Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

PinkoBastard posted:

Yeah only post recipes Sizone likes you pieces of loving poo poo.

that's unironically an excellent idea.

seriously, think about it for a minute, visualize the experience, do you really want to drink a beverage that has dine chunks in it? one of the main reasons for the dine thread is to prove to the skeptical that dines are tasty, not gross. talk of dine cocktails is seriously undoing something like a year of dine bridge building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sizone posted:

that's unironically an excellent idea.

seriously, think about it for a minute, visualize the experience, do you really want to drink a beverage that has dine chunks in it? one of the main reasons for the dine thread is to prove to the skeptical that dines are tasty, not gross. talk of dine cocktails is seriously undoing something like a year of dine bridge building.

Yeah that's fair, I edited my post because I re-read yours and got the point. Although now there are so many dine converts, myself included, that i think we're going to start seeing some slightly weirder recipes.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I made this sardine recipe for dinner tonight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTkVFNptRo

I had to butterfly the fresh sardines myself after the fishmonger refused (stating it was impossible to do, the jerk) but it came out pretty well.

Finish it under the broiler for a couple minutes and you've got a nice dish. Also, I now have fish hands. I smell like a gynecologist.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Admiral Bosch posted:

look who stocked up, dad thread

pretty stoked about the spanish style and the bar harbor

Did the same- live near a wegmans. I'm still dipping my toes in the sardine pool though. I should try them with eggs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

I made this sardine recipe for dinner tonight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTkVFNptRo

I had to butterfly the fresh sardines myself after the fishmonger refused (stating it was impossible to do, the jerk) but it came out pretty well.

Finish it under the broiler for a couple minutes and you've got a nice dish. Also, I now have fish hands. I smell like a gynecologist.

Butterfly a dine damson that some fish surgery

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Butterfly a dine damson that some fish surgery

To be fair, they're the bigger grilling variety.

naem
May 29, 2011

It's New Year's Eve and my entire extended family made me meet up in a literal tree house bed and breakfast in the damp rainforest section of Hawaii, there is no alcohol, and wild boars are watching me poop into a toilet 20 feet off the ground, I'm def not getting to make out drunkenly with anyone at midnight, however I did introduce sardines to a ten and seven year old which is ironic as I am the only non-dad present

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Congratulations on out-dadding the actual dads on your Hawaii trip.

Next up you should spear fish some 'dines & grill them up.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Obligatory Toast posted:

live near a wegmans.

savor this as you have yet to learn the pain of not living near a Wegmans. Like me.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

after careful introspection ive decided to leave the sardines out of the drinks and just make some fishermans eggs and get drunk on the spicy bloody ceasars

happy new year

im so drat tired

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

naem posted:

It's New Year's Eve and my entire extended family made me meet up in a literal tree house bed and breakfast in the damp rainforest section of Hawaii, there is no alcohol, and wild boars are watching me poop into a toilet 20 feet off the ground, I'm def not getting to make out drunkenly with anyone at midnight, however I did introduce sardines to a ten and seven year old which is ironic as I am the only non-dad present

it's not boars, it's me, I'm watching you poop

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gonna go to trader joes for some more dines

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
burn trader joes to the ground (after you have liberated all they tasty dines)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

these are hella good everyone, way better than the jalapeno packed ones. not hot sauce needed. get em

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Give Pat a Job posted:

savor this as you have yet to learn the pain of not living near a Wegmans. Like me.

Oh no, it's a pain I once knew well. All too well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking about sardines just now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Man this weather girl sure is a fat pig what's wrong with this town

BLAM TIME FOR JEOPARDY

https://gfycat.com/SkinnyHeavyGlassfrog

raton fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 2, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So I invented a Sardine recipe today. Today was a "gently caress this, I'm not going shopping I'll make some poo poo outta what I got" day. Here's what I did.

--Preheated the oven to 425
--Cut a perfectly ripe avocado in half and took out the pit
--Spooned out a bit of each pit hole to make it more or less parabolic across the length and width. I put the stuff I scooped out into a bowl.
--Into that same bowl I put some goat cheese, some roughly chopped up sardines, some Chow-chow, salt and pepper, a little olive oil, and a small squeeze of lemon juice.
--Loosely mixed up the contents of the bowl and put equal parts into the avocado halves, topping with a bit more goat cheese.
--Put the avocado halves into a small oven-safe dish and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
--Served on a plate with some toast and spooned out the avocados and their stuffing onto the toast.

It was really good. 10 minutes in the oven was enough to get the avocado just a bit warm, but not hot or bitter and I saw no browning. The warmth made the avocado flesh nice and silky.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
California Girl sardines in spicy tomato sauce trip report:

Bad. Real bad. The fish are very mushy and are, if anything, lower quality than Bumblebee. The sauce makes up at least half of the net weight, and it's also nothing special - like thinner ketchup. The taste of the fish isn't great; it's nondescript, generic fishiness.

I don't recommend this brand, even at the budget price of $1.54 for a 15oz tin. I'll gladly pay a dollar more for half as much KO Royal Mackerel.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So are "skinless & boneless" sardines basically really small fish fillets?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

So are "skinless & boneless" sardines basically really small fish fillets?

Sounds pretty lame, whatever it is. Bones are the best part.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Thump! posted:

Sounds pretty lame, whatever it is. Bones are the best part.

in general, yet, but season are my favorite dine. everything else is there, texture flavor, price, I can live w/out the bones.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gws crosspost

the other day when i saw this thread i was like "wow i should make fisherman eggs" so thats what i did. i dont trust sheep-goats though after he burned nooner so i used the top recipe in a google search for fisherman's eggs without any further research

fresh parsley picked outside this morning :yum:

at this point it already smelled really good. After 5 minutes this stuff wasn't really sizzling to my liking yet so i baked an extra 5 mins before adding the eggs.

served on a slice of homemade sourdough toasted with olive oil

all in all this was an incredibly easy meal with minimal cleanup that filled the place with awesome smells and I'd have been happy to pay good money for it at an upscale brunch. a+ will cook again

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
White onion?!

:frogout:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

marauderthirty posted:

White onion?!

:frogout:

for when you want that onion flavor without the sweetness of a yellow or red. that also might be shallot, which is probably what you're supposed to traditionally use.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Got drunk last night and poured a tin of dines in hot sauce over a half bowl of cheez its. Mixed it all together and ate it like a bowl of cereal.

Was way better than I had any right to expect.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ChrisHansen posted:

Got drunk last night and poured a tin of dines in hot sauce over a half bowl of cheez its. Mixed it all together and ate it like a bowl of cereal.

Was way better than I had any right to expect.

sardines- what is the meal that will induce the most painful poo poo?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gross, cheesits

naem
May 29, 2011

would

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sizone posted:

for when you want that onion flavor without the sweetness of a yellow or red. that also might be shallot, which is probably what you're supposed to traditionally use.

Yellow onion is a trash onion

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Red onion supremacy

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mange Mite posted:

Yellow onion is a trash onion

yellow onion is perfectly adequate for, like, 95% of onion requiring applications and the best suited onion for, like, 30-50% of onion requiring applications. you are an onion idiot.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
When I am cooking with onion I usually use white. If i need raw onion, I usually use red. The white onion flavor stands up better to cooking, IMO, and a (fresh) red is mild enough to use in quantity on a salad or as a raw sandwich ingredient or whatever. Of course, something about my opinion on this probably indicates that I am a huge pussy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
No, that's the common thought regarding onions: white/yellow if cooked, red if raw.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
no, that's totally right. yellow is the goldilocks that can be used raw in a pinch (or for potent poo poo like chili dogs or pico de gallo) and which cooks up a little on the sweet/mild side. the point being that it's versatile, not garbage.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The only wrong onion opinion is not liking onions.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Had my tin of Bumblebee in mustard. Meh.

Added some deli mustard and ate them with ritz crackers. Pretty darn good. I'll venture into the other tins I have later in the week. I think it's a wings and beer night, since it's still the season of indulgence.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 2, 2016

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
I'll know shortly what all this hubbub is about.

That's for 3 tins. Enough, I think, to form an impression.

Baxter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 2, 2016

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Baxter posted:

I'll know shortly what all this hubbub is about.

That's for 3 tins. Enough, I think, to form an impression.

dude, you paid 6$ a tin for KO tiny tots. the only impression that's going to form is that you got badly ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

Sizone posted:

dude, you paid 6$ a tin for KO tiny tots. the only impression that's going to form is that you got badly ripped off.

point taken

If they're good I'll find a local place to get them cheaper.