Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Watch the Academy get confused and give Age of Ultron the Award for "Best Radness" in an award show shown exclusively on VOD presented by Ja Rule as they attempt to seem relevant.

As long as they don't have Travolta announce Ja Rule...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It won't win Best Picture but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see George Miller take out Best Director. Especially when you consider he's in his 70s, been around for a while but didn't do any really big serious projects since the last Mad Max films, and everyone was talking about what a fresh take it was on the genre etc.

I keep thinking of the conclusion to the review on Roger Ebert's website:

quote:

“Fury Road” would be remarkable enough as a pure technical accomplishment—a film that laughs in the face of blockbuster CGI orgies with some of the best editing and sound design the genre has ever seen—and yet Miller reaches for something greater than technical prowess. He holds aloft the action template that he created with “The Road Warrior” and argues that Hollywood shouldn’t have been copying it for the past three decades, they should have been building on it. “Fury Road” is a challenge to a whole generation of action filmmakers, urging them to follow its audacious path into the genre’s future and, like Miller, try their hardest to create something new.

edit - and while I'm bumming around on that website, noticed the picture at the top of this article:

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/im-just-here-for-the-gasoline-an-overview-of-the-mad-max-saga

Chalk up another callback. It's on the other hand, but Gibson wears a semi-fingerless glove mimicked by the bandage on Tom Hardy's left hand in in Fury Road. :allears:

freebooter fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 14, 2015

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
More good news for Fury Road:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2015/12/fury-road-snags-13-critics-choice-noms-and-dano-lands-another-one-2/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

One my theater customers gave me an unused theatrical release poster! So happy!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

As long as they don't have Travolta announce Ja Rule...

I do not get this joke and for that I am sorry.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cause that one time Travolta thought that Idina Menzel was pronounced "Adele Dazeem"

I was implying that he would mangle Ja Rule's name somehow.

It wasn't a very good joke.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

Cause that one time Travolta thought that Idina Menzel was pronounced "Adele Dazeem"

I was implying that he would mangle Ja Rule's name somehow.

It wasn't a very good joke.

It's better than John Travolta deserves.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Fury Road made more critics' top-10 lists than any other film this year.

http://criticstop10.com/

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Fury Road SHOULD sweep like ten categories but at least it's probably a lock for Best Actress, Best Director, and I'll be damned if it doesn't win Best Visual Effects even if realistically Star Wars is gonna clean up in technical categories and I'm gonna be sad about it. Eddie Redmayne is also gonna end up winning Best Actor again and I'm gonna be upset for months.

Astrofig posted:

Fury Road made more critics' top-10 lists than any other film this year.

http://criticstop10.com/

On the other hand I'm very pleased that Tangerine is getting the recognition it deserves!

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 31, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Philip Rivers posted:

Fury Road SHOULD sweep like ten categories but at least it's probably a lock for Best Actress, Best Director, and I'll be damned if it doesn't win Best Visual Effects even if realistically Star Wars is gonna clean up in technical categories and I'm gonna be sad about it. Eddie Redmayne is also gonna end up winning Best Actor again and I'm gonna be upset for months.

I dunno if I even think it should win any of those. I mean, don't get me wrong, but Sicario gives it a run for it's money in both Best Actress and Best Director. And that's just off the top of my head, I haven't watched most of this year's oscar bait. Action movies almost never get best actor/actress wins. It really should win Visual Effects though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Snak posted:

I dunno if I even think it should win any of those. I mean, don't get me wrong, but Sicario gives it a run for it's money in both Best Actress and Best Director. And that's just off the top of my head, I haven't watched most of this year's oscar bait. Action movies almost never get best actor/actress wins. It really should win Visual Effects though.

Fury Road is so transcendent though and has been getting incredible recognition from other people in the film industry. I'll be crushed if Miller or Theron get robbed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It deserves at least one statue for something. Even sound design and score was up there.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It could realistically walk away with Film, Director, Actress, Visual Effects, Costume Design, Score, Sound Design, and Makeup/Hair. Supporting Actor is probably a stretch but drat if Hoult wouldn't deserve it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It won't win anything because gently caress the meaningless Academy Awards.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Philip Rivers posted:

Fury Road is so transcendent though and has been getting incredible recognition from other people in the film industry. I'll be crushed if Miller or Theron get robbed.
I mean, it's good, but honestly, I don't think Theron's performance is like, amazing. It's such an economically and well directed film, I feel like it would have been almost good with much worse actors in most of the roles. I'm not hating on her performance at all, but there are movies that are carried by the performances of the actors in them, and I don't feel like Fury Road is one of them. If that makes sense.

Miller totally deserves it for director though. As I said above, there are some films where great performances make a movie, and some movies where great direction and cinematography make the film. I feel like Fury Road is the latter.

For example, Alicia Vikander's performance in Ex Machina is far more central to the quality of the film than Theron's is in Fury Road. Again, Theron is a great actress and she does great in the film, I would just kind of rather see it go to Vikander or Blunt.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 31, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jeeves posted:

They won't even nominate one of the vehicles for acting.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They won't even nominate one of the vehicles for acting.
The War Rig should win Best Actress.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jeeves posted:

This movie will not win non-technical Oscars.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Best Actress will probably go to Brie Larson in Room. I don't see any awards buzz for Theron outside of this thread. Although I could envision Fury Road getting noms for Best Picture and Director easily.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Philip Rivers posted:

It could realistically walk away with Film, Director, Actress, Visual Effects, Costume Design, Score, Sound Design, and Makeup/Hair. Supporting Actor is probably a stretch but drat if Hoult wouldn't deserve it.

Production Design is a category, and if it doesn't win there is no justice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah logically I am not seeing this take the big categories. Maybe a few nods (Theron could get one like Sigourney Weaver did for Aliens) but I'm not seeing big wins outside of the technical categories and even those get weird.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It'll lose production design and costuming to some stuffy period piece hth

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

jeeves posted:

Pretty much this.

Star Wars will sweep the technical awards even though BB-8 was the only thing impressive about the film, and something horrendous will win Best Picture, etc.

Every critic on earth is calling this the film of the year but that doesn't matter because the Oscars are voted on by people like Rob Schneider and Brett Ratner.

e: and as far as costuming and effects, I'd personally choose Krampus, but neither will win poo poo because whatever movie was set greater than 60 years ago will win because the Oscars are voted on by complete morons and not critics.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ah, I see we're in the 'ten pages of discussion about how the Oscars don't matter' part of the thread.

I'll join in. gently caress the Oscars. They gave best editing to Return of the King, a film which is 8 days long and feels longer. It wouldn't quite so heinous if 'City of God' hadn't been up for the same award, which is loving incredible, is probably the best Scorsese movie he didn't direct, and is actually better than several movies he did direct. That was the exact moment when I understood that the Oscars were a very unreliable barometer of quality.

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be less Oscar bait this year. Fewer movies built to win Oscars. All the ones under discussion sound like movies I actually want to watch.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Having seen Revenant, its Oscar buzz as the BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR is completely unfounded. It's a very mediocre film with a few decent scenes.

Which means it will probably sweep the Oscars, along with a best actor award for whatever movie had a gay boxer overcoming racism in a rural town during an autistic AIDS epidemic in WW2, wherein the lead actor does a horrendous and completely alien sounding "southern" accent which Californians can't tell is a cross between Foghorn Leghorn and Barney Fife.

And best sound editing or some poo poo will go to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because the producer needs an Oscar on his resume so he can swindle Chinese investors.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
I'll agree with those that say Fury Road will get little to no Oscar love. It's not the type of movie Hollywood hands out awards to, especially non-technical. I'm hoping it at least gets a few nominations.

Anyway....it's New Year's Eve, and tonight's plans include staying home, grilling some steaks, drinking some drinks, and popping my blu-ray of Fury Road in the player.

Witness!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll join in. gently caress the Oscars. They gave best editing to Return of the King, a film which is 8 days long and feels longer.

Editing is as much about the arrangement of shots within a scene as it is about a film's total length.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Editing seems like it'd be a lock, especially if the Academy members know the film was edited down from 400+ hours of footage. I could see some camera or drone rigs winning technical categories, too, but films like this one just don't win Oscars.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Editing is as much about the arrangement of shots within a scene as it is about a film's total length.

Return of the King is 201 minutes long. If you can't trim that down to something reasonable, you need to make 2 movies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Return of the King is 201 minutes long. If you can't trim that down to something reasonable, you need to make 2 movies.

An unfortunate trend that started a few years later...

Hell with the Hobbit they made three three-hour long movies that were all poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

And that was entirely unspectacular in Return, even clumsy. There's a fair few shots, especially in the battle scenes, where the action and reaction of sword blows seem to happen in different countries, or where the shot is held long enough for you to realise the actor is stabbing nothing. Unlike City of God, which was truly spectacular (go watch City of God, right the gently caress now)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I rewatched all of the extended editions of the Lord of the Rings films recently. Good god they are bad as films. They are a lot of fun, and could have worked well as a 12 hour series, but it's just a big long pile of expository scenes with "epic" landscapes interspersed with "epic" battles.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

I rewatched all of the extended editions of the Lord of the Rings films recently. Good god they are bad as films. They are a lot of fun, and could have worked well as a 12 hour series, but it's just a big long pile of expository scenes with "epic" landscapes interspersed with "epic" battles.

I don't think Jackson ever moved past a very video gamey understanding of action scenes. I know that's a cliche, but each element of these large, complex battles seems to function independently of every other part, like levels. Here's the catapult level, the infantry level, the cavalry level, the elephant level, and so on. Each element exists in its on little segment, and then is gone.
Compare it with, say, Kingdom of Heaven, where the ladders, towers, catapults, archers are all present. The elements intermingle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Return of the King is loving brutal and anyone who tells you to watch the Extended cut is insane.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
<snip-LOTR chat moved to gen chat thread. My bad>

edit: I'm going to move this entire post to GenChat because I forgot what thread I'm in and it's horribly offtopic here.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 31, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lol at this thread now

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Oscars are about as important as chrome is from a realistic standpoint.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Oscars are about as important as chrome is from a realistic standpoint.
Less important, really, since chrome helps prevent rust.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Fury Road was my favourite movie of this year or probably the last couple years but the acting -- while totally serviceable and competent -- really doesn't stand out. I haven't seen all that many movies this year so I can't immediately think of a better candidate for best actress but I wouldn't say that Theron was being "robbed" if she doesn't get the award (or even a nomination).

On the other hand if Star Wars does beat Fury Road at any of the technical categories then that'll be hilariously stupid. Not that it matters because as everyone else has pointed out the Oscars have always been a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
At 10pm eastern our new years party has decided that we're putting on fury road. It doesn't matter that it will mostly be on the background on a big TV, but it will set the mood for midnight.

• Locked thread