Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Their tier list has gotten me some good damage numbers. They weren't that much fun though, it seems to largely be lasers, lasers , lasers in the top tiers.

Well when PPC and gauss suck, its lasers lasers lasers unless you can put a whole bunch of UAC or SRMs on your mechdick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I've been running a top dog thunderbolt with LPLs on it for the last few days and it seems to work pretty well. Certainly seems viable as a cbill grinding hero mech at least.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The oxide seems to run around and shoot people in the dick with multiple srms

What's probably the best missile boat to get into? One of the clan mechs? I wound up grabbing an oxide and an x-5 and a top dog.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

ZenVulgarity posted:

The oxide seems to run around and shoot people in the dick with multiple srms

What's probably the best missile boat to get into? One of the clan mechs? I wound up grabbing an oxide and an x-5 and a top dog.

the stormcrow-d or a griffin-3m

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

teepo posted:

the stormcrow-d or a griffin-3m

Importantly, the torsos and arms from the stormcrow-D. Due to how omni technology works, any Stormcrow chassis (determined by the center torso) can carry any stormcrow build; you just have to put on the right limbs.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Endbuster posted:

Well when PPC and gauss suck, its lasers lasers lasers unless you can put a whole bunch of UAC or SRMs on your mechdick.

I said they produce solid damage, they just don't have the fun factor of dropping two AC20s on some robots dome.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I said they produce solid damage, they just don't have the fun factor of dropping two AC20s on some robots dome.

This is why I still play a AS7-DDC-ECM outta nowhere brawler.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Importantly, the torsos and arms from the stormcrow-D. Due to how omni technology works, any Stormcrow chassis (determined by the center torso) can carry any stormcrow build; you just have to put on the right limbs.

Does it matter if I get a champion mech if I want a stormcrow NOW and just swap out certain parts later?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

teepo posted:

buying an x5 is mandatory if you're a persian and despite having become quite good with the recent changes, the 2b is still better

What's the appeal of the X-5? I thought it looked kinda boring and no one ever seems to mention it, let alone recommend it. For that matter, what does the Death's Knell bring to the table for fun or competency?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bait and Swatch posted:

tbf this is what the dude's individual mech guides are for, and he does have some fun stuff in there

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Does it matter if I get a champion mech if I want a stormcrow NOW and just swap out certain parts later?

Don't buy champion mechs.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Sard posted:

What's the appeal of the X-5? I thought it looked kinda boring and no one ever seems to mention it, let alone recommend it. For that matter, what does the Death's Knell bring to the table for fun or competency?

It's a medium that runs at 120+ kph is why I bought it

A.o.D. posted:

Answer me!!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

you can just buy omnipods for it and do whatever you want

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Answer me!!!

Don't buy champion mechs because the premium you pay for increased xp gain is loving worthless, you bad.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Sard posted:

two reasons, quirks and the dynamic structure hardpoints. now that the cicada has dynamic hardpoints in place and with the addition of quirks, the x5 has become a decent brawler that can sit back and poke at the enemy safely with its generous 35% range quirk and hang with the best of them in a brawl with its ability to spit out srm6s. it plays like a cross between a jenner-d and a hunchback-4sp that goes around 140kmph. you can even remove the srms and boat lasers effectively with its awesome energy quirks. its major draw back is that it is a cicada, meaning you need to have some skill in piloting unlike other lights. in short, it's not the best mech but it's in a very good place atm

and i never said the death's knell really brought anything to the table but since you're curious, it is a more durable locust that looses its arms -- which houses all its energy hardpoints -- far too quickly. any mech that reaches 170kmph is a fun mech in my book

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

teepo posted:

the ilya only becomes a good mech when it is built around an xl340.

I would like to know more about this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

like all Spiders it is fun to zoom around in but has like zero damage potential

That Spider

:colbert:

50% energy cooldown, -25% laser duration. The LPL will recharge and fire before the LPL's weapon recharge sound finishes starts. I'm not saying it's great--it's certainly no Arctic Cheetah, so the last thing you want to do is engage an enemy light `Mech, but if you catch someone alone or distracted or someone who can't aim and/or has lovely ping this will ruin them. It also repurposes the Raven's 255XL so if you've got Ravens you can run around annoying the poo poo out of people and killing bads with machineguns.

For sheer 'dicking around' factor, it's also pretty hard to top This Jerk.

Ever been envious of enemy UAVs and want to take the fight to them on their terms? Now you can! Ever been circling a Dire Wolf or an Atlas and thought it'd be really funny to suddenly vanish like Batman and leave him no clue where you are or where you vanished to? Now you can! Ever been in a light `Mech duel and just really, really wanted to be anywhere else? Now you can!

With just a push of your Space Bar suddenly you're about 150 meters over everything else's heads! Just remember to save about 20-25% fuel for the landing because this Spider can only survive four max-height jumps before snapping its own legs off.

Edit: I have cleared the cooling towers in River City on this piece of poo poo. It's pretty great terrible great.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 31, 2015

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

armchairyoda posted:

ILYA MUROMETS

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I bought a garbage can :ohdear:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Or you could do this and last much longer in a firefight.

LESS RETARDED ILYA MUROMETS

But then, why aren't you using a wubbolt if you want to boat LPLs?

Stringbean posted:

I bought a garbage can :ohdear:

Be the best piece of trash you can be!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
At what point does ping become a noticeable factor in this game? I live in middle-of-nowhere Arizona and get terrible ping (sometimes as high as 200) and have not noticed any problems whatsoever.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Bait and Swatch posted:

At what point does ping become a noticeable factor in this game? I live in middle-of-nowhere Arizona and get terrible ping (sometimes as high as 200) and have not noticed any problems whatsoever.

200 is about where I start noticing it.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Bait and Swatch posted:

Playing from New Zealand, I get around 220 on the North American servers, 250-280ish on European servers, and about 320 on the Oceania servers (!?). Doesn't really make an appreciable impact on my gameplay, either - just a little warping around if I end up rubbing up against another mech.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

armchairyoda posted:

i seriously think cataphracts are bad mechs, especially when they're running xl255s and xl280s. the only advantage you'd have is that you will be packing a lot of firepower but you'd be forced to stare down your opponent, meaning you're MAYBE guaranteed one kill a match -- a big maybe now that you're more than likely facing a clan mech -- and every full moon or so you'll go on a hot streak. perhaps this is what most people are looking for, but it defiantly doesn't cater to my playstyle

the benefits of a cataphract is that since it's has a fairly low height, it receives some of the benefits of a medium mech, meaning it can climb hills and maneuver better than most heavies -- always use this to your advantage. this is especially true when you max out the engine. i do think they have recently changed this due how mech profiles were loving with the jumpjets but how this has affected the cataphract, i wouldn't know since PGI doesn't nicely document these things for the public.

a huge engine also helps mitigate a huge drawback of the ilya, its low slung arms, which forces you to exposes your entire mech to get a good shot at an opponent effectively making you a glass cannon. with an xl340, you don't necessarily need to commit to any engagements when you can maneuver at around 84kmph with a fairly decent torso yaw speed and turn rate.

this is just my unpopular opinion but i did fairly well with the ilya. i haven't played it much post quirks but i still did more than decent when i brought it out during the past year or so, especially with the ac5 build. anyways, here are my three go to builds i quickly put together

ILYA 3AC5s, 3MLs, XL340
ILYA 2LB10x, 3MPL, XL340 (can substitute MLs)
ILYA 2AC10s, 3MLs, XL340

even though i haven't played it much recently, i wouldn't recommend anybody buying an ilya today, let alone a cataphract.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

A.o.D. posted:

Or you could do this and last much longer in a firefight.

LESS RETARDED ILYA MUROMETS

But then, why aren't you using a wubbolt if you want to boat LPLs?
It was posited that perhaps the only good build for the Ilya involves an XL 340. I just did the only really viable XL 340 Ilya build.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

If I decided to be real dumb and got a Hero mech, how good/bad is the Misery?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Axetrain posted:

AC/20, 2 lpls in the left arm, biggest STD engine you can cram in it, use the right side of the mech as a sheild (optional medium laser in the CT?)

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Axetrain posted:

I did this with my new Misery (AC/20, 2xLPL,1x MPL in the CT that rarely gets used, STD 300, the rest in ammo and sinks) on my second trip out, and I am not very good, so it seems like a good robot to me. Highlight was soloing a pristine Misery after I'd been shot to poo poo because the idiot never once twisted away from my barrage as I advanced.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 1, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Point of clarity: Never buy any robot, but if you do, don't buy a champion mech unless it's in a mastery pack, then it's OK.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've been dumb and bought the Griffin mastery pack.

What're some good builds for the 2N and 1S? I'm doing this for the Sparky: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=210&l=57e37731838228b45f94d6f4baaec34192e8ade6 (thanks, Popgun).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 1, 2016

Mr_M
Dec 10, 2008
'Phracts may not be the end all be all of competitive mechs, but you can still put out quite a bit of damage while tanking decently if you know how to torso twist. It also depends on team comp and what you're trying to do with it.
Some generic non murphy lab ideas to consider trying
4x AC5's on the CTF 4x
Ultra AC 5 Murdermets
5med lasers AC20 CTF-1x

The rest comes down to teamwork, intel, and just generally not trying to 1v3 the enemy.

My personal favorite is the Wubbaphract 1x
3LPL 2MPL, XL350

It might look like a whatthesquawk build, but its a heckuva lot of fun, and was a downright monster pre-clans.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Is it intentional that I cannot fire more than two gauss at a time?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is it intentional that I cannot fire more than two gauss at a time?

Yes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Still on Griffin chat, how bad does this 1S look: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=272&l=7eebda6d4958d061570707309c5fe4bc004272b2

It seems okay on paper since MPL + SRM-6 both have similar ranges and are brawling weapons. The engine is an XL295 and not a 300 because I'm not made of C-bills and will have the 295 from that Sparky build.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What're some good builds for the 2N and 1S? I'm doing this for the Sparky: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=210&l=57e37731838228b45f94d6f4baaec34192e8ade6 (thanks, Popgun).

2N: 4x SRM4s with artemis, 2 medium lasers for the arm and ECM. STD250ish engine unless you want a big XL to terrify light mechs and love torso twisting.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

mashed_penguin posted:

I've been running a top dog thunderbolt with LPLs on it for the last few days and it seems to work pretty well. Certainly seems viable as a cbill grinding hero mech at least.

This is what i've been doing today as well, trying out large lasers and large pulses with mediums and medium pulses.. so far i like this 3 LPLs with 3 mediums. But I also liked the STD 300 engine with 6 MPLs..

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

DancingShade posted:

2N: 4x SRM4s with artemis, 2 medium lasers for the arm and ECM. STD250ish engine unless you want a big XL to terrify light mechs and love torso twisting.

I run an xl because I like to go (die) fast.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ever been envious of enemy UAVs and want to take the fight to them on their terms? Now you can! Ever been circling a Dire Wolf or an Atlas and thought it'd be really funny to suddenly vanish like Batman and leave him no clue where you are or where you vanished to? Now you can! Ever been in a light `Mech duel and just really, really wanted to be anywhere else? Now you can!

With just a push of your Space Bar suddenly you're about 150 meters over everything else's heads! Just remember to save about 20-25% fuel for the landing because this Spider can only survive four max-height jumps before snapping its own legs off.

Edit: I have cleared the cooling towers in River City on this piece of poo poo. It's pretty great terrible great.

I have to really echo poptarts here. Spiders are just amazing to zip around in. I run mine with an active probe and a sensor range module. I'll have to try the medpulses out, I only had room for small lasers on mine.

But 12 jump jets and a 1200m detect range wins matches just by virtue of map control. You just pop into the air and you can see everything forever.

Notes on spiders:
The 5V can fit up to a 285 and 12 jump jets but only has 2 CT lasers
the 5k is probably the most frustrating for me. 6 jumpjets max isn't quite mobile enough for spidermanning about, but it was passable with an AC2 in the arm harassing things at range. I'll have to try it with an LPL.
The 5d is great. Ecm owns. up to 8 jets is enough to get anywhere you need to, but its locked to a 255 max. 3 laser hardpoints is nice, 2 of em are in one arm and I found it outstanding for hit and running due to actually having good traverse at speed.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Some combination of mediums, pulses, srm4a/srm4/srm6 to suit your fancy and wallet all around. I had good luck running them as light-eaters with the same BAP setup as my spider. I mulled around between xl280, xl255 and xl300 depending on the day. 280's just felt fast enough but 300's were zippy.
Haven't tried going faster because i'm too cheap to buy new engines. How do griffins fare zombieing it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
A SDR-5V with 2 MPLs and an STD engine (and fitting in 3 jets too!) was the dumbest thing I made. It made getting kills/blowing off limbs with it all the funnier. :iamafag:

• Locked thread