Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Why do people specifically recommend the Cloister and Bar for upgrades, rather than the other two for each location?

How high do you want people to get before you bother unlocking skills or upgrading skills and weapons on them?

Does the game have a clock, like XCom's constantly-upgrading adversaries, or if you get right hosed can you always keep on trucking?

Because the Cloister and Bar are cheaper. IIRC the others relieve slightly more stress but if you upgrade them anyways :shrug:

Somebody was just talking about this like a few posts ago, the first few upgrades are really cheap so you want to buy them as soon as you can for everybody, then they start getting really expensive and you want to wait until they're needed, but generally when they bump up a few levels so they won't do lower level things anymore you're going to want a solid weapon on your dudes at least.

The game has no clock. There is no hard fail state possible, you can always just hire more dudes and send them into the fray. You can lose every single dude and keep on trucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

That'd be pretty great. It'd also be pretty cool if when he dies he hulks out and joins the other team. Although then they'd probably need to add some other unique stress events to other classes to round it out.

if you think about it this would actually be really bad, and awful

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm honestly expecting Red Hook to implement a unique stress event for the Abomination where he turns on the party and you have to put him down.

This is a great idea. Tweet this at them.

Picked this up again after a long hiatus. I'm assuming the madmen enemies are new? Do they only show up during in thr ruin?

Also jfc that Fuliminating Prophet battle was tense. I brought Highwayman/Crusader/Grave Robber/Vestal. I think that was a mistake. Only by the grace of the rng (6 successful deaths door resists) and the Grave Robber's poison did I prevail.

What is the optimal team for taking on rank 3 Prophets? A buch of Hellions with Iron Swan?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

fennesz posted:

Or am I just awful at this game? I just feel like I wasted 10 bucks.

sounds like youre mostly awful but you can get a refund if it took you less than 2 hours to realize it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

if you think about it this would actually be really bad, and awful

That's the name of the game son!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is a great idea. Tweet this at them.

Picked this up again after a long hiatus. I'm assuming the madmen enemies are new? Do they only show up during in thr ruin?

Also jfc that Fuliminating Prophet battle was tense. I brought Highwayman/Crusader/Grave Robber/Vestal. I think that was a mistake. Only by the grace of the rng (6 successful deaths door resists) and the Grave Robber's poison did I prevail.

What is the optimal team for taking on rank 3 Prophets? A buch of Hellions with Iron Swan?

Only one Hellion can use Iron Swan (the one in front.) Although multiple hellions could probably bust the first pew pretty easily, at which point you've got up to 3 Hellions whaling on him with If It Bleeds. A Hellion + 3 long range light DPS characters would probably be good enough to win a DPS race; the rocks only fall at the very end of the round and you can probably survive the first two rocks, so you've got 3 rounds to do a little over 200 damage before you get into serious trouble. A bit over 20 damage per attack. Pretty doable, especially with a lucky crit or two.

Occultist with a +debuff skill% trinket can render the Prophet almost completely harmless, which is the easiest way to beat him. Guard characters also help, but they're not as foolproof because the prophet can multitarget his rubble and you can't guard against AOE attacks that include yourself. I'm pretty sure he has a stun, too.

ZypherIM posted:

I'm glad you picked the only really non-poo poo bleed skill to use for the example. Yes, slice off is a solid skill because it is pretty much stronger than all the other bleed skills. Other ones I use tend to be for a different reason and they just happen to cause bleed, like if-it-bleeds. Honestly I don't even use a lot of blight effects, but in general if I'm using a dot it is for a high prot enemy, which often is going to tank the damage the person with a bleed effect can do anyways (low base damage, damage penalty on attack, combined with prot). If you have any stuns around it is pretty easy to pull an extra turn of dot damage out as well.

Side note, poo poo like this is really hard to go compare because the various wiki sites are absolute poo poo at keeping their numbers up to date.

Unlike blight skills, the only "pure" bleed skill is Hook and Slice. Which yes, is a pretty awful skill. But that's my point--Slice Off is actually one of the weaker bleed-causing skills, just because bleed mostly exists as a rider on already-serviceable attacks.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 30, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Operant posted:

Do you think they are going to change class balance in the final version? Some of the classes feel way out of whack with the rest. They ask the community about this a lot, and I think highwayman, graverobber, leper, and jester consistently come up pretty low on the list. Especially jester, the poor bastard. I just haven't found a way to make him actually work.

GR is already OP as poo poo

HWM, Leper and Jester could all use a bit of tuning. Red Hook is very aware of our whining about them

fennesz posted:

Or am I just awful at this game?

:henget:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Prophet talk:
The first pew is pretty easy to chop down if you don't have a strong setup for hitting rank 4. So you can build for a party that can hit slot 3 which opens a lot of options (basically anything that can kill the hag). Killing the 2nd pew is quite a bit harder and is pretty much if you have a crusader+leper or something crazy like that.

Hellion in slot 1 is always great, but you have to be in slot 1 for iron swan. Marking parties work really well for him, something like arb-occ-hound-hellion can ignore the pews entirely and has 2 guys able to attack marked. I don't think damage debuffs reduce ruin damage anymore, but high dodge or prot is pretty effective so a man-at-arms is a decent bring. A reliable heal is really nice on this fight though, so a vestal is a great option to swap out for the occultist, but it'll take you 1 more guy's turn to get damage rolling. Speedy occultist with mark->dog treat hound rush->iron swan->sniper shot is a poo poo-ton of damage, and if you get crits you could probably 2-round him.

Dot talk:
I actually forgot about hook and slice entirely when I typed it up. Your comment of "well the rest are good skill X with a slight bleed" fits perfectly into why I said I don't really like them, which is I'd rather take a stronger direct attack for most enemies, unless it has high prot, in which case you might as well go all in on your dot damage. Also side note, blight skills have a higher base accuracy across the board.

Slice off gets -33% dmg for 3 pt/rnd bleed and 8% crit at rank 1. Open vein is -15%, 2/rnd, 0 crit. If it bleeds 0%, 2/rnd, 0 crit. Hound's rush 0%, 1/rnd, 2% crit, mark effects. Hound's harry -80%, 1/rnd, 0 crit, hits all ranks. Harvest -50%, 2/rnd, 0 crit, 2+3 ranks. Incision 0%, 1pt/rnd, 5% crit, crappy accuracy. Hook and slice -85%, 3/rnd, 2% crit.

I'd say slice off is better than everything but if it bleeds and hound rush. Both of those skills are also great for entirely other reasons (position targeting and being a mark bonus). Everything else is pretty markedly worse (hound's harry is good.. against a specific boss).

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Next party I want to try is probably gonna be Shielding backrow gimmick Man at arms, Occultist, Man at arms again, and finally a Hellion. First thing to do is Camp, where the Mans and Occultist all buff the Hellion who also self buffs. Then the Hellion murders everything unhindered as she is gonna be Guarded or Healed nonstop.

Edit: Also remember to add some +Damage Trinkets, can probably get over 100% damage increase total, not to mention having insane accuracy and probably crits.

Koboje fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 31, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

On the character screen, the character has a "Resistances" stat, one of which is "Traps". Hovering over that gives a disarm chance.

Also if you see a trap on the mini map, once you are next to the trap, a little icon will appear on your dudes' status bars that indicates % chance to disarm that trap.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

sullat posted:

Also if you see a trap on the mini map, once you are next to the trap, a little icon will appear on your dudes' status bars that indicates % chance to disarm that trap.

The stats for trap disarm aren't entirely accurate. It is actually treated the same way a stun or bleed check is done, so a character with 100% trap disarm might go up against a 120% trap, giving them a 80% chance to disarm. The biggest problem with that is that there is no way to know just what a trap's "attack" chance is.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well I very rarely fail with any of the guys with the better chance, and traps aren't exactly a giant deal anyways. There are +disarm chance trinkets if you're really worried. If you're in a state where not disarming a trap is a big deal, you should be leaving the mission.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Iron Chitlin posted:

The stats for trap disarm aren't entirely accurate. It is actually treated the same way a stun or bleed check is done, so a character with 100% trap disarm might go up against a 120% trap, giving them a 80% chance to disarm. The biggest problem with that is that there is no way to know just what a trap's "attack" chance is.

It doesn't seem to scale nearly as quickly as most things; characters with 100-110% disarm chance seem to succeed disarming champion tier traps almost all the time. Maybe -10% per tier. Really wish it did display the real chance, though.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Honestly, it's the complaint about traps that's the most befuddling to me. I didn't even find the Trap % stat until I was deep into the game, I just used trap disarm-ey characters and it worked out just fine, except for when I thought the Hound Master was a trap disarm-ey kinda guy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Honestly, it's the complaint about traps that's the most befuddling to me. I didn't even find the Trap % stat until I was deep into the game, I just used trap disarm-ey characters and it worked out just fine, except for when I thought the Hound Master was a trap disarm-ey kinda guy.

Hound Master is tied for the best trap disarmer short of the Graverobber.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thought I'd get my first heart attack vs the Necromancer and his stress-inducing poo poo, but after everyone turned Fearful and the Highwayman was 1 point from potential coronary failure, the Vestal turned Virtuous and rallied it back. Honestly thought those summoned skellytens would be tougher to deal with but luckily Plague Doctor's massive stacks of blight took down the Necro pretty well. Pretty sure that same PD I've had since the beginning, Marescot, has been a constant for like 3 bosses now. Blight stacking to like 10 points a round is fantastic if you can get it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Necromancer is pretty easy if you keep on top of killing his summons. Crusader works really well with his bonus to unholy damage, or even leper since grinding ranks 1/2 is what he does.

Preliminary runs of jester-occ-abom-MAA are pretty good, need to get them leveled to the higher level dungeons though. Having +80% dmg and +3% crit and 10 acc on abomination is really good, and he is a right quick bastard so he tends to blow enemies up pretty hard. Swapping MAA for hellion might be better at higher levels since she puts out more damage, though losing buff and MAA's other support makes the party a bit squishier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I didn't even find the Trap % stat until I was deep into the game

If anything, not being able to easily find things in this game at first was one of my old complaints. Gets better with time though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My A-Team's coming along nicely. I'm brave enough to try them with level 2 missions now I've killed the 8 Pounder and Hag. They're kind of held together by my Jester though, who raves the ruck out with her lute and keeps the entire party calm. Not sure what I'll do if she bites it. :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When I hover over a monster in combat there's an exclamation mark next to their moves. What does that mean, that they're currently usable?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

When I hover over a monster in combat there's an exclamation mark next to their moves. What does that mean, that they're currently usable?

I think it just lists moves you've seen that monster type perform before.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I think it just lists moves you've seen that monster type perform before.

You can only seen moves you've seen them perform before. I was under the impression the exclamation mark was for "new" moves you've seen in the current fight for the first time.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Is there a way to actually see what the moves do apart from the name? It'd be pretty neat to be able to mouse-over them, but that just swaps to your inventory view.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Not that I know of. Hopefully they add that.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm a few hours into the game so far and I think I'm sort of getting the hang of it after completely wiping on three of my first four missions. One question that I'm pretty sure of but I'd like to check anyway: I'm never going to get to the point (through upgrades or otherwise) where I can pull higher level dudes from the stagecoach, right? They'll always be level 0 and thus non-upgradable?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

OzFactor posted:

I'm a few hours into the game so far and I think I'm sort of getting the hang of it after completely wiping on three of my first four missions. One question that I'm pretty sure of but I'd like to check anyway: I'm never going to get to the point (through upgrades or otherwise) where I can pull higher level dudes from the stagecoach, right? They'll always be level 0 and thus non-upgradable?

yes

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Yep, for now they'll always be shitfarmers. There are a couple trinkets you can slap on them so they level faster, but it doesn't really help as much as giving them real trinkets so that they die less.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Yea this is one thing I'd love to see changed, throw in a milestone when you beat all the level X bosses that give you +1 level on new arrivals. Give an incentive to go kill them all and also move some of the annoying parts of making new guys if you lose high level ones. I should go make a forum account or whatever and make a thread sometime.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I doubt they'll do that, since it could lead to a situation where you can't go into low level dungeons.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea but once you've killed every single boss through the level 5 dungeons, do you really need to go trawling through level 1 dungeons?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just started playing this, are there any detailed posts about team synergies and ideal builds for the various classes?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
3 plague doctors and 1 leper

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Are we talking about the party or a hospice

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JT Jag posted:

I just started playing this, are there any detailed posts about team synergies and ideal builds for the various classes?

Pro rear end Pro Guide To Darkest Dungeon posted:

• dont fuckin' use jesters

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jesters have their place (in the back keeping everyone else from curling up into a fetal position while your Abomination wrecks poo poo).

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Do you get anything besides smug satisfaction for checking off all the "Level 6 of this hero" tasks?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah, the gamedevs come round to your house and cook you lunch

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
uh, wow. Level 3 quests really took me down from my position of King poo poo. :v:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This twitch streamer is an expert at FTL, but he's doing pretty well at darkest dungeon now and is entertaining in a goony way: http://www.twitch.tv/billy1kirby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How do you guys approach building your teams in the beginning of the game? Between all the classes, the different ability builds, and the limited roster space I'm having some real choice paralysis issues wrt figuring out how to go about getting a permanent roster going. Do you guys try to build an A/B/C Team from week 1? Do you just gently caress around and build up money/resources and upgrade stuff for a bit before settling down? Or is that the wrong approach in general and I should just focus on keeping a nice roster of good characters around and then mixing/matching them in the late game? I'm kind of taking the XCom approach to this game where I would just have a straight up A Team followed by a couple of backups, but does that even work here with the stress and the constant trips to the sanitarium?

Also are there any bonuses associated with embarking with a party that has a name like the Jack of all Trades team? Or is that just a little flavor thing?