Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

im excited for cyberpunk 2077 even though its release date is probably shortly before the game takes plce

CDR said they're deliberately keeping mum about it until they're done with The Witcher 3's expansions. Blood and Wine looks rad as hell so I'm fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hearts of stone was really good, i hope blood and wine is as good or ?! better ?!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EvilMike posted:

its interesting at first, but a big flaw in witcher 3 (probably its biggest) is that you're practically guaranteed to overlevel the content unless you beeline the main quest and skip optional stuff.

well, yeah, if you do absolutely everything of course youre going to be overgeared and overleveled for the main content. ive never heard of an open world RPG that has fixed this issue unless the main quests auto-leveled with you, and that design has its own obvious problems.

if you crank the difficulty up all the way even weak poo poo 10 levels below you will loving destroy you, maybe geralt gets some OP abilities in later levels but i'd be disappointed if he didn't.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcxP0GURck

Hearts of Stone had good music.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Are the expansions purely end game or am I missing out by not having them in first play through

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

crunk dork posted:

Are the expansions purely end game or am I missing out by not having them in first play through

ive been wondering this cause if so i need to buy them now

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hearts of stone can be played at any time but its difficulty means it's best left till after the main game. that said, how far you are through the main quest & expansion quest affects dialogues in both, because of course it does, cdpr thinks of everything.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There's a new game plus, and you can do them after the main story ends.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

o'dimm's leitmotif is so good. children sing a nursery rhyme about him too, which is creepy & cool.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bobnumerotres posted:

if you crank the difficulty up all the way even weak poo poo 10 levels below you will loving destroy you, maybe geralt gets some OP abilities in later levels but i'd be disappointed if he didn't.

Yeah I feel this did a pretty good job, or at least, good enough job in that even a group of low level Drowners will gently caress you up if you get lazy and cocky with combat. haappened to me a lot because I was like hey im like 10 levels above this dude should be no problem, oh gently caress I'm dead??

Which is actually pretty cool that leveling does confer a bunch of advantages but you still need to not be stupid when fighting. Maybe it's more dependent on the difficulty since I think I'm on second to hardest or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

on easy and normal you can basically do whatever you want in a fight as long as the enemy doesn't drastically outlevel you, and even then, once you have witcher gear or solid armor in general you could probably take on that level 18 gargoyle at level 12 and take a couple of hits from it

hard and v. hard is where enemies actually become more aggressive and know how to dodge and block, so you need to use your head. plus you dont get free heals from meditating

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

There's a new game plus

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the only thing that has upset me in this game so far is that they do that dumb thing where vendors have their own wallets and they can run out of money buying stuff from you, it can be pretty annoying when you just want to unload junk on some random merchant and hes loving dirt poor

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
The card game in this game seems extremely cool... Possible contender for god tier mini card game in rpg along with triple triad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
It is really good and very win. I sucked it at until I got a decent Nilfgaard deck and got good enough to just force a draw at worst. Once I got Decoys+Spies+Medics I started winning a lot more. There's actually a crazy amount of different ways you could build a deck it seems. The elf cards and bonuses seem stupid and I don't like going first so I don't think I'll ever bother playing them, but I'm hoping to get a good monster deck at some point since they seem good when they spawn like 10 more cards.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I left the tutorial area early by accident and was upset because there was like a billion sidequests I had been meaning to do

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you can go back any time

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

BBJoey posted:

you can go back any time

so can you.. to gbs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its actually recommended you 100% the tutorial area before you do anything else lmao. youll be fine on the main quest but literally everything else past the tut. is extremely dangerous

crunk dork posted:

The card game in this game seems extremely cool... Possible contender for god tier mini card game in rpg along with triple triad

it seems like they put a lot of love into this as well but i have 300% ignored it. im here to kill poo poo not play some weird strat game within an rpg game. thank GOD you are never ever forced to play it at all and it is 100% optional. witcher 2 would make you play its gambling thing various times cause i guess the programmers behind it would be furious if there was a possibility players would never even see that poo poo and it sucked i had no idea what was going on

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 1, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

ive been wondering this cause if so i need to buy them now

the rec level to start the dlc stuff is like level 30 and as far as I can tell it doesn't add any lower level items or zones to the game world

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There was a dumb dice game subquest in Witcher 1 that was completely optional where you could challenge an underground dice pro in each area, if you kept it up the whole game when you meet the king he reveals he's a massive dice fiend and the underground champion and challenges you.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the rec level to start the dlc stuff is like level 30 and as far as I can tell it doesn't add any lower level items or zones to the game world

It has the cheapest, best horse gear (saddle, blinders, saddlebags) in the game. You just need to have a little money and win a race. Other than that, no, you won't be able to tackle the DLC until near the end of the main story without some horrible grinding.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i swear there are like 10 ppl with that avatar and i dont know which is the cool person

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i swear there are like 10 ppl with that avatar and i dont know which is the cool person

Nobody with an ice rear end is cool

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

crunk dork posted:

so can you.. to gbs

o_o

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bobnumerotres posted:

rest assured it is I, the cool ice rear end

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Somebody made a mod to replace all the combat in the game with forced Gwent battles.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
should I start with witcher one
If I like that, should I play this or play "Witch Her, Too."

I normally don't play 1000 hour plotty games but I've been considering this one

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Just start with 3

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Acne Rain posted:

should I start with witcher one
If I like that, should I play this or play "Witch Her, Too."

I normally don't play 1000 hour plotty games but I've been considering this one

Play Witcher 3. If you can't get enough of the storytelling and don't mind janky combat, play 2. Read a plot summary for 1.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

1 is bad. 2 is pretty good but has a lot of dumb poo poo. 3 is the best one and you should frankly just play that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i spent close to my whole day playing this..really getting into the meat of the game and they're upping the ante

everyone ive met from witcher 2 so far doesnt care about anything that happened in that game. one of the critical decisions that determines like 40% of the content in that game involves siding with this dude Roche or someone else, i sided with him and did everything, saved his friend Ves, etc.

meet roche and ves in this game, ves has 2 lines and roche is just like "hey thanks for helping me stranger" lmao dont bother with witcher 2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the things that bothers me is how sometimes you can be nice, but sometimes you only get one conversation choice and that choice is always to be the rear end in a top hat money-grubbing Geralt. I guess that's on purpose though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

geralt is an rear end in a top hat, and he only cares about his daughter and loving witches (hence the enemy bandit quip: "God drat err..WITCH FUCKER!!")

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tbh im most in love w/ geralt when he is threatening someone

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

i spent close to my whole day playing this..really getting into the meat of the game and they're upping the ante

everyone ive met from witcher 2 so far doesnt care about anything that happened in that game. one of the critical decisions that determines like 40% of the content in that game involves siding with this dude Roche or someone else, i sided with him and did everything, saved his friend Ves, etc.

meet roche and ves in this game, ves has 2 lines and roche is just like "hey thanks for helping me stranger" lmao dont bother with witcher 2

if you didn't side with roche then when you go to meet roche and ves you have to fistfight a blue stripes dude and then roche says you're cool now and ves still has 2 lines

the only decision that matters is whether or not you killed letho. If you didn't you get an extra sidequest + help with a mass effect style 'gather your allies' thing later, and if you did then you get jack poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

as part of a main quest it suggested I play gwent (the card minigame within the game) with patrons of some secret club to gain information on the club's owner, i was terrified for a moment thinking "oh god do i really have to do this poo poo" but you can just piss off the patrons and murder everyone in the bar and one of the bodies will have a key that leads you to the end of the quest lmao

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if you didn't side with roche then when you go to meet roche and ves you have to fistfight a blue stripes dude and then roche says you're cool now and ves still has 2 lines

the only decision that matters is whether or not you killed letho. If you didn't you get an extra sidequest + help with a mass effect style 'gather your allies' thing later, and if you did then you get jack poo poo

lol @ both of these sentences

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

every major decision boils down to:

1. i am 1500s james bond and ill get what i want quietly and with cunning
2. i will murder everyone in this room and maybe one guy will smell like berries and ill follow the scent to the next guy i need to murder
3. i'll help you but...you need to pay me more

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there's one other kind of decision introduced later in the game: are you a good dad or a bad dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes it just feels like the game is saying, check it out! This aint basic cable, bitch! Like the game version of an HBO show.

• Locked thread