Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
At a family party last night I was told with 100% confidence that Han Solo killed himself with Kylo's saber because Kylo asked him to "help him" and Han said "Anything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

iSheep posted:

At a family party last night I was told with 100% confidence that Han Solo killed himself with Kylo's saber because Kylo asked him to "help him" and Han said "Anything".

If there's one thing this movie has taught me it is that the general public is shockingly terrible at watching movies.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just don't understand how he could have reached that conclusion.

But he is also an *aspiring filmmaker* so y'know he just sees things we normals don't.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

iSheep posted:

I guess it's just too complicated that Han could want a different thing than Ben and misinterpret Ben's words to reflect that. It's not exactly below the surface, or anything.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Saw it last night, great movie, poo poo film. I don't know if american folks would get what I mean by that strait off the bat, I guess what I am saying is the whole thing screamed of Hollywood producers demanding focus group script writing.

They should have sacked off the entire star killer base plot or whatever the gently caress it was called, and used the time for an Empire Strikes Back style character development movie. The kind of thing that stands up as great 30 years on. They were so loving close too, but we need to see the 15-20 mins where Finn decides to stop running and/or give Rey some time to bond with Han before the inevitable happens. I loved the old films, Han particularly but found myself utterly indifferent about him kicking the bucket. So yeah, great movie, poo poo film.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

If there's one thing this movie has taught me it is that the general public is shockingly terrible at watching movies.

the thing that absolutely astonishes me is people who think BB8 was flipping Finn off as opposed to giving him a thumbs up

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wish more films would get made instead of mere movies.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
But it was shot on film?? So doesn't that make it a film?

I'm so confused is there a flow chart or something that can help me with this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Neo Rasa posted:

Rey Tarkin.

Yes please.

When the next movie reveals that Rey smells bad... we'll know.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I often wonder why my love of Tarkin has no bounds, normally I do not share love for the villains for they are evil evil people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jiggerypokery posted:

They should have sacked off the entire star killer base plot or whatever the gently caress it was called, and used the time for an Empire Strikes Back style character development movie. The kind of thing that stands up as great 30 years on. They were so loving close too, but we need to see the 15-20 mins where Finn decides to stop running and/or give Rey some time to bond with Han before the inevitable happens.

Yeah, pretty much this. I did find it funny that it took about 10 minutes for Finn to get from "alone in the desert" to "literally riding in the Millennium Falcon".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LolitaSama posted:

Symbolically or practically? Finn needed to wander the desert, lost for 40 minutes, until the Force God was pleased.

Finn is on the planet where the Empire got the last poo poo kicked out of it, so wandering around that planet dressed as an Imperial Stormtrooper may not be the best idea. Also he's just been traumatised and is abandoning all connections to his life as a Stormtrooper. Symbolism is not required.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

iSheep posted:

But it was shot on film?? So doesn't that make it a film?

I'm so confused is there a flow chart or something that can help me with this.

I dunno why this is mocked so much, it's easily accessible shorthand. The only real contradiction that could be raised is that all films are worthy of critical analysis, so it's pointless to differentiate two types, but there are clearly films that were created to stand up to that analysis and films that are not.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

computer parts posted:

Their treatment of the MCU (a similar property in terms of marketing potential and release schedule) and the actual text we have with The Force Awakens.

Also the guy who directed Jurassic World is not an auteur director.

I said "going forward", as in their future choices seem to be a bit more ambitious than what we got with TFA. Plus as the MCU developed they are hardly playing it "safe" in the same way TFA did. GotG and pretty much their entire Phase 3 line up suggest otherwise.

I was not a fan of Jurassic World, but given hes really only ever made that and Saftey Not Guarnteed, Id still say its not fair to completely dismiss him as a director.

I just think its a little early to just condemn Star Wars as some homogenous Disney safety net.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AccountSupervisor posted:

Plus as the MCU developed they are hardly playing it "safe" in the same way TFA did. GotG and pretty much their entire Phase 3 line up suggest otherwise.

Captain America: Civil War is literally another Avengers film because they have no confidence in the property.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mr.capps posted:

I often wonder why my love of Tarkin has no bounds, normally I do not share love for the villains for they are evil evil people.

Because he's Van Helsing gone evil.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

computer parts posted:

Captain America: Civil War is literally another Avengers film because they have no confidence in the property.

Which turns out, is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Also didn't Jurassic World have a bunch of trouble in the editing department, to the point where they cut out a ton of stuff because it didn't focus group well? Like how the older brother is a huge(er) creep and people were hoping he'd die.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

computer parts posted:

If you followed the drama behind the contract negociations(RDJ not even being involved at first, spider-man, bosewick, etc etc), you'd know that wasn't true.
I think the project has just grown in size because 6 superheroes fighthing eachother aint exactly a war.

This is still gonna be a Captain America movie, no matter what the marketing leads you to believe. The only thing I'm kinda "worried" about is lots of stuff seems to have been added late in production.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
ENORMITY of space hahahahaha

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Neo Rasa posted:

The twist is that Rey was evil and murdered all of the new Jedi as a young child so Luke force-mindwiped her and they sent her to some far out shithole.

Rey is Revan and I'm 100% cool with that

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

computer parts posted:

Oh my bad I had no idea you traveled into the future to see the movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AccountSupervisor posted:

Oh my bad I had no idea you traveled into the future to see the movie.

Funny thing about trailers is that they're meant to inform you about the movie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's not an Avenger's movie the Hulk's not in it :colbert:

Also the Trailer is telling me this is is mostly about Cap trying to save his friend. While the establishment is trying to keep him from saving his friend.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

computer parts posted:

Man of Steel had a pretty bitchin' trailer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SnatchRabbit posted:

Man of Steel had a pretty bitchin' trailer.

Which accurately described the movie, yes.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

computer parts posted:

Trailers are advertising. The purpose of advertising is not to be informative.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

What is this "Force Mindwipe" that people keep saying. Is it another video game thing? It sounds dumb and probably didn't happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hulk Krogan posted:

Trailers are advertising. The purpose of advertising is not to be informative.

Oh, so if a trailer hypes you up then that's ok, but if a trailer makes a movie seem like poo poo, then it doesn't count and you can't judge until you watch the movie.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Movie trailers lately have a habit of spoiling the poo poo out of movies, see The Martian for a recent example. Disney to it's credit is very secretive so the TFA trailers didn't spoil poo poo.

I feel like a good trailer should only show things from the first hour of the movie.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

beejay posted:

What is this "Force Mindwipe" that people keep saying. Is it another video game thing? It sounds dumb and probably didn't happen.

Yeah, it sounds like that stupid Superman amnesia kiss thing from some of those movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Interstellar's trailer accurately depicted the movie, which was three straight hours of Matthew Mcconaughey driving through corn.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

beejay posted:

What is this "Force Mindwipe" that people keep saying. Is it another video game thing?

In plenty of EU stuff, Books and Video games. It is possible to use the Force to manipulate someone's mind to completely forget their past or whatever.

It's essentially a conclusion that comes from the thought of what if you took the Jedi Mind Trick, and amped it to make someone forget who they are permanently(until convenient plot happens and it all comes flooding back and you find out about it again).

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jedit posted:

Also he's just been traumatised and is abandoning all connections to his life as a Stormtrooper. Symbolism is not required.

Sounds like symbolism to me. Also its a movie, thus entirely symbolic. The force and stormtroopers are not real.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RBA Starblade posted:

Interstellar's trailer accurately depicted the movie, which was three straight hours of Matthew Mcconaughey driving through corn.

Would.

I highly doubt she's been mind-wiped. Her being anything other than a naturally talented Skywalker wouldn't really make sense either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Demiurge4 posted:

Movie trailers lately have a habit of spoiling the poo poo out of movies, see The Martian for a recent example. Disney to it's credit is very secretive so the TFA trailers didn't spoil poo poo.

The Civil War trailers, by contrast, showed pretty much all of the movie thus far.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

computer parts posted:

The greatest trailer I've ever seen was for The Devil Inside

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Smoking Crow posted:

The greatest trailer I've ever seen was for The Devil Inside

That is a really good trailer.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

beejay posted:

"you want to go home and rethink your life" is basically a mindwipe and that was in a movie so

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

computer parts posted:

The Civil War trailers, by contrast, showed pretty much all of the movie thus far.

If you're game, I would love to see you outline the story arc and major plot points. I'm curious how accurate you'll be having seen "pretty much all of the movie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That is a really good trailer.

That movie sucked a high hard one

• Locked thread