Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Colonial Nation bit is interesting, I told Holland to cede the Eastern US to me, which was given to my colonial nation. They got revolts and I wasnt paying attention so New Holland released, as my colonial nation. So now I have two east coast CNs who hate each other for having each others cores.

I'm only trucebreaking to try and get colonials from annexing their overlords instead of fighting directly. Spain/France are 1-2 war jobs now. Everything east of Africa is mine except Japan and Ternate. Its either trucebreak party, mop up German minors, or start on GB. Guess I should build a fleet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
I've never played any of these games, what should I pick up during the Steam sale?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any way to counteract Agitate for Liberty or do I just have to take it? I feel like it raises Liberty Desire way faster than I can feasibly lower it.

Prestige is the best way. If you're a colonizer you should be swimming in prestige by the time you have 2 or 3 colonists. Conquest of Rome, Jerusalem, and Mecca give +1 Prestige per year, and between a few of those and ideas to help prestige most larger nations can easily sit on 50-60 Prestige. Otherwise just look around for easy wars to enforce 100% of demands to farm prestige

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

firestruck posted:

Is this specific to colonial nations of hordes? What about them makes them full of rebels like that?

It's a problem for colonial nations, but worse for hordes. Colonial nations have a problem because they never take humanist and are composed entirely of the provinces I'm stealing so everything is wrong religion for them and 0% religious unity is boosting up national unrest past 0 so disasters start ticking fast. And because they never take humanist all of that separatism that I don't have they do (separatism is weird, it's nation specific so if you have -20 years of separatism you get +5 RR, but if you turn it over to a colony those -20 years don't vanish, that's just a modifier that gets applied to the full +15RR you're not seeing). CN's also don't take religious so enjoy dealing with this poo poo for decades.

On top of that hordes are particularly bad because horde CNs have nomad government instead of republics or kingdoms. Horde unity drops like a stone due to their inability to loot and raze provinces with any competence. They can actually raze provinces they get in peace deals on their own, but the AI is dumb as a box of rocks so don't expect this. And legitimacy, unlike horde unity, actually gives better -RR than horde unity does and usually doesn't drop at a rate of 5 points a year. Plus, I'm fighting non-stop wars so their WE will rise on its own because there's no colonial nation version of scutage or even a 'don't gently caress up my tribal feud CB' button and when rebels do pop CNs will march their garbage soldiers across five thousand miles of the Americas so they can fight a battle in Oregon instead of dealing with rebels in Patagonia. Rant over. I hate CNs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mentos Dan posted:

I've never played any of these games, what should I pick up during the Steam sale?

If you're talking about Paradox Grand Strategy games in general they have a package deal which is on sale at the moment if you're interested in trying all their games out. A couple of the games included run off their older engine and are distinctly less newbie-friendly though; you might just want to check out EU4 and CK2 which are the more modern Paradox games.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just get EU4. CK2 is bad now.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Get common sense and art of war at the very least, as well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

GreyPowerVan posted:

Just get EU4. CK2 is bad now.

It does feel rather neglected, even though the Horse Lords DLC came out not too long ago!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So any general tips for winning the league war?

Any way to get neutral parties like masocvy or the ottomans to join my side?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

cool and good posted:

The way I counteracted it was to spend 10 minutes looking at the ideas of every country by me to find which fucker took espionage. Then I marched an army by him and was about to declare when it stopped.

I don't know if it was just a coincidence that they stopped doing it then or what but it was kind of cool.

Update/tip - I also spent a few minutes looking at every country near me, picked up the two that had Espionage, and then improved relations with them. They stopped Agitating for Liberty and things are cool now. So, one way to deal with Agitate for Liberty is just to make the offender like you more.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never played much in the HRE, and I want to try a game as Lubeck (formerly the Hansa). Anybody got any hot tips for them, especially now that they start as an OPM?

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
What are you supposed to do when you call in two allies promising territory and war ally A occupies all the territory war ally B will accept in the peace?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kiss ally B goodbye.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Keep the war going until one of them separate peaces out. (Note, this is probably a bad idea)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mentos Dan posted:

Get EU4, at a minimum. For the list of each DLC and what it does, go here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content

The Art of War and Common Sense expansions are absolutely critical, as they add a significant number of wartime and peacetime features. The rest of the expansions are also great, but maybe less essential if you just want to sample the game. However, as a first-time player (3 months ago) I jumped in and bought everything (because it was cheap anyway) and didn't regret that at all.

Look at Expansions first, then Flavor Packs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you plan on playing Muslims I'd rate their flavor pack (Star and Crescent) as more important than something like Conquest of Paradise which does approximately jack poo poo for everyone that isn't a Native American team (who are tedious to play at the moment anyway).

e: also you can do just fine without any of the expansions. the most important one by far is The Cossacks, which isn't even on sale yet. it's a good time to pick them up (i doubt there'll be another sale for a while; the next dlc is probably a long way off) but don't feel like you have to to be able to enjoy the game.

CK2 is starting to get a bit bloated but it's still good and fun.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 31, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DeeEmTee posted:

What are you supposed to do when you call in two allies promising territory and war ally A occupies all the territory war ally B will accept in the peace?

Mostly cry, send Wiz mean tweets.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Koramei posted:

If you plan on playing Muslims I'd rate their flavor pack (Star and Crescent) as more important
Really? I was just looking at that, and honestly, everything but the unite islam decision seemed awfully forgettable.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah it's not like it's a must buy, but it adds a bunch of events to one of the most widespread religions in the game. Depends on how much you play outside of Europe I guess. I know I notice the events pretty regularly, which is more than I can say for the native mechanics you get in Conquest of Paradise.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Strudel Man posted:

Really? I was just looking at that, and honestly, everything but the unite islam decision seemed awfully forgettable.

Isnt that the same pack that comes with flavor missions and unit models for muslims?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
You know what's fun? Finding out that when you have a colonial war, where you call your protectorates, stuff they siege is transferred to one of your colonial nations' control. And of course they don't transfer it to you. So thank you, Juanpur and CN Brazil, for loving up my planned route of conquest into China. I hate you all.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Koramei posted:

e: also you can do just fine without any of the expansions. the most important one by far is The Cossacks

I would recommend not getting the Cossacks as a new player. It changes a lot of things that aren't clear and hell, it's not a very good expansion anyway b

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

I would recommend not getting the Cossacks as a new player. It changes a lot of things that aren't clear and hell, it's not a very good expansion anyway b

Sadly, agreed.

Also it's very nearly as expensive as all the other major expansions put together, right now.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think its good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

If you plan on playing Muslims I'd rate their flavor pack (Star and Crescent) as more important than something like Conquest of Paradise which does approximately jack poo poo for everyone that isn't a Native American team (who are tedious to play at the moment anyway).

e: also you can do just fine without any of the expansions. the most important one by far is The Cossacks, which isn't even on sale yet. it's a good time to pick them up (i doubt there'll be another sale for a while; the next dlc is probably a long way off) but don't feel like you have to to be able to enjoy the game.

CK2 is starting to get a bit bloated but it's still good and fun.

We're talking about a new player, so they should probably be starting with easy mode nations like Castille and Portugal (or I guess Ottomans but they're probably not the best nation to start with). But really, nothing in any of the flavor packs is "must have"

And what about The Cossacks makes it the most important expansion? It all seems superfluous to me, a lot of good changes but probably not worth getting at full price if you just want to sample the game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Finally got a good Kazan WC start going I think. Hallelujah.

Average Bear posted:

I disagree. If you think you're going to buy it, you might as well buy it now. Cossacks gives you Estates and those are good enough that you might as well start with them.

The more I play the more I'm convinced Estates are absolutely brilliant.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've got a question about assigning provinces as of vital importance of the AI. Say that you have the Ottomans as the ally, and the Mamluks as the enemy. The Ottomans have set every Mamluk province as vital. If you took Mamlukean provinces in your own war, without involving the Ottomans so you don't owe them anything, will that province still be marked as vital to them? Essentially making them hate you?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

I've got a question about assigning provinces as of vital importance of the AI. Say that you have the Ottomans as the ally, and the Mamluks as the enemy. The Ottomans have set every Mamluk province as vital. If you took Mamlukean provinces in your own war, without involving the Ottomans so you don't owe them anything, will that province still be marked as vital to them? Essentially making them hate you?

From my experience, no, it won't. Unless they have a claim on the province they'll remove it instantly and only mark the current lands of any rivals/enemies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Odobenidae posted:

From my experience, no, it won't. Unless they have a claim on the province they'll remove it instantly and only mark the current lands of any rivals/enemies.

That's nice. Do you think it is a different case if they have historical missions, like Conquer Levant or Conquer Egypt?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

QuarkJets posted:

We're talking about a new player, so they should probably be starting with easy mode nations like Castille and Portugal (or I guess Ottomans but they're probably not the best nation to start with). But really, nothing in any of the flavor packs is "must have"

And what about The Cossacks makes it the most important expansion? It all seems superfluous to me, a lot of good changes but probably not worth getting at full price if you just want to sample the game

Transfer occupation and army templates were the only super important things from Art of War, and you get them/ an alternative to them bundled in with Cossacks. The diplomacy is also totally different from the basegame version, and that's one of the most important things for newbies to learn; not to mention estates. I agree it isn't necessary for full price though.

I agree Star and Crescent isn't very important (hardly any of the DLC is relevant for newbie teams though), but Muslim teams are some of the most widespread in the game. I notice those events a hell of a lot more than anything from Conquest of Paradise or the non-Custom Nation stuff in El Dorado.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I come back from not playing a while and see there's a new expansion. What stuff will I be missing out on without Cossacks? Feel free to just point me at a post because I'm an idiot who's too lazy to read.

Also, why do I see so many people playing as Kazan in my brief scan of the thread?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They buffed hordes in general but also took free maintenance out of their ideas and into the government form, so if you decide to reform the government, Kazan has probably the strongest horde NIs. Also, they can easily conquer Asia and Africa with vassal-blocking since they are in Europe.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

That's nice. Do you think it is a different case if they have historical missions, like Conquer Levant or Conquer Egypt?

Those missions only fire if the mamluks own a province in the levant/egypt IIRC, and if they take the mission while you own a province in egypt it only gives them claims on the mamlukean lands. Sharing that area with the ottomans is tricky, before the Cossacks I could never keep good relations with them, it was just a matter of time before they turned on you. The only times I've done it since I've been swimming in favours with them so they were at least content with me existing in the area.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you're reforming as a Horde, you're forming Qing for the achievement, or you're doing it wrong.

Node posted:

Yes. They still need to take those provinces to complete the mission, and they will immediately drop the alliance to do it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fister Roboto posted:

To me what's obnoxious about them is that the UI isn't very useful when dealing with them. For example, if I want to give the nobility a province, I'd ideally want to give them a province with high autonomy and a high proportion of manpower that doesn't have a valuable trade good. But I have to flip through three or four different map modes or multiple ledger pages to figure out what the best province would be. It's very tedious, especially once you start to get big.

Couple pages back but, yes, that's a fair criticism - the "assign provinces" mode should really call up a couple of pertinent stats on your provinces.

Also I just discovered you can set up a Custom Nations game with only one nation and the game works and runs fine. I started a country in the Faroes whose ideas were almost entirely devoted to colonization just to see how it went!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just booted up EU4...What happened to Iron Man Mode?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Its still there now an option when you start a game. It pops up at you so you cant get it wrong.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I bought EU4 at launch but hadn't put much time into it until now. I played hundreds of hours of EU3 so I'm still a bit confused by some of the differences but it's a real good game.

One question:
I'm playing as Poland and from reading this thread, the Westernize decision should be available if I core Gdansk (which I've done), but ingame it says I need either Vienna or Prague. I'm playing with all dlc except the Cossacks. Bug or do I need to form the Commonwealth or something first?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I think they restricted it to culture groups, so the Russians can Westernize off of Danzig, but perhaps not Poland.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just booted up EU4...What happened to Iron Man Mode?

Yeah, its selected after you hit play now, and its a much better spot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Chicken posted:

I bought EU4 at launch but hadn't put much time into it until now. I played hundreds of hours of EU3 so I'm still a bit confused by some of the differences but it's a real good game.

One question:
I'm playing as Poland and from reading this thread, the Westernize decision should be available if I core Gdansk (which I've done), but ingame it says I need either Vienna or Prague. I'm playing with all dlc except the Cossacks. Bug or do I need to form the Commonwealth or something first?

Danzig only applies to Russians and Finno-Ugric cultures.

• Locked thread