Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah I don't have a clue about South American Pinot. German Pinots can be loving awesome for that cured/smoked meats when you find them, tho.

Btw - how's your GI Bill thing work? Do you have to use it on school, or can you spend it doing other stuff? I'd seriously recommend you do back-to-back-to-back Northern/Southern hemisphere harvests with winemakers you're interested in rather than Davis or Fresno or something. If you want to do classes just take a few at Santa Rosa JC or Napa Valley College.

It can be used for vocational studies, but Im pretty sure they wouldn't pay for me to go hop from vineyard to vineyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Was not expecting that... Whole foods has this great chardonnay called butter right now, I think it's pretty tasty. They also have a pinot called jam.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

In a serious post for once, here's what I've been drinking over the past week.

The Rougeard was awesome of course but desperately needs bottle age, the Gouges was frankly a disappointment, Villemade makes some of my favorite glouglou ever, Holger Koch might scratch idiotsavant's pinot rec pretty well, the Mullen Riesling was screaming acid but not a ton else, Herve Souhaut went down a storm with steak, and the Dupasquier Gamay is elevating the gently caress out of this burger.

What did you all drink for Thanksgiving? What's everyone having for Christmas wine?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
This summer I drank a shitload of Altesse and Jacquere out of Savoie, but I had no idea they grew Gamay. Gotta check that out. As a side note I remember some bomb rear end Gamay I had from a central Loire producer (it was imported into the US by Martine's, but that's all I remember). He did a Gamay with a bit of Cab Franc Blend that I can still taste to this day and that was at least 6 years ago.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Gamay has to be my favorite grape. This is probably the first week I haven't had bojo in over a year.

ETA
I've also been loving Berlioz recently and he has a red called Le Deuse which is mostly mondeuse, but has a solid dollop of Gamay in. And I think a little pinot? Lyle Fass imports it, a mailing list well worth signing up for, though he's pretty hyperbolic.

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 24, 2015

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I opened an '07 or '09 of the Dupasquier Gamay a couple months back and it was the loving tits. Also popped an 06 Mondeuse of theirs a while ago and it was nice in an aged, nice wine kind of way but it was definitely past its prime. Still have a few bottles of their stuff poking around in my closet - another bottle of 06 Mondeuse, some 08 Marestel, and a mag of 09 Pinot.

Speaking of magnums, I dragged a bunch of people out for a magnum dinner in Bernal Heights the other week. The idea being that you start collecting wine and end up with a bunch of magnums and don't really have the chance to open them unless you're doing dinner with like 6 people, so if you can get like 12-14 people together you can pop a bunch of mags and eat a bunch of food. Worked really well; we opened up 8 mags of various stuff and had a good time; I'll holler when I set up the next one. Forgot I had that Pinot, and it'd probably be good to open it up soon.

I feel like I want to start pushing Lodi as the Beaujolais of CA. Yeah, there's a sea of industrial poo poo rear end 17% Zin, but I've been checking on my Tempranillo blend lately and it is loving on fire. Loads of sweet, red fruit in a light, very fresh way with a lovely balance to it, and just enough astringency/bitterness on the back-end to bring it round. I wanna say it's something like 13.3%, too. This wine is gonna be rad.

edit: Christmas wine is going to be some of my own stuff probably plus maybe a birth year bottle of 16.25% Coturri Cab that a friend just gave me. I have no clue at all what the Coturri is gonna do, so might as well pop it open and see what happens!

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 24, 2015

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Have you ever said which winery you work for, idiotsavant? I totally understand if you want to keep your internet life and real life separate, but I'd also be interested in seeking out your wines in my home state, if possible.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My Christmas eve red:

http://www.buonvino.co.uk/tommy-ruff-shiraz-mourvedre-2014

It's something of a fruit bomb, but with smart precision guidance. Loads of fruit, but savoury and with plenty of acidity and body. Big but balanced. I haven't enjoyed many Australian reds, mostly my own fault due to not trying enough, but I loved this. And the NZ vs Burg fight is interesting, will definitely try some NZ Chards in the new year. Problem is, once any sort of wine gets compared to Burgs, the prices seem to follow quickly after.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I've had a streak of poo poo luck with niceish bottles this past week and it's been demoralizing. We opened a 2005 DeLille Harrison Hill that either had travel shock from our drive back from Yakima or was in a dumb phase because what should have been a rich powerful wine tasted like thin nothing. Then to celebrate my partner getting a new job we popped a 2009 Quilceda Creek red wine which smelled like a rubber hose and had no body or fruit whatsoever. :suicide:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

himajinga posted:

I've had a streak of poo poo luck with niceish bottles this past week and it's been demoralizing. We opened a 2005 DeLille Harrison Hill that either had travel shock from our drive back from Yakima or was in a dumb phase because what should have been a rich powerful wine tasted like thin nothing. Then to celebrate my partner getting a new job we popped a 2009 Quilceda Creek red wine which smelled like a rubber hose and had no body or fruit whatsoever. :suicide:

This can be cork issues, unless they were screw caps. Often it isn't full-on wet dog in a cellar, but just dead fruit.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

himajinga posted:

I had a similar experience to this with a 1995 Bouscasse (spelling may be off, its a Madiran by Brumont's more rustic domain) where it was very thin and drawn out initially, with dominating tannins still, and had some Brett funk, but with some air and time and a careful decant it really came alive. The sharp edged tannins receded a little, the acidity had seemed to come back, and it had some beautiful if light raspberry fruit under the secondary. So I guess I'm saying try decanting stuff like that sometimes!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Overwined posted:

Have you ever said which winery you work for, idiotsavant? I totally understand if you want to keep your internet life and real life separate, but I'd also be interested in seeking out your wines in my home state, if possible.

I work for me, baby! The wine is still only available in the SF Bay Area (pork, you might've had it at Terroir!), but I should have it in New York in the next couple of months. Super small quanitity at this point; my first commercial release is only about 150 cases. The reception has been really awesome, though - I love the places I've gotten it into, and they've almost all reordered at this point. Still feeling out the whole sales thing, though...

Anyways if you aren't in the area send me a PM and I can see about getting you a bottle or two.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Drank a '97 & '95 Opus One last night with a Special Club Paul Bara '04 Bouzy in conjunction some delicious steaks. The aging game finally paid off with a beautiful nose coming from the '97 and a faint hint of tannins. I feel like it could have aged for another ten years, which is when I'll open my last couple of bottles.

I had Cameron's 2013 Clos Electrique with dinner and it's definitely my favorite New World Pinot producer now; I've tried a variety of CA, NZ and other OR producers but I love the nose on this and the New World acidity is well muted and balanced; I can't wait to try an aged bottle of Cameron's products and want to thank this forum for letting me know such a great producer is close by.

NB even with shipping, purchasing from Oregon is far cheaper than anything CA stores have to offer; SEC wines offer the best deal on Cameron wines AFAIK.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

"New world acidity"

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Al the cool kids are picking at 20 brix, man. Watch out, fillings!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

pork never goes bad posted:

I had a similar experience to this with a 1995 Bouscasse (spelling may be off, its a Madiran by Brumont's more rustic domain) where it was very thin and drawn out initially, with dominating tannins still, and had some Brett funk, but with some air and time and a careful decant it really came alive. The sharp edged tannins receded a little, the acidity had seemed to come back, and it had some beautiful if light raspberry fruit under the secondary. So I guess I'm saying try decanting stuff like that sometimes!

Unfortunately we sipped at it for 3+ hours to no avail, some bits and pieces recovered after an hour or two and I even checked on it the next morning. With young wines I just drop in into the decanter without much fanfare and it seems to work great, should I be lightly running the juice down the wall of the decanter if it's an older wine so as not to piss it off too much?

Ola posted:

This can be cork issues, unless they were screw caps. Often it isn't full-on wet dog in a cellar, but just dead fruit.

Yeah, both corks were pretty crumbly which isn't an indicator in and of itself, but might be a tip.

Another newbie question I have in in regards to vibration's effects on wine during storage. I got a wine fridge off CL (I know, I know) and it seems to do ok, but the fan seems to run constantly. The compressor isn't running much but the fan is basically always on. Is this something I should be concerned about affecting the wine over long periods?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hi wine thread, I have a dumb question. You know how Cellar Tracker has the date range in which you should drink a wine? How important is it to drink the wine by the end of that range? I have 15 or so random bottles from My Wines Direct, which shut down in 2011. It's not very good wine, but coworkers and I began hoarding it when we realized that they would deliver to PA and their $10 bottles were slightly better than the average $10 bottle in the state liquor stores.

Most of them have a drinking range ending in 2014 or before. Obviously I won't die if I drink them now and that's not my question. I'm wondering if I can hold onto some of them for much longer, so that in 20 years I can tell the story of PA being a backwards moronic hellscape of temperance and getting hooch delivered to the office under the nose of the revenuers, and then cracking open some lovely wine of yesteryear. Or are they all going to be spoiled by then and I should drink them now?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's not in any way an exact science, but if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that about 2% of $10ish bottles can last 25 years, even assuming perfect storage conditions. And I am going to go out on a limb and guess your storage situation is less than ideal.

Here's what I think the relevant question is: What about the taste of the wine is going to convey your story about PA being backwards? You're basically just trying to make antiques. So to me you have two choices. Either open and drink by the end of 2016 (and you'll probably have some duds in there) and enjoy whatever they have left to give or don't open them at all and use them as artifacts of a time gone by.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Got it, thanks. If the answer isn't "they'll mostly be fine in 20 years" then I'll just drink them now. The whole bootlegger thing was just sarcasm to soften my idiot question.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Out of curiosity, what has stopped you from drinking them up to now? You've been holding these $10 bottles for, what, 4 years now?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm unexpectedly in NYC for new years, and a few days next week. Going to Reynard for dinner, and The Four Horseman and June for some horrible natty wine, but I'm less informed about retail out here. Planning to check out Chambers St Wines for sure, but do you guys have any other suggestions? Also interested in by the glass lists which are great or interesting.

And on a slightly different note, for any of you Beaujolais lovers out there, if you haven't had a chance to try Julie Balagny's wines, you owe it to yourself to seek them out - truly remarkable. I drank a bottle of her Fleurie Chavot (sorry for bad pic!) and watched The Expanse a few nights ago - I intended to open it and have a glass over the first ~hour while I was waiting for a friend to join me for dinner. I ended up housing the bottle before he arrived (I poured him a little taste! Not a totally terrible host!), and had to open something else with him, the wine was so undeniable, so lip-smackingly delicious. Stuff's got legs, will last a while, but the purity of fruit is killer and what really got me was the crazy aromatics - the glass was just alive with shifting sliding aromas of red fruits, and metallic soil. Julie is a student of Yvonne Metras, and has a few small parcels (about 4 or 5 hectares total I think) scattered around Fleurie and Moulin a Vent as well as some plain Beaujolais, with her chai in Romaneche Thorins (so Moulin a Vent's village, since that appelation is named after the windmill). I guess she just moved from a tiny facility into this new chai, so there's some growing pains, but 2014 was the first year wine was made in the new chai and this bottle was just stunning. If this is considered a quality drop off, I don't wanna know what it's gonna be like in a few more years when she's built up the nice crusty layers of yeast all over her facility (especially given the recent research on how terroir is in no small part micobiology in both vineyard and facility rather than, like, purely climat and soil and such). I have about a case of mixed stuff, plan to open one Cuvee Simone, and then bung the rest in the cellar for a couple of years at least.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Overwined posted:

Out of curiosity, what has stopped you from drinking them up to now? You've been holding these $10 bottles for, what, 4 years now?

I don't know, I stopped drinking them when My Wines Direct went under, and have just been buying other bottles from the state store to drink since.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Erwin posted:

I don't know, I stopped drinking them when My Wines Direct went under, and have just been buying other bottles from the state store to drink since.

For science and life experience, store them way beyond the crowd sourced drinking window. You'll learn something either way, the taste of a wine going downhill or proving CT wrong.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Natural wines are so hit-or-miss for me, and admittedly it's just a personal preference. I have a pretty low tolerance for brett, especially in richer wines, but not once have I ever thought to myself, "this has too much volatile acidity." Even when faults aren't a defining factor, I rarely find myself feeling just meh about natural wines.

idiotsavant posted:

This, unironically. Perhaps the best red wine ever made in this country is a Cab Franc that was bottled bone dry at 9.9% (that's 18 brix, maybe 19 or 20 at harvest if you lost a bit of % due to the wild ferment) with not a hint of capsicum or weediness, just electric red and blue fruit with a touch of currant and more minerality than actually possible.

Finally, go visit Madeira. The place itself is incredibly beautiful, the wine is the longest-lived in the world (and IMO the world's greatest dessert wine), and producers randomly have wines from, say, the 1940s open to taste.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

[quote="Kasumeat" post=""454579040"]
Finally, go visit Madeira. The place itself is incredibly beautiful, the wine is the longest-lived in the world (and IMO the world's greatest dessert wine), and producers randomly have wines from, say, the 1940s open to taste.
[/quote]

Yo can we be friends?

Also, tasted a 2005 and 2006 don Melchor side by side blind tonight. I guess what I learned is that I enjoy cooler years for Chilean cab.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

"New world acidity"

idiotsavant posted:

Not sure why but the New Zealand Pinot that someone recommended here tasted fine at first but after buying some more, the bottles had a really sour, acidic finish that wasn't as pleasant as before.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I don't know how to mock you best.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

I don't know how to mock you best.

Helldumping always works well or you could just do it on foodchat. I could mock you as well but I only do that when I want to be pedantic.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

Helldumping always works well or you could just do it on foodchat. I could mock you as well but I only do that when I want to be pedantic.

I mean cos its not fun now. Nz and goofy acidity makes sense. You took away my boring joke.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Any suggestions for bretty American wines? I'm a big fan of bretted beers but have not had much success finding something like that in the wine world and my impression from winemakers is that brett is the 100% the devil.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Jerome Louis posted:

Any suggestions for bretty American wines? I'm a big fan of bretted beers but have not had much success finding something like that in the wine world and my impression from winemakers is that brett is the 100% the devil.

Nalle Winery Zinfandel is the first wine that I think of that includes a blending component that is inoculated with brett.

Their website is actually pretty funny:

Nalle Website posted:

ahh, the wines...

Our wines are the greatest... blah, blah, blah, ...’cuz Andrew Nalle and Doug Nalle are genius winemakers... blah, blah, blah, ...and our growers are the smartest, most hardworking in the grape universe. You can drink our wines young, old and in between and they match perfectly with any and all foods. Click on the links to read more sober notes on our Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

This is a good piece to show anyone just getting into wine.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm looking to explore more French wines. Recently I've enjoyed some white Viognier based Côtes du Rhône and a Cru red Beaujolais. In the past I've loved white Bordeaux but I've had some bad ones recently. Dislike Chardonnay. Red Châteauneuf-du-Pape was a bit heavy for my tastes. Like Pinot Noir but haven't had much proper red Burgundy.

Realize that's a bit vague. Any tips? I got a coupon for Total Wine.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It sounds like you enjoy lighter red wines, so I'll stick in a plug for my favorite grape and region - Loire Cab Franc. Total Wine has Joguet Chinon, and apparently sometimes gets the Bretons wine. If you like Cru Bojo, you'll probably like the Joguet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alsace Riesling. And proper red Burgundy. And proper white Burgundy, so you start liking Chardonnay again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ola posted:

Alsace Riesling. And proper red Burgundy. And proper white Burgundy, so you start liking Chardonnay again.

I second all of these recommendations. I'd also consider trying a Chenin Blanc, either from Vouvray or Anjou. I don't have a bunch of experience with them, but the ones I've tried all stand out very positively in my mind.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Speaking of Loire, I had this this weekend and it was extremely tasty

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Ola posted:

I"m not sure what it is about Chardonnay, I feel like a less well-rounded wine drinker because obviously it's everywhere. I liked some "Chablis" once, the air quotes because it was a bulk American wine. Maybe real Chablis or other white Burgundy could be my entryway back into liking Chardonnay.

I like the Riesling rec, especially if it's drier. Found an old article from NYT about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/14/dining/wine-talk-the-best-rieslings-they-re-from-alsace.html

Interesting to hear Pouilly-Fumé is a Sauv Blanc style, may have to look into that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

I"m not sure what it is about Chardonnay, I feel like a less well-rounded wine drinker because obviously it's everywhere. I liked some "Chablis" once, the air quotes because it was a bulk American wine. Maybe real Chablis or other white Burgundy could be my entryway back into liking Chardonnay.

I like the Riesling rec, especially if it's drier. Found an old article from NYT about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/14/dining/wine-talk-the-best-rieslings-they-re-from-alsace.html

Interesting to hear Pouilly-Fumé is a Sauv Blanc style, may have to look into that.

I think the "cougar juice" style has ruined Chardonnay for many with its lack of acidity, clumsy overdone oak use and residual sugar. White Burg is dry but with a fat texture, loads of acid and tastes of nuts, butter, citrus, tropical fruits etc etc. Can be expensive as hell, but the (slighty) cheaper village/region level wines are great too. I think red Burg is different in that regard, the cheaper region level ones are not very good and the good ones are :homebrew:

Pouilly-Fumé is great, it also has a brother across the river called Sancerre. If the store doesn't have the one, it'll probably have the other. They're very similar in style, minerally dry, green apple and cirtus fruit and very refreshing. Good value as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Ola posted:

I think the "cougar juice" style has ruined Chardonnay for many with its lack of acidity, clumsy overdone oak use and residual sugar. White Burg is dry but with a fat texture, loads of acid and tastes of nuts, butter, citrus, tropical fruits etc etc. Can be expensive as hell, but the (slighty) cheaper village/region level wines are great too. I think red Burg is different in that regard, the cheaper region level ones are not very good and the good ones are :homebrew:

Pouilly-Fumé is great, it also has a brother across the river called Sancerre. If the store doesn't have the one, it'll probably have the other. They're very similar in style, minerally dry, green apple and cirtus fruit and very refreshing. Good value as well.

There's a huge amount of variation in white Burg, it's not fair to say the style you describe is common to all of them. Chablis is light, crisp, and mineral, and rarely oaked unless Grand Cru. Most styles are not obviously Chardonnay at all, being mistakable for Gruner, Muscadet, or Pinot Grigio. It's probably the best gateway Chardonnay. Cote D'Or Chard at the 1er and especially Grand Cru level is more or less what you describe. Maconnais and Cote Chalonnaise tend to be somewhere in between the styles - more richness than Chablis, but less aromatic intensity than Cote D'Or, though less delicacy than either.

Edit: Not to mention the dramatic differences between the cru levels.

Also, when in doubt, choose Pouilly-Fume over Sancerre. The former has less name recognition than the latter, which translates into better value for Pouilly-Fume nine times out of ten.

Kasumeat fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 1, 2016