worry about me. I’ll make this the best song I’ve ever sung.
Here we go…!

All throughout the ship the people were prepared.

As were the Sharl.

Ion began the song…

Okay do I even need to say this? Something went terribly wrong.

Is…is this one of the song’s effects?
Calm down everybody! There’s nothing to worry about!
No one’s listening. Although I can’t blame them…
Renall! Find anyone you can to help guide the people somewhere safe!
I’ll do what I can.

Because of course they’d forgotten about someone.

…Who’s there?
Ion.
Are you talking to me?

Not-actually-Prim was still hanging around.

Thanks to your song, Prim’s dream can finally come true. Thank you!
Ion! What happened!?
What was that tremor!?
Mommy! Daddy!
Prim…? Why are you here?
Ion moved the ring, so now I can finally turn the Soreil into a whole bunch of energy!
The thing I made before was totally useless, but this time I’m taking Ulyliyha back!
Ulyliyha…?
Yeah. That’s Nelo’s name over here.
Are you the person on the other side of Interdimend?!

And she had some real crap to pull.

Just cut the connection already!
We’re not gonna let you get away with this!
Hehehehe, didn’t I tell you? I already have everything I need.
Just watch…

And by that I mean she turned the ship into a huge dragon thing. Which I guess it could do? I don’t even know that sounds improbable.

It’s using life-energy to turn the ship into a life-form!
That’s just too awesome!
Why isn’t there technology like this back in my world?
There are so many useless people, we could just use them for something like this!
This feels great!
You’re converting life into energy…? Wait, that means--!
Ha ha ha ha ha! Took you long enough to figure that out!
Prim!
Oooh! Scary! I guess I’ll give you a little taste of my “appreciation” before I take Ulyliyha back!

And apparently, on the end of whoever was controlling Prim it just looked like some kind of dumb game.

What…? What are you talking about?
Oh, right, I need Ion to help bring Ulyliyha back.
C’mon, help me out! Please…?

This was where she reactivated EXSPHERE_NOSURGE.

Uu… Aaaah!
Huh? Wait, this is different… Is someone protecting me?
Wow, you’re resisting it? I didn’t know you could do that.
I can’t see a gauge or anything… It just took effect, so maybe I just have to wait?
Let Ion go!
What’s wrong with you? Don’t touch me, you worthless puppet.
…You can hear me too, right?
Hm? You want to beat this one too?
I get it, results are important.
But I don’t think we should get too worked up.
It’s just a game, after all.
A game? Is that all Interdimend was…?
…No, that’s wrong.
C’mon, just help me out. Didn’t you want to bring Ion back?
You shouldn’t have any problem with me destroying this world!
I’ll get Ulyliyha back, and you’ll get Ion. Doesn’t that sound great?
I’m not like you!
Oh, really?
That’s not good, then. If you’re going to get in my way, I should probably get rid of you.
If I destroy the Ar noSurge Tube, then you and Prim will disappear.
So that means…
We just have to destroy each other!

There was nothing for it but to try and take her down.

I’ll handle this one, Earthes! You just take care of Ion!
Oh, you wanna fight?
Hey.
I’m talking to you. The creature using Interdimend on Prim.
I know we didn’t get her the, uh, normal way, but Prim’s still my kid, and you’re hurting her.
You’re not gonna get away with it.
That’s rich coming from you. Refresh my memory, didn’t you kill Zill and Undou?
I guess they weren’t very useful, so it wasn’t a big loss, but…
You treat Interdimend as some kind of plaything…
But I’m connected to someone I trust.
Right now I can’t see, I can’t move, and I can barely feel.
But I won’t ever let you win, and while Cass is singing behind me, you’ll never lay a finger on her.
That’s because we’ve got someone fighting for our world, someone we trust, backing us up.
So let’s finish this, right here, right now! C’mon Cass, let’s go!
Hang on Prim, we’re coming to get you!

Boss Battle:
Our first fight here is against Prim, who’s basically the same as she ever was. She only gets one action per turn if you Break her, so just focus on that and you’ll bring her down pretty quickly. It should be noted that who you choose to fight Prim with determines whose ending you see.

Not that it mattered, because nothing is ever easy.

Leave Prim and go.
What are you talking about!? There’s no way I can lose! I can still fight!

Oh, sorry, got a little carried away. My point was, I’m about to win by default.
See? You’re out of time.
Ion!
Ha ha!
Done! It all worked perfectly! I finally beat it!
The Maternal Overseer is complete! Her song will finally be finished, too! Now I can take Ulyliyha back!
poo poo! Ion…Ion!
Come on, say something Ion!

Ion was trapped in darkness.

What happened to me?
I…I sang the song, and…
…The Maternal Overseer?
I see… Was I swallowed up and eaten?
I’m sorry… We were so close, and I screwed it up again…
I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I’m sorry…
I’m so sorry…
…!?
Is this…?

A song began to resonate from the Soreil’s insides.

Please, keep singing!
We’ll lead all of you to a new planet, I promise!
Ion will deliver us to our new world!
Believe in her! Don’t stop singing!
Don’t worry, our thoughts will be delivered. The strength of our thoughts cannot be opposed!
A song…?
This is their song…!
Why… I can’t even sing anymore…
Don’t worry, you can still sing.
Is…is that you!?
You’re still alive, Ion.
I’ll protect you, until the very end.
…!
…I’m sorry. I’d given up.
I thought I was all alone again.
But I wasn’t.
I…I can still do this! I have to get back!
Back to my friends!

In the meantime, though, Delta and Cass had other problems.

Listen!
Yeah, I can hear it! This is their song!
They’re all singing… They’re still alive!
We have to stop her! There’s still a chance to save Ion, and everyone else!
All right Cass, you can do it! Start singing!
Right! Here we go…!

Namely the giant ship dragon thing.

Video- The Worst Fight

Watch If You Hate Yourself

Boss Battle: The Soreil
Here is the first bit of the final boss, where we fight three phases as Delta and Cass. Each phase has its own health bar, but our Song Magic situation continues (it treats them like hidden Waves I think). The main attacks to watch out for are the missiles, which will drain a lot of your Burst Gauge whether they hit or not, and this rude flash of light that prevents your Harmo bar from filling for a turn even if you defend against it. The fight is rear end and takes FOREVER because of those two attacks, and gently caress it.

Okay, I think we need a break. Let’s go get some food, we’ll pick this up later.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm assuming that if you somehow die during all of that, you have to start all over?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I'm assuming that if you somehow die during all of that, you have to start all over?

Pretty sure yeah. Dying isn't a significant risk if you stocked up on good healing items with Endurance and Barrier recovery because the boss can't really take off much more than one Barrier even if it hits you with every attack. It should also be noted that each phase gets sliiiightly more powerful than the last so by the third form of the Soreil it's hitting a bit harder and has a bit more health.

It also goes without saying that Ion and Earthes are also going to have to fight a three phaser against the fucker, except this time it has a cutscene attack that takes FOREVER and that it uses a LOT. Though it also has less health and the music is better, so it's still probably the better fight.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also the party are just standing around in space I guess??

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Also the party are just standing around in space I guess??

We're at the Singing Hill on a side path from where Shirotaka was hanging out. So, yeah we kinda are just hanging out in space.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I guess a song wizard did it, right?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

FractalSandwich posted:

I guess a song wizard did it, right?

If you watch the video, you can see that they're *clearly* standing on top of the triangle menu button; except when the camera shifts, but *THAT* is totally the song wizard's fault. Also,

COME ON COME ON LETS GO GOOD GOOD I'M LEAVING THIS ONE UP TO YOU LEAVE THIS TO ME REALLY GOOD LEAVE THIS TO ME CAST BY DIVINE JUDGEMENT COME ON COME ON LETS GO HOW ABOUT THIS CAST BY DIVINE JUDGEMENT LEAVE THIS TO ME YOU HAVE TO PROTECT ME NOT BAD LEAVE THIS TO ME CAST BY DIVINE JUDGMENT COME ON COME ON LETS GO DON'T STOP NOW HOW ABOUT THIS CAST BY DIVINE JUDGEMENT COME ON COME ON LETS GO :bang: HEY YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT ME :suicide:

Please Cass...please, please just shut up; just one minute, for one loving minute, that's all I'm asking. What? I should stop being such a jerk? You know, I'd seriously consider letting your world burn if Prim wasn't so drat insufferable.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 3, 2016

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

The ship turns into a dragon.
The spaceship, designed to protect the last of their civilization, turns into a loving dragon, but despite having an infinite energy tube plugged into it, it needs to run on people.

What is this fresh bullshit? Goddamnit, wave science!! :argh:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh no that part makes total sense it's just not-Prim being a huge shitlord.

I think she's turned the entire ship into the Maternal Overseer's body or something and then she's gonna blow it up to power sending Nelo home or who the gently caress knows the plan is crazy as poo poo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really like the idea of a villain who just wants to get all her cheevos.

Also the evil parts of EXSPHERE_NOSURGE have the greatest lyrics. Execute DESTRUCTION over SPACETIME. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
The final area is also a complete pain, every fight there has 50 waves to it.

• Locked thread