Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Any Delta force 1 / 2 players ? Novalogic were great back in the day. Fuckin Custom maps were so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

UT2000: the last great online shooter you could pirate

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Mad Monk posted:

Full towers

Is there any real impediment to using these towers for more recent components?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

The Goatfather posted:

UT2000: the last great online shooter you could pirate

My right index finger started twitching involuntarily when I read this post.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Fasdar posted:

Is there any real impediment to using these towers for more recent components?

Nope! My basement server is an i5 with a few HDDs in an ancient case with a TURBO button. As long as its ATX you're good.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

simosimo posted:

Any Delta force 1 / 2 players ? Novalogic were great back in the day. Fuckin Custom maps were so good.

Oh hell yes. Those games taught me the value of sitting on a hill with a big sniper rifle contributing nothing to my team while dominating the score boards!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember the first time playing Delta Force and accidentally killing myself with an explosive barrel and I got the message "Mak0rz got tired of life" and I thought it was pretty funny.

We also did a mission where we had to get on a helicopter at the end. When I first saw it I started to shoot at it (I can't remember if I was just loving around or if I thought it was an enemy) but I stopped once I realized it was the mission goal. When inside you were able to look around and chat for a few seconds while the chopper was flying off before the mission ended.

I looked at the floor and fired a single pistol bullet. Little did I know I earlier shot up the helicopter to just a couple of hitpoints from annihilation. It went up in flames and we failed the mission.

Thankfully my teammates thought it was hilarious.

Delta Force owned.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The game that pushed 386 cpus into our homes...

https://youtu.be/GbzioZBTUIU?t=41s

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

revmoo posted:

Nope! My basement server is an i5 with a few HDDs in an ancient case with a TURBO button. As long as its ATX you're good.

Any heat dissipation issues that they didn't plan for 20 years ago?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

simosimo posted:

I remember public servers being rampant with autonade hackers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remember that!

pepito sanchez posted:

i played a few of the super classic games posted here when i was a kid but tribes needs a mention

And I did mention Tribes earlier, but didn't post a screenshot. Arguably the best multiplayer FPS of all time.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Our flag is not in the base

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Iron Crowned posted:

A working Jaguar? :vince:

To this day I have a couple of brand new Jaguars in my garage with CD (toilet) attachments.

I also have a Virtual boy for that matter too. One new in box but the other in a foam lined form fitting hard case from Blockbuster that I picked up in the 90s for something like $25 when they were dumping them. I should fire it up for the hell of it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

blugu64 posted:

Any heat dissipation issues that they didn't plan for 20 years ago?

None. A box is a box

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

A working Jaguar? :vince:

the jaguar system is generally pretty reliable afaik

its the jaguar cd that will explode into bits if look at it funny though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bonzo posted:

:canada:

Bits and Bytes was a Canadian television series, produced by TVOntario in 1983. It starred Luba Goy as the instructor, and Billy Van as the student.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VaBYw3swyg

Holy poo poo, that's a blast from the past. There was some public access channel in Edmonton that had some 30 minute program about HOME COMPUTERS and it was sort of a talk show format where they had a guest and the host would interview and take calls from viewers. The viewers were generally 6-14 year old boys that only wanted to ask which computer had better graphics, the Commodore 64 or Apple II. Or Coleco ADAM the odd time.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone remember Homestead website builder? There were so many 'my family!' websites - do these exist anymore? Like modern versions, or are they all pretty much blogs, or melted into being Facebook now?

Geocities, tripod, yahoo [and it's groups], angel fire and lycos [black labrador as their mascot?]

Chatrooms! I remember being part of the official website Stargate SG1 chatroom years ago, no idea how I got into it either as I never saw the drat program, I think I was just amazed I managed to get into a chatroom back then. It was weird, the main SG1 website had 'games' (clickable little gifs/ .swfs?) and you got points/currency for stuff. Strange what you remember....

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

simosimo posted:

Chatrooms! I remember being part of the official website Stargate SG1 chatroom years ago, no idea how I got into it either as I never saw the drat program, I think I was just amazed I managed to get into a chatroom back then. It was weird, the main SG1 website had 'games' (clickable little gifs/ .swfs?) and you got points/currency for stuff. Strange what you remember....

I remember Yahoo and MSN Chat. There was a room for absolutely anything and everything.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
It's amazing how dumb MSN messenger sounds today, but at the time it was cutting edge [socially].

I always loved the folks who would download MSN plus. Plus would allow for things such as coloured usernames, and to anyone who would not have plus, this would appear as gibberish code.

Mess.be was a MSN HAX website, although most were soft 'hacks'. Such as disabling 'winks ' which were ANNOYING forced animations on your chat window which were initiated by the person you were chatting to (and could absolutely be abused)

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

blugu64 posted:

Bring back the blink tag

Won't somebody think of the epileptics?

ashgromnies posted:

You clearly didn't use Windows 95 much. Back then, developers were kind of dicks and the DLL search order wasn't as refined and separate between system and application as it is today, so applications would install THEIR versions of DLLs into the Windows system directory, occasionally horribly breaking things.

I used 95 from when it came out until XP came out, and on my 95 machine I ran 3 different web servers (Microsoft Personal Web Server, O'Reilly Website and Apache), an IRC server, a DNS server (maybe under Cygwin), and somehow was still able to surf the web and run mIRC. 95 wouldn't boot after I uninstalled some dodgy software that Microsoft sent me as a reward for having on my home page, so between the broken (beta?) software I hackily removed and the stuff that was meant to be there, it was definitely a miracle it worked. But maybe I just didn't generally install software that was as lovely as everyone else who was re-installing 95 all the time. I know everyone said it would improve your performance to re-install but I couldn't be hosed having to re-install all the 100 different programs I used occasionally.

Man, XP was such a huge improvement, and Cygwin was so bad under 95.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I remember when I got a win 98 shell mod for WIN7. Good times. I miss the gradient blue toolbars.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I only played with MS Comic Chat once or twice to see how it worked (I used a real client, mIRC), but lol at the example conversation that is shown on Wikipedia:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

gently caress blink, bring back marquee

Buttcoin purse posted:

I only played with MS Comic Chat once or twice to see how it worked (I used a real client, mIRC), but lol at the example conversation that is shown on Wikipedia:

I feel like i am the closest i have ever been to understanding jerkcity

How many of those visual IM things were there in the 90s? i remember my bro using one of them in 98/99 and i thought it was the coolest poo poo ever but I have no idea what it was and by the time I started doing poo poo online a couple years later it seemed like they were all totally dead+gone

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pepito sanchez posted:

i played a few of the super classic games posted here when i was a kid but tribes needs a mention

i don't think i was ever so blown away by the massive maps and being able to fly in ships with my team etc. it was 1998 and ran fine on a lovely pc with software graphics acceleration

It's a travesty that the Tribes Vengeance reboot was a commercial failure.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

simosimo posted:

I remember when I got a win 98 shell mod for WIN7. Good times. I miss the gradient blue toolbars.

I remember people perceiving those blue gradients as really cutting edge because Windows 95 only had flat colour toolbars. It's funny how much gradients featured in late 90's design generally. I guess actual textures used up too many resources or something.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I was stuck with Windows 95 for ages and thought these gradients were so cool. Then came along the blue XP bar.......

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Lathespin.gif posted:

The following post was largely made possible by these two companies:

:patriot:

:allears:

Glad to see we had the exact same childhood.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I remember getting my Tiny PC Ltd PC in 1998 and getting G Police with the system and thinking how poo poo it was.

I also got :

Flight simulator 98
3D Movie maker
encarta 98
Design it 3D
Monster truck madness 2 demo
Jazz jackrabbit 2
Redline racer

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

HEXEN.

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

Great game but SW:Dark Forces was more my jam. Especially with the cheat code la postal.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE
parents bought a 66mhz sx packard bell and a week later they dropped the price of the 66dx to the same price we paid for ours. also

"you just won yourself a price enforcer!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I enjoyed making fun of classmates who had a 486sx. Me with my 386 + 387, I could do anything they could do, and a year earlier.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

from the first page:

www posted:

Interactive Encyclopedia!!!!
man i learned SO MUCH poo poo from the compton's interactive encyclopedia that came with the family compaq. by 8th grade i could tell you all about all of the quantum mechanical particles in the universe.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My first PC was a microchannel PS2 with twin hdds, 16mb ram, a Cyrix 32mhz cpu, and a soundblaster. BOW DOWN.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!

did you guys know that you cant hide the nag window in mirc now? the unlabelled checkbox in the corner that used to keep it from popping up disappeared several years ago

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

The Goatfather posted:

Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!
Ping? Pong!

did you guys know that you cant hide the nag window in mirc now? the unlabelled checkbox in the corner that used to keep it from popping up disappeared several years ago

look at this fag not using xchat :smug:

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE
for my 8th grade graduation my mom got me a p75 computer that cost like 2,300 bucks. i don't think she was done paying it off until after i was out of high school :unsmith:. i don't know why, i got poo poo grades and there was like a 6 foot by 4 foot section of pink referral slips i had tacked to my wall because i was proud of being a dip poo poo for some reason.

also my uncles new wife was some big wig at maxis and i got all the free maxis games and she gave my my first modem. 28kbps us robotics external. i fondly remember waiting like 5 minutes for a poorly photoshopped picture of cindy crawford sitting on a huge dong.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

The bit with the huge mounted crossbow thing that you used to destroy (or knock a hole in the side of) that tower blew my mind.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Buttcoin purse posted:

The bit with the huge mounted crossbow thing that you used to destroy (or knock a hole in the side of) that tower blew my mind.

Ringing the bell in the belltower in the first mission was always cool to me, since "Doom didn't do that!" Ah, I always wanted to play that coop at some point :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Look at this saucy bitch

Bet nobody realized they were dialing into an actual physical rack of thirty of these things, each with its own phone line, all plugged into a Livingston PortMaster

I'm serious, this was real