Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know how long this plans on playing at 70mm in the Bay Area? I won't be able to make it to one of the theaters until the end of January.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pwn posted:

Re: The souvenir programs: From what I've gathered, there are at least 8 different centerfold posters. Since there is a collectable angle with them and others might be curious what they look like, I thought I'd post the ones I've seen so far. Ruth is mine and Domergue, Bob, and Warren are from friends across the country.

Edit: When I went with my friends we all got Ruth; a friend in Miami went two times a few days apart and got different ones each time.
Just checked mine:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My buddy and I saw it in Miami on Sunday, and we both got Marquis Warren.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

San Antonio and Mannix, here.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just got out of the roadshow in Sacramento, hot drat was that an intense, fun experience. If you like Reservoir Dogs you'll like this.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Why did they keep the character QT wrote for Christoph Waltz if they couldn't get him? Wouldn't it have been better to let Tim Roth be a separate character, make his own cover story? Is this some metafictional comment on fan fiction or something?
Also Tarantino has made enough movies to know that we don't need narration for one scene, especially when the events of the narration are literally happening on screen. So it has to be a reference to some other movie, unless something went wrong in editing OR he just couldn't stand NOT making a cameo, to the point where he's willing to ruin the flow of the film up to that point just to give himself lip service. Since I don't believe he could possibly be THAT stupid, what other movie was that referencing?

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I was in Charlotte, NC and got Marquis Warren.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Saw the roadshow in Montreal earlier tonight. All in all, a very enjoyable ride. But no programmes to be found :(

Thinking back on it, I think one of my favorite thing about the movie was the red Jelly Bean shot as Warren entered Millie's. The slow pan down that feels like it's going to be a basement transition shot, but stops once the Jelly bean is revealed. That single shot set up a lot of stuff in a quick second.
Obviously: reinforces that Warren is suspicious
implies poo poo happened prior to their arrival
Put the basement in my mind at least for a few seconds, so the nut shot did not come COMPLETELY out of nowhere
Announced the presence of important clues in the background, which made the post-intermission reveal that I missed one more impactful.

I was not expecting the intermission to have that big an impact on my movie watching experience. I though it was going to just be a throwback, but boy was I wrong.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Late to the party here, but has anybody noticed how far the movie goes out of its way to pass the Bechdel test?

(not a bad thing)

bitey fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bitey posted:

Late to the party here, but has anybody noticed how far the movie goes out of its way to pass the Bechdel test?

(not a bad thing)

Uh, when do two female characters ever speak alone?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh, when do two female characters ever speak alone?

I thought the test didn't need them to be alone, which would be... Six-Horse Judy and Minnie?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What kind of stupid metric is that if the rest of the film treats the main female character as a punching bag for the men and subhuman? If you care about something as arbitrary as the Bechdel test, wouldn't the rest of the movie infuriate you? "Oh two minor females had a 5 second conversation this film is a great representation of real females in the real world."

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just checked mine:

I got Mannix!

I gotta say, people who say the 70mm was wasted on the cabin set are full of poo poo. It's a huge interior and the extra space really heightens both the physical and emotional spaces between the characters. So much of the film relies on where the characters are actually physically inhabiting the set but there are also so many great scenes where there is a gigantic gulf and physical distance between characters which really heightens the tension. There is so much visual richness packed into every scene, not even just the absolutely stunning wilderness shots. Tarantino knew exactly what he was doing when he pushed 70mm for this movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This is the movie Chiraq wished it was.

E: also, shout out to the dumb bitch at the music box in Chicago who felt the need to take a loving picture of the screen as the movie started and the loud white rear end in a top hat who HO HO HO HAD TO LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW loving FUNNY HE FOUND THINGS! WHAT! OH MAN! I'M LAUGHING HARD BECAUSE HE SAID friend of the family! SHE REALLY TOOK ONE THERE! DID THAT HAPPEN? WELP, THAT TARANTINO AM I RIGHT? OH THATS THE TWIST! FAIR ENOUGH!

Jesus loving Christ white people are the worst. Thank god he talked his rear end right to sleep halfway through the movie.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 31, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So I liked Hateful Eight, and I'm also a huge fan of Clue and Rashomon. Anybody got any recommendations for someone who enjoys whodunits/suspenseful dramas/westerns? (Of course they don't have to belong to all three genres.)

The Proposition is a great western that's not set in the West. Not a mystery movie though, definitely suspenseful at times.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Aramis posted:

Thinking back on it, I think one of my favorite thing about the movie was the red Jelly Bean shot as Warren entered Millie's.

My spouse and I called it "Chekhov's jelly bean."

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So I was looking back at the writeup of the readthrough that was held post-leak and when the whole project was supposed to be shelved, and it's kinda funny that Tarantino had everyone who was recast pose in the same row:

pwn posted:

Re: The souvenir programs: From what I've gathered, there are at least 8 different centerfold posters. Since there is a collectable angle with them and others might be curious what they look like, I thought I'd post the ones I've seen so far. Ruth is mine and Domergue, Bob, and Warren are from friends across the country.

Edit: When I went with my friends we all got Ruth; a friend in Miami went two times a few days apart and got different ones each time.

That's pretty cool, my showing in Kansas City had Warren.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

What kind of stupid metric is that if the rest of the film treats the main female character as a punching bag for the men and subhuman? If you care about something as arbitrary as the Bechdel test, wouldn't the rest of the movie infuriate you? "Oh two minor females had a 5 second conversation this film is a great representation of real females in the real world."

The Bechdel test was meant to be an aggregate of the films hollywood released, not on a case by case basis

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Mine was in Irvine, got Joe Gage. Asked my friends and they got the same one too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone know the name of the creepu atmospheric track that plays when O.B.'s putting the safe cords?
Also, poor O.B. All he did was accept the wrong job.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
OB is the one not completely abhorrent person in the bunch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think I found the name of the track I was looking for: 'Eternity', from The Thing's soundtrack.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Him pulling the short straw when came time to get rid of the General's body clearly cemented his status as the movie's Charlie Brown.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 1, 2016

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, was I the only one who thought Minnie's stew was Minnie stew ?

The movie had a very strong Ravenous feel to me as well.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone know the name of the creepu atmospheric track that plays when O.B.'s putting the safe cords?

It's a track from "The Thing." I thought for all the time they spent putting up those lines that they would do more with them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was his name O.B.? Or Obie?

Because I've met more than a couple country boys named Obie, but never an O B.

I had a cat named O.K. once, it stood for orange kitty.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I just saw the Roadshow 70mm in Tyson's Corner in McLean, VA - and got the Warren poster.

What a fantastic loving movie, and goddamn if this didn't sell me on all movies having intermissions.

coyo7e posted:

Was his name O.B.? Or Obie?

Because I've met more than a couple country boys named Obie, but never an O B.

I had a cat named O.K. once, it stood for orange kitty.

The credits name him as O.B.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

Nah, they made a point to point out that Samuel L Jackson's character distinctly recognizes the taste of Minnie's stew, as she cooks it a certain way I'm assuming since he compares it as being recognizable when compared to other stew he's had in the past.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sarchasm posted:

I feel like Reservoir Dogs is closest to The Hateful Eight in tone and theme, so you might want to keep that in mind when you're setting your expectations.

Really?

I'd tell people that it's very similar to the bar scene in Inglourious Basterds, with gore similar to both Django and Reservoir Dogs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
At one point I thought they called Minnie by Ming and I was surprised to find out she wasn't Asian.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I

ruddiger posted:

Nah, they made a point to point out that Samuel L Jackson's character distinctly recognizes the taste of Minnie's stew, as she cooks it a certain way I'm assuming since he compares it as being recognizable when compared to other stew he's had in the past.

But he also really went out of his way to say regardless of the meat the stew always had the same flavor.
(Still, I don't think it was cannibal stew)

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
did anyone else already discuss that this movie was just a western-style retelling of "The Thing"?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

commieB posted:

did anyone else already discuss that this movie was just a western-style retelling of "The Thing"?

Other than they both have blizzards, it doesnt.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DarkSun6890 posted:

But he also really went out of his way to say regardless of the meat the stew always had the same flavor.
(Still, I don't think it was cannibal stew)

I meant initially thought it was human stew. They made many references to it and focused on people eating stew and Samuel L. talking about the taste made me think it was up until they showed the flashback and showed it wasn't. I think it was Tarantino having fun hinting at the possibility in the early part of the movie.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Out of interest who was recast? I didn't keep up with any prehype

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Out of interest who was recast? I didn't keep up with any prehype

It's pretty obvious Oswaldo was written specifically for Christoph Waltz.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So much so that my wife and I both had the same criticism that it felt the actor was portraying Waltz instead of the character.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'll be totally honest, me and my roommate both thought it was Waltz and he was just a really incredible actor. God drat it.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Red posted:

The credits name him as O.B.

For like at least the first full hour I thought his name was Ol' Bee.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Armyman25 posted:

The movie had a very strong Ravenous feel to me as well.

I honestly felt the same way and thought the movie was going to go in a different more interesting direction then it took.

All and all it's my least favorite of Tarantino's movies and could have used a good 40 minute trimmed from the run time, maybe even dropping the General's whole story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

axleblaze posted:

OB is the one not completely abhorrent person in the bunch.
You didn't stick around for the after-credits scene? You missed out.

• Locked thread